Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2007, 01:34 PM   #91
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jlatislaw
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 18, 2012
This fudge is really good! DH also likes it (dang), but I can share if necessary.
jlatislaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2007, 03:21 PM   #92
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Itsanewme
Stats: 322/145/143-147
WOE: Weight Watchers/ Lower Carbs WLS 10/02
Start Date: Restarted 3/1/06
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaSue View Post
I used Kroger brand plain, not chunky, and I made a point of stirring it VERY well before I measured it. I took a really big butter knife and dug all the way to the bottom of the jar to get the thicker stuff up to the top. I've made the fudge twice now with that brand and didn't have any oil pooling at all. It was really bad with the almond butter though. You can't really see it on the vanilla/maple fudge but it looks like hardened grease on the top of the chocolate fudge.

Maybe Trader Joe's uses peanuts that are more oily. You may want to pour some of the oil off before you stir it next time.
I thought I was pretty thorough stirring it but maybe it did have more oil then usual. The next jar I open I'll pour a little oil out and try it again. I also use a knife to get down to the bottom. Someone needs to come up with a gadget that stirs natural peanut butter
Itsanewme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 06:05 PM   #93
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Quote:
I thought I was pretty thorough stirring it but maybe it did have more oil then usual. The next jar I open I'll pour a little oil out and try it again. I also use a knife to get down to the bottom. Someone needs to come up with a gadget that stirs natural peanut butter
[COLOR=Red]
They have!!!! There are actually several versions/brands out there. Since I can't give you a link to them, I'm not really sure how to tell you how/where to find them.

Smuckers actually makes one, but if I remember correctly, I wasn't too impressed with it. (Actually I just checked theirs out again. The actually do have 2 styles. One is like most of the other's I've seen.)

Do a google search for keywords peanut+butter+mixer. That should bring you some up.

[/COLOR][COLOR=Red]I thought all the ones that "we" (had a post about it on another site) found were a little pricey. But maybe I'm just a cheapscape. I haven't bought one. The price before shipping was bad enough, and I think you usually had to pay close to that again to get it.

They really are neat tho!!!
[/COLOR]

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.

Last edited by crazywoman-n-wy; 12-03-2007 at 06:08 PM.. Reason: include quote which I forgot
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 06:35 PM   #94
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Well I made this exactly according to the recipe today except used liquid Splenda. Boy it's good stuff!

Now, the fudge I remember was boiled fudge, not the stuff made with cream cheese or marshmallow cream, so this is NOT the same consistency as that old fave, but still it's quite delightful in its own right!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 06:49 PM   #95
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Just turn your jar of natural pb upside down in your fridge-when you open it the thicker part will be at the top.
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 06:38 AM   #96

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisabinil View Post
Just turn your jar of natural pb upside down in your fridge-when you open it the thicker part will be at the top.
I tried that once and it made a huge mess all over the inside of the lid. Never did that again. I just stir mine really well when I first open it and then store it in the fridge. It won't separate in the fridge or at least Kroger's doesn't. It's nice and spreadable straight from the fridge too.

I'm not sure what the point of a stirring gadget would be. I big knife works perfectly fine and is much easier to clean off than any gadget would be. I clean it off with my tongue, LOL.

Here's one that I found online. I don't see how this thing would be as effective as a big butter knife.

LindaSue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 06:57 AM   #97
Major LCF Poster!

Stats: 355/293/250 (1st goal)
WOE: Kamikaze Atkin's
Start Date: Dec 1, 2003 (first time) 10/18/12 (last time)
I made the fudge last night.....

I used chocolate truffle protein powder and now I have.....chocolate peanut butter fudge...........even my husband liked it and he doesn't even like real fudge....

There's something about the texture of this that I REALLY like.....most sugarfree treats don't do it for me, but this does. It's very satisfying.

Thanks SSS!!!!
Melle's_Sweetheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 07:19 AM   #98
Video Vixen

Gallery: vhodgkin
Stats: 190/160/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 21, 2004
Can't wait to try it! I LOVE PB.
vhodgkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 07:54 AM   #99

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaSue View Post
I tried that once and it made a huge mess all over the inside of the lid. Never did that again. I just stir mine really well when I first open it and then store it in the fridge. It won't separate in the fridge or at least Kroger's doesn't. It's nice and spreadable straight from the fridge too.

I'm not sure what the point of a stirring gadget would be. I big knife works perfectly fine and is much easier to clean off than any gadget would be. I clean it off with my tongue, LOL.

Here's one that I found online. I don't see how this thing would be as effective as a big butter knife.

I agree just one more gadget to clean!
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 08:20 AM   #100
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kissmygrits
Stats: 5' 10"
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Feb. 2006
Trying to mix in the oil with the PB drives me nuts! I usually splash the oil all over the counter...finally I bit the bullet, and with the last jar I opened, I used a spatula to scrape every bit into a Pyrex bowl, microwaved it for a minute, stirred it all together, and poured it back into the jar. The oil hasn't separated again. I use Costco organic, unsweetened PB.
Kissmygrits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 08:23 AM   #101
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
I just pour off the oil on top and stir what is left--works just as well--
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 12:47 PM   #102
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: scrappychik
Stats: Goal 145
WOE: Paleo & exercise!
Start Date: Re-start 09/01/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melle's_Sweetheart View Post
I made the fudge last night.....

I used chocolate truffle protein powder and now I have.....chocolate peanut butter fudge...........even my husband liked it and he doesn't even like real fudge....

There's something about the texture of this that I REALLY like.....most sugarfree treats don't do it for me, but this does. It's very satisfying.

Thanks SSS!!!!
Did you use the chocolate truffle protein powder made by Syntrax that is sold on Netrition? I would LOVE to make the chocolate PB fudge
scrappychik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 01:28 PM   #103
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SNUGGS11
Stats: 165/117/110?
WOE: ATKINS
Start Date: JANUARY 2003-maint.
I'm so happy this was posted. Since the posting I have made probably 5 batches of it. One I am taking to a party tonight. Both my husband and I love it greatly. I think the best part of it is that it's not super sugary like the marshmallow hc peanut butter fudge. that stuff is good but man you can only have a piece at a time. This is just right. I love it------thanks again.
SNUGGS11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 01:41 PM   #104
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
[Did you use the chocolate truffle protein powder made by Syntrax that is sold on Netrition? I would LOVE to make the chocolate PB fudge
Chubbiegrl: It seems so WRONG to call someone that!

Anyways--I used a low carb chocolate protein powder that it available here in Canada. I'm going to assume that any chocolate protein powder would do just fine!
Old 12-04-2007, 01:51 PM   #105
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: scrappychik
Stats: Goal 145
WOE: Paleo & exercise!
Start Date: Re-start 09/01/14
Quote:
Chubbiegrl: It seems so WRONG to call someone that!

Anyways--I used a low carb chocolate protein powder that it available here in Canada. I'm going to assume that any chocolate protein powder would do just fine!
Thanks for the information
scrappychik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 06:04 PM   #106
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ~mina~
mmm.. i made a double batch and drizzled with chocolate I used only one splenda quick pack (one = 1 cup) for sweetener in the fudge even though it was a double batch. for the chocolate topping I just melted .5oz bakers chocolate with a few T of butter and 2 capfuls of davinci (no flavor)... I tried to drizzle it but im not so good at that, so it came out more like cow spots haha. anyways.. we like it the second picture is what it looks like on wax paper before pulling apart the squares (the teeny ones were the testers ).. I cut it into 44 pieces (in a 13x 9 cake pan).. im hoping to keep these in a fridge container for a while, but DH really likes them!

ETA: I was wondering how these are kept out of the fridge? ie: I want to take them to work for a gf of mine. SNUGGS: how did they hold up? also: in case youve not seen me say it a million times, im allergic to PB so I use sunflower butter which to me tastes EXACTLY the same.

[COLOR=Magenta]Real integrity is doing the right thing, knowing that nobody's going to know whether you did it or not.
[/COLOR]

Last edited by ~mina~; 12-04-2007 at 06:07 PM..
~mina~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 07:03 PM   #107

Gallery: Purrgirl
Stats: 146/128 5'6
WOE: Vegetarian
That looks good with the chocolate on top!
Purrgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 07:06 PM   #108
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ~mina~
thanks! I would share.. but youre too far away hehe

but trust me, if mina can make it - so can you!
~mina~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 08:32 PM   #109
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SNUGGS11
Stats: 165/117/110?
WOE: ATKINS
Start Date: JANUARY 2003-maint.
OK-I took them tonight to a party--they were out of the fridgge for about 4 hours and they held up great. they are not as hard as in the fridge but not at all mushy or yucky. they are just a little softer but not fragile in anyway. great to take somewhere this Christmas season. Boy I love this stuff.
SNUGGS11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 05:57 AM   #110
Major LCF Poster!

The only thing that bugged me about the fudge is that my cream cheese wouldn't melt completely? I ended up with white spots.....did anyone else encounter this problem?
Old 12-05-2007, 06:02 AM   #111

Gallery: TXLoser
WOE: WW/LC
Start Date: January 2004
Quote:
The only thing that bugged me about the fudge is that my cream cheese wouldn't melt completely? I ended up with white spots.....did anyone else encounter this problem?
I did as well.
Somebody (I think in this thread) mentioned softening the cream cheese first to avoid those clumps
TXLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 07:02 AM   #112

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
Try using a whisk instead of a spoon to incorporate the cream cheese. Just the heat of the peanut butter/butter mixture hot from the microwave was enough to melt the cream cheese so that I could blend it in. I didn't even soften the cream cheese first but I did cut it into little bits as I added it to the bowl with the peanut butter. It will eventually blend in as the heat softens it but using a whisk make all the difference.
LindaSue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 09:14 AM   #113
Gadget Gal

I concur with LindaSue - the first time I used a spoon and it never wanted to fully incorporate - the second time used a whisk and it worked well!

Stir in the powder with a spoon though - it really gums up the whisk!
Old 12-05-2007, 09:32 AM   #114
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LaurieRobo
Stats: Maintenance 175/150/less than 150
WOE: Healthy Whole Food!
Start Date: March 2002
Ok - I admit... I've tried both - one w/ chocolate PP and one w/ Vanilla --- I used a combo of sweetzfree and vanilla stevia - yummy... I am trying to up my fat... and a good way

The only thing that would make it better is melted 85% dark chocolate on the top!!!!
LaurieRobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 09:48 AM   #115
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Linda Sue and Charski---I DID use a whisk, but perhaps I should have cut the cream cheese into chunks. I don't have a microwave, so I melted the pb and button on the stovetop. I thought the heat of the mixture would melt the cream cheese quickly and evenly. I will make the fudge again and I'll try letting the cream cheese come to room temperature first...that might help......
Old 12-18-2007, 03:12 PM   #116
Gadget Gal

Oh boy, IMHO, I think I just vastly improved this!

First, I thought it needed to be a bit sweeter - so I used 1/3 cup brown Diabetisweet and then the equivalent of 3/4 cup liquid Splenda.

Second, I added about a half teaspoon of vanilla.

Third, I added a scant half cup salted peanuts. I didn't chop them up any finer than they came out of the can.

Fourth, I melted a Villars 72% dark chocolate bar (about 3 oz.) with maybe a teaspoon of expeller-pressed coconut oil and stirred til smooth, then put THAT over the top of the thoroughly-chilled PB layer.

VA-VA-VOOOM it's so gooooood....

Thankfully it a) doesn't make a HUGE batch and 2) the bottomless pit aka dear stepson is home to help scarf it up!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Old 12-31-2007, 05:15 PM   #117
qbu
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: qbu
Stats: Never again/getting there/finally!
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 5, 2005
I just saw this recipe today. I had all of the ingredients and made it...it's so easy to make and it's so good!

Thanks for posting it!
qbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 08:07 PM   #118
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Irishnonee
sounds great. have to get some cream cheese.
Irishnonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 08:59 PM   #119
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
I made a batch of this before Christmas and I don't know where I went wrong, but it sure didn't look like Linda Sue's picture or Minas! I followed the recipe exactly as first posted except I used chunky pb. The mixture was kind of a "glob" and it was terribly greasy, I soaked up the oil a couple of times with paper towels before I piled it in a pan and let it chill. It tastes ok, I guess, but certainly not fudge-like, more like a glob of peanut butter. I won't serve it to anyone else and I'm not ever sure about keeping it for myself. I've never been a good fudge maker and this recipe looked so easy I figured even I could make it - where did I go wrong!

I keep telling myself that nothing tastes as good as getting to my goal will feel! -- Unfortunately, I don't always listen to myself!!
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 09:16 PM   #120
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kattbelly
I made a batch of this tonight and it turned out perfectly. I'll tell you exactly what I did.

I took my cream cheese and put it in a bowl and microwaved it on med. for 15-30 seconds to soften it, as in the past I had problems with it not incorporating very well.

I used Laura Scudder chunky s.f. peanut butter and coconut oil. First I melted the C.O. in the micro for 1 min. Then I measured the P.B. and the C.O. in a square pyrex glass pan, 8x8. In the past when I made this is was too "grainy" so I put my sweetners in at this time as well-1 T. Not Sugar and 1/3 C. brown diabetisweet.

I mixed it up a bit with my spatula so it would cook evenly, and then put it in the micro. for 1-3 mins. depending on how long it takes to melt. Every minute I stirred it, then reset for another min.

Then I used a whisk and whisked in the softened cream cheese till incorporated, then put my scoops of vanilla whey protein powder in (I used 360 brand from Whole Foods) and whisked that.

In the past I touched the top of the fudge with my finger or a spatula before it set up, and I got an oily residue on top. This time I left it on the counter till it came to room temperature-don't touch it-then I put it in the fridge till set.

It is perfect. Hope that helps someone.

"The chief cause of unhappiness and failure is trading what we want most for what we want at the moment."

"Our perception gathers proof that our beliefs are right."
Kattbelly is offline   Reply With Quote