Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2008, 07:18 PM   #61
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Making quick soups

The fun of it and it's so yummy. Glad you got the kids involved.
You will be more and more in love with it. I try to do something
with it every day. I made almond flour and hazelnut flour.
I wanted to make Tater's Cornbread which BTW was awesome.
Posted it tonight with some tweaks (but of course) that's what we
do.
Barbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2008, 07:32 PM   #62
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kissmygrits
Stats: 5' 10"
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Feb. 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
Oooo, Caroline, how fun! Good to get the kids involved too - that way you can get them to eat healthy stuff and they think it's all FUN!
I think my excitement rubbed off on them; they wanted to throw everything but the kitchen sink in there! My 10 year-old daughter said the frozen fruit things were "as good as ice cream," so that was an accomplishment!
Barbo, I can't remember if you had the dry container--did you use it for your flours or the regular container? I can't wait to try some LC recipes in mine tomorrow!
Kissmygrits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 03:49 PM   #63
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Kissme

Yes, I got the whole package because I wanted to grind nuts and
things into flours. Just love it.
Barbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 01:10 AM   #64
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: datahamstr
Stats: 180/160/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: may5, 2004
Refurbished ones?

Hi there Charski! And anyone who has a refurbished VitaMix

I'm so jealous! I've wanted one of these for years, but could never afford it.
I'm wondering, are the refurbished ones just as good as the new ones?

You know, some things like that are OK, and some things, not so much? LOL
Please tell me what you think, maybe I'll finally make it a priority and put
some money aside for one (no credit card either, which doesn't help)
Have a great weekend,
Leigh
datahamstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 07:46 AM   #65
Senior LCF Member

I read somewhere (maybe on the VM website?) that the refurbished models are ones that have been returned within the 30-day trial period, or demo models. It doesn't sound like they go through a lot of use before they refurbish them, so I would think that they would be just about as good as new. They also have the 7-year warranty. I think the company only knocks off about $50 for a refurb though, so it's not a huge price difference.
Old 01-20-2008, 02:56 AM   #66
Senior LCF Member

Hi Caroline,

Oh yes, I remember now, thanks very much! Yes, that's what I thought
too, they don't knock off very much! And probably hard to find one at a
cheap price, like on Ebay, as everyone that keeps it, loves it, lol!
One day though.....lol
Leigh
Old 01-20-2008, 09:06 AM   #67
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
They have occasional deals, and you have to look VERY hard on their website to find them, where they sell refurbished "demo" models for under $300. I actually bought MY refurb off eBay and got it for $265 plus shipping! I LOVE it.

I've had very good luck with refurbs - my Saeco espresso maker, my beloved Dyson Ball vacuum cleaner, my digital camera, heck my Dell computer - all refurbs, all 0 problems! (crossing fingers that the Bad Refurb Fairies don't read this and come gunning for me....)
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 09:18 AM   #68
Senior LCF Member

Hey Charski!
Thanks so much for the great info, very handy for someone on Disability, for sure! Can you please tell me, the refurbs you got, were they all from the
company websites? I'm wondering about Dell here, actually.
Plus everything is so much more expensive in Canada too, it's a drag. Since
I lived in Calif. for seven years also, I can tell the difference so easily.
Yes, I would love a Vitamix even more, at the price you got it at, lol!
Leigh
Old 01-20-2008, 09:32 AM   #69
Senior LCF Member

My Dell is a refurb too, and I LOVE it! I bought a GPS refurb from Tiger Direct though, and it didn't work. They made me pay return shipping though, so it wound up costing me $29 for NOTHING. Terrible company. Anyhoo, I would have bought a VM refurb if they had had a 5200; It seems like they are so lightly used that there's hardly a difference between them and new...too bad they don't mark the price down a little more for them though.
Old 01-20-2008, 12:23 PM   #70
Gadget Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by datahamstr View Post
Hey Charski!
Thanks so much for the great info, very handy for someone on Disability, for sure! Can you please tell me, the refurbs you got, were they all from the
company websites? I'm wondering about Dell here, actually.
Plus everything is so much more expensive in Canada too, it's a drag. Since
I lived in Calif. for seven years also, I can tell the difference so easily.
Yes, I would love a Vitamix even more, at the price you got it at, lol!
Leigh
I got the Dell from eBay too - I make SURE the seller has LOTS of positive feedback and has been around a while before I'll buy from them, and has a good return policy! So far so good....
Old 01-20-2008, 05:48 PM   #71
Senior LCF Member

Oh that's great to know, thanks so much Charski, and Caroline!
Leigh
Old 01-23-2008, 12:28 PM   #72
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: alex57
Question....I just received my VM and am eager to put it to use. Didn't realize the container would be so huge. Wondering if those of you who have used one for some time find it worthwhile to have the smaller 32oz. size container also. If so, why?

My old 40 or so year old blender served me well but decided to splurge on this "new toy". Must say tho', the new one takes up more space. Perhaps I should keep the old one for the smaller container but then I need space for two of them. Was planning on handing it down to my son.

TIA
alex57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 02:20 PM   #73
Gadget Gal

I have thought about getting the smaller container, but haven't. My old VM had a large container too but the new one is a bit bigger. Like you, storage is the problem - so that's why I haven't convinced myself to buy one yet! I don't think they're any smaller around, just not as tall, so I'm not fully certain it's worth it....
Old 01-23-2008, 09:17 PM   #74
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TXkim
Stats: 5'8" 155/127/125
Start Date: April 2003
I have the smaller, 32 oz, container and now use it 90% of the time. But I am mostly making single serving drinks, or salad dressings, or pesto. The large container is great for soups or drinks for several people at a time. The smaller size is convenient, but I got by just fine for 10 years with the larger container. I also have room to store it, or I probably wouldn't have purchased it. It was being sold at the Fair last year and I got caught up in the moment and thought I had to have it. And I DO use it, but certainly could have lived without it.
TXkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 09:00 AM   #75
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: alex57
Thanks for the replies. I too make single servings for the most part and this is why I was wondering. Think I'll hold off for now. Appreciate your input.
alex57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 06:46 PM   #76
Gadget Gal

I made Barbo's cream of asparagus soup tonight in the VM - with the following tweakage:

I used sour cream instead of tofu; added a green onion, cut in 1" pieces; added a good pinch of garlic powder - blended up and tasted, then also added a 4 oz. can of diced Ortega chiles, a couple dashes each of Worcestershire and Chipotle Tabasco and about 2 tablespoons of dry vermouth. Heated it up in the MW and topped with sliced green onions and diced cooked bacon. DANG GOOD! DH loved it!
Old 02-17-2008, 05:20 AM   #77
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Gita69
Has anyone tried making coconut flour out of unsweetened shredded coconut using their VitaMix? I've been thinking about doing that, but I'm not certain which container to use? The wet or dry...
Gita69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 07:32 PM   #78
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Double X
Vita Mix

If you looking for a Vita Mix go to SAM'S CLUB. We have Roadshows in the club and it is part of our roadshow meaning it is in and out within a week. Samsclub.com will show you a list of roadshows in your nearby SAM'S CLUB. I LOVE SAM'S CLUB!

ANYONE know where to get a good SALSA recipe for my vita mix? I have tried the ones on Vitamix.com, but they do not seem as good.
Double X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 08:55 PM   #79
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gita69 View Post
Has anyone tried making coconut flour out of unsweetened shredded coconut using their VitaMix? I've been thinking about doing that, but I'm not certain which container to use? The wet or dry...
I would think the dry container, but since I don't actually HAVE one, I'm not one to talk... That would just be my guess. I ground up chia seeds in the regular container and they turned out fine though.

Double X, Cleochatra was saying in one of the oopsie threads that she was going to get a really good salsa recipe; I don't know if she's posted that recipe yet, I don't think so. You might want to start a separate thread asking her about it, since you can't PM yet...Good luck!

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?[/COLOR]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]I know God exists; I talked to him this morning.[/COLOR]
Old 03-09-2008, 09:10 AM   #80
Gadget Gal

BUMP for Blondie970K
Old 04-08-2008, 08:16 AM   #81
Gadget Gal

OOOOOOooo, the VITAmix lady! HOW COOL! Welcome aboard!

There are a lot of folks on this board who drink "Fawn's Shake" - try a search for it, it's full of green stuff and blueberries (low carb) and stuff - you might be interested in that one!

I'd LOVE to have extra recipes so will visit your website.

I'd really like a 32 oz. container but haven't convinced myself yet to spend the $$ for it!

I DID find a used 64 oz. (I think that's the right size for the big one?) on eBay and I use that one exclusively for grinding up my compostables for my compost pile. Works great to help things break down very quickly. The worms LOVE that pile! (and the birds love the worms, if they're slow ones that don't get into the middle of the pile fast enough! LOL!)

Welcome aboard - can't wait to have some more VitaMix discussions with you!

Char

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Old 04-08-2008, 02:16 PM   #82
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jenna...
WOE: VLCarb
I inadvertently made an "egg cream" ice cream this morning for breakfast too many ice cubes -LOL
jenna... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 06:50 PM   #83
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: agapemom
Quote:
OOOOOOooo, the VITAmix lady! HOW COOL! Welcome aboard!
Thanks - glad to be here! I'm not on the low-carb diet, but I would be very happy to answer any Vita-Mix questions (at least the ones I have answers for!).

Quote:
There are a lot of folks on this board who drink "Fawn's Shake" - try a search for it, it's full of green stuff and blueberries (low carb) and stuff - you might be interested in that one!
ooooh, I LOVE my Blueberry ice cream (half-n-half, stevia, and lots of frozen blueberries) I'll look for it!

Quote:
I'd LOVE to have extra recipes so will visit your website.
I don't have any recipes there. My website is just a link to my YouTube page because I'm too cheap to build a website at this time. But, it has my e-mail address and if you e-mail me, I'll send you my e-mail that has all of my recipes!

Quote:
I'd really like a 32 oz. container but haven't convinced myself yet to spend the $$ for it!
I love mine, but I got it for free when I became a sales demonstrator. After having had it, I probably would buy one, knowing what I know now from getting to use it - when I use the Vita-Mix as a food processor, or to make peanut butter, it is easier to get the ingredients out of the smaller container.

Quote:
I DID find a used 64 oz. (I think that's the right size for the big one?) on eBay and I use that one exclusively for grinding up my compostables for my compost pile. Works great to help things break down very quickly. The worms LOVE that pile! (and the birds love the worms, if they're slow ones that don't get into the middle of the pile fast enough! LOL!)
I've heard that people use the Vita-Mix for composting. It's funny you should mention that because my husband was just saying that we need to start composting!

Quote:
Welcome aboard - can't wait to have some more VitaMix discussions with you!

Char
I look forward to getting to know you all!

On that note... I can't figure out how to get e-mail notifications when someone responds to a thread I am posting on. If anyone can tell me how to do that, I'd be thrilled!

Thanks again for the warm welcome Char!
agapemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 09:12 AM   #84
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shadowzip
WOE: M & E/Low Carb
Start Date: 2/2005
Charski The way you post about your vitamix has made me want one even more so I DID IT.

I bought one on Sat. at a Costco road show. I posted on this thread in NOV how much I wanted one but couldn't afford it at the time. Well I was at costco on Friday night and There they were, a Vitamix Road Show at my Costco.

I think it was meant to be!! I made myself come home and think about it overnight, decided yes I really, really NEED(ok, want) it. Went back on Sat and bought it.

I wanted black and all they had was white, so they are shipping it to me. Can't wait!
shadowzip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 09:14 AM   #85
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shadowzip
WOE: M & E/Low Carb
Start Date: 2/2005
agapemom, I e-mailed you for your recipes. Welcome aboard.
shadowzip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 01:56 PM   #86
Gadget Gal

Shadowzip, I hope you love yours as much as I love mine!

Agapemom, I think you have to have 50 posts before you can use the PM function on this board. Or be a member 2 months. Or both, or one or the other! LOL! I forget, but it's in the "what you need to know when you become a member" stuff which is on here someplace! Been too long since I needed to look at it!
Old 04-09-2008, 01:58 PM   #87
Gadget Gal

Oh yeah, and I LOVE "ice cream" from the VM - we use either heavy cream or Greek yogurt and frozen fruit and Stevia/Splenda together. YUM! The frozen fruit in 1 pound bags from Trader Joe's is perfect. I use 1/2 cup yogurt or cream, 8 ounces of frozen fruit, and enough sweetener to do the job, which varies depending on the fruit. We've used and loved blueberries, strawberries, pineapple, mixed berries, dark pitted cherries - pretty soon I'm gonna go to the You-Pik berry farm and get me some boysenberries and freeze them up in FoodSaver vacuumed bags - I bet THAT will make some dandy ice cream too!
Old 04-09-2008, 05:19 PM   #88
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Dreamchaser
I have been really interested in the vitamix but I was a lot more excited about the possibility of getting one until I just realized that they are so tall. I looked at a website that said it's 20" tall. The space in between my kitchen countertop and the bottom of my kitchen cabinet is only 18". That's a bummer! I was wanting to be able to store it on my countertop.
Dreamchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 05:26 PM   #89
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jenna...
WOE: VLCarb
Buy the smaller container too and that way you can store the smaller on the cabinet and only take out the larger container when you need it. Believe me the smaller is sufficient a lot of the time.
jenna... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 06:12 PM   #90

Gallery: fluffybear2
I have wanted a Vita-Mix for years. I wanted the old type with the spigot on the front. My husband saw the price however and won't let me get one. He thinks they are just a blender and I can't seem to convince him otherwise.
fluffybear2 is offline   Reply With Quote