Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2013, 04:25 PM   #631
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Dogdollar
Hello,
I am new to the forum, but actually joined because of this thread. Looking to lose some weight, and I went all-in on a VitaMix 750 last week so I'm looking for recipes, too.
So far, I am really enjoying the VitaMix, but there is very clearly a learning curve involved...if all you do is throw fruits at it you can quickly overdo your sugar. On the other hand, you have to "temper" the flavor of greens (like kale, spinach, chard, etc.) with some sweetness and maybe even something for texture, like an avocado or a frozen banana. I'm sure I'll get the hang of it as time goes by.
Anyway, the 750 is the top of the line...it has the programs OR it can be run at variable speeds; so, if you just can't decide what to do without, then don't do without anything, spend the money and get the 750. At the price point for ALL of these machines, it would be a shame to spend that much on ANY of them and then regret not spending 50-100 more to have gotten what you really wanted.
Mine came with the lower profile 64 oz container and I like it, but it seemed so big....and most of the time it's only going to be me making smoothies, etc......so I also bought the 32 0z container. To be honest, I haven't even used it yet.....the bigger one seems much better suited for fitting more ingredients in and giving them the room they need to blend. If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't have bought the 32. The 48 might be a better option if you HAVE to have a smaller container.
Anyway, enjoyed the thread and looking forward to getting some tips on here.

Regards,
DD
Dogdollar is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2013, 04:57 PM   #632
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lilybell2
WOE: Atkins
Welcome, DD, and congratulations on your new Vitamix. I also have the Pro 750... it's a magnificent beast.
Lilybell2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:15 PM   #633
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EllaP
Stats: 229/144/139
WOE: HF/MP/VLC
Just an FYI... Vitamix has a issued recall today on the short 64oz container

'....Vitamix has issued a voluntary safety recall for the “64-ounce Low-Profile” container that has been sold with three of its blender models: the Vitamix 7500™, Professional Series™ 750®, and Professional Series™ 300®. A potential safety concern has been identified with the blades used in this specific container. If you own one of the affected blender models, please continue reading to learn how Vitamix will replace the blade in your container with an updated design.....'

You can go to ProductEntry to see if your container is recalled and for instructions. Guess I better order myself that 32 I've been wanting, as there is no way I can be without my vitamix for 7 to 10 days.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:11 PM   #634
Senior LCF Member

Thank you for sharing this information, Ella.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:16 PM   #635
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Anne

Congrats on your new machine. You will be happy that you have your
grain container. I am gluten free and wanted to make some flour out of
roasted sunflower seeds. The VitaMix made it in a jiffy. Just watch out as
it's fast and can be sunflower butter if not careful My flour is light and fluffy.
Barbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:49 PM   #636
Senior LCF Member

Ella, mine is one of the containers being recalled, so I'm glad I have others to use on my 750 while the container goes for blade replacement. Ah, well, Vitamix knows how to handle these situations... they're adding a year onto the warranty and including a gift, along with their abject apologies.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:05 AM   #637
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 1annewil
Stats: 165/156/150
WOE: Atkins/JUDD/Potato Hack/
Thanks, Ella, mine was one of the ones, also.

And Barbo, I haven't used that grain container as I'm still trying to lose more lbs. Soon, hopefully-Thanks
1annewil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:21 AM   #638
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Phew! Mine is not recalled. So relieved.
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:22 AM   #639
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Dang, I almost WISHED mine was one of the recalled models, so I could get the extended warranty and free gift!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:38 PM   #640
Senior LCF Member

The recall is only for the low profile 64 oz. container with the 4 inch blade, the recall does not apply to any other container as all other containers have a 3 inch blade.

I'll just use one of my other containers while I wait for the return of my container with its new blade. Nice that Vitamix is giving us "recallees" a gift and adding a year onto our warranties. Not too shabby.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:15 PM   #641
Senior LCF Member

I was really bummed with the thought that I would be without my container for several days, but I found out my Costco (20 miles away) was having a Vitamix Road Show this week so I made the trip this evening and bought a 48 oz container for 99.00. I was planning on getting a second container soon; this just pushed me to do it sooner.
EllaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:25 PM   #642
Senior LCF Member

Am quite pleased to find a tamper in the box.... I thought I was going to have to buy one.

This container (48 oz) fits a lot looser on my 7500 base, compared to the 64 oz that came with it. I'm hesitant to try it. Anyone else using the smaller containers on the larger machines finding the same thing?
Old 08-29-2013, 06:20 PM   #643
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 9/3/2012
Green smoothies

Anyone have some good recipes for green smoothies? Looking for low carb ones so the ones on their site use so much fruit. And, does this get rid of the fiber? TIA
Buffy45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:24 PM   #644
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Buffy, here is one on this very thread:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l#post12337597

Search this thread for "green smoothie" and you'll find more.

Also search the top of this board and you'll get even more hits.

No, it does NOT get rid of the fiber. Nothing is ejected - just ground up into the shake/smoothie/whatever it is you're making. Much healthier than juicing, IMHO.
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:44 PM   #645
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllaP View Post
Am quite pleased to find a tamper in the box.... I thought I was going to have to buy one.

This container (48 oz) fits a lot looser on my 7500 base, compared to the 64 oz that came with it. I'm hesitant to try it. Anyone else using the smaller containers on the larger machines finding the same thing?
Ella, it will work just fine. I have both the 48 oz. and the 32 oz. containers. The 48 oz. is a little looser, but that's OK.

Take a look at the base of your 64 oz. container and note that it is not completely square, e.g., it's like the corner of the container curves around the "rubber post" and then the side curves inward somewhat, and then it gently curves outward to the next corner, instead of going in a straight line from one corner to the next. Now, look at the base of your new 48 oz. container and note that it is completely square, going from corner to corner in straight lines. Because the bottom of the 48 oz. container lacks the inward curves of the 64 oz. container's bottom, it doesn't appear to "hug" as snugly as that container. Don't worry, it will work just fine.

The 32 oz. container, on the other hand, fits entirely inside the posts instead of outside like the other containers, but it works just fine too.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:20 AM   #646
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 9/3/2012
Thanks Charski!
Buffy45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:56 AM   #647
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybell2 View Post
Ella, it will work just fine. I have both the 48 oz. and the 32 oz. containers. The 48 oz. is a little looser, but that's OK.

Take a look at the base of your 64 oz. container and note that it is not completely square, e.g., it's like the corner of the container curves around the "rubber post" and then the side curves inward somewhat, and then it gently curves outward to the next corner, instead of going in a straight line from one corner to the next. Now, look at the base of your new 48 oz. container and note that it is completely square, going from corner to corner in straight lines. Because the bottom of the 48 oz. container lacks the inward curves of the 64 oz. container's bottom, it doesn't appear to "hug" as snugly as that container. Don't worry, it will work just fine.

The 32 oz. container, on the other hand, fits entirely inside the posts instead of outside like the other containers, but it works just fine too.
Thanks so much, Lilybell! I just needed a little confirmation before I dared to turned it on - didn't want that container flying around the kitchen! and certainly didn't want to damage my Vitamix.

Thank you again.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:37 AM   #648
Senior LCF Member

You are very welcome, Ella. Glad I could help.
Old 09-01-2013, 02:45 PM   #649
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Su11
Stats: Total loss- 65 (since Sept 05)
WOE: General lower carb- fructose limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllaP View Post
Just an FYI... Vitamix has a issued recall today on the short 64oz container

'....Vitamix has issued a voluntary safety recall for the “64-ounce Low-Profile” container that has been sold with three of its blender models: the Vitamix 7500™, Professional Series™ 750®, and Professional Series™ 300®. A potential safety concern has been identified with the blades used in this specific container. If you own one of the affected blender models, please continue reading to learn how Vitamix will replace the blade in your container with an updated design.....'

You can go to ProductEntry to see if your container is recalled and for instructions. Guess I better order myself that 32 I've been wanting, as there is no way I can be without my vitamix for 7 to 10 days.
Thanks. For the information. Mine is one of the recalls. I'll be waiting impatiently, but I'm so glad they did this.
Su11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:03 PM   #650
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jbatchelor
Stats: 248/174.5 /148
WOE: Atkins/Low carb
Just got my container back from Vitamix today-received the extended warranty and a really nice black apron with the vitamix logo on it--how did they know I needed a new apron-I had just remarked when canning that I had all the stains from whatever I made on my apron-the black will be a lot nice-plus it has two big pockets! I am glad it didn't take long--I miss it for chopping!
jbatchelor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:00 AM   #651
Senior LCF Member

I just got an email notification telling me that my container is on its way back home.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:34 PM   #652
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tstarre
WOW glad I checked in here. Mine is being recalled. Thanks for the info otherwise I wouldn't have known. Seems like they would contact peeps with info like this.
tstarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:52 PM   #653
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jbatchelor
Stats: 248/174.5 /148
WOE: Atkins/Low carb
I was contacted from QVC about the recall--even though I had registered at Vitamix I didn't receive any notification from them which I thought was odd? Can't complain about the service though! It was fast and customer service was super nice to speak to.

Last edited by jbatchelor; 09-20-2013 at 08:55 PM..
jbatchelor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:03 AM   #654
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 1annewil
Stats: 165/156/150
WOE: Atkins/JUDD/Potato Hack/
I got mine back very quickly with a Vita mix drinks cookbook.
1annewil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:13 PM   #655
Senior LCF Member

Got my container back today. I received the additional year extended warranty and the 101 Blender Drinks book.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:34 PM   #656
Senior LCF Member

So glad to have my low profile 64 oz. container back. I felt like having an all veggie smoothie so, as I had all the ingredients on hand, I made a "Garden Fresh Cocktail" from a recipe by Vitamix. It was exactly what my taste buds were hankering for.

Quote:
Garden Fresh Cocktail

Dietary Interest: vegetarian, gluten-free, low cholesterol, low fat, low sodium, no added sugar, raw foods

Yield: 1 3/4 c (420 ml)

Ingredients

1 cup (180 g) diced fresh or canned tomatoes
1/2 cup (15 g) fresh spinach, washed
1/4 cup (25 g) diced carrots
1 Tablespoon diced onion
1 sprig parsley
1/4 cup (40 g) diced sweet red or green bell pepper
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (optional)
1/8 teaspoon hot sauce (optional)
Dash of salt (optional)
1 cup (240 ml) ice cubes

Directions

Place all ingredients into the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure lid.
Select Variable 1.
Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to Variable 10, then to High.
Blend for 1 minute using the tamper to press the ingredients into the blades, or until desired consistency is reached.
For a finishing touch, I added a little fresh squeezed lemon juice at the end.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:49 PM   #657
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nelle Belle
Garden Fresh Cocktail

Dietary Interest: vegetarian, gluten-free, low cholesterol, low fat, low sodium, no added sugar, raw foods

Yield: 1 3/4 c (420 ml)

Ingredients

1 cup (180 g) diced fresh or canned tomatoes
1/2 cup (15 g) fresh spinach, washed
1/4 cup (25 g) diced carrots
1 Tablespoon diced onion
1 sprig parsley
1/4 cup (40 g) diced sweet red or green bell pepper
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (optional)
1/8 teaspoon hot sauce (optional)
Dash of salt (optional)
1 cup (240 ml) ice cubes

Directions

Place all ingredients into the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure lid.
Select Variable 1.
Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to Variable 10, then to High.
Blend for 1 minute using the tamper to press the ingredients into the blades, or until desired consistency is reached.

Now that is the first veggie concoction that actually sounds good. I just might make it.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:36 PM   #658
Senior LCF Member

I really enjoyed it, Nelle Belle. I added the lemon juice at the end, just because I like the way lemon juice brightens flavor. I think this one is a keeper.
Old 09-29-2013, 05:17 AM   #659
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jlp2009
on the recipe for the garden cocktail, you don't need to waste time dicing the veggies. That's the great thing about the vita mix!!
I bought the old 3600 and I love it.
jlp2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 03:39 PM   #660
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlp2009 View Post
on the recipe for the garden cocktail, you don't need to waste time dicing the veggies. That's the great thing about the vita mix!!
I bought the old 3600 and I love it.
I agree. I thought the instruction to use diced tomatoes and carrots seemed a bit odd, considering that it's a recipe written by Vitamix.