Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2009, 06:37 PM   #121
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Uh yeah - here it is:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ml#post9741041
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2009, 10:43 PM   #122
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: fourstubbs
Stats: 225/220/142.3/135
WOE: IDEAL PROTEIN
Start Date: Restart July 2012
Hi Char, you having me interesting in a vitamix now!! Can you grind almonds into almond flour without turning it into butter? Or could I make my own peanut flour? If so, then I need to wait till my Sam's club road show, none scheduled now...just checked the website. Thanks. PS. your pb muffins are fantastic!!! Mary
fourstubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 04:23 AM   #123
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Doggygirl
Stats: 204/183.8/152
WOE: A72
Start Date: This time: 7/23/14
Char thank you for the tips! Especially about watching the small container / tamper. Yikes! Also the warning about the frozen strawberries! LOL I made the strawberry recipe you mention in my food processor one time and I thought it was going to explode. (I'm probably lucky it didn't!)

I think the recipe for soup you mentioned IS up thread, and one of the things I plan to do today is go back to the beginning of this thread and cut and paste out the recipes. I will watch for it and if the recipe I'm thinking of is something else, I will come back and ask you for it!

What a machine!

Fourstubbs are the prices a lot better at the shows? Once I decided I *had* to have one I couldn't have pulled together the patience to wait for a show to be scheduled. I'm patient mind you, as long as I can have what I want right now.

DG

Mini Goals:
#1: Weight 184
#2: Weight 179
#3: Weight 174
#4: Weight 169 (normal BMI)
#5: Weight 164
#6: Weight 159
#7: Weight 154
Doggygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 08:57 AM   #124
Gadget Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggygirl View Post
I'm patient mind you, as long as I can have what I want right now.

DG
LOL! That's me!! I've had 2 VMs now, this one I bought refurbished from VM (through a vendor they had set up on eBay) and I was chompin' at the bit for it to arrive!

On the tamper/small container situation - I called up their Customer Service and explained what had happened, that the thickening strawberry goop kind of SUCKED that tamper down through the stops and into the blade (that's what happened, honest it did - suddenly it went SCCCHHHWWWOOOOOOP and it was toast!) and they sent me a new one - no charge! Gotta love a company with great service.

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Old 02-15-2009, 08:59 AM   #125
Gadget Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourstubbs View Post
Hi Char, you having me interesting in a vitamix now!! Can you grind almonds into almond flour without turning it into butter? Or could I make my own peanut flour? If so, then I need to wait till my Sam's club road show, none scheduled now...just checked the website. Thanks. PS. your pb muffins are fantastic!!! Mary
Mary, I've done almonds in it but you really do have to closely watch it or it turns into butter fairly quickly! I start it on the lower speeds and only turn it up enough to get them whirring into the blades. However, I've found I prefer Honeyville Grains blanched almond meal - it's much lighter and fluffier than anything I ever turned out of the VM, Cuisinart, or coffee grinder. I can't speak to the peanuts for flour. Have made peanut butter (and almond butter, cashew butternut, hazelnut butter, and macadamia nut butter!) many times. I BELIEVE though, that commercial peanut flour is defatted to get a light fluffy product. I've never used it so I'm just going by what I believe I remember reading.

I love love love my VM though and wouldn't be without one.
Old 02-15-2009, 02:24 PM   #126
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kenwyn
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: 2/2009
I've had a VitaMix for around 20 years and I love it. I bought it back when the containers were stainless steel. I've never made ice cream in it but lots of berry smoothies. You're supposed to be able to grind wheat and make bread in it but it just isn't big enough for my batches of bread.
I do use it for my butter making. Usually less than a minute and I have butter.
Now that I've put the sugar canister away in the cupboard I have room for the VitaMix on the counter so I use it more than I used to.
Kenwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 02:54 PM   #127
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: FoodLover
WOE: Medi Weight Loss
Start Date: January 2009
I have a vitamix and LOVE it! I make icecream every night. My favorite icecream is using 1/2 cup of sugarfree vanilla almond breeze, a pump or two of vanilla liquid stevia, 1/4-1/2 cup frozen unsweetened cherries, and lots of ice. Play with the measurements to find your favorite. I love to put unsweetened cocoa powder sometimes in there to make a chocolate flavor. Or, I put half a frozen banana. Yummy!
FoodLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 07:11 PM   #128
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: fourstubbs
Stats: 225/220/142.3/135
WOE: IDEAL PROTEIN
Start Date: Restart July 2012
Thanks Char!! Well, if I can't make the flours, (i will still try) I also can't beat making homemade fresh butters. Yummy. I look forward to seeing it at the roadshow. DG, usually when I see the roadshow, (sams club) it is a special price, i dunno, maybe 100 less? anyone know? I am also military so they have the roadshows at the PX. Sorry i can't give you specifics, I don't remember what the prices were. Good luck to you, the vita mix sounds like so much fun!!
fourstubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 04:34 AM   #129
Major LCF Poster!

Hi again VMers. (we need T-shirts! )

OK. I tried Lemon Ice last night according to the recipe in the book, with the exception of swapping E. + Stevia for the sugar. (just a simple recipe - lemon, some zest, sweetener, water, ice) The recipe was in the Frozen Desserts section, but I never could get it to freeze the way I envisioned it, even adding more ice to it. I used the smaller container and the tamper. Regardless of all my tamping, an air pocket kept forming towards the bottom which of course melted what was down there by the time I could get everything mixing again.

This description of the problem may just sound crazy!

Anyway, I read in the VM materials that making frozen desserts takes a bit of work and can very depending on your water, your ice (i.e. how hard it is) etc.

I do have an ice maker where I can pull either cubes or crushed ice out of it. I was using cubed ice. Would crushed ice work better maybe?

I really like the idea of being able to make "sorbet" type things but I will have to figure out how to get things freezing up a whole lot more than I was able to achieve last night!

(the taste was awesome though - brought back shades of "lemon shake ups" at the fair as a kid!)

Thanks - I'm such a moron in the kitchen!

DG
Old 02-16-2009, 03:47 PM   #130
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jenna...
WOE: VLCarb
Quote:
Hi again VMers. (we need T-shirts! )

OK. I tried Lemon Ice last night according to the recipe in the book, with the exception of swapping E. + Stevia for the sugar. (just a simple recipe - lemon, some zest, sweetener, water, ice) The recipe was in the Frozen Desserts section, but I never could get it to freeze the way I envisioned it, even adding more ice to it. I used the smaller container and the tamper. Regardless of all my tamping, an air pocket kept forming towards the bottom which of course melted what was down there by the time I could get everything mixing again.

This description of the problem may just sound crazy!

Anyway, I read in the VM materials that making frozen desserts takes a bit of work and can very depending on your water, your ice (i.e. how hard it is) etc.

I do have an ice maker where I can pull either cubes or crushed ice out of it. I was using cubed ice. Would crushed ice work better maybe?

I really like the idea of being able to make "sorbet" type things but I will have to figure out how to get things freezing up a whole lot more than I was able to achieve last night!

(the taste was awesome though - brought back shades of "lemon shake ups" at the fair as a kid!)

Thanks - I'm such a moron in the kitchen!

DG

Making frozen deserts, I've only used frozen fruit ie...strawberries. I've never tried ice cubes except for Protein Drinks. Sorry no help here.
jenna... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 09:03 PM   #131
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Just made almond flour in Vita Mix large container

It turned out just as light and fluffy and Bob's Redmill.
I used blanched almonds.

You have to kinda finesse the machine. Low to medium, back to low,
a little higher. Gotta stop at the right time so keep checking
and bringing the bottom of the ingreds back up to top.
Barbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 02:47 AM   #132
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shadowzip
WOE: M & E/Low Carb
Start Date: 2/2005
My son makes lemon ice all the time, but he always eats/drinks it like a slush. He adds organic lemon juice that I get at Costco. The only thing I think you could do to make it more like ice cream would be use frozen lemon sections.
shadowzip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 04:36 AM   #133
Senior LCF Member

Doggiegirl
Use the crushed ice and try pulsing the VitaMix. I have reverse on mine (not sure if the newer ones do) and hitting reverse sometimes gets things moving better. All this talk about sorbets and ice cream makes me want to try it.

Do you have dogs? What kind? I've got 3 springers and my Mom's Bichon living with me.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:04 PM   #134
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks shadow and Kenwyn for the tips. No reverse on this new fangled Vita Mix, but I bet that does work great for this particular problem! Next time I will try freezing the slices and using crushed ice instead, and see what happens. Yes my results were like a slushy. Very good - just was hoping for something a little firmer.

Kenwyn we have 2 German Shepherds, a mutt (but try telling her that) and a Beagle. Way too many muddy feet with the spring (or any other season) rains come. But I bet you also know what 16 muddy feet are like!! 4 can be a hand ful! (until they turn those big brown eyes on you....)

DG
Old 02-18-2009, 12:25 PM   #135
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Thanks shadow and Kenwyn for the tips. No reverse on this new fangled Vita Mix, but I bet that does work great for this particular problem! Next time I will try freezing the slices and using crushed ice instead, and see what happens. Yes my results were like a slushy. Very good - just was hoping for something a little firmer.

Kenwyn we have 2 German Shepherds, a mutt (but try telling her that) and a Beagle. Way too many muddy feet with the spring (or any other season) rains come. But I bet you also know what 16 muddy feet are like!! 4 can be a hand ful! (until they turn those big brown eyes on you....)

DG
I never intended on having more than 2 dogs at one time. It just turned out that way. The fact that I just can't resist puppies doesn't help any.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:28 AM   #136
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenwyn View Post
I never intended on having more than 2 dogs at one time. It just turned out that way. The fact that I just can't resist puppies doesn't help any.
We share the same disease.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:45 AM   #137
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: missymagoo12
Stats: 235/225/145
WOE: stellastyle,atkins
Start Date: april 2004
on the vita mix mixers- i thought they used to be stainless steel units- did they do away with those types? sue
missymagoo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:37 AM   #138
Gadget Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymagoo12 View Post
on the vita mix mixers- i thought they used to be stainless steel units- did they do away with those types? sue
Yes. They're heavy-duty plastic now. Easier to maintain and lighter weight to haul around - I have had both and I prefer the plastic!
Old 02-19-2009, 09:17 PM   #139
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: missymagoo12
Stats: 235/225/145
WOE: stellastyle,atkins
Start Date: april 2004
i remmber that i used to see a metal one at some time in the past. i would like to get a vita mix machine- maybe in the next year i can get one. sue
missymagoo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 08:50 AM   #140
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
We share the same disease.
If it's a disease then I don't want to be cured!
Old 02-22-2009, 06:54 AM   #141
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenwyn View Post
If it's a disease then I don't want to be cured!
Me either! Love your avatar.

Made strawberry ice cream Char's Way night before last with heavy cream. Is that what heaven is like?????? MAN those frozen strawberries sure cause a rucus while they are blending. I thought I had a bucking bronco on my hands. Yummy yummy yummy. I got several different types and mixes of fruit on my last trip to Trader Joes and can't wait to try additional flavors!

DG
Old 02-22-2009, 07:48 AM   #142
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Me either! Love your avatar.

Made strawberry ice cream Char's Way night before last with heavy cream. Is that what heaven is like?????? MAN those frozen strawberries sure cause a rucus while they are blending. I thought I had a bucking bronco on my hands. Yummy yummy yummy. I got several different types and mixes of fruit on my last trip to Trader Joes and can't wait to try additional flavors!

DG
That's 2 of my kids but the smaller one will be 2 next Saturday so he's not so small anymore.

I have lots of strawberries in the freezer that I picked at a pick-your-own place but I froze them in a little sugar so I'm holding off on using those for awhile. I do have ton's of blueberries though. I made a blueberry sorbet once that was excellent. I'll have to find that recipe and adapt it to lower carbs.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:52 AM   #143
Gadget Gal

DG try the pineapple sometime - yeah, it's a little carbier so you gotta be careful - when I have it I just make sure I adjust my carb intake accordingly for a day or two - but it's SOOOO GOOOOD! TJ's frozen pineapple tidbits work great!

And yeah, those frozen whole strawberries do make quite the racket!
Old 02-22-2009, 11:35 AM   #144
Major LCF Poster!

Char I have a pineapple in the garage fridge just waiting to be cut. It's destined for your pineapple concoction! (could not forget reading about that one!)

You know it's funny. I don't know if it's the exercise program, the Armour Thyroid, or what. I definitely can't go the grains route. Peanut butter / peanuts cause problems. But I've been adding in more fruit and veggie carbs and I seem to almost do better at a little higher carb level from those sources. Or maybe I'm imagining things. Figuring out the maintenance game in some ways is harder than losing! I was up a couple pounds and fighting it. Then I got the Vitamix and have added more fruits in the form of smoothies and protein shakes with fruit. I'm back down those couple of pounds. Go figure. The fruits I've been adding include apples, pears, grapes, oranges, pineapple and even banana. In relatively small amounts, but still.... I hope it's not a fluke because a Vanilla protein shake with an orange in it tastes like a Dreamsicle and I'm sure lovin' that!!

DG
Old 02-22-2009, 11:53 AM   #145
Gadget Gal

That's great, DG! Figuring out what works for YOU is the hardest part of maintenance, IMHO. You just have to "trial and error" it. And yeah, grains + me = no good!
Old 02-26-2009, 06:04 PM   #146
Major LCF Poster!

Charski, I made pineapple ice cream tonight using coconut milk for the base and fresh pineapple that I froze day before yesterday. Mr. Doggy is in love. He's not sure with you (for the recipe) or me (for making it). OMG is that stuff AWESOME!!!!!!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!

How long are pineapples in season? I could forsee buying several and filling a shelf with little 8 - 9 oz baggies. Did I say thank you?

DG
Old 02-26-2009, 06:06 PM   #147
Gadget Gal

LOL DG! Hey great idea to use the coconut milk - I bet that was a good flavor! Will have to try that out on MY dh!

I think Costco here pretty much has pineapples year round - not sure what you get there. They all pretty much come from Hawaii and other tropical locales so I see them all the time.

I'm just lazy and prefer the convenience of TJ's already-frozen tidbits! LOL!
Old 02-26-2009, 09:10 PM   #148
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TXkim
Stats: 5'8" 155/127/125
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2003
I've had my vitamix forever but the one thing I've never used it for is to grind coffee beans. I've always bought pre-ground as I'm not a big coffee drinker. Recently someone gave me several pounds of beans and I'm just wondering the procedure for doing this in a vitamix. Just dump them in and slowly turn to High?? Or would you turn it on first and then drop them in while running?? I appreciate any input. I have both dry and wet blades and both size containers.
TXkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 09:11 AM   #149
Gadget Gal

I do about 2 cups at a time. I put the beans in the container, put the lid on tightly, turn the switch to High and then power it on in pulses, just until I no longer see any big "bean chunks" on top. By pulsing it, it continues to "vortex" the big pieces down through the middle without pulverizing everything to a powder. I found that out the hard way - just let it run, and the coffee was SO fine that it clogged my coffeemaker! LOL! So now I go for the "medium" grind by pulsing it.

HTH!

BTW warn everyone within earshot that it WILL make a racket....
Old 02-27-2009, 12:53 PM   #150
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TXkim
Stats: 5'8" 155/127/125
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2003
Thanks, Charski!! Does it matter which blade I use?
TXkim is offline   Reply With Quote