Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2007, 06:56 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: feather319
Stats: started: 180 lowest:127 now:184 goal: 140
WOE: Ketogenic/Anabolic/Paleo
Start Date: April 2002 Reinducted 2009
Low carb grapenuts!

I finally made grapenuts - or something like it. I've been making homemade low carb granola but hated the high calories. After reading the back of a grapenut cereal box, I found it was made of whole wheat flour so I looked it up online and created a low carb version.

Ingredients:
3.5 cups of some kind of flour. I used 1 cup carbquick and 1 cup wheat protein isolate. You could probably use soy flour too.
2 cup low carb milk (I used soy slender)
.5 T vinegar
1 tsp baking soda
.5 tsp salt
3/4 cup sugar twin brown sugar
a little cinnamon

spread on baking sheet in a thin layer. Use two sheets if necessary. Bake at 350 until it is like a cake. Take out of oven, break up the cake in pieces. Bake again and after about 15 minutes break up cake pieces again. Repeat the process of baking and breaking until the "cake" chunks are completely dried out and have reached a small size. Mine took about an hour. Let cool completely and break up chucks even smaller.

Eat! This cereal has that hard crunch of grapenuts and does not get dried out. I really enjoyed it. Good luck!
feather319 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2007, 07:13 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Cereal from Netrition

It's a cereal called Smaps made by Dixie Carb Counters and I ordered it
from Netrition. I is like grape nuts, inasmuch as it is a hard cereal. Takes
a long time to eat 1/2 c. with LC milk. The one I bought is sweet maple
flavor, and I think that ti comes in other flavors. It's 71 calories for 1/2 c. serving, 9 grams carb with 7 gms fiber giving you a net of 2 gms carb per serving. It also gives youi 16 gm of protein, 2 gm fat
Barbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 07:26 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
[COLOR=Red]Feather, do you know about what quantity of cereal you came up with?

I looked at the Smaps & the price sent me scootin. Course if I figured the cost of makin this recipe, it might too!

All this specialty stuff is not cheap!!!!! Whether we make it ourselves or buy it already made.

Came back to say, I clicked on you "My Pictures" link, and it just took me to MY flickr account, not yours.
[/COLOR]

Last edited by crazywoman-n-wy; 12-01-2007 at 07:30 PM.. Reason: comment to Feather about her pics link
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 07:30 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Dear oh dear Crazy

Believe me it will take me 6 months to eat this whole box. lol

It took 20 minutes to chew 1/2 c. with lc milk. I mean it's really crunchy
and chew chew chew. If you have TMJ I do not recommend this cereal
Old 12-01-2007, 07:37 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

I love smaps but it is rather pricy. The cereal I made is cheap. The low carb cereal I buy including hi-lo and smaps is so expensive. I came up with 4 cups of cereal about 200 calories and 5 net carbs per cup.

Billy, my pics don't work. Yahoo pictures ended their photo service and automatically transfered my pics to flickr. my free trial ended and now I lost all my pics!!! :-(
Old 12-01-2007, 07:46 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

[COLOR=Red]Thanks Feather. I may possibly give them a try one of these days. Sure wouldn't hurt to have the oven on lately. Matter of fact I'm contemplating making a cheesecake in a bit.
It's kinda late to back, but at the same time, I won't want to eat it till tomorrow anyway. It's help warm the house. I've got the ingredients coming to room temp now, so guess I better make it!

That is really odd about the flicr acctount ending. I already had a flickr account, and so sent my Yahoo pics over there too. My account is free. Nothing said either time (when I set up the account or sent my yahoo pics over) about it being a trial. Thankfully my Yahoo pics are still there. Hmmmmmmm.... Wonder whats up with yours being dumped.

Hmmmm....... I just went back and looked at my page again. It says my account has expired!!!!!!!!!! But right now the pics are still there. Haven't finished reading it yet to say what will happen! Gotta go check it out!!!!! Yikes!!!!!
Nothing was ever said to me that the account could/would expire!!! I wouldn't have sent those pics there, I had other options!!!!!! I have most of them somewhere else, but I'm not positive I have them all elsewhere. Thanks for drawing my attention to that fact!
[/COLOR]

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.
Old 12-02-2007, 05:06 AM   #7

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
I have always been a cereal lover and is one of the things I miss the most about eating LC since it is really hard to find one low enough in carbs and still tasty enough to enjoy it.

I tried making these last night but opted to make 1/2 of the above recipe just in case I didn't like it.

The following are the ingredients I used and followed feather's directions.

1 3/4 cup LC cake and cookie flour mix(carbquik version)
1/2 cup CC milk
1/2 cup sf Monin vanilla syrup
1/2 tsp vinegar
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Although I made my cereal pieces larger than grape-nuts and the fact that they look amazingly like bread crumbs, they are very very good.
Super crunch with a delicate sweet taste and hold up great to milk.
I think they make a great little snack too.

Using the syrup as the sweetener also leave open the door for easy flavor change.

I can also see where these may work well used in other recipes.
My batch made 3 cups @ about 5 carbs per cup and thats not a bad bargain for cereal.

Thanks for the recipe Feather
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00015a.jpg (52.3 KB, 153 views)

Last edited by Kevinpa; 12-02-2007 at 05:08 AM..
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 06:26 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yummy's_Girl
Stats: 168/134/130-135
WOE: A way of my own
Start Date: June 2006
What a neat idea!
Yummy's_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 06:50 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: mac24312
Stats: 250/130/140
WOE: Stella Style/My OWN LC WOL ;]/Maintenance
Start Date: October 07 2006 Over 6 years on Atkins ;]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinpa View Post
I have always been a cereal lover and is one of the things I miss the most about eating LC since it is really hard to find one low enough in carbs and still tasty enough to enjoy it.

I tried making these last night but opted to make 1/2 of the above recipe just in case I didn't like it.

The following are the ingredients I used and followed feather's directions.

1 3/4 cup LC cake and cookie flour mix(carbquik version)
1/2 cup CC milk
1/2 cup sf Monin vanilla syrup
1/2 tsp vinegar
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Although I made my cereal pieces larger than grape-nuts and the fact that they look amazingly like bread crumbs, they are very very good.
Super crunch with a delicate sweet taste and hold up great to milk.
I think they make a great little snack too.

Using the syrup as the sweetener also leave open the door for easy flavor change.

I can also see where these may work well used in other recipes.
My batch made 3 cups @ about 5 carbs per cup and thats not a bad bargain for cereal.

Thanks for the recipe Feather

Yes Feather and Kevin, These look very good. I was getting ready to buy that cereal off of Netrition but now I have changed my mind. I want to try this in LC Rice Krispie bars unless you have another idea for making them.

Thanks both of you and HUGS
Christina
mac24312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 07:02 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

No problem everyone! Kevin, I love your recipes! I love how you and lindasue post pictures and experiment.

To make the pieces more like grapenuts you have to put it in a food processor or blender to get them grinded. Be careful though. If you pieces aren't completely dry, you'll end up with gummy stuff instead.

Billie, if you figure out how to get your pics back without buying an account with flickr, let me know! I was terribly distraught when I learned my life of pictures were gone and I dont have back ups on all of them. :-(
Old 12-02-2007, 07:46 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
So Kevin, would you make a full recipe because you liked it so much?

I'm wondering if a bit of malt would add the barley flavor. . .but it really doesn't matter, it's all about the crunch, the amount of calories and carbs, and the convenience.

Are you keeping this in the fridge or on the shelf???
magnamater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 08:17 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnamater View Post
So Kevin, would you make a full recipe because you liked it so much?

I'm wondering if a bit of malt would add the barley flavor. . .but it really doesn't matter, it's all about the crunch, the amount of calories and carbs, and the convenience.

Are you keeping this in the fridge or on the shelf???
Yes, I will make this again and a full recipe in different flavors. I plan on keeping them in the airtight container you see in the picture in my pantry. I bought a bunch awhile ago at walmart for 97 cents each.

To get mine done all the way and very crunchy it took about 90 minutes but for the last hour I lowered the temp to 300 degrees.
Old 12-02-2007, 01:33 PM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: davem
Hi Feather, this cereal sounds like a great idea. BTW, I logged onto my account at flickr then searched for the username in your link. It found you and I was able to see your pics. They're not lost!
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 01:47 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: mac24312
Stats: 250/130/140
WOE: Stella Style/My OWN LC WOL ;]/Maintenance
Start Date: October 07 2006 Over 6 years on Atkins ;]
Quote:
Yes, I will make this again and a full recipe in different flavors. I plan on keeping them in the airtight container you see in the picture in my pantry. I bought a bunch awhile ago at walmart for 97 cents each.

To get mine done all the way and very crunchy it took about 90 minutes but for the last hour I lowered the temp to 300 degrees.

Kevin, Wonder if these would work for Rice Krispies? I am wanting to use them in your LC Rice Krispie treats but really dont want to pay the price for snaps.

Thanks again!
Christina
mac24312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 01:54 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac24312 View Post
Kevin, Wonder if these would work for Rice Krispies? I am wanting to use them in your LC Rice Krispie treats but really dont want to pay the price for snaps.

Thanks again!
Christina
My guess would be no. I'm not saying the result would not be good tasting. I'm just thinking they would not resemble rice krispies treats.
Old 12-02-2007, 02:58 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by feather319 View Post
Billie, if you figure out how to get your pics back without buying an account with flickr, let me know! I was terribly distraught when I learned my life of pictures were gone and I dont have back ups on all of them. :-(
[COLOR=Red]Diana,
I don't know what to tell you. I was still able to look at mine last night. When I looked at it it just said that my pro account was expired. But my pics were still there.
I already had a free account before I sent my Yahoo pics there. That's one of the reasons I sent them to that site.
I was even able to add 3 more pics. There are some things that you can do with a Pro account that you can't with the free account, but not enough to buy the pro.
I didn't think to try to look you up like davem did. ....... Well, just went & tried that, but I didn't know what/who to look for. ......... OK, figured it out. Yep, I found ya too. But I'm not sure how you can access them. ?????

I do hope you can get them back!!!!!!
[/COLOR]

Last edited by crazywoman-n-wy; 12-02-2007 at 03:00 PM..
Old 12-02-2007, 05:53 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
My guess would be no. I'm not saying the result would not be good tasting. I'm just thinking they would not resemble rice krispies treats.
I agree. These seriously taste like grapenuts - hard and crunchy. You would never make rice krispie treats with grapenuts would you?
Old 12-02-2007, 07:21 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jennywren
OH feather!!! THANK YOU for this GREAT idea!

As I read your post earlier tonight, I went straight to the kitchen and made up my own experimental "half-batch". Used Kevin's recipe tweaks: his cake & cookie flour, 1/2 c. sugar-free coconut syrup to sweeten, plus about 1/4 tsp coconut flavoring. Then, after it was baked and crunchy, I added in some sliced almonds, and a sprinkling of unsweetened coconut shreds, letting them toast slightly. (I also made a little larger-sized crumb, as Kevin had suggested.) Can you say Coconut-Almond Clusters? [COLOR="Red"]OH! MY! GOSH!! [/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]YUMMM![/COLOR]

In the interest of science, y'understand, I already tested a little with a bit of cream and a pinch of Splenda......Yup--it's cereal--and Yummy, stuff it is, too--with a serious crunch, that lasts to the end! Perfect little snack, for tucking into pocket or purse in a baggie, for when the munchies strike, I'm thinking. Thank You, Thank You! Only thing wrong was that I didn't make the full batch right from the start....LOL!

And while reg. Krispie Treats might not work, I'm thinking it may indeed lend itself to SOME sort of treat...maybe some kind of cluster-thing dropped on a sheet. Or drizzled with chocolate and pressed into a pan, then cut into bars or squares....or.....just need to think outside the box...

I'm thinking that when the creative folks on this site get hold of this, there will be alot of great ideas poppin' up around here, for this little goodie.

Feather, you're AWESOME!!
Thanks again,
Jen
Jennywren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 01:07 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kisal
WOE: Basic low carb
Start Date: October 15, 2004
Thank you, both, Kevin and Feather! This is wonderful news for me! I just don't like Smaps much at all. Now, I can have cereal again once in awhile.
Kisal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 01:50 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

You're welcome. If you think about the recipie, it is really just super dried out flour that has been sweetened but I guess that is what grapenuts is.

Jen, I'll have to try the coconut thing! What a great idea!
Old 12-04-2007, 01:53 PM   #21
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
I just thought of a good Christmas cookie-LC Haystacks. Melt some Lindt Dark Chocolate and roll or drizzle with this (instead of the Fiber One Cereal).
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 03:02 PM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
This cereal recipe sounds great. I especially like the coconut idea. The good thing about cereal is it's a quick breakfast. My DH has cereal a lot and I always feel left out for not having any good lc cereal. I will definitely give it a try. Thanks Feather!
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 03:18 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisabinil View Post
I just thought of a good Christmas cookie-LC Haystacks. Melt some Lindt Dark Chocolate and roll or drizzle with this (instead of the Fiber One Cereal).
I think your on to something here Lisa
Old 12-04-2007, 03:23 PM   #24
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Quote:
I think your on to something here Lisa
I was trying to think of something to bring for our December food days here at work-I think I might just try this. I wasn't lc'ing last year and the whole place is up for grabs for 3 days of eating, eating & more eating. I'm bringing lc sf stuff and labeling it as such and this would be really portable.
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 07:21 PM   #25

LC Grapenut Haystacks

1 cup lc grapenuts
4 squares lindt 85 % chocolate
2 T. peanut butter
2 T sf monin vanilla syrup

Melt chocolate, peanut butter, and syrup.
Stir in lc grapenuts.
Form haystacks.
Chill to set.

Made 15 haystacks for a total of 13 carbs for all. Less than 1 carb each.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00022a.jpg (61.0 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00023a.jpg (69.1 KB, 45 views)
Old 12-04-2007, 07:29 PM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gotta tell you Kevinpa

Your imagination is endless.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:31 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbo View Post
Your imagination is endless.
Give Lisa the credit, she thought of it ....I just did it first.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:22 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kisal
WOE: Basic low carb
Start Date: October 15, 2004
Kevinpa, would DaVinci syrup work in place of the Monin? For some reason, I prefer to use DaVinci's.
Kisal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 08:35 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisal View Post
Kevinpa, would DaVinci syrup work in place of the Monin? For some reason, I prefer to use DaVinci's.
I guess it would. I used it to sweeten them a bit and thin the chocolate some.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:16 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: judytab
WOE: general LC
Kevin, do you think this cereal recipe would be good to use as bread crumbs for stuffing? Without the sweetener and cinnamon, of course. Maybe use salt and poultry seasoning, etc. Since it looks so much like bread crumbs I thought maybe it would work.
_____
Judy
judytab is online now   Reply With Quote