Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2008, 06:19 PM   #91
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jenna...
WOE: VLCarb
take him to a Costco/VitaMix roadshow. He'll change his mind in about 10 minutes.
jenna... is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2008, 08:08 PM   #92
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamchaser View Post
I have been really interested in the vitamix but I was a lot more excited about the possibility of getting one until I just realized that they are so tall. I looked at a website that said it's 20" tall. The space in between my kitchen countertop and the bottom of my kitchen cabinet is only 18". That's a bummer! I was wanting to be able to store it on my countertop.
Get the smaller container and put the bigger one in a cupboard someplace, or put the container on the counter NEXT to the base. (see what an enabler I am?! )
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 02:22 AM   #93
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Dreamchaser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
Get the smaller container and put the bigger one in a cupboard someplace, or put the container on the counter NEXT to the base. (see what an enabler I am?! )
I did think about putting the container on the counter next to the base. But that wood look too weird for me.

Guess I would have to shell out the bucks for the smaller container. I hate to see how much that costs.
Dreamchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 02:32 AM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffybear2 View Post
I have wanted a Vita-Mix for years. I wanted the old type with the spigot on the front. My husband saw the price however and won't let me get one. He thinks they are just a blender and I can't seem to convince him otherwise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenna... View Post
take him to a Costco/VitaMix roadshow. He'll change his mind in about 10 minutes.
I know just what you mean fluffybear2. My husband is so not thrilled with the idea either. We haven't discussed it seriously yet but I know he just thinks of it as a blender that is too expensive. Unfortunately we don't have a Costco here so there's no way for us to see a demo.

I have my veggie shake every single day and I plan to keep it that way. So I'm thinking I might just have to end up getting one.

I'm not sure what else I would use it for though. What things do you guys like to use yours for?
Old 04-10-2008, 04:33 AM   #95
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
I use it to grind my flax seeds. It's great-fast and efficient.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 08:58 AM   #96
Gadget Gal

If you go online to Vitamix and get their 800 phone number, call them up and they will SEND you a demo DVD! Just tell them you're trying to convince your hubby to buy one and would they please help you out? They are VERY nice folks there!
Old 04-10-2008, 05:19 PM   #97

Quote:
If you go online to Vitamix and get their 800 phone number, call them up and they will SEND you a demo DVD! Just tell them you're trying to convince your hubby to buy one and would they please help you out? They are VERY nice folks there!
Thanks Charski. I'll do that!
Old 06-06-2008, 02:06 PM   #98
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jpatti
Quote:
A VitaMix IS a blender, but not all blenders come even CLOSE to being a VitaMix! I always say a VitaMix is like a blender on steroids. You can grind grains, flaxseed, nuts into flour or butter; you can put in the ingredients for soup and it actually (through friction) will heat it up to eating temp in about 4 minutes; you can make "ice cream"; you can knead bread dough, chop meat, make a chunk of Parm cheese into finely grated, make a SMOOTH smoothie....I could go on and on but you can also go to their website and see demos, look at recipes etc. so I'll quit for now!
Another major advantage over a food processor is the cleanup. You put a drop of detergent in it, some water, and blend it clean in seconds. WAY easier than any kitchen appliance I've ever owned.
jpatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 06:34 AM   #99
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/180/135 (19-Aug)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
Great thread - subscribing for new recipes as they're posted. I have used it for the fawn shake, adding Jay Robb whey protein - and definitely tasty. Also made a watermelon spritzer.
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 04:43 PM   #100
Gadget Gal

Shamelessly bumping this up because I was searching for something and turned up this thread - in case any lucky person gets a VitaMix for Christmas! (or wonders what to tell Santa they want.... )
Old 12-20-2008, 04:16 PM   #101
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NGJ26
WOE: Keep It Simple
Start Date: August 2009
Ultimate Russian Tea Cake Recipe

I had a Vita Mixer for years... I actually wore it out, yup... blade broke off the base

Although it is not low carb, the recipe in the book that comes with the Mixer for Russian tea cakes is TO DIE FOR SCRUMPTIOUS and by far the best I have ever had.....alas, my book is gone

If anyone had the recipe if would be fabulous if you could post it and we could try to low carb it....
NGJ26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 06:42 PM   #102
Gadget Gal

Hmmm, I'll have to look for that!

Wow, never knew anyone who broke a VitaMix!
Old 12-20-2008, 10:06 PM   #103
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: OceanDreaming
Stats: 250/174/155
I bought a Blendtec a few years ago (comprable to Vitamix) from Amazon. The way I got it is whenever my friends/family asked what I wanted for birthday/Chrismas I would say, "Amazon gift certificate!!" There's absolutely no comparison to a regular blender. It's by far my favorite kitchen tool (and I have LOTS)! It makes snow out of ice, perfect nut and flax meals, wonderful smoothies...it's the best.
OceanDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 07:12 PM   #104
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Lucky me!

Last Christmas my husband got me the newest Vita Mix, which I immediately
dubbed "the whizzer" OMG I just love this machine. What a work horse.

Wanted to make cookies but no almond flour, but I did have CostCo
almonds so voila,,,,,almond flour in no time at all.

I had to eat really soft foods when I came home from hospital and hubs
ran some carrots through the mandoline and we cooked them, and pureed
them with cinnamon, cream and butter in the whizzer. SOOOOOO good!

This gift keeps on giving each and every day. I love it.
Barbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 08:50 PM   #105
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Quote:
Hmmm, I'll have to look for that!

Wow, never knew anyone who broke a VitaMix!
I didn't break the VitaMix, but I did have one that wore out. I have no idea how old it is, but it is an OLD plain Jane unit. A VERY early unit.
I got it from my sister, who bought it several years ago at a yard sale. She had gotten a new one.
It was such an early model and so old that it really was just a high powered glorified blender, but it did do a few things better than my old Oster blender. I actually had them both on my counter, and used them both. I do miss it.

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 12:03 PM   #106
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: buttonwillow
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: RE-start date Feb. 2, 2008
How much?

I'm tempted to buy a Vitamix, and am waiting for my local Sam's Club to have a road show demo. But can anyone tell me approx. how much their Sam's or Costco discounts the regular price?
buttonwillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 12:07 PM   #107
Major LCF Poster!

I think Costco's is about $359 but the memory is hazy. I love mine!

Old 01-03-2009, 02:23 PM   #108
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: feather319
Stats: started: 180 lowest:127 now:184 goal: 140
WOE: Ketogenic/Anabolic/Paleo
Start Date: April 2002 Reinducted 2009
I'm looking to get one too! I think I'm going for the Blendtec after doing a lot of research. I am finding the one I want online for $399. I wish Costco had it cheaper but am not sure when there show is to check it out.
feather319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 05:29 PM   #109
Gadget Gal

If you go to the VitaMix site, and dig a little, you can find their reconditioned models, which is what I bought this time. (First one I bought used from somebody online and it worked GREAT - I only replaced it because it had the old square chrome blender container and I wanted the new, see-through polycarbonate one!)

They guarantee them the same as the new ones and they're considerably less than the new price.

I've seen them at Costco twice now but don't know how much they were - I was only interested in getting a second container for mine, bought the smaller one, which I find I use MUCH more often than the big one.

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Old 01-04-2009, 07:17 AM   #110
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SummerSue
Stats: Back to Square One :(
WOE: Healthy Low Carb
Start Date: 5 yrs off/on - March 2008 re-inducting
I got a Vitamix 5200 for Christmas and finally used it today (we've been traveling since Christmas day). I made a fruit smoothie for my son with grapes, strawberries and a banana with ice and it was delicious. Bursting with berry flavor.

I'm searching now for more veggie based smoothies for lower carbs - I can't stomach that much sweetness in the morning! But, I can't wait to find ways to make soups, etc!

Thanks Vitamix lady and Charski for posting recipes and links - it's a great help to newbies like me. Now I've got to check Fawn's breakfast drink for more ideas!
SummerSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:09 AM   #111
Major LCF Poster!

Susan... try the egg creams or protein drinks. I make a protein drink with ice tea, protein power, cream, vanilla and a bit of pumpkin pie spice in my VitaMix every morning for breakfast.

Btw... as mentioned above, I bought the small container and found I use it almost exclusively then the large.
Old 01-04-2009, 05:38 PM   #112
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SummerSue
Stats: Back to Square One :(
WOE: Healthy Low Carb
Start Date: 5 yrs off/on - March 2008 re-inducting
Thanks Jenna. Is the smaller container different than the grain/bread grinding container? When I bought it, the guy was out of the grinding container and said once I register, I may get a one time offer in the mail to get it cheaper than normal. Is this the same thing, or just a smaller version of the regular container?

Thanks!
SummerSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 05:50 PM   #113
Gadget Gal

There are two kinds of blades - the "dry" or grinding blade, and the "wet" or regular blade.

The grinding blade has a more squared off shape and is somewhat more upright in the container, to facilitate grinding grains and stuff.

I had a grinding blade in my older VM but haven't bothered to buy one for the new one, and probably won't, since I no longer grind grains with it. I can use the regular blade just fine for grinding flax, coffee beans, nuts into butter etc.

If you DO grind whole (hard) grains, then the grinding blade may be what you need!

It WAS amazing to grind the grains from whole, add the other bread ingredients, "knead" it and pour it out and make a loaf of bread, back in my old "high carb" days!
Old 01-04-2009, 08:44 PM   #114
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerSue View Post
Thanks Jenna. Is the smaller container different than the grain/bread grinding container? When I bought it, the guy was out of the grinding container and said once I register, I may get a one time offer in the mail to get it cheaper than normal. Is this the same thing, or just a smaller version of the regular container?

Thanks!
It's a smaller (cooler) version of the regular container. Very cute and much easier to use than the tall one for smaller mixings.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:09 PM   #115
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shadowzip
WOE: M & E/Low Carb
Start Date: 2/2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttonwillow View Post
I'm tempted to buy a Vitamix, and am waiting for my local Sam's Club to have a road show demo. But can anyone tell me approx. how much their Sam's or Costco discounts the regular price?
I bought mine at a costco roadshow last year and it was 100.00 less than the website. Extra containers were discounted also
shadowzip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 04:37 PM   #116
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Doggygirl
Stats: 204/183.8/152
WOE: A72
Start Date: This time: 7/23/14
Thanks to all the Vitamix enthusiasts on this thread!! LOL I told Mr. Doggy that it was all YOUR fault that I just had to have a Vitamix!

Actually it's a funny story - Mr. Doggy was wanting a new metal detector (he's the king of strange hobbies). We agreed that given the economic circumstances, he had to sell old stuff out of the basement on e-bay to make the money for the new metal detector and oh by the way also a new toy for mommy as well of course a vitamix. Snuck that one in there didn't I?????

Anyway, you can imagine that I am experimenting with recipes that will be pleasing to Mr. Doggy so he will understand why I *had* to have a $500+ blender. It wasn't *me* who wanted butter pecan ice cream!!!!! Really it wasn't.

Anyway, here is my adaptation of a not-low-carb-at-all version. If you figure this at 4 generous servings, it's about 10g per serving so not for induction! But it was like a slice of heaven having something that tasted like butter pecan ice cream in my mouth!

6 fl oz. 1/2 and 1/2 (I used) or heavy cream (will try that next time)
1/4 cup SF Caramel Syrup - I used DaVinci
3/4 cup non fat dried milk (the biggest source of carbs - any ideas on how to reduce?)
Squirt of SF Honey (recipe called for real honey of course)
1/2 cup pecans
3 cups ice

Put all except the pecans in the Vitamix. Start on Var. 1 and move it up to 10 quickly, then to High. I used the tamper for the ice but may not have needed to do that. This machine makes very fast work of ice. Next time I might not use the tamper and see what happens. Once it's soft serve consistency, turn it off and toss in the pecans. Turn the Vitamix on Var. 1 and tamp down the pecans just enough to break them up and mix them into the ice cream. Serve right away. Or I think this might work even better to make it just before dinner, put it in serving dishes, set them in the freezer during dinner and then eat it. But of course it will freeze like a rock if left in the freezer too long.

**the original recipe called for 3 to 4 baby carrots, I assume for color? and 1/4" slice of cabbage - anyone know what that is for? I see it in a lot of Vitamix ice cream recipes from field reps. I omitted both of these items this time around as I did not have them on hand**

Of course this melts and liquifies really fast. I was quite pleased with the flavor but if any of you Vitamix users who got me in all this trouble (just kidding ) have any ideas for making the ice cream thicker I'm all eyeballs. I was thinking next time I will use a little more ice if need be. I'm also wondering what a little Not Sugar would do. Is the cabbage somehow important to the texture or something?

Anyway, I think this was a GREAT first time result. Any ideas for improvement would be welcome!

DG

ETA: PS - Mr. Doggy is happy with the new Vitamix so far. I made him a mixed fruit smoothie yesterday and this morning, a Vanilla Whey and orange concoction that ended up tasting like a dreamsicle. You guys might yet get a thank you note.

Mini Goals:
#1: Weight 184
#2: Weight 179
#3: Weight 174
#4: Weight 169 (normal BMI)
#5: Weight 164
#6: Weight 159
#7: Weight 154

Last edited by Doggygirl; 02-14-2009 at 04:38 PM..
Doggygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 04:48 PM   #117

Gallery: Su11
Stats: Total loss- 65 (since Sept 05)
WOE: General lower carb- fructose limited
wantwantwantwantwant!
Su11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 04:48 PM   #118
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggygirl View Post
Thanks to all the Vitamix enthusiasts on this thread!! LOL I told Mr. Doggy that it was all YOUR fault that I just had to have a Vitamix!

Actually it's a funny story - Mr. Doggy was wanting a new metal detector (he's the king of strange hobbies). We agreed that given the economic circumstances, he had to sell old stuff out of the basement on e-bay to make the money for the new metal detector and oh by the way also a new toy for mommy as well of course a vitamix. Snuck that one in there didn't I?????

Anyway, you can imagine that I am experimenting with recipes that will be pleasing to Mr. Doggy so he will understand why I *had* to have a $500+ blender. It wasn't *me* who wanted butter pecan ice cream!!!!! Really it wasn't.

Anyway, here is my adaptation of a not-low-carb-at-all version. If you figure this at 4 generous servings, it's about 10g per serving so not for induction! But it was like a slice of heaven having something that tasted like butter pecan ice cream in my mouth!

6 fl oz. 1/2 and 1/2 (I used) or heavy cream (will try that next time)
1/4 cup SF Caramel Syrup - I used DaVinci
3/4 cup non fat dried milk (the biggest source of carbs - any ideas on how to reduce?)
Squirt of SF Honey (recipe called for real honey of course)
1/2 cup pecans
3 cups ice

Put all except the pecans in the Vitamix. Start on Var. 1 and move it up to 10 quickly, then to High. I used the tamper for the ice but may not have needed to do that. This machine makes very fast work of ice. Next time I might not use the tamper and see what happens. Once it's soft serve consistency, turn it off and toss in the pecans. Turn the Vitamix on Var. 1 and tamp down the pecans just enough to break them up and mix them into the ice cream. Serve right away. Or I think this might work even better to make it just before dinner, put it in serving dishes, set them in the freezer during dinner and then eat it. But of course it will freeze like a rock if left in the freezer too long.

**the original recipe called for 3 to 4 baby carrots, I assume for color? and 1/4" slice of cabbage - anyone know what that is for? I see it in a lot of Vitamix ice cream recipes from field reps. I omitted both of these items this time around as I did not have them on hand**

Of course this melts and liquifies really fast. I was quite pleased with the flavor but if any of you Vitamix users who got me in all this trouble (just kidding ) have any ideas for making the ice cream thicker I'm all eyeballs. I was thinking next time I will use a little more ice if need be. I'm also wondering what a little Not Sugar would do. Is the cabbage somehow important to the texture or something?

Anyway, I think this was a GREAT first time result. Any ideas for improvement would be welcome!

DG

ETA: PS - Mr. Doggy is happy with the new Vitamix so far. I made him a mixed fruit smoothie yesterday and this morning, a Vanilla Whey and orange concoction that ended up tasting like a dreamsicle. You guys might yet get a thank you note.
Glad you love the vitamix! The vegies are so that you can sneak more into your diet (as if we need to). Leaving them out or putting them in has no effect on the flavor at all. My and DH favorite is frozen unsweetened strawberries and vanilla yogurt plus a bit of stevia sweetener. Yum!

Just play with the amount of ice and/or frozen vegies and you'll get a handle on the melt times.

I use the small container almost exclusively. It gets a workout with my protein smoothies daily.
Old 02-14-2009, 05:16 PM   #119
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Doggygirl
Stats: 204/183.8/152
WOE: A72
Start Date: This time: 7/23/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenna... View Post
Glad you love the vitamix! The vegies are so that you can sneak more into your diet (as if we need to). Leaving them out or putting them in has no effect on the flavor at all. My and DH favorite is frozen unsweetened strawberries and vanilla yogurt plus a bit of stevia sweetener. Yum!

Just play with the amount of ice and/or frozen vegies and you'll get a handle on the melt times.

I use the small container almost exclusively. It gets a workout with my protein smoothies daily.
Thank you for the veggie info!! LOL I had a huge chef type salad for lunch and cole slaw with dinner so the last things I *needed* was more cabbage and carrots in my ice cream!!!

I did get the small container too and need to experiment more with that - smaller = even faster clean up. (which is already very fast.)

I have plain yogurt and several kinds of frozen fruit and stevia too so I'll experiment with those once my stash of fresh fruits is gone.

More recipes????? Pwetty Pwease????

DG
Doggygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 06:36 PM   #120
Gadget Gal

Be VERY careful if you make ice cream in the small container and use the tamper - and I (unfortunately) know this from personal experience - the tamper CAN push past the lid's stop feature and you will grind up your tamper into your wonderful dessert! AAARRRGGGHHH!

I only make ice cream in my big container now. Maybe they've changed the lid since I bought my small container, which was last year at a Costco Vitamix road show.

Our fave recipe is fruit, cream, and sweetener. DH's fave is strawberries - I use the Trader Joe's unsweetened frozen whole berries. I love pineapple, also Trader Joe's! Put the sweetened cream into the blender, then add the fruit, start on low and quickly work up to 10, pushing with the tamper. It makes a goddawful noise if you use something like whole strawberries, so be forewarned! It turns into soft-serve consistency in less than 30 seconds.

1 cup of cream, sweetened with equivalent of about 1/2 cup sugar, and a pound of frozen fruit is a good starting point. DH likes the strawberry better if I use the 12 oz. package though.

I make half that recipe most of the time as it's just about right for 2 servings - and you're right, DG, it WILL freeze into a rock!

If you want, I can give you my cream of Ortega chile soup - it's awesome. Actually it MAY be somewhere in this thread....