Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2013, 07:39 PM   #661
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: millergirl1976
Stats: 164.4/163.2/135? <- 28in waist
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Restart. 1/2/2014
I really want to start doing egg creams in the morning after my work out. Would you all give me your favorite combos?
millergirl1976 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2013, 03:03 PM   #662
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nelle Belle
I bought all the ingredients for the garden shake and I just want to make a salad with it.
On another note, I have a second home in Florida and I want a Viamix for there.
Nelle Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:17 PM   #663
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by millergirl1976 View Post
I really want to start doing egg creams in the morning after my work out. Would you all give me your favorite combos?
I don't make egg creams, but I know there is a thread (or three!) about them - let me see if I can dig it up for you.

Try this:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...eam-ideas.html

Last edited by Charski; 09-30-2013 at 03:21 PM..
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:05 AM   #664
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: millergirl1976
Stats: 164.4/163.2/135? <- 28in waist
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Restart. 1/2/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
I don't make egg creams, but I know there is a thread (or three!) about them - let me see if I can dig it up for you.

Try this:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...eam-ideas.html
I searched and searched and somehow didnt find that thread. That is exactly what I was looking for!
millergirl1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:16 PM   #665
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Atkins Chick
Stats: I weigh only 1x a month on the 16th
WOE: Atkins/Induction till the last 20 lbs
Start Date: Restarted 7-25-13
oh boy, Vitamix, where have you been all my life? Just got it in the mail today. I made soup in 5 minutes with stuff I just had in my fridge as leftovers... Oh my Golly Molly that thing is incredible!
I am going to take the time to read over the posts here... Just wanted to chime in and say hello as a new user
Atkins Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:23 PM   #666
Gadget Gal

Welcome to the Lovers of Vitamix group!
Old 10-03-2013, 10:21 PM   #667
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lilybell2
WOE: Atkins
Welcome, and congratulations on your new Vitamix!
Lilybell2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:26 AM   #668
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelle Belle View Post
I bought all the ingredients for the garden shake and I just want to make a salad with it.
On another note, I have a second home in Florida and I want a Viamix for there.
Finally got around to making this. It really is very good. I added a slice of cheddar cheese, evoo and vinegar. Did not add any ice.

Last edited by Nelle Belle; 10-09-2013 at 10:28 AM..
Old 10-09-2013, 11:46 AM   #669
Senior LCF Member

That sounds like a tasty variation, Nelle Belle. I'll have to try it.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:57 AM   #670
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tstarre
just wanted to pop in and say thanks again for the recall heads-up. Just got mine back with the 1 year extended warranty and a blender drink book. My DH really missed his green drinks
tstarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:25 PM   #671
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jbatchelor
Stats: 248/177.5 /148
WOE: Atkins/Low carb
QVC is having other Today's special with a new vitamix-but they also said during the show that if you ordered a vitamix they would sell you a dry blending grain container for 50.00-the one that is regularly 144.00--I figured that meant if I ordered the vitamix today-but I ordered mine from QVC last December-but I clicked on the link around where they had the recipes on the order page-and it took me to the order page where it did let me order one for 50.00--I am glad to get it for this price-I don't know how much I will use it-I am wondering if this is what I could use to make almond flour and also if I can grind popcorn for Chicken Lady's cornbread in this container? hopefully somebody will know?

Jeanne
jbatchelor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:36 PM   #672
Gadget Gal

Yes, Jeanne, it will be perfect for those uses, as well as grinding coffee beans, flax seeds, or my main use, whole wheat which has been sprouted and then dehydrated, then grind it into flour. We use that for our bread and neither of us has any blood sugar problems from eating it.

That's a heck of a good buy! Wish I needed one!
Old 10-27-2013, 01:15 PM   #673
Senior LCF Member

$50 for the dry container is an incredibly good buy. I thought I was getting a bargain when I bought mine for $99 dollars.

Although the QVC host has said that the $50 price is just for those buying the TSV today, a number of people have said they were able to buy the container without purchasing the TSV.

Speaking of the TSV, as much as I love my Vitamix machines, I fail to see the value in this one... there's no variable speed control knob, and I just can't imagine using a Vitamix without it. I use the variable speed control a lot, even though my primary Vitamix (a Pro 750) has presets. I know they say there are ways to compensate, like pulsing, but I just couldn't get along without the variable speed control... I use the slower speeds when making chopped salads, making salad dressing, whisking eggs for omelets, or just to defoam a soup or smoothie. Nope, gotta have my variable speed control.
Old 10-27-2013, 01:23 PM   #674
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Char-that is great--I have no clue about sprouting wheat-but if I can just use it for popcorn and almonds-I will be good to go! thanks for the reply!
Old 10-27-2013, 04:23 PM   #675
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Okay, I did it. Bought a 2nd vitamix on ebay. Have a second home in Fl and will be going in a few weeks for 3 wks. Was having palpitations being separated from my vitamix.
Old 10-27-2013, 04:38 PM   #676
Gadget Gal

LOL Nelle Belle! I can well imagine! Which model did you get?
Old 10-27-2013, 04:41 PM   #677
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Red creation with 64 oz container. I had been eyeing a turquoise one on ebay for a while but it was $479. Too much for ebay.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:49 PM   #678
Senior LCF Member

Smart move, Nelle Belle.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:06 PM   #679
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: Low Carb ala JUDDD
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
Just read all of the posts! Thanks for all of the wonderful suggestions that were posted.

I got mine last week at Costco. Hubby christened it with sugar free strawberry margaritas!

I've made some wonderful smoothies.

I have several bags of Trader Joe almond meal in the freezer. Can I use those to make almond milk? I'm not able to do a lot a baking these days so not using the ground almonds.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Seabreezes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:40 PM   #680
Senior LCF Member

Here's the recipe from the Vitamix web site:

Quote:
Almond or Cashew Milk

Ingredients

3 cups (720 ml) water
1 cup (140 g) raw almonds or cashews
Sugar or sweetener, to taste (optional)

Directions

Place all ingredients into the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure lid.

Select Variable 1.

Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to Variable 10, then to High.

Blend for 2 minutes or until desired consistency is reached.

If you desire to strain away sediment, place a fine mesh sieve or filtration bag over a large bowl. Pour almond milk slowly into sieve and allow to filter through, or stir the milk in the sieve with a spatula to encourage it to pass through more rapidly. Do not strain if using cashews. *Note: Almond Milk is high in fiber only if it's not strained.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:51 AM   #681
Major LCF Poster!

Lilybell-I got the 7500 from QVC last December-it is similar to the Pro 750 but doesn't have the presets I think? It does have the variable speed-I am with you-I couldn't figure out why a machine would only have high speed and use all those preset times? I think he had to use the tamper a whole lot more with those recipes! but the ones he did demonstrate worked fine! they keep making more and more different models--the model of mine they don't sell anymore on QVC-but they sell a different one--it might be because it was recalled to be repaired--I hope that doesn't mean anything too serious-I did get another years warranty! still a little disconcerting.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:10 AM   #682
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Lilibel.
Old 10-28-2013, 01:28 PM   #683
Senior LCF Member

You're very welcome, Seabreezes.

Jeanne, you're right, the 7500 is exactly the same machine as the Pro 750, the only difference is the Pro 750 has the presets.

The recall was voluntary. There were, I believe, only 18 broken blades out of 165,000 but even that small number was unacceptable to Vitamix. They redesigned the blade and recalled all the low profile 64 oz. containers so they could retrieve all the faulty 4 inch blades and replace them with the newly designed 4 inch blade. To help compensate for our inconvenience, they gave us an additional year on our warranty and either an apron or the 101 Blender Drinks book.

QVC doesn't always have the 7500 available... it seems to come and go with them; however, other stores and Vitamix do keep it in stock. Sur La Table and Williams-Sonoma sell the Professional Series 300, which is the identical twin of the 7500... it just has a different number on the front. This appears to be a marketing pattern for whatever reason. For example, there is no difference between the Professional 500 and the 6300. The 6300 is sold primarily at Costco and the Professional 500 elsewhere, but the machines are identical in everything but the number on the front.

The 6000 is not a machine I would want. It would be OK if it had a variable speed control but without it, I wouldn't want it at any price. It's my guess, and it's only a guess, but QVC keeps stressing that they are the only one that has this machine, with the exception of Vitamix of course. So, I'm thinking they probably wanted a machine they could have as an exclusive. Frankly, I can't see stores like Williams=Sonoma, Sur La Table, or Costco even wanting to market this machine. I think QVC will have a lot of "buyers remorse" returns on this one.

The 6000, in my opinion, is nothing but a take off on the commercial Vitamix BarBoss, which is a perfect machine for use in bars... thus the name. The BarBoss probably has a somewhat different set of timed settings because it's intended for mixing cocktails while the bartender goes about doing something else. The machine makes perfect sense in a bar setting where a busy bartender is churning out cocktails, but not so much in a home kitchen.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:05 AM   #684
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brittone2
I've read mixed things about whether the 6300 and pro 500 are the same. One review on chowhound mentioned that the fan doesn't run on the 6300 as much as it does on the pro500 even though they look alike?

Can anyone comment? MIL wants to buy us a vitamix for Christmas and I'm trying to narrow down the models. I know I want variable control, not sure I need presets although I've read the pros and cons. I have considered the ones with pulse, but I do have a food processor already. It seems like pulse is good for not pulverizing things like salsa ingredients into gazpacho but if I have a food processor I assume pulse isn't a must have.

We need a 64 oz container (family of 5), and I *think* I would prefer the shorter, squatter model as it seems like it would be easier to remove nut butters, etc. from those (maybe?).

Suggestions on a model? Costco is an option, but I've read about a few QC issues on the 6300 on chowhound. Not sure if those are an anomaly. I think I'd like the pro series ones, but that seems so steep, even for a vitamix. I'm thinking about a pro 750 but doing refurb.
brittone2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:26 AM   #685
Major LCF Poster!

I have the 5300 from Costco and love it. Someone mentioned that you had more versatility with the variable over the preset version. Our Costco just had a weekend sale.....but that has gone by now.

I've had mine for a while now and really enjoy it.
Old 12-02-2013, 01:40 PM   #686
Senior LCF Member

The Pro 750 has the short 64 oz. container, the wider 4 inch blade, has 5 presets and the fan runs at all speeds. The refurb price is great.

To the best of my knowledge, the 6300 and the 500 are identical with the exception of the model number on the case. This machine has 3 presets, and the tall narrow-bottom container with the 3 inch blade.

All current Vitamix containers can be used with the Pro 750; however, the short, wide-bottom 64 oz. container that comes with the Pro 750 is exclusive to the Next Generation models and should not be run on lower powered machines such as the 6300/500, 5200, etc., as to do so may damage the motor on those machines.

Vitamix had a special running on their refurbished machines throughout November. They have extended that special to run through today, Cyber Monday.
Old 12-05-2013, 03:15 PM   #687
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jlp2009
I still love my old 3600. I am making almond and coconut milk frequently with it. So easy! I do strain my milk and then dry the leftover "pulp" to a sort of cereal or granola type substance. Really good! And homemade coconut/almond milk is way less expensive than store bought.
jlp2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:41 PM   #688
Senior LCF Member

There are still a lot of 3600 machines in use.

I've seen a number of people comment that they use their dried coconut pulp to make coconut butter.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:45 AM   #689
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cablegriz
Stats: 218/178/200/140
WOE: LC, Insulin Resistant on Metformin HCL 2000mg
Start Date: April 23, 2010 a restart for my health
bump
Cablegriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 06:48 AM   #690
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cablegriz
Stats: 218/178/200/140
WOE: LC, Insulin Resistant on Metformin HCL 2000mg
Start Date: April 23, 2010 a restart for my health
Making this weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
Char's Low-Carb Frozen Margaritas

1 can Diet Mountain Dew
1.5 ounces tequila
Juice of 1 lime

Pour Dew into a ziplock freezer bag; freeze flat til frozen.

Break Dew up into VitaMix or blender; add tequila and lime juice blend til slushy.

Serve in salt-rimmed glasses if desired.

Makes 2 margaritas.

If you like a little orange flavor in your margarita, you can add some DaVinci SF orange syrup or orange water to taste. You can also sweeten more if you like with Splenda.

You have to plan ahead a bit for this one - I usually keep a frozen bag o'Dew in the freezer at the ready!

This looks awesome! Going to make it this weekend. Glad to have found the thread!
Cablegriz is offline   Reply With Quote