Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Lemon Meringue Pie..Please (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/529950-lemon-meringue-pie-please.html)

NGJ26 12-08-2007 04:48 AM

Lemon Meringue Pie..Please

Good Day All,

This site is fabulous :love: I have spent the last week, reading and enjoying, so many recipes, so little time.

After hours of searching, I did not come across a recipe for this type of pie. I'm ready to use Kevinpa's Pie Crust :cool: but desperately need a good LC filling...

Any help will be appreciated.

Sincerely
Natasha

Kevinpa 12-08-2007 05:01 AM

I have never done a lemon filling before but the meringue on the following pie worked real well.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ibs-crust.html

Grace 12-08-2007 06:19 AM

This is Taterhead's recipe (thanks Taterhead!) for the filling. I've been using for several years and think it's wonderful - virtually indistinguishable from the high carb version. I've also made coconut pie by leaving out the lemon juice and zest and adding coconut plus sprinkling coconut on top of the meringue. There are many versions of crusts available some using nuts and some using low-carb flours. You can do a search and find which one appeals to you. If I'm making this just for DH and me I don't even bother with crust - cuts the carbs and calories.

6 egg yokes
1 packet unflavored gelatin
1-cup water
1-cup Sugar subs
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 tbsp butter
1/3 cup lemon juice
2 teaspoons lemon zest ( must have)
1/4 tsp salt

In a LG sauce pan blend all indredients until smooth using wire whisk, then turn on the heat. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly until slightly thickened. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until set. Meanwhile cook your crust and allow to cool.

Whip up the 6 egg whites until soft peaks. Sprinkle with 1 Tsp cream of tartar and 1/4 c Sugar Subs, continue whipping stiff peaks form.

Pour filling into cooled crust, top with meringue and bake until light brown (400*). Put in refrigerator over night. DO NOT try and cut this open until very very very cold, because you'll have lemon soup. AND NO lemon jello doesn't work with this....I tried that trick all ready

NGJ26 12-08-2007 07:20 AM

Thank you! Thank you! The kindness and sharing on this site is heart warming. I am making this pie for some very special grandparents and a lovely woman who misses her husband who passed on after 50+ years of marriage and this was their favorite!

Now I can make it knowing it shouldn't send them into "Sugar Shock"

Thanks again,
Natasha

Barbo 12-08-2007 11:41 AM

Natasha

How did the pie turn out? Was everyone pleased?

I would love make this and it sounds so simple. Yeah for me a simple
person lol:D

rosethorns 12-08-2007 12:09 PM

taterheads pie is so good I've made several times. Barbo you will be very happy if you make it.

Barbo 12-08-2007 12:24 PM

Youse is a good kid Rose

Thanks Rose for the good advice.

It's just what I'm craving.

:hugs:

mac24312 12-08-2007 12:48 PM

Sound really good. I want to fix this. Now you all can give me the link to Kevin's pie crust that would go good with this so I wont have to go thru so may post!!

Thanks and HUGS
Christina

Kevinpa 12-08-2007 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac24312 (Post 9606067)
Sound really good. I want to fix this. Now you all can give me the link to Kevin's pie crust that would go good with this so I wont have to go thru so may post!!

Thanks and HUGS
Christina

About halfway down the first post in my sticky is the pie crust link.

Barbo 12-08-2007 01:33 PM

This is an add for the lemon meringue pie

I'm using Tooter's recipe for pie crust and am going to make mini-lemon meringue pies. Just another idea for you plus Tooter's pecan pies are heavenly.

Low Carb Mini Pecan Pies
By Tooter from LCF

Crust:
2 Tablespoons butter
1 1/4 cup of almond flour
4 oz (half of an 8 oz package) of cream cheese

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Soften cheese and butter and blend well. Stir in flour. Chill 1 hour. Shape into twenty-four 1-inch balls. Place in ungreased small muffin tins. Press down to form crust.

Filling:
1 egg
1/4 cup of Splenda
1/2 cup of Brown Diabetisweet
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
Dash of salt
3/4 cup of chopped pecans

Beat egg, sweetener, butter, vanilla, Molasses and salt until smooth. Divide half the nuts among pastry cups. Add egg mixture. Top with remaining nuts.
Bake for 25 minutes or until Golden brown.

Loosen the mini pie's sides with a teaspoon, then scoop them out and set them aside to cool.

mac24312 12-08-2007 01:37 PM

Thanks both of you!! I might try both of them with different pies to see how they turn out.

Later and HUGS
Christina

rottinluv 12-08-2007 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbo (Post 9606174)
Low Carb Mini Pecan Pies
By Tooter from LCF

Crust:
2 Tablespoons butter
1 1/4 cup of almond flour
4 oz (half of an 8 oz package) of cream cheese

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Soften cheese and butter and blend well. Stir in flour. Chill 1 hour. Shape into twenty-four 1-inch balls. Place in ungreased small muffin tins. Press down to form crust.

Filling:
1 egg
1/4 cup of Splenda
1/2 cup of Brown Diabetisweet
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
Dash of salt

Beat egg, sweetener, butter, vanilla, Molasses and salt until smooth. Divide half the nuts among pastry cups. Add egg mixture. Top with remaining nuts.
Bake for 25 minutes or until Golden brown.

Loosen the mini pie's sides with a teaspoon, then scoop them out and set them aside to cool.

I don't see molasses listed in the ingredients list. How much do we use? Also, do we use mini muffin pans or regular muffin pans?

Thanks! These sound really good!

Tooter 12-09-2007 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rottinluv (Post 9606654)
I don't see molasses listed in the ingredients list. How much do we use? Also, do we use mini muffin pans or regular muffin pans?

Thanks! These sound really good!

You don't see the molasses because she used the "Brown" Diabetisweet.

In my original recipe, I didn't have the "Brown", I used regular diabetisweet and about a teaspoon of Blacks strap Molasses.

------------
Filling

1 egg
1/4 cup of Splenda
1/2 cup of Diabetisweet
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon Black Strap Molasses
Dash of salt
-------------------
Oh and use the "Mini" muffin pans.

HTH.

NGJ26 12-09-2007 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grace (Post 9604885)
brown (400*). Put in refrigerator over night. DO NOT try and cut this open until very very very cold, because you'll have lemon soup. AND NO lemon jello doesn't work with this....I tried that trick all ready

Well I made two pies, the crust came out wonderful ! I used Kevin's recipe, the one that uses his LC cake & cookie flour.

One pie I made using Tater's recipe, just popped it in the fridge... its very soupy... is this right ? I hope so...

The second pie I needed for today so for the filling I used:

1 Splenda quick pack ( equal 1 cup sugar)
1/3 cup Equal for baking

1/2 cup cornstarch ( was to scared to try a low carb replacement- any suggestions will be greatly appreicated )

1 2/3 cups water

2/3 cup lemon juice

zest of one small lemon

1 tsp lemon extract

6 yolks

3 TBS butter

Put everything in a pot except egg yolks & butter. Stir over medium-high heat until thickened. Gradually stir 1 cup hot mixture into yolks; stir mixture back into pot. Bring to boil stirring 1 minute. Stir in Butter. Pour into crust.

For the topping for both pies*: I beat the 6 egg whites until soft peaks formed... then I sprinkled over 1 TBL Cream of Tartar, then I beat in one 12 oz. jar of Walden Farms Zero Carb Marshmellow cream... beat until stiff peaks. Spread over filling, sealing edges to crust, Bake until Meringue is browned to your liking. I didn't time it exactly but it seemed to take about 20 minutes.

*the amounts listed is for one pie. I made two seperate batches.

Tomorrow when we cut open the Pie made using Tater's filling recipe I'll let you know what I think. I can hardly wait.

BTW the second pie filling is ready to eat as soon as it reaches room temp. Now to replace that pesky cornstarch

Tater Head 12-11-2007 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NGJ26 (Post 9609277)
Well I made two pies, the crust came out wonderful ! I used Kevin's recipe, the one that uses his LC cake & cookie flour.

One pie I made using Tater's recipe, just popped it in the fridge... its very soupy... is this right ? I hope so...

I haven't made it in a while but I don't remember it being soupy. Did you follow these directions? it does get even thicker after it is cold.

In a LG sauce pan blend all indredients until smooth using wire whisk, then turn on the heat. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly until slightly thickened. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until set. [COLOR="Red"]I let it set overnight after adding the meringue[/COLOR]

NGJ26 12-12-2007 05:31 AM

Lemon Pie set up nicely

How did I ever doubt you ? After chilling overnight, the pie set perfectly.
:high5:

I guess my concern was I didn't see any thickening during the cooking process maybe my gelatin was too old..

It was delicious and I too recommend it for any missing Lemon Meringue Pie !!

eterprincess 07-04-2013 02:09 PM

So I know it's a way old thread, but found this recipe and its in the oven with the meringue now. DH loves the taste of the filling, so fingers crossed!!

rosethorns 07-04-2013 06:48 PM

Janna you will love this pie filling. Now I want to make one. YUM.

dianafoot 07-05-2013 05:31 AM

Now I have two to try! I found this one in an old Stella-style cookbook and the video is online here: Lemon Meringue Pie (Video) Looks delicious!

CarolynF 07-05-2013 07:00 AM

I will definitely make this soon....Thanks for the bump...

dianafoot 07-05-2013 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eterprincess (Post 16500314)
So I know it's a way old thread, but found this recipe and its in the oven with the meringue now. DH loves the taste of the filling, so fingers crossed!!

Let us know how it came out!