Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2007, 12:32 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: laurie777
Onion chopper vs food processor?

Hi guys,

I used to have one of those "Vidalia chop wizard" machines because I eat a ton of onions. It was definitely a time-saver but unfortunately gave out on me. I'm going to buy another one, but I was thinking about buying a small food processor instead. A food processor would be more expensive but would have other uses as well. What I'm wondering is if food processors do a good job of chopping onions (for use in sandwiches) or if they just make a gooey mess? I tried chopping onions in a salad shooter once and it did not work at all - and I'm afraid that I would buy a food processor and it would do the same thing. Can anyone give me some advice as to what I should get?

Thanks,
Laurie
laurie777 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2007, 12:36 PM   #2
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
I have the small 3 cup Cuisinart processor and it does an OK job of chopping onions. You have to pulse it and watch it, or you'll get them finer than you want, but it only takes a few seconds.

And you're right, you can use it for TONS of other stuff too which I do!

I've never used the onion chopper you mention so I can't speak to which one would be BETTER but I sure love that little 3 cup processor - other times I'd do things by hand instead of getting the big ol' 7 cup processor out, but I'll get this little one and use it now instead of hand-chopping, and it's very easy to clean too.

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 12:38 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ReneeD70
WOE: lchf
I have both and tend to just use the food processor. I use it so often I just leave it on the counter, BUT the food processed chops it too finely sometimes, and the wizard gives uniform pieces. I guess it depends what you are using it for.....I use the wizard when making salsa...but use the processor for most everything else.
ReneeD70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 12:39 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
If you get a food processor, use the pulse button for chopping. That way you can pulse it until the pieces are the size you like. I have a regular food processor and a mini food processor and one of those $15 little black and deckers that when you snap the lid in place, it processes. I recommend getting one that has the pulse. The $15 one will make great salsa, but you have less control than with a machine that has a pulse. HTH

Oh, I meant to say that the mini food processor and the big processor work about the same except the big one holds more. If you don't want to spend a lot, you can get those little onion choppers at walmart. They have a pusher thing and a glass jar and it chops them up, faster than manually. Just a thought. I think you will like having a food processor though cuz you can slice and shred a whack of veggies at one time, great when ya make stir fry.

Last edited by Nigel; 11-18-2007 at 12:43 PM..
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 12:59 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
I vote for the processor. I have a Cuisinart mini prep processor and I think its perfect for small jobs and easy to clean. It has 2 pulse buttons on it, one for chop and one for grind.
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 02:53 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jlatislaw
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 18, 2012
I like both - but for chopping onions, celery, carrots, nuts when you don't want them turned into mush I prefer the PamperedChef copper. Here's a picture:

Food Chopper : Cutting Edge : The Pampered Chef, Ltd.
jlatislaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 12:41 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlatislaw View Post
I like both - but for chopping onions, celery, carrots, nuts when you don't want them turned into mush I prefer the PamperedChef copper. Here's a picture:

Food Chopper : Cutting Edge : The Pampered Chef, Ltd.

Yeah, the one at walmart looks similar to that one...
Old 11-19-2007, 01:09 PM   #8
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: ginabw
Stats: 159lb to 123lb 5ft 8in
WOE: Atkins Maintenance since 2/10/04
Start Date: 11/10/03
I have a small cuisinart and a vidalia chop wizard and the cuisinart is gathering dust and the chop wizard does everything. I think I like it better because it is smaller and not as many parts. I used the big chopper insert when chopping veggies for soup, I use the smaller chopper insert when making faux rice out of cauliflower. I use a hand grater for cheese because the cuisinart grated too fine.
ginabw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 12:28 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: laurie777
Well, since posting this original question I went ahead and bought a mini-chopper...it is a black and decker 3-cup that was highly rated on amazon. I've only used it once so far, but it works well and is very powerful for a $20 gadget. However, I'm having the problem I feared I would - it chops too finely. I chopped the onions using the pulse feature, and cut each one into 4 pieces before putting it in, but it still minced too fine. If I left them in for less time, large segments of onion didn't get cut at all...and I wasn't leaving them in for long as it is. I'll probably order a vidalia chop wizard as well, since I'm looking for more of a "coarse" chop, but I figured I'd ask...is there a technique to use to get bigger pieces? More/less pre-chopping, or a specific way to load the onions?

Also, any good uses for minced onions (or other veggies) that don't require much cooking skill or preparation? I've never made any recipes that require minced anything because I don't have the time to cook usually, but now that I have an automated mincer...I'm thinking of trying the cauliflower mock potatoes, but are there other simple ideas that you guys have?

Thanks so much,
Laurie
laurie777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 05:59 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kisal
WOE: Basic low carb
Start Date: October 15, 2004
This is just a wild guess on my part, as I've never tried it. I just use a sharp chef's knife when I want a coarse dice. I think the inner layers of an onion are probably more tender than the outer 2 layers. You might try chopping them first, perhaps 1 quarter of the onion at a time, using the Pulse. When that's done, do the outer couple of layers, again 1 quarter at a time.

I find that it's just a fast, if not faster, to use a knife. You can search Google for videos about how to chop vegetables. I have several bookmarked, because I had really terrible knife skills when I first began low-carb.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:19 AM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Babaki
Never ever use a food processor or grinder on onions. Onions would damage the blade and make it loose its sharpness. Seen people do it and done it myself. Its a big no no. Sounds stupid but its the truth.

My sister did that, ive done it and everyone around me knows it and experienced as well and regreted it and wont ever do it again. I wont. Rather doing it the old fashion way.
Babaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:45 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ann Lytle
I've used the small container that came with my Ninja for chopping onions for 2 years and haven't noticed the blades getting dull, maybe I've just been lucky so far............... Ann
Ann Lytle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 02:33 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babaki View Post
Never ever use a food processor or grinder on onions. Onions would damage the blade and make it loose its sharpness. Seen people do it and done it myself. Its a big no no. Sounds stupid but its the truth.

My sister did that, ive done it and everyone around me knows it and experienced as well and regreted it and wont ever do it again. I wont. Rather doing it the old fashion way.
Why would an onion dull the blades when other vegetables don't?

I have had mine over 10 years and use it at least every other day and for onions a lot and the blades are still plenty sharp.