Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Yes its Mule Freak again w/another question, Sweetned Milk (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/528123-yes-its-mule-freak-again-w-another-question-sweetned-milk.html)

Mule_Freak 11-27-2007 08:19 AM

Yes its Mule Freak again w/another question, Sweetned Milk
 
Well as kids we called it "sticky milk" or Condensed Milk as its properly named.
Anyways, I did a web search of low carb cond. milk and it brings up this recipe which I have seen on this board before:

Low Carb Sweetened Condensed Milk


2 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
6 egg yolks
1 cup Splenda

Add ingredients one at a time in the order given in saucepan over low heat, Whisking well, (continue stirring) constantly until thickened. Cool completely & pour into Jar or other sealable container. Use within 7-10 days

Now I know Scott 123 or KevinPa has another recipe for Cond. Milk, but I can't afford all those special items.
So has anyone used this recipe above and had success? I mean when I web searched it, it was just every were, but only one person said one thing about it, and that was its kind of a custard style due to the eggs. I would love to make some "Sticky Milk" Fudge and wondered if this recipe has been tried/tested by any one here? Thanks for looking, and any help :heart:

Kevinpa 11-27-2007 08:53 AM

The other day I was trying a recipe and needed a can of sweetened condensed milk and tried the following:

2 cans 7.6 oz Nestle Media Crema
1/4 cup powdered whole eggs
1 splenda quick pack

Whisk to combine.

It worked perfect.
I plan on using this from now on. Very easy to prepare and seems to be a perfect sub taste and texture.

No need to heat the mixture since the powdered eggs are pasteurized.

Mule_Freak 11-27-2007 09:00 AM

Thank you Kevin, may I ask were would I find powered eggs in the grocery store? Near the eggs, or is it in another section. Heard alot of folks talking about powdered eggs but never looked for them. I normally shop at Walmart, Krogers, or Meijers stores. Sure Pa. has the same grocery stores as Ohio does, Thanks again Kev. :heart:

magnamater 11-27-2007 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevinpa (Post 9551767)
The other day I was trying a recipe and needed a can of sweetened condensed milk and tried the following:

2 cans 7.6 oz Nestle Media Crema
1/4 cup powdered whole eggs
1 splenda quick pack

Whisk to combine.

It worked perfect.
I plan on using this from now on. Very easy to prepare and seems to be a perfect sub taste and texture.

No need to heat the mixture since the powdered eggs are pasteurized.

Good to know, and I have the stuff. . .but can you share which recipe you used it for? IMWTK. . .like if it was for Key Lime Pie or for Hello Dollies. . .or for what. . .I had varying luck with Scott123's recipe. . .and this would be great. . .especially since so many holiday recipes call for SCM.

J.

Kevinpa 11-27-2007 09:17 AM

I bought mine online Sherrie at the same place where I bought my PB powder and freeze dried fruit. They were in a 2.25 lb can and will last 5 to 10 years unopened and 2 years once opened. I have never looked for them locally but I'm sure a large chain might carry a smaller package in the baking section near the powdered egg whites.

Kevinpa 11-27-2007 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magnamater (Post 9551872)
Good to know, and I have the stuff. . .but can you share which recipe you used it for? IMWTK. . J.

Not yet.....but soon.;)
I'm working on Christmas stuff so it will be before that.

jacksmixedtape 11-27-2007 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevinpa (Post 9551914)
I bought mine online Sherrie at the same place where I bought my PB powder and freeze dried fruit. They were in a 2.25 lb can and will last 5 to 10 years unopened and 2 years once opened. I have never looked for them locally but I'm sure a large chain might carry a smaller package in the baking section near the powdered egg whites.

Threadjack (sorry!): Kevin, What are the dried eggs useful for in recipes? What do they bring to a recipe that you can't get with fresh eggs? Are they worth getting?

TIA!

mac24312 11-27-2007 09:33 AM

Thanks Kevin for that nice update for the recipe!! :notwrthy: I get my powdered Egg Whites at our Local Kroger store. That is the only place I can find them around here.

Thanks and keep coming up with Great recipes Kevin!! Waiting for more easy ones that dont take alot of Expensive ingredients!!
HUGS
Christina

Kevinpa 11-27-2007 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacksmixedtape (Post 9551963)
Threadjack (sorry!): Kevin, What are the dried eggs useful for in recipes? What do they bring to a recipe that you can't get with fresh eggs? Are they worth getting?

TIA!

I bought them for several reasons.
They are pasteurized so you can use them without cooking and without the reservations you might have of using raw uncooked eggs.
Also to reconstitute them you use 1 part powder to 2 parts liquid. This makes them very handy when you have a recipe that you want to extra liquid to. The powder of 2 eggs will absorb an extra 1/4 cup of liquid(using it to reconstitute the eggs) and your recipe will not be overly wet.
HTH

Kevinpa 11-27-2007 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac24312 (Post 9551998)
Thanks Kevin for that nice update for the recipe!! :notwrthy: I get my powdered Egg Whites at our Local Kroger store. That is the only place I can find them around here.

Thanks and keep coming up with Great recipes Kevin!! Waiting for more easy ones that dont take alot of Expensive ingredients!!
HUGS
Christina

Christina, these are powdered whole eggs....not egg whites.

mac24312 11-27-2007 09:44 AM

Woops..lol..is there anyway of subbing real eggs then?
Thanks and HUGS
Christina

mac24312 11-27-2007 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevinpa (Post 9551914)
I bought mine online Sherrie at the same place where I bought my PB powder and freeze dried fruit. They were in a 2.25 lb can and will last 5 to 10 years unopened and 2 years once opened. I have never looked for them locally but I'm sure a large chain might carry a smaller package in the baking section near the powdered egg whites.

K..Kevin I will look. I have a amish store that sells stuff like that too not far away and just maybe they have them :aprayer: Do you have the web site where I can get these if I cant find them?
Thanks again!!:kicking:
Christina

Kevinpa 11-27-2007 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac24312 (Post 9552051)
Woops..lol..is there anyway of subbing real eggs then?
Thanks and HUGS
Christina

Sure, you could use real eggs if you were planning on cooking or baking what you using it in. The recipe I was experimenting with was a nobake so if I had used real eggs I would have had to heat the sweetened milk enough to kill the beasties in the eggs first.

Kevinpa 11-27-2007 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac24312 (Post 9552067)
Do you have the web site where I can get these if I cant find them?
Thanks again!!:kicking:
Christina

If you google "Powdered whole eggs" you will find them.

Mule_Freak 11-27-2007 09:56 AM

Oh Kevin my friend, Ye are the "Whip" Thank you so much ;)

mac24312 11-27-2007 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevinpa (Post 9552083)
Sure, you could use real eggs if you were planning on cooking or baking what you using it in. The recipe I was experimenting with was a nobake so if I had used real eggs I would have had to heat the sweetened milk enough to kill the beasties in the eggs first.

Thanks!! That will work then for my magic cookie bars!! Your my hero!! :notwrthy:
Thanks
Christina

drjlocarb 03-04-2011 08:30 AM

Saving Kevin's recipe.

Beeb 03-04-2011 09:36 AM

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ble-cream.html


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:30 AM.