Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   VitaMix HEAVEN! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/525873-vitamix-heaven.html)

Charski 11-12-2007 07:47 PM

VitaMix HEAVEN!

Does anyone else use a VitaMix blender? I've been using a VitaMixer Maxi 4000 for about 5 years and have loved it.

Well, I got a wild hair and decided I NEEDED the newer one, the 5000, especially after watching a demo about a month ago at Costco. So I watched and waited and finally bought a refurbished one from VitaMix. It came today!

First thing I made - purple-people-eater Wild Blueberry Ice Cream! MMMMM!!

It's SO easy - 1 cup of cream, sweetener to taste, a dash of vanilla, and a bag of Trader Joe's frozen Wild Blueberries. You throw it all in, put it on, and 1 minute later you have soft-serve consistency ICE CREAM! DH was amazed AND thrilled.

So I guess the old one is gonna go on eBay.... :cry: It's been such a good machine but I surely don't need TWO! ;)

If anyone else uses one of these wonderful machines, I'd love to share recipes!

Barbo 11-12-2007 08:07 PM

Blueberry Ice Cream ala Vita Mix

Char,

Can you get something like this in a plain Cuisinart?
I've never liked any of my ice cream makers as the product is so
difficult to get out once it is frozen.

What else can be done with VitaMixer?

Thanks,
b

Charski 11-13-2007 10:27 AM

Oh, don't start me on the VitaMix! LOL!! I wouldn't be without one at this point. DH was very skeptical when I bought the first one but he's been converted for ages now!

Go right to their website and watch their demos and check out their recipes too.

I've never tried to do that in the Cuisinart - not sure what would happen! I suspect the blades don't travel fast enough to get the same result, plus the VM has a 4-blade assembly.

My most frequent use for the machine is to grind 3 cups of flax seeds into meal in under 10 seconds, no lie!

I also made mayo in it last night. Worked like a charm. Easier to clean than the Cuisinart, which is what I HAVE been using for mayo. No more though!

rexsreine 11-13-2007 10:40 AM

I have a Vita-Mix, too. I use it most often for yogurt, fruit and protein shakes, though it can't be beat for finely pureeing anything that needs smoothing out. There is an on-line group for Vita-Mix but I haven't found much there that can't be had from the supplied recipe books. Haven't seen the blueberry ice cream before; will definitely give that one a go!

Ginny

RealFoodLiving 11-13-2007 11:34 AM

Hey Char,

They now have a NEWER one, the 5200. Check it out: (from their website)

Quote:

THE VITA-MIX® 5200

* NEW Eastman Tritan™ Container.
* NEW More efficient 2 peak HP motor.
* NEW Ergonomic soft-grip handle.
* NEW Easy to remove lid and plug.
* NEW Soft touch switches and dial.
* NEW Updated Whole Foods Recipes cookbook.
* NEW Cooking show quality "Let's Get Started!" DVD class.
* NEW Updated Getting Started guide

RealFoodLiving 11-13-2007 11:39 AM

I have a 5000 VitaMix and I absolutely love it. I use it every day for my protein shakes, nothing works as well.

Charski 11-13-2007 12:49 PM

I saw that! I got their email notification about it last week, after I'd ordered this one already - and I saw it again last night when I got on their website to look at recipes - told DH, "OH, now they have a 5200! I want it!" (joking of course) He looks at me with "that look" - priceless! LOL!

Crink 11-13-2007 03:44 PM

Love vita Mix....can't be beaten.

You can grind wheat with it, flax, nuts, make juice, smoothies, iced lates, mochas etc....
Wonderful for canning tomatoes....just remove the core, put them in and they grind up skin and all.....
Smashing strawberries..... wonderful.............!!!
Any fruit for jam
crushing ice
grinding nuts of all kinds into flour
it is a wonderful machine!!!

Barbo 11-13-2007 07:00 PM

Vita Mix Sigh.........

I will go to their website to see the video

Charski 11-13-2007 07:11 PM

I went to Trader Joe's this afternoon and came home with 1 pound bags of the following frozen fruit:

Dark cherries
Mixed berries/cherries
Mixed berries
Black raspberries
Strawberries

MMMMM I feel some TASTY ice cream/frozen yogurt combinations coming on over the next few weeks!

crazywoman-n-wy 11-13-2007 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbo (Post 9494726)
Char,

Can you get something like this in a plain Cuisinart?
I've never liked any of my ice cream makers as the product is so
difficult to get out once it is frozen.

What else can be done with VitaMixer?

Thanks,
b

[COLOR=Red]Barbo, I'm assuming by Cuisinart, you mean food processor. ?

You can make "ice cream" from cream & berries (sweetenters & etc to).
It might not be as quick as with the Vita Mix, and you may possibly (but not necessarily) have a few more lumps in it. As I said, you won't necessarily have any lumps.

Just put the ingredients in and blend till it is smooth & "ice creamy".[/COLOR]

Barbo 11-14-2007 07:17 AM

THanks CRZY and CHar

Well I know what i want for CHristmas.

Can this be purchased at CostCO?? I went online last night and watched
the videos. I would probably get the 5200, I just wonder what the difference is?

Has anyone made the hot soup?

This will be demonstrated at Home Shows, but not until 2008.

Charski 11-14-2007 09:33 AM

Costco doesn't normally carry it in stock - you have to buy it through their shows they put on there - or at least that's what the guy doing the demo told me!

I've not made the hot soup but I've made my BBQ sauce and "cooked" it right in the blender. Works great.

Santa should be tickled to know what you want! ;)

Barbo 11-14-2007 08:26 PM

Santa Said YES

:up: I am sooo stoked. Will probably get the 5200

Charski 11-14-2007 09:28 PM

OOooo, you are gonna have SO much fun!! What a nice Santa!

Zib 11-14-2007 10:47 PM

I LOVE my Vitamix. I bought it in 98 refurbished and it's used these days for Fawn's shake and for grinding flax seeds.

Thanks for the tip on the videos at their site. Guess where I'm off to. :cool:

shadowzip 11-15-2007 07:21 AM

I have wanted one for years, but have not been able to justify the expense, for myself. You guys are making me drool, since I am the original gadget queen!

Charski 11-15-2007 10:28 PM

OMG - DH and I had black raspberry frozen yogurt - SF of course - to DIE FOR GOOD!

Charski 11-24-2007 07:41 PM

Tonight's concoction - pineapple frozen yogurt! I had a fresh pineapple, which I cut up and gave half of to my mother - took my half, cubed, and put it in the freezer on a piece of foil. Used the frozen pineapple cubes in the VM tonight (9 oz. total) and 1/2 cup full-fat yogurt, a splash of vanilla, a packet of erythritol and 48 drops of liquid Splenda. Better'n any pineapple sherbet I ever ate!

froleena 12-07-2007 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MountainGirl (Post 9497500)
Hey Char,

They now have a NEWER one, the 5200. Check it out: (from their website)

I just ordered the 5200 deluxe package! I'll get it just before Christmas.
Thanks for the recommendations!

I'm psyched! :birthday:

Barbo 12-07-2007 09:24 AM

Me Too

I ordered it 3 weeks ago and it isn't here yet. So I sent a letter and said
Whar's my VitaMix....Maybe I should telephone them??

Does not look like it will be here before I leave for Mexico. That happens
on Sunday. Perhaps it will come while I am gone, it's only for a week.

You are all gonna be po'd with me for leaving all of this rain, and for some
of you snow, to be in Mexico enjoying the sunshine, the mariachias, the
margaritas, etc. etc. :sing: :sing: :sing:

Hey guys I need new cotton clothing, nothing here fits me anymore.

froleena 12-07-2007 11:22 AM

They said 2 weeks. They were backed up because of pre-orders and the Thanskgiving rush. I have her name and number if it doesn't get here. I need it for Christmas!! Waaaaah :p

Charski 12-07-2007 01:35 PM

You are gonna LOVE your new VM, froleena!

Barbo, I'm surprised you haven't gotten yours yet - call 'em up and holla at 'em! ;) Really, they have been more than nice every time I've called their 800 number. Go get 'em!

treadle 01-01-2008 03:25 PM

I have had a Vita-Mix for years and hardly ever use it, I'm embarrassed to say! I had a really old one that I sold after upgrading it to a 5000 I got at a Home and Garden show a few years ago. I guess I'm just not creative enough to use it! I really only use it for smoothies and not even that as I have started back on LC. Now I really don't know what to do with it! I copied your recipe for Blueberry Ice Cream, Char. I would love any and all recipes and tips on LC'ing with the VitaMix. Thanks in advance!!

Barbo 01-01-2008 07:02 PM

Vita-Mix Heaven

My machine the 5200 was here when I got home from Mexico.

I have made almond flour, some fabulous drinks ie,. white Russians,
made with my Mockahlua. I would like to know how to make mayonnaise
in it and would appreciate Charski's recipe for it. Have you ever made
hollandaise sauce in it and if so may I have your recipe.

terez 01-01-2008 07:06 PM

Do any of you take the blueberries, strawberries, etc frozen from Trader Joe's and just make a sort of fruit gelato without the yogurt, or anything else? I have a Magic Bullet and Ive made fruit gelatos, but they're just not cold enough to stay frozen for more than 30 seconds.

Cricket4t 01-02-2008 06:38 AM

Bumping to subscribe.... this is very interesting. I'm going to have to look into this. We are in need of a new blender.... the old one is on its last legs.

DH was just saying that he wanted to get a good blender this time instead of the usually piece of junk that we pick up at WalMart but I didn’t really know where to look for one.

treadle 01-02-2008 04:18 PM

Bumping up for Charski and her recipes!

feather319 01-02-2008 06:25 PM

What is the vitamix and how is it different than a regular blender or food ? I've never heard of this before. I have a cuisinart blender food processor that chops ice like nothing I have seen before. It even beats my magic bullet! The wattage is really high on it. I don't need a new blender/food processor because I currently own 2 but if they break, why is the vitamix so awesome?

NoMoreDrama 01-04-2008 07:01 AM

I want a Vita-Mix!!!! So MUCH!! My friend got one for Christmas and absolutly loves it. She got her's in the UK, they are not sold here:down:
Anyway I was wondering if they are sold retail in the states (Linen n Things, Walmart or at higher end stores? Crate n Barrel, William Sonoma??) I want to send my mom money to get me one. I'll be stateside this late spring and would :love: to be greeted by a new toy:D

Thanks in advance......