Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2013, 05:16 PM   #571
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tstarre
do I need a dry or wet for making nut butters. Nuts are dry... butter is wet...
tstarre is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2013, 09:50 PM   #572
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lilybell2
WOE: Atkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstarre View Post
do I need a dry or wet for making nut butters. Nuts are dry... butter is wet...
Nut butter is made with the wet blade.
Lilybell2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:11 AM   #573
Senior LCF Member

Thanks thats what I thought BUT as usual I started to overthink it. Thats why it took me 30 plus years to finally buy one
Got an email this morn and my new red blending machine will be here Wed just in time for my Thursday and Friday days off next week YAHOO
Old 07-12-2013, 09:46 AM   #574
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jbatchelor
Stats: 248/174.5 /148
WOE: Atkins/Low carb
Got my 7500 from QVC with easy pay-sure made quick work of canning zucchini relish this week-had to use a processor before to do all that chopping-I breezed thru it this time-it will make canning a whole lot nicer I think! I did see a blendtec at Sams club last week-don't know much about them?
jbatchelor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:35 AM   #575
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbatchelor View Post
Got my 7500 from QVC with easy pay-sure made quick work of canning zucchini relish this week-had to use a processor before to do all that chopping-I breezed thru it this time-it will make canning a whole lot nicer I think! I did see a blendtec at Sams club last week-don't know much about them?
In my experience, having both the 5000 and the Pro 750, the wide-bottom container with the 4 inch blade that comes with the second generation machines does a more efficient job of chopping than the narrower 64 oz. container that comes with prior models.

The Blendtec, like the Vitamix, is a high powered blender. The Blendtec uses buttons to select the various speeds whereas the Vitamix uses a dial that allows finer control. I suppose it comes down to preference. The Blendtec does not utilize a tamper, and some like that idea. However, without a tamper, it is sometimes necessary to stop the machine, remove the lid, and scrape down the sides of the container.

All Vitamix blenders come standard with the tamper, which allows you to push ingredients towards the blade without stopping the blender. Blendtec’s solution to this is an optional twister jar for thicker mixtures, such as nut butters, hummus, etc. As you blend, you turn the twister jar’s lid counterclockwise, and it scrapes down the blender, pushing ingredients back to the blade. (Some Blendtec owners purchase a third-party wooden tamper with a dowel inserted through the handle portion to keep it from hitting the blades).

A word about the tamper... use it! Especially while you're getting the hang of using your new machine. Every new thing has a learning curve. I can almost guarantee that until you've used your Vitamix for a while, you will make little errors, like forgetting to load liquids and softer ingredients first. That mistake isn't disastrous, however... just use your tamper to push the ingredients toward the blades to get things moving.

I seldom use the tamper when making smoothies, but I have been making them for a lot of years and I know how to best layer the ingredients. I always use the tamper for nut butters and frozen desserts. On the other hand, I almost never use it when making soups. When in doubt, use the tamper.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:48 AM   #576
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
There was a full hour on the Vitamix this morning on qvc. They said there would be another hour tonight at 7. I am on the east coast. I love watching because I learn new things about what I can use my Vitamix for. They made everything today. Soup, shredded potatoes for hashbrowns, juiced veggies, ice cream. You name it, they made it in there. He even mentioned using it for fondue!! I already own a Vitamix and I continue to tune it just to see what they do with it.

Thanks for the tips on the tamper. I don't use it. See no need, but when my kids want ice cream, I am guessing it would be best to use that. Thanks!!!

Btw, the Blendtec is what we used at Starbucks before we made the big switch over to the Vitamix. The Blendtec did do a great job on the frappuccinos when we had them years ago. Vitamix works just as well. I work there at Starbucks part-time. The guy on qvc (jan muller) said that Starbucks came to Vitamix to see if they could make a blender that was "less noisy than the most current ones at the time" and they did. That is what Jan says, turned Starbucks onto the Vitamix and off the Blendtec. I know that they also state on qvc that Jamba Juice, Smoothie King, and 2 others I have forgotten, uses a Vitamix in all their chains just like the Starbucks now does. Outback is another chain that uses the Vitamix. They also talk about the warranty from Vitamix. I don't know if it is lifetime or not, but I remember thinking it was. Or if not pretty darned close LOL. They put so much behind their blenders because they believe in them. So even if you have a problem or issue, you can still get great customer service from Vitamix. I know that Car has attested to that.

Anyway, so happy with my Vitamix.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:33 PM   #577

I was watching the talk show "Marie" yesterday and they had on a cookbook author who wrote a book on baking everything in cupcake tins. She found it to be great for portion control. Anyhow, at the end she gave Marie a drink. Not cooked in the cupcake tins LOL. It was watermelon juice. I think that is what she called it. Anyhow, she said it was just watermelon, pureed. I thought how ingenious!!! I have watermelon going bad all the time because we get one and it is too big. What a great way to use it all up!! Just whir it all up in the VitaMix. I am going to try it next time we have a watermelon.
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:50 PM   #578
Senior LCF Member

Dawn, thanks for sharing. We always seem to end up with more watermelon than we can possibly eat. I add watermelon to my smoothies when I have it around, but I've not made an all watermelon juice or smoothie. I'm definitely going try this... it sounds very refreshing.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:21 PM   #579
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Beth2013
Stats: 165/133/125
Start Date: January 1, 2013
Here's a photo of homemade Nutella using a Vitamix. Looks pretty smooth to me!

From a blog called Mom Mom's Apron. She grinds her hazlenuts to a fine powder first.

I probably sound a little Nutella-obsessed lol. I do seem to be blending stuff a lot more on LC, so I'm sure I'd use the Vitamix for a variety of things.

I'll be watching that demo on QVC tonight.
Beth2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:25 PM   #580

Wow!! That looks terrific! We love Nutella here. So yummy! I am guessing you could use hazelnut flour to start off with? I have some in my pantry. I bought it to use for crackers and have not made them yet. This could be another use for it.
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:36 PM   #581
Senior LCF Member

Hmmm...I never even thought of using hazelnut flour. She just grinds a cup of hazlenuts really fine in her Vitamix and then adds some salt, vanilla, honey, cocoa powder, peanut oil, chocolate chips and a little butter. She does toast the nuts prior to grinding.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:06 PM   #582
Senior LCF Member

I've always been a little Nutella obsessed myself, Beth.

I eat low carb so I don't use honey or chocolate chips in my Chocolate Nut Butter, I use 1/2 cup of Trader Joe's Unsweetened cocoa powder.

TJ's cocoa powder has 2 grams of carbs and 1 gram of fiber per tablespoon = 1 net carb gram per tablespoon.

There are 8 tablespoons in 1/2 cup, ergo, 8 net effective carbs.

My finished recipe, which uses 4 cups of nuts, usually measures over 16 oz., but to make it simple, I'll round it down to 16 oz.

In that 16 oz., or 32 tablespoons of Chocolate Nut Butter, there will be 8 net carbs from the cocoa powder, or 1/4 net effective carb per tablespoon of nut butter.

I do not use sugar or honey in my Chocolate Nut Butter, I use stevia, but any sweetener of choice could be used, enough to equal 4 teaspoons of sugar.

In the end, my Chocolate Nut Butter has 1/4 net carbs per tablespoon more than plain nut butter. The total number of net carbs will of course also depend on the net carbs in the nuts used.

I use dry roasted hazelnuts, I do not pre-grind them and I do not remove the skins. My Chocolate Nut Butter comes out smooth and yummy.

Recipe here: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l#post16443120
Old 07-12-2013, 04:18 PM   #583
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybell2 View Post
I've always been a little Nutella obsessed myself, Beth.
I've never been a fan of the peanut/chocolate combo (I might be the only one on the planet lol), but anything hazelnut/chocolate is heaven!

Thank you for the link to the recipe! It's annoying to me that there's not a decent LC version of Nutella available commercially. We already have our work cut out for us LC'ing so many things! I did find one brand, but many of the reviewers were critical that it wasn't smooth enough.

Now I gotta figure out what to tell DH about why we need 3 blenders! hyst:

And a kitchen torch...
And a donut hole maker...

LOL -- "They're for my diet, dear."
Old 07-12-2013, 04:21 PM   #584
Senior LCF Member

glad i came for a quick peek..few minutes late but recording the QVC vitamix show..getting ready

watermelon juice makes great margaritas or mojitos for those that imbibe
Old 07-12-2013, 04:30 PM   #585
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nelle Belle
Quote:
glad i came for a quick peek..few minutes late but recording the QVC vitamix show..getting ready

Where's the like button?
Nelle Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:50 PM   #586
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Quote:

If you like frozen margaritas - cube up the melon and freeze it, then add chunks to the VM and some tequila, and I like a splash of the Torani SF watermelon syrup too - makes a dandy and fast summertime drink.

Or any time, if you keep the frozen cubes around, you can have one at Christmas if you want!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:01 PM   #587
Senior LCF Member

I like your thinking, Char.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:05 AM   #588
Senior LCF Member

That demo QVC did last night was pretty impressive! The frozen concoctions using fruit and yogurt -- wow. I almost never watch QVC, but they did a great job. The peanut butter took only seconds to get creamy. Probably should have ordered one, but wanting to check out Costco's deals first. (I'm kind of a comparison shopper lol).
Old 07-13-2013, 10:24 AM   #589
Senior LCF Member

I watched the QVC presentation of the Vitamix Creations Elite, and I will candidly admit that I do not understand the thinking behind the container on that machine.

The Creations Elite is considered to be part of the second generation line of machines. Its base looks like the other second generation machines and it has a 2.2 HP motor like the other second generation machines. That 2.2 HP high torque motor is designed to handle the 4 inch blade. All the second generation machines, with the lone exception of the Creations Elite, come equipped with the 64 oz. container with the 4 inch blade. The Creations Elite comes with the 48 oz. container, which has the standard 3 inch blade. I don't get it.

It's not that there's anything wrong with the 3 inch blade, it's just that it isn't as efficient as the 4 inch blade. The 4 inch blade requires a stronger motor to drive it. So, if you've got a machine with a 2.2 HP motor, why wouldn't you equip it with the more efficient 4 inch blade container?

That question really piques my curiosity. I shall see if I can find the answer.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:17 AM   #590
Senior LCF Member

my Vity is coming today. should be here when I get home from work. happy dance

That guy on QVC was a crack up they way he scarfed everything the second it was done.
Glad you mentioned that about the smaller container cause I was feeling like maybe I should have gotten that one with the 5 easy pays. But my refurbished one was already on the way with the bigger 64oz and big blades so I'm happy again TY
Old 07-17-2013, 10:54 AM   #591
Senior LCF Member

You're welcome, tstarre. I'm sure you will be happy with your choice, and you're going to love your new Vitamix.

I always get a kick out of the various QVC hosts and the way they act over food. They are sales people after all, and whatever they're handed, they smack their lips and roll their eyes as though it's the best thing they've ever tasted. I swear, they could be handed a cup of soapy dishwater to taste and they'd act the same way... it's their job.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:38 PM   #592
Senior LCF Member

They were pretty funny at times. Was still quite impressive when he made the sherbet type concoction by just mixing yogurt and fresh strawberries. Pretty sure neither of my current blenders will do that lol.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:12 PM   #593
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth2013 View Post
They were pretty funny at times. Was still quite impressive when he made the sherbet type concoction by just mixing yogurt and fresh strawberries. Pretty sure neither of my current blenders will do that lol.
The demonstrations are very good and they are authentic, the ecstatic reactions of the hosts... not so much.

Making a smoothie or even a simple soup is not that intimidating, so most people have no problem getting started making them in their new Vitamix, but they may hesitate to tackle what they see as more difficult recipes. So, I think the demonstrations can really be helpful and are especially good for showing just how easily things like nut butters and frozen desserts can be made in the Vitamix.

I love making low carb frozen desserts in my Vitamix.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:39 AM   #594
Senior LCF Member

VITAMIX is in the house. as predicted green smoothie was made. Dh said it was verrry smooth. I was at work and I was a little surprized that he opened it and got right to it.

our local costco is have demos for the next two weeks. They seem to have really good prices on the jars but the demo person didn't seem to know which jars will fit my 7500 so she told me to call Vitamix. she is selling some other model in the 6000 series?

While I was at Costco I got alot of fruit to make some frozen LC yummy. Blueberries, mangos, strawberries. I have yogurt too..so probably just freeze the fruit and blend with yo? maybe add some splenda. Guess you really can't go wrong
Old 07-18-2013, 09:48 AM   #595
Gadget Gal

Oh YAY! Another VitaMix happy camper! LOL!

I buy the frozen fruit at Costco - mixed berries, peaches, I think they have mangoes but DH is allergic, strawberries.

I've used yogurt and I've used heavy cream and I've used half & half and I've used almond milk - pour the liquid in the jar first, put the fruit in next, turn on HIGH and have that tamper through the lid and push push push the fruit down into the blades. It makes a gawd-awful noise at first but in about 45 seconds you have soft "ice cream" - IIRC, it's a cup of liquid to a pound of fruit, but verify that before you do it! I actually think the instructions for doing it are way upthread here someplace, and I know it's in the book that came with my VitaMix.

Have fun and be sure you report back EVERYTHING you make with it!

BTW - it makes crushed ice so fast you can't believe it. Directions for that should be in your book too.

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Old 07-18-2013, 11:55 AM   #596
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
our local costco is have demos for the next two weeks. They seem to have really good prices on the jars but the demo person didn't seem to know which jars will fit my 7500 so she told me to call Vitamix. she is selling some other model in the 6000 series?
I have the Pro 750, which is the same as the 7500 except that it has pre-sets. Your 7500 can handle ALL the current Vitamix containers, including the 32 oz. wet container, the 32 oz. dry container, the 48 oz. container, and the tall 64 oz. container. There is no current container that the Second Generation machines can't handle.

On the other hand, earlier VM machines with the 2.0 HP motors, including the 6300 that the demonstrator is selling at Costco (same as the Professional Series 500) CANNOT handle the 64 oz. container with the 4 inch blade. A higher torque higher horse power motor is required to drive the longer blade. In short, anything that can be used on the 6300 or 5200 can also be used on your 7500.

You can probably get a good price on a 32 oz. container at Costco right now. If that's the case, I would go for it before they run out. Make sure you get what you want. The perfect companion for your big container is the 32 oz. wet container, which will permit you to process very small amounts that are not possible to process in your large container. The dry blade 32 oz. container is nice if you are planning on making your own flours, etc., but that can also be done with the wet blade.

Like Charski, I buy a lot of Costco's frozen fruits for smoothies and frozen desserts. Love the fresh too.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:34 PM   #597
Gadget Gal

Just got back from Costco - the Vitamix Demo was in full swing! He was making spinach ice cream - with banana and pineapple, and apple juice to sweeten. I didn't taste it because I didn't want all that fruit, but the (many) people who were waiting for it all said MMMMM when they ate it! LOL!

I did throw in a hand to the guy - said I was considering the new model because of the presets, that I LOVED my 5000 and would RUN out to buy another if it ever broke - he said, oh that must be about 10 years old? and I said no, it was bought in 2007 (which I knew from reading the early pages of this thread this morning! ) and I absolutely loved it and would not be without one in the house. Other people's ears were perked up listening to the conversation, so I hope at least one or two bought!

It was $399.99 with lots of extras. GREAT price.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:45 PM   #598
Senior LCF Member

"Char The Enabler" strikes again.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:46 PM   #599
Gadget Gal