Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2013, 02:53 PM   #481
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Oh it was so good. I take bananas that are about to become too ripe, peel, halve, and put them in a gallon ziploc and throw 'em in the freezer. Then when I want a smoothie - they're frozen and ready! Thickens the stuff up nicely.

The other one I like is half a frozen banana and half a cup of Costco's frozen mixed berries, a cup of whatever milk product you like, sweetener to taste. Very refreshing and yummy.
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2013, 03:40 PM   #482
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lilybell2
WOE: Atkins
I do the same thing with my bananas that are getting too ripe. I have some in the freezer right now, and I just happen to have a brand new bag of Costco's frozen mixed berries. Opportunity knocks.
Lilybell2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:52 AM   #483
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
I made a killer smoothie last night (not induction friendly, good if you're in maintenance and eat bananas though) - 1 banana, frozen, and cut into chunks, 1 cup TJ's coconut milk in the carton (could use almond milk or soy milk, whatever you like), sweetener to taste, and a tablespoon of natural PB. MAN it was good!
I made this one last night, using almond milk... delicious!

I've been busy this morning... just made almond butter, and then hummus, and now I'm going to whip up a smoothie.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:10 PM   #484
Gadget Gal

Me too - took my homecured, homesmoked pork belly, skinned it, sliced it, and am now ovenroasting it. DANG it smells GOOD in here!

Don't you just LOVE how smooth you can get all that stuff in the Vitamix? It's such a workhorse!
Old 04-24-2013, 02:35 PM   #485
Senior LCF Member

Oooh, that sounds so good, and it must smell great... it's almost making me drool just thinking about it.

I do love my Vitamix. It's amazing how it can get everything so silky smooth.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:52 PM   #486
Gadget Gal

Oh it smelled fantastic! I ended up doing 4 pans - one plain, one sprinkled with Nebraska steak seasoning, one brushed with Joseph's SF maple syrup, and one of lardons made from the ends and leftovers.

Hmmm, maybe a bacon maple smoothie....
Old 04-24-2013, 10:00 PM   #487
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Hmmm, maybe a bacon maple smoothie....
Aha! A new recipe!
Old 05-02-2013, 08:41 AM   #488
Gadget Gal

OK, hold me back - Costco is doing a Vitamix Roadshow right now, and til Mother's Day. The new model, 6300, has so many cool bells and whistles! $499 for the big combo deal including the full thick ring-bound cookbook! AND they had one in the stainless colored paint.

AAACCCCKKKK.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:37 AM   #489
Senior LCF Member

I don't see how you can possibly hold yourself back, Charski! That sounds like a great price for a big package. The 6300 is a really nice machine, and the pre-sets are a handy feature.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:04 AM   #490
Gadget Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybell2 View Post
I don't see how you can possibly hold yourself back, Charski! That sounds like a great price for a big package. The 6300 is a really nice machine, and the pre-sets are a handy feature.
Uh oh - the Enabler is being ENABLED!

DH said, "Sell yours and buy that one if you want it." GREAT. TWO enablers.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:44 AM   #491
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Uh oh - the Enabler is being ENABLED!

DH said, "Sell yours and buy that one if you want it." GREAT. TWO enablers.
Go for it
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:02 PM   #492
Gadget Gal

I just checked out the VM website - I can get a refurbished one with a 5 year warranty for $379 AND they'll give me $100 trade-in on my old one. Hmmm. This is getting serious!
Old 05-02-2013, 12:32 PM   #493
Senior LCF Member

Yes, Charski, I confess to being an enabler. And see... it isn't just me and your DH who are enablers... it's Dawn and Vitamix too!

I think you should accept this as a strong sign that you should listen to the enablers.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:59 PM   #494
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
I just checked out the VM website - I can get a refurbished one with a 5 year warranty for $379 AND they'll give me $100 trade-in on my old one. Hmmm. This is getting serious!
But does it have ALL the bells and whistles of the new one? Oh, I like the idea of trading in. That sounds doable!
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:50 PM   #495
Gadget Gal

Yep, Dawn, it's either the 6300 model, which is what I saw at Costco, or a very similar "commercial" model. It's so tempting!
Old 05-02-2013, 04:33 PM   #496
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tofucheez
FWIW, I bought that one and didn't think the pre-sets and cookbook were worth the extra cost AT ALL. Of course, we're all different, with different needs, but I really couldn't see the value in either (pre-sets and cookbook). I ended up returning it and getting the more basic model Costco sells.....and I LOVE it!
tofucheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:31 PM   #497
Gadget Gal

Thanks, tofucheese - I've kind of come to the same conclusion this afternoon myself. I think I'll just keep what I've got!
Old 05-02-2013, 10:43 PM   #498
Senior LCF Member

I understand how you feel, Charski. I was happy with my 5000 for 11 years. Nothing tempted me. And then, as fate would have it, Vitamix came out with the 7500/750 New Generation series. When I saw that shorter, wide-based 64 ounce container with the 4 inch blade, and the 2.2 HP motor, I knew I was lost... I could feel my resolve melting away. So, I saved up and bought my Pro 750, which I have fondly nicknamed, "The Beast," and I couldn't be happier.

One of these days, you too may well meet the machine you'll be unable to resist. Until then, I'm sure you'll continue to enjoy your present Vitamix that has served you so well, and hopefully will continue to share your wonderful recipes.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:52 AM   #499
Gadget Gal

LOL Lily! This machine IS that machine - I had a Maxi4000 first, which I bought used online; had it several years, then decided I wanted the 5000 for the see-through Lexan container and the variable speeds, instead of the on/off forward/reverse of the Maxi. So I certainly understand what you're talking about!

I have the 64 oz and the 32 oz regular containers, and a 64 oz grain container I bought from eBay a couple months back, so I'm pretty happy. Mine has to live in an auxiliary space anyway, as I have SO little counter space, but it's so easy to just grab it and put it on the countertop when I need to use it.

I think the new one had me mesmerized with the blue light, the different settings for frozen desserts, soups, etc., and the pulse button - but when I actually got to THINKING about it, I rarely make soups to the point of hot in there, and I think a lot of the frozen desserts require interaction anyway with the tamper - and the blue light, while pretty, is kind of a gimmick - I mean, I KNOW when the machine is on or off!

So for now, I'll stick with my beloved 5000.

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Old 05-03-2013, 11:26 AM   #500
Senior LCF Member

I love my 5000 too, that's why I didn't trade it in... I just couldn't bear to part with it.

The thing that really sold me on the Pro 750 is its shorter wide-bottomed 64 oz. container with the 4 inch blade. I make a lot of frozen desserts and a lot of nut butters, and I have done more than my share of mumbling and grumbling while scraping as much as I can out of the 5000's tall narrow-bottomed 64 oz. container and then finishing up with a smoothie. I don't have that problem with the new 64 oz. container. Also, I'm able to keep the 750 on the counter and I find I'm using it even more than I used my 5000, so for me it was a good choice.

I also have the 32 oz. wet container, which I really like, and I recently added the 32 oz. dry container.

Gotta love all the choices and features that Vitamix offers.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:13 PM   #501
Gadget Gal

I know, right? People don't "get" why anyone would spend that much money for "just a blender" - those are the people who don't "get" that this is NOT just a blender! I could NEVER do the things I do with my VM with "just a blender" - like grind my sprouted, dehydrated grains down to a fine flour, put frozen berries (rock hard strawberries!), a little liquid, and sweetener IN, and in less than 60 seconds, get a soft-serve ice cream OUT, make a full container of crushed ice in mere seconds, etc. Like I told the gal doing the Costco demo, in full earshot of everyone standing nearby - if my Vitamix broke today, I'd be here or on the Internet getting a new one ASAP!
Old 05-03-2013, 01:31 PM   #502
Senior LCF Member

You are so right... so many people just don't "get" it. The Vitamix is not an ordinary blender, it's a life changer. I eat so much healthier now than I ever did before getting my first Vitamix.

I don't think I could manage without my Vitamix, and I don't even want to think about trying.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:08 PM   #503
Gadget Gal

LOL! I know what you mean.

The demo lady made this killer-good frappuccino - coffee, a banana, spinach, and ice cubes! No WAY are you ever gonna get all THAT so smooooooth that you'd never know there was spinach in it at all in a REGULAR blender. I was skeptical that I'd still taste that spinach but nope. I did not.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:11 PM   #504
Senior LCF Member

I'll bet it was delicious! I don't suppose you jotted down the recipe?
Old 05-13-2013, 09:36 PM   #505
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Smiles
Stats: 217/155/135
WOE: low carb, wheat free, low GI
Great recipes here. Thanks

Tracy
Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:59 PM   #506
Senior LCF Member

Welcome, Tracy.

I just made cashew butter. I thought almond butter was good (and it is) but cashew butter is amazing.

Last edited by Lilybell2; 05-13-2013 at 10:01 PM..
Old 05-17-2013, 08:44 AM   #507
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nelle Belle
Easy and good. I only do easy.

I just put some fresh basil, roasted peppers, sun dried tomatoes and pulsed together, then mixed in some parm cheese. Spread over bottom of portobello mushrooms, squeezed some sausage from a tube on top. 400* for 20-25 min. Top with mozzarella and back in oven til melted.
Nelle Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:03 AM   #508
Gadget Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybell2 View Post
I'll bet it was delicious! I don't suppose you jotted down the recipe?
Sorry I missed this til now, Lillybell! I didn't see the beginning of what she was doing, but what she told me was in it was freshly-brewed cold coffee, a banana, spinach, ice - I asked about sweetener in it (she had a bottle of agave nectar there ) but she said she hadn't put any in it, that the banana made it sweet enough. Sounds awful but it sure was tasty!
Old 05-17-2013, 09:03 AM   #509
Gadget Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelle Belle View Post
Easy and good. I only do easy.

I just put some fresh basil, roasted peppers, sun dried tomatoes and pulsed together, then mixed in some parm cheese. Spread over bottom of portobello mushrooms, squeezed some sausage from a tube on top. 400* for 20-25 min. Top with mozzarella and back in oven til melted.
That sounds excellent!!
Old 05-17-2013, 09:57 AM   #510
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Char, I make soothies with spinach in it fairly often, if I have fresh spinach. I was hoping you had found out how much she used. I never know how much to put in.
I don't have a Vitamix. Still using my Osterizer from 1970 (maybe early 71)!! My sister gave me her old (and I do mean OLD) vitamix several years ago when she replaced it with a "new" (refurbished I believe) one. (And that was several years ago). It was an old basic. So old, it doesn't even seem to have a model number on it!! But it finally died a few years ago. I think it is in the gear system. The motor still seems to work. Not sure if it is in the base that "died" or the container. It had, if I remember correctly 2 speeds and reverse. Or maybe it was 2 speeds including the reverse. Been a while since I used it.

Maybe someday I'll finally decide I can afford a new Vitamix! But for now my old Oster is doing amazingly well, and has a feature I really hate to give up. I can use it like a "bullet", in that I can screw mason jars of varying sizes (reg mouth) on it, & blend directly in those. I LOVE that feature, and that's the one thing I don't like bout the VitaMix.

Anyway, I do use spinach in smoothies sometimes. They sometimes LOOK Nasty, but taste good. (Chocolate & spinach doesn't look too good when blended. )

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote