Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2007, 11:14 AM   #1
mre
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 279
Gallery: mre
Xanthan gum to stabalize whipped cream?

Should it work?

Thanks!
mre is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2007, 11:33 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!
 
CarolynF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Kansas
Posts: 38,504
Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
I would use some SF vanilla pudding..Like a Tbs. or so..It gives a nice flavor at the same time. Put your cream and dry pudding mix in a bowl and whip as usual.
CarolynF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 02:29 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member
 
Crink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Northern CA
Posts: 596
Gallery: Crink
Powdered sugar is the normal stabalizer so why not Powdered Erytherol??? It would add the sweetness and stabalize it also!

If you use the pudding, be careful not to use too much....about a teaspoon to a cup of cream or it gets very very dry. I think this tastes more like cool whip than whipped cream.

Enjoy the holidays!
Crink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 02:38 PM   #4
mre
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 279
Gallery: mre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crink View Post
Powdered sugar is the normal stabalizer so why not Powdered Erytherol??? It would add the sweetness and stabalize it also!

If you use the pudding, be careful not to use too much....about a teaspoon to a cup of cream or it gets very very dry. I think this tastes more like cool whip than whipped cream.

Enjoy the holidays!

I think it's the cornstarch in the powdered sugar that stabalizes?

Thanks for the ideas!
mre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 02:39 PM   #5
mre
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 279
Gallery: mre
I'd like to avoid using gelatin or pudding mix. I'll experiment with the xanthan and report back!

Thanks again!
mre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 03:50 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!
 
crazywoman-n-wy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: WY
Posts: 2,474
Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
[COLOR=Red]mre, I use xanthan gum to stabilize my whipped cream. Can't tell ya how much to, as I never measure it. I just sprinkle a little in as I whip. I won't use the pudding mix. I've never found sf pudding mix that didn't contain aspartame. So I won't buy it.
Like you, I think it is probably the cornstarch in the pwd sugar (and the pudding mix) which stabilizes it.
[/COLOR]
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 04:20 PM   #7
mre
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 279
Gallery: mre
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywoman-n-wy View Post
[COLOR=Red]mre, I use xanthan gum to stabilize my whipped cream. Can't tell ya how much to, as I never measure it. I just sprinkle a little in as I whip. I won't use the pudding mix. I've never found sf pudding mix that didn't contain aspartame. So I won't buy it.
Like you, I think it is probably the cornstarch in the pwd sugar (and the pudding mix) which stabilizes it.
[/COLOR]
Like yours, mine came out great.

I was even able to add a significant amount of Pumkin Pie Davinci's and canned pumkin for a mousse without losing volume, once whipped.
mre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 04:48 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!
 
crazywoman-n-wy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: WY
Posts: 2,474
Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by mre View Post
Like yours, mine came out great.

I was even able to add a significant amount of Pumkin Pie Davinci's and canned pumkin for a mousse without losing volume, once whipped.
[COLOR=Red]Great!!!![/COLOR]
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:28 PM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.