Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2013, 11:35 AM   #511
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Billie, I did see her add the fresh spinach leaves, it was a small handful - just the amount you could easily pick up in one hand, not squshed together or anything.

Still not very exact - but it's the way I do stuff too!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2013, 12:53 PM   #512
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lilybell2
WOE: Atkins
Thanks, Charski. I shall do some experimenting with this one and see what I can come up with.
Lilybell2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:45 PM   #513
Senior LCF Member

I made Chocolate Nut Butter yesterday.

2 cups of almonds
1 cup of hazelnuts
1 cup of pecans
1/2 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tbsp. of light olive oil
(Any good light oil would work. I didn't use coconut oil because I was concerned that in combination with the dry cocoa powder it might make the mixture become too stiff under refrigeration.)
Sweetener of choice, enough to equal 4 tsp. of sugar

I mixed it all together in a Ziploc bag so the nuts were coated with the chocolate, oil, and sweetener. Then I popped it all into the Vitamix and made the nut butter. It came out so creamy and yummy.... incredibly filled with decadent goodness.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:11 PM   #514
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sherrymyra
Sounds good. What are you going to use it with?
sherrymyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:47 PM   #515
Senior LCF Member

This morning I took a banana and broke it into small chunks and put chocolate nut butter on each piece. Had that with my morning coffee and it was wonderful. It's also good on toasted coconut paleo bread. I thought I might try warming it a little so it's more the consistency of hot fudge topping and then use it to top Vitamix ice cream.

Honestly, it could probably make cardboard taste good.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:50 AM   #516
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nelle Belle
Used my Vitamix all weekend to make Piña Coladas.
Nelle Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:14 AM   #517
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lcmiller461
Stats: 160/135/125
WOE: Atkins, etc.
Recipe please?
lcmiller461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:17 AM   #518
Senior LCF Member

I used mine this weekend for a quick chop of onions, celery and pickles. I cut up the onions into quarters, added the celery (cut in thirds) and baby dill pickles. Then I filled the pitcher with water and turned in on/off twice. Strained the water and patted dry the veges and added them to my tuna salad. So EASY!
Old 05-28-2013, 05:06 PM   #519
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcmiller461 View Post
Recipe please?
For the piña coladas? No recipe. I found a "diet" pc mix by skinny taste. Just add rum and ice. It was awesome.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:31 PM   #520
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LizBeth
Stats: 16/14/6
WOE: Atkins OWL
Start Date: re-re-restarted March 2008
bump
LizBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:55 PM   #521
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tstarre
Hi Vita mix lovers
I went to QVC cause I'm thinking with the 5 easy payments that would be a nice way to pick up one of these darlings. Guess I never realized there were so many differant models and differant size jars. And then it seems sometimes they are running specials so now I'm not even sure what is a good price? Any thoughts on models and such would be appreciated. Guess I would be using it mostly for smoothies and nut flours and butters. Ice cream in summer and soup in winter too. Our Costco is having a road show in July but I think it is some new 6000 series and is pretty pricey. Thanks in advance
tstarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:16 AM   #522
Senior LCF Member

No help or thoughts? o well I'll figure it out
Old 07-03-2013, 09:11 AM   #523
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
Start Date: September 2000
Sorry, I didn't answer because I don't know the answer. I have the 32 and 64 ounce containers. I use the little one most, but I think you have to buy it as an extra. The newer machines have a 48 oz container. I understand they are great.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:33 AM   #524
Senior LCF Member

I went to the Vitamix website to figure out which one I wanted. I think they even have a comparison table. I ended up getting one of their refurbished ones, so that really cut down on my choices, lol, but I think whichever one you get you'll love it--I know I definitely love mine!
Old 07-03-2013, 12:14 PM   #525
Senior LCF Member

It can be hard to choose... there are so many choices.

I have the 5000, which has the taller 64 oz. container. (I have owned this machine for 11+ years and it has served me well). The taller 64 oz. container is the container that comes with most models, including the 5200 and the 6300. (Some models are available with the 48 oz. container). These machines all precede the "second generation" series, which is the newest, and includes the Pro 750, Pro 300, and the 7500. (Do a search for YouTube videos of Vitamix demonstrations. You can narrow your search by using the model number of the machine you're interested in viewing).

I also have the Pro 750 which (like the 6300) has presets. (Some people like the presets and some don't. I do). To see the presets in action, you can watch a 6300 demo at Costco, or a Pro 750 (or Pro 300 - no presets) demo at Sur La Table or Williams Sonoma. The Pro 750, like the Pro 300 and the 7500, comes with the new, shorter, wide-base 64 0z. container with the 4 inch blade. The second generation series also has a 2.2 HP motor, the strongest motor available on a Vitamix home machine. (A stronger motor is required to drive the 4 inch blade assembly, which is why a second generation container should never be used on a Vitamix with lower horsepower. The second generation machines can also handle any of the Vitamix containers with a 3 inch blade assembly).

I think the ideal combination is a second generation machine with an added 32 oz. container for doing very small jobs, like salad dressing, etc. I believe the 32 oz. container can be purchased at a discount if it is purchased at or around the same time you purchase your Vitamix. (Be sure to ask them to include the mini-tamper with the 32 oz. container).

Personally, I think a very good option is to purchase one of the refurbished second generation machines directly from Vitamix. You would have the advantage of the new shorter 64 oz. container with the 4 inch blade, the stronger motor, and you could pay for it in three payments.

A refurbished machine could simply be one that was sold but never used, because the new owner was too intimidated to even take it out of the box. (That does happen). Regardless, Vitamix goes over these machines with a fine tooth comb and makes sure they are in tiptop shape. Vitamix manufactures and repairs its machines in their own factory in Ohio, and they know what they're doing. Vitamix also equips their refurbished machines with a brand new container and new owner's manual and cookbook as well, and the refurbished machines all have the Vitamix warranty.

We all have different needs... I make a lot of nut butters and frozen desserts and I really appreciate the ease with which the contents can be removed from the second generation machine's wide base container.

If you call Vitamix Customer Service, they will be happy to discuss the various machines with you and help you choose the one that's right for you.

Last edited by Lilybell2; 07-03-2013 at 12:26 PM..
Old 07-03-2013, 04:51 PM   #526
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
I bought my 5000 refurbished from a seller on eBay and it was shipped to me directly from Vitamix. It came with a 64 oz. container. I bought the 32 oz. container at a Costco roadshow. I also have the 64 oz. dry blade container (bought used on eBay) for grinding me sprouted/dehydrated grains.

I use the 32 oz. container most of the time for anything other than grains, the 64 oz. sees occasional use when I'm doing a lot of something.
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:25 AM   #527
Senior LCF Member

O thanks peeps!!!
WOW Lillybell2 you have 2 Vitamix thats wild...I see alot of recommends for the refurbished so thats nice to know. Funny I'm kind of leery of a wider base. I had a kitchen aid or cuisinart can't remember which...and it had a wide base. I didn't like it at all BUT I know the Vita mix is a whole other animal.
I guess it looks like it will come down to do I want preset feature or not? Don't have a clue LOL I do know I will want a smaller jar for making nut flours.
Costco has the Blendtec with preset and a smaller jar for $369 which seems like a great price but I don't know about getting that and then being dissappointed cause I didn't cough up the extra bucks and get the vitamix
Old 07-05-2013, 09:35 AM   #528
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
Sorry, I didn't answer because I don't know the answer.
This says it all. You have to decide for yourself what you want in the machine. I got the only Vitamix that QVC had at the time and got it on a today's special value. I don't even know if they offer it any longer. If I would have waited I would have gotten the next today's special value that is the on that fits under the counter. Or is that over the counter? Anyway, my machine as of now is in the dining room because when it sits together it is way to big for my counter top and cannot sit out on it. In buying this kind of machine you have to buy what works for you, in your situation. We cannot tell you what to get.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:01 AM   #529
Senior LCF Member

I went to the vita mix site and started to go a bit into overload so its always nice to have some feedback from peeps that are already owners. Just opinions.... I'm not asking anyone to tell me what to get;o)
Looks like I will probably buy the 7500 series AND refurbished based on the opinions of those above again TY lillybell2, Charski and lcmiller461 glad to hear you have been happy with your refurbished models and sorry you seem to be unhappy with the model you got dawnyama maybe you could trade it for the 7500 which would probably sit under your counters. Blender guy is a nice blog about the differant models too. Really helpful for any of you out there ready to take the vitamix plunge
Old 07-05-2013, 11:04 AM   #530
Senior LCF Member

o and thanks for the tip about asking for the tamper with the 32oz jar. I wouldn't have even known to do that. You peeps are awesome. hope to be sharing my vitamix stories soon
Old 07-05-2013, 12:20 PM   #531
Senior LCF Member

You're very welcome. You'll love your new Vitamix.

Be sure you come back and tell us all about what you make first.

Last edited by Lilybell2; 07-05-2013 at 12:22 PM..
Old 07-05-2013, 12:50 PM   #532
Senior LCF Member

I will... even hubby is excited about this purchase. he has gotten on a green smoothie kick and knows this is one of the very best blenders to get. We grow kale, chard, spinach in the garden so pretty sure something green will be the first thing pulverized. Second will be some kind of sweet frozen yummy with coconut and honey or splenda. I'm getting excited. This is my day off so will probably order today. Geez hope they have a reconditioned one....never even thought about that
Old 07-05-2013, 01:53 PM   #533

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstarre View Post
and sorry you seem to be unhappy with the model you got dawnyama
Nope. I am quite happy love my Vita Mix as my Ninja just wasn't cutting it. Even my teenaged kids make smoothies in it. And they are so smooth! Just wish it were a bit less bulky. It takes up so much space. But doesn't all the good kitchen gadgetry My KitchenAide stand mixer is being stored in the dining room as well. If it were not for Qvc and their easy pay, I would not have been able to get my VitaMix. I am definitely happy!

Last edited by dawnyama; 07-05-2013 at 01:58 PM..
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:49 PM   #534
Senior LCF Member

Easy pay would be awesome. I've never shopped QVC cause if I did it once I probably wouldn't know when to stop;O)
Old 07-05-2013, 04:34 PM   #535

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstarre View Post
Easy pay would be awesome. I've never shopped QVC cause if I did it once I probably wouldn't know when to stop;O)
That is my problem I love the q a bit too much, but the interest free payments with the 30 day return policy lets me try it out. If I don't like it I know I can return, without having to pay out the total $500. But I have kept it. I love my VitaMix and think everyone should get one I make the best spinach smoothie that has no chunks now.

ETA: they also have the Blentec on their site. I have heard good things with that one too. The VitaMix is what I use at Starbucks, we used to use the BlendTec and for whatever reason Starbucks switched all it stores to the VitaMix.

Last edited by dawnyama; 07-05-2013 at 04:37 PM..
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:48 PM   #536
Senior LCF Member

yep I started being tempted by that blendtec at costco but I picked it up and it didn't have the heft I was expecting. And then I kind of popped in here which with work and all I don't have too much time to do and someone had revised this thread. So with a little more google searching and the help here I finally pulled the trigger YEAH. so I just ordered a refurbished RED 7500 series. I decided to hold off on a smaller jar to save some money and I might not really need one. If I do I know what my Christmas present to myself will be;o)

I love the q too funny Dawn
Old 07-06-2013, 08:11 PM   #537
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
You all are killing me! I don't need this, I don't need this, I don't need this.........
CindyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:37 PM   #538
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sherrymyra
I love my refurbished model.
sherrymyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:44 PM   #539
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyCRNA View Post
You all are killing me! I don't need this, I don't need this, I don't need this.........
Yes you do, yes you do, yes you do!
Old 07-07-2013, 09:18 AM   #540
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyCRNA View Post
It's only a matter of time. Might as well get it now.