Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2014, 07:35 PM   #751
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lilybell2
WOE: Atkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonbon41 View Post
Subbing - just bought my first vitamix
Congratulations on your new Vitamix.
Lilybell2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2014, 10:34 PM   #752
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bonbon41
Stats: 200+, 130, 125
WOE: Keto-paleo/HFLC
Start Date: Atkins 2001, NK May 2014
Thanks! I knew they were great but I still can't help but feel awe as it blends entire lemons in seconds! I'm dying to throw all kind of whole crazy things in there. Was curiously eyeing the pineapple on my counter earlier...
Bonbon41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 10:48 PM   #753
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Thanks! I knew they were great but I still can't help but feel awe as it blends entire lemons in seconds! I'm dying to throw all kind of whole crazy things in there. Was curiously eyeing the pineapple on my counter earlier...
I don't think I would toss in the whole pineapple.

Once you use your Vitamix to "grate" cubed Parmesan cheese, you'll never buy the stuff in the green can again.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:14 AM   #754
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bonbon41
Stats: 200+, 130, 125
WOE: Keto-paleo/HFLC
Start Date: Atkins 2001, NK May 2014
But I can't help feel glee at the fact that, come high noon, my vitamix COULD seriously take that whole pineapple...

Thanks for another eureka vitamix moment - Parmesan! And to think I grated it by hand last night. I can't wait to learn all of the tricks...nerd that I am, am slowly making my way through the entire 26 pages of this post and taking notes! I love this food forum and all the kitchen savy gems it contains

Last edited by Bonbon41; 08-18-2014 at 09:16 AM..
Bonbon41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 01:16 PM   #755
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nelle Belle
I personally don't put peels (lemon, orange, lime) in my VM.
If I am going to make cauli or broccoli soup, I cook veggies in microwave first and just blend with chicken stock, some cream cheese and cheddar cheese. I don't let it run until contents are hot. Blend and nuke.
Nelle Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 04:39 PM   #756
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
But I can't help feel glee at the fact that, come high noon, my vitamix COULD seriously take that whole pineapple...

Thanks for another eureka vitamix moment - Parmesan! And to think I grated it by hand last night. I can't wait to learn all of the tricks...nerd that I am, am slowly making my way through the entire 26 pages of this post and taking notes! I love this food forum and all the kitchen savy gems it contains
Come high noon, I don't doubt for a moment that your Vitamix could whop that pineapple into submission.

Parmesan is so easy to do in the Vitamix, and fast! No more grating by hand.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:20 PM   #757
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CdnPaleoGuy
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: January 2014
All we've been doing with the old steel is making margaritas. I made some riced cauliflower but my DW thought it was too wet.
Seems to be a very slow leak starting in the container so maybe by Christmas we'll be looking for the new model.
I've heard making coconut butter in the newer models is easy peasy compared to trying to make it in the old 'vita-mixer'.
Nelle Belle: I do the cheat too for quick soups. Heat the stock up in the microwave then add to the vitamix with whatever veg & let 'er rip
Never tried grating cheese in it
CdnPaleoGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 05:40 PM   #758
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnPaleoGuy View Post
Seems to be a very slow leak starting in the container so maybe by Christmas we'll be looking for the new model.
I've heard making coconut butter in the newer models is easy peasy compared to trying to make it in the old 'vita-mixer'.
I often make coconut butter in my Vitamix. You're right, it's easy peasy in the newer models.

There are so many new models, just make sure that when you're ready you choose one that has the variable speed control. There are a couple of models that don't have the variable speed control and I'm sure they're good machines and are probably OK short-term. However, given the number of years a Vitamix can last, in my opinion that's just too long to get by without such an important feature.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:04 PM   #759
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nelle Belle
I love my variable speed VM. I found a bag (or 3) of cranberries in my freezer. I am going to make some relish. VM does it perfectly.
Nelle Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 01:45 AM   #760
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelle Belle View Post
I love my variable speed VM. I found a bag (or 3) of cranberries in my freezer. I am going to make some relish. VM does it perfectly.
Cranberry relish, yum!
Old 08-20-2014, 05:06 AM   #761
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybell2 View Post
There are so many new models, just make sure that when you're ready you choose one that has the variable speed control. There are a couple of models that don't have the variable speed control and I'm sure they're good machines and are probably OK short-term. However, given the number of years a Vitamix can last, in my opinion that's just too long to get by without such an important feature.
The fun part will be finding a model that fits that description. Is it worth getting the two different containers? I don't grind coffee beans or make my own cornmeal. Is the vitamix site the best spot to fit refurbs at a non heart attack $$$? I'm in Canada btw
Old 08-20-2014, 04:30 PM   #762
Senior LCF Member

I believe that Vitamix is the only source for a Certified Reconditioned Vitamix. The prices are good, especially when they have a sale in progress. I don't know about their availability or cost in Canada. People who buy the reconditioned machines seem to be really pleased with them. They carry a 5 year warranty, and they come with a brand new container as well as all new literature and cookbook. I think it's a great way to buy.

If you're not going to grind spices or coffee beans, or make your own flour from things like rice, nuts, seeds, or wheat berries, or something similar, then you most likely would have no need for a dry blade container. However, a small wet blade container is pretty handy to have for small batches... not required, but just nice to have if you catch one on sale. Usually demonstrators have them available for a good price during a show.

I believe Costco in Canada has Vitamix Road Shows, though I don't know where or how often, but I think you can probably check that out on the Vitamix site. I don't know about Canada, but Costco in the USA sells Vitamix for a good price.

It pays to start doing your research now, even if you're not ready to buy yet. Then you'll have a good idea of what you want to do when the time comes.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:30 AM   #763
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Lilybell2. yes, the Costco up here do have the travelling road shows, problem is to figure out when their in town
Last time I spotted them, I told the sales rep that I still had the old steel model & he couldn't believe it.
So, what model should I be keeping an eye out for? They (vitamix) do ship here so that's not a problem.
As I mentioned, one of the things we would be making a lot of is coconut butter; not sure which container is better for that?
Old 08-21-2014, 08:17 AM   #764
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Brendajm
Stats: 130/122/117
WOE: was atkins, now maintenance
Start Date: march, 2004
The road show was at my local Costco last week, I sooo wanted to buy it.
Brendajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:50 AM   #765
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Check on their website for factory reconditioned models - that's how I got my 5000 and it has never sneezed or balked once - have had it probably 5 years or so now.

I got the same warranty as a new one. Not sure what they're offering now.
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 01:57 PM   #766
Senior LCF Member

so look for the 5000 model?
Old 08-21-2014, 04:18 PM   #767
Gadget Gal

Not necessarily - that's what I got, but it's been a few years ago. I think the 5200 took its place. But it's gonna depend on what they have in stock for the refurbs.
Old 08-21-2014, 06:52 PM   #768
Senior LCF Member

In Canada, I believe the models that are equivalent to the 5200 are the "Aspire" and the "Total Nutrition Center." (Different names are most likely because they have different packages, e.g., different cookbooks, etc.)

I believe that two of the Next Generation Series machines may now be available in Canada, the 7500 and the Pro 750, but they are far more costly than the models based on the 5200. The Aspire and the Total Nutrition Center should do everything you want, including making coconut butter.
Old 08-22-2014, 07:19 AM   #769
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the info; guess I'll have to haunt the Costco & Vitamix sites for offers.
My old steel model is still performing; think the leak my DW spotted might of been condensation
Old 08-22-2014, 01:42 PM   #770
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Thanks for the info; guess I'll have to haunt the Costco & Vitamix sites for offers.
My old steel model is still performing; think the leak my DW spotted might of been condensation
You're very welcome.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that the leak was naught but condensation, and that your old Vitamix just keeps on keeping on. In the meantime, I think you're smart to keep up with your research.

I don't know about the Vitamix website for Canada, but I do know that when I access the Vitamix website from the US there's a gray bar at the top with a search box at the far right. Just to the left of that search box, there's a link that says, "Where to Buy / See Demo." When I click on that link, it takes me to a page where one of the options is, "Find a Vitamix Retailer." Clicking on that link takes me to a page where I can enter my zip code and get a listing of Vitamix retailers in the area I've specified. The list I get is divided into columns, and the last column on the right is labeled "Demo." Stores that have a current or upcoming demo will have the dates listed in that space. Otherwise, the space is left blank.

Like I said, I don't know if the Canadian site is set up the same way, but if it is, that's a handy way to check to see which Vitamix retailers have a demo coming up in your area, and demos are great places to see the machines in action so you can get a better idea of the capability of the newer machines. It's also a good way to pick up "how-to" tips and recipes.

Also, I've found that our state and county fairs always have Vitamix demonstrations in progress, and the same can be said for many home shows.

As you know, these machines last for a very long time, so take your time and do your research. By the time you're ready for a replacement, you'll know exactly what you want and what best suits your needs.
Old 08-22-2014, 03:32 PM   #771
Senior LCF Member

My wife's cousin lives in Vermont so that's an option. Time for a cyber trip to vitamix
Thanks for the tips
Old 08-22-2014, 04:14 PM   #772
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
My wife's cousin lives in Vermont so that's an option. Time for a cyber trip to vitamix
Thanks for the tips
That sounds like a good option. You can check out the Aspire/Total Nutrition Center available in Canada and if you like it, keep in mind that's the 5200 at Costco in the US. It is also sold at Target as the Professional 200... same machine, different cookbook. I believe Costco's price for the 5200 is lower than Target's price for the 200. As it's the same machine, if your wife's cousin is a Costco member, that could be a nice savings.

There's also the 6300/500 Vitamix. It's basically the same as the 5200 with the addition of 3 presets (preset programs for smoothies, hot soups, and frozen desserts). However, as you're not used to presets anyway, you may not want to spend the extra money for that feature, but I just thought I'd mention it. The machine is sold as the 6300 at Costco Road Shows (demos) and is only available during the Road Show. (The 5200 is always available at most Costco stores.) The same machine is sold as the Professional 500 at Target.
Old 08-23-2014, 03:33 PM   #773
Senior LCF Member

oh boy, my head is starting to spin with the options
So the model that is closest to my bare bones old steel model is?
Good thing Christmas is a few (very) months away
Old 08-23-2014, 04:28 PM   #774
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
oh boy, my head is starting to spin with the options
So the model that is closest to my bare bones old steel model is?
Good thing Christmas is a few (very) months away
Yes, it can get confusing. The closest current model to your old steel model, with a variable speed control, would be the (USA) 5200 basically the same machine as the Professional Series 200. In Canada, that machine would be the Aspire and/or the Total Nutrition Center.

Essentially, the motor bases on these models are the same, it's the packaging that differs. Depending on the model, the cookbook will vary. Also, some models may come with a 48 oz. container as opposed to the standard 64 oz. container.

I know pretty much which machine comes with which accessories in the USA, but I don't know that much about the Canadian packages. I would advise you to fire up Google, or whatever search engine you prefer, and do some research on the Canadian Aspire package and the Total Nutrition Center package.

Definitely try to locate where demonstrations are being held in your area.
Old 08-23-2014, 05:05 PM   #775
Gadget Gal

Is your old stainless steel model the one with just forward and reverse? That's what mine was and is the reason I ended up getting the newer one - I wanted a) the Lexan container and b) variable speeds. The 5000 at the time most closely fit what I wanted without a lot of other "features" that I didn't need.

I gave serious thought to upgrading my 5000 a while back when Costco was having a Vitamix Road Show (which they seem to do pretty often here lately, must pay off well for Vitamix in this area!) and I looked at the one with the presets but realized I prefer to just set it to what *I* want and let it run the amount of time I think it needs.

My DH still occasionally laments that I gave up the stainless steel one - he thinks it could grind bricks to dust! LOL! Personally I think the 5000 is just as good.

I'm sure I've said this already upthread but I did buy the 48 oz. container at one of the Costco Roadshows - it was 20% off or something like that. I use that one a lot more than the 64 oz. container. I also bought the dry blade container off eBay - it's used and it works just fine. I do sprout, dry, and grind my own hard red winter wheat and this does the job very nicely.

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Old 08-24-2014, 06:53 AM   #776
Senior LCF Member

I have the maxi-4000; it has forward/reverse & 3 speeds.
You ladies have given me a few models to investigate: thanks. Now to find that tab where C0stc0 mentions demo dates.
Old 08-24-2014, 12:14 PM   #777
Gadget Gal

That's exactly the one I had and I forgot it actually DID have a couple speeds in addition to the reverse, which always kind of freaked me out when you switched it and it started going the other way so fast! LOL!

I had two containers for mine, the dry one and the one with the spigot, and a few extra parts (blades, gaskets etc.) and still had the original book and the wooden tamper. I sold the blender and the spigot cannister as one item on eBay and the rest separately and I ALMOST got enough for those items to pay for the refurbished 5000!

Last edited by Charski; 08-24-2014 at 12:16 PM..
Old 08-24-2014, 05:31 PM   #778
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
I had two containers for mine, the dry one and the one with the spigot, and a few extra parts (blades, gaskets etc.) and still had the original book and the wooden tamper. I sold the blender and the spigot cannister as one item on eBay and the rest separately and I ALMOST got enough for those items to pay for the refurbished 5000!
That was some smart marketing, Charski.
Old 09-07-2014, 03:00 PM   #779
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Atkins Chick
Stats: I weigh only 1x a month on the 16th
WOE: Atkins/Induction till the last 20 lbs
Start Date: Restarted 4-12-14
Recipe for Cauliflower soup
Literally takes 15 minutes

3 celery stalks chopped
1/2 onion diced
1 TBSP butter
1 carton of organic chicken stock
1 head cauliflower cut and steam cooked
salt pepper to taste
2 TBSP heavy cream (optional)

Directions

start by steaming or boiling the cauliflower florets..
While caulifower is steaming, cook celery and onions in butter in a soup pot till tender. Add chicken stock and cooked cauliflower. Bring to boil.
whip up in your Vitamix till smooth. Pour back into pan , add salt pepper to taste.
add a few TBSP heavy cream if desired

Last edited by Atkins Chick; 09-07-2014 at 03:02 PM..
Atkins Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 06:26 PM   #780
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Ozcook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atkins Chick View Post
Recipe for Cauliflower soup
Literally takes 15 minutes

3 celery stalks chopped
1/2 onion diced
1 TBSP butter
1 carton of organic chicken stock
1 head cauliflower cut and steam cooked
salt pepper to taste
2 TBSP heavy cream (optional)
AC, looks good. Could you say how many mls or oz in your carton of chicken stock?
Ozcook is offline   Reply With Quote