Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2012, 04:44 PM   #391
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/120/118-123
WOE: JUDDD
I wonder if anyone tried grinding almonds, does it come out fine-like store bought almond flour. Also, can you make almond butter and does it come out nicy like store bought?
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2012, 12:26 PM   #392
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Brendajm
Stats: 130/122/117
WOE: was atkins, now maintenance
Start Date: march, 2004
When you use the vitamix to make a smoothy does it actually get as smooth as one from a store? I love the WAWA smoothys as they are so well, smooth, not icey,, that is what I would love to be able to do at home, my magic bullet does not do this
Brendajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:55 PM   #393
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Yes. NO chunks of ANYTHING left in it. And if you add a little glucomannan powder too, it won't separate out any liquids, clear to the bottom of the glass!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:13 AM   #394
Major LCF Poster!

Oh dear, I just read your recipe for lowcarb frozen pina coladas,, it is 95 out, if I EVER got out of work today I am making one and getting in my pool, except I dont have coconut milk,, can I use canned coconut milk? what is the ratio for making it, I do have coconut flakes... yum,, I want this so bad..
Old 06-20-2012, 02:08 PM   #395
Gadget Gal

You can use the canned coconut milk - you can thin it with a bit of water if you want. I'd go with 1/2 cup of the canned, 1/4 cup water, a jigger of rum, SF pineapple DV or Torani to taste, and about 8 ice cubes - blend til smoooooth.

I've never put coconut flakes in it. You COULD make a coconut milk first - I'd try it with about 1/2 cup of the flakes, 1/2 cup of water, blend THAT til smoooooooth first, then add the rest of the stuff to it. Maybe a spoonful of VCO too.

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Old 06-28-2012, 11:35 AM   #396
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: WildIrishRose
Stats: 271.5/250.5/140
Start Date: 1/10/10 - again...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
Go chase down that truck, Beth!

It IS frustrating when you know it's so close and you're WAITING PATIENTLY FOR IT (NOT)!!!
Oh my gosh I love my Vitamix, I have used it everyday since I got it!! You could not pry this thing out of my cold dead hands!! It is just wonderful! At some point I would like to try some nut butters too! What a phenomenal kitchen tool!

I have been doing JUDDD so I was making lots of smoothies with lots of fruit, I have decided to go back to low carb so I have to look for some good low carb smoothie recipes now!!

I have made soup in it too, that turned out awesome!!
WildIrishRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 11:48 AM   #397
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sherrymyra
I'm loving mine too. I have made nut butters, ice cream, and almond milk so far.
sherrymyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:45 PM   #398
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: springalong
Stats: 205/180/130
WOE: LFL
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrymyra View Post
I'm loving mine too. I have made nut butters, ice cream, and almond milk so far.
How do you make almond milk?

Oh while Im asking, Ive noticed almond flour - how do you make that too? Anyone know

Almond flour is it just blending up almonds to make it floury
springalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:19 PM   #399
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sherrymyra
The almond milk is easy. I soak 1 1/2 cups of raw almonds in water at least 6 hours. You can do less if you don't have time. Drain. Put in Vitamix along with about 5-6 majoule dates with 5 cups of water. You can add liquid splenda for sweetener if you want. Blend for a couple of minutes or so. Strain through a mesh bag. You will need to squeeze it. Be patient. You can use a paint strainer bag or I use an actual nut strainer bag. Then depending on how thin you want it you may add more water.

If that sounds confusing at all just search YouTube for "making almond milk".

Good luck.

Last edited by sherrymyra; 06-28-2012 at 06:23 PM.. Reason: added something
sherrymyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:15 AM   #400
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nelle Belle
I would love to have a Vitamix But when I look at Vitamix site, eBay and QVC I get totally paralyzed because I don't know what I need. Like buying my first computer and knowing nothing about them...paid too much and had bells and whistles I did not need.
One thing I would like to do is make my own ground meat.

I think I am just going to wait until the Universe drops one in my lap. LOL!

I was talking about wanting one at work and a coworker says he has one his mom gave him that he never uses. From his description it is an old one. I offered to buy it from him. Will see what happens.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:43 AM   #401
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelle Belle View Post
I would love to have a Vitamix But when I look at Vitamix site, eBay and QVC I get totally paralyzed because I don't know what I need. Like buying my first computer and knowing nothing about them...paid too much and had bells and whistles I did not need.

I was talking about wanting one at work and a coworker says he has one his mom gave him that he never uses. From his description it is an old one. I offered to buy it from him. Will see what happens.
For $155 and free shipping on amazon, you can get the Ninja Kitchen System 1100. It has the same power as the Vitamix and a heck of a lot cheaper...there are other ones too, but this one comes with the smaller pitcher and the 70 oz. pitcher and you can't beat that price. It has the little paddles to make whipped cream and make dough, etc. as a bonus. Im planning on ordering one later on myself, I have a few too many toys to play with right now. lol

Last edited by Nigel; 06-29-2012 at 10:45 AM..
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:53 AM   #402
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I already have 2, yes 2 Ninja systems, the original and one from BB&B that was about $60. It doesn't do meat. I would rather not get another Ninja. Thx anyway.
Nelle Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:19 PM   #403
Gadget Gal

Quote:

If you can get it - go for it! My first one was a Maxi 4000 - it had the chromed steel containers, and 2 speeds. It has an "instant reverse" feature that will scare the crap outta you the first time you use it, but man that thing could grind bricks, I'm sure of it! LOL!

I only upgraded because I wanted the Lexan container and the multiple speeds.
Old 06-30-2012, 03:33 AM   #404
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I already have 2, yes 2 Ninja systems, the original and one from BB&B that was about $60. It doesn't do meat. I would rather not get another Ninja. Thx anyway.
I'm not argueing, but you might not realize that the 1100 is totally different than the little ones.

Grinding Meat in the Ninja Blender + Chili Recipe
Old 07-19-2012, 11:23 AM   #405
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fran54
Charski, when I make your frozen berries and crean in the Vitamix it comes out pretty soft(and delicious). Can I put it back in the freezer to harden it up a bit? Thanks
fran54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:29 PM   #406
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Still looking into buying one but I don't know which one.
QVC has one, BB&B has one and to make things more confusing, I saw the Waring Pro on shopnbc. It has a 3.5 hp motor.
Somebody make a decision for me, please?
Old 07-20-2012, 02:42 PM   #407
Gadget Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by fran54 View Post
Charski, when I make your frozen berries and crean in the Vitamix it comes out pretty soft(and delicious). Can I put it back in the freezer to harden it up a bit? Thanks
I have never had any left to freeze but I don't see why not? Just don't let it get TOO frozen or I'm thinking it will be frozen solid. Of course if that happens, just let it sit out 5 to 10 minutes to soften up a bit.

Quote:
QVC has one, BB&B has one and to make things more confusing, I saw the Waring Pro on shopnbc. It has a 3.5 hp motor.
Is there a price difference, or a difference in what they're providing with the blender?

I bought mine refurb from a guy on eBay but it was shipped to me directly from VitaMix. They sell them refurbished on their website too but you have to dig around for them.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:48 PM   #408
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fran54
As always, thanks Charski.
fran54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 05:43 AM   #409
Major LCF Poster!

Charski, I forgot to report back that the pi˝a colada was awesome. My magic bullet did a great with it.
Old 07-21-2012, 06:12 AM   #410
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
I will qvc. It is where I got mine. I bought the first one they featured so mine is the bigger one. I would buy the smaller one if I would have waited. I think it is called the creations 2. I love my VitaMix!! I liked qvc because it was on easy pay--even payments, no interest, and you get the machine before your first credit card payment. You can try it and if you don't like it, you can return it no questions asked. I returned my first machine after the 30 day money back guarantee because the motor didn't smell right after running it. They gave me a new one, no problem. Switched it out immediately. They have great customer service
Old 07-21-2012, 07:11 AM   #411
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnyama View Post
I will qvc. It is where I got mine. I bought the first one they featured so mine is the bigger one. I would buy the smaller one if I would have waited. I think it is called the creations 2. I love my VitaMix!! I liked qvc because it was on easy pay--even payments, no interest, and you get the machine before your first credit card payment. You can try it and if you don't like it, you can return it no questions asked. I returned my first machine after the 30 day money back guarantee because the motor didn't smell right after running it. They gave me a new one, no problem. Switched it out immediately. They have great customer service
Thanks off to QVC
Old 07-21-2012, 07:23 AM   #412
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Thanks off to QVC
Oh, they have colors too! I first got a red one but when I returned the first one I had to settle on receiving a black one--the only color they had available at the time.
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:14 PM   #413
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: galaxies
Hi

I just registered so I can say, "Wow!"

I was looking for a frozen yogurt recipe to make in my Vitamix so imagine my surprise to come upon this great forum.

I am on my 3rd Vitamix. Like Char, I began with the stainless steel container in the late 70's or early 80's. My kids were little then and I used it lots. Then, wanting a newer, refurbished model, I sold it for $100 and bought the new one which I kept and used for seven years. When it was no longer in warranty, I sold it to a friend who offered me $200 and with that, I paid for half of one more new, refurbished one. I've used it for smoothies, almond milk, dressings, sauces, soup, you name it. It's great to find other Vitamix users here.
galaxies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:21 PM   #414
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Charski and anyone else who has used a vitamix for years....how long do the containers last? The plastic ones?
Old 08-04-2012, 10:56 AM   #415
Gadget Gal

Nigel, I've had mine several years now IIRC and they're still in perfect shape. Not sure how long they're gonna last but it looks like a long while.

I have an older one I bought used on eBay to do composting - it's probably one of the original ones, judging by the shape/lid/handle - and it's in good shape too!
Old 08-04-2012, 10:58 AM   #416
Gadget Gal

Hey Galaxies! Welcome aboard - hope you'll stick around and share recipes too!
Old 08-04-2012, 12:22 PM   #417
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
Nigel, I've had mine several years now IIRC and they're still in perfect shape. Not sure how long they're gonna last but it looks like a long while.

I have an older one I bought used on eBay to do composting - it's probably one of the original ones, judging by the shape/lid/handle - and it's in good shape too!
Thanks Char...good to know. I've been looking into getting one...So many choices these days...lol
Old 08-07-2012, 05:48 PM   #418
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

So I ordered from QVC, the smaller container (thanks dawnyama). Got it. Made a green shake, blech. Wondering what I am going to do with it now that I have it.
Came home from work, DH has a huge pot of tomatoes, basil, onions and garlic simmering on the stove to make sauce. I asked him if I cold take some to make soup. Into the VM, more fresh basil, some cream cheese and OMG how awesome. Served with sour cream. Whizzed up the rest of the pot and will be eating tomato basil soup for a few days. We still have sauce from last year in the freezer so the soup is something different.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:12 AM   #419
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: atcgirl42
Love my Vitamix! I've had it for about a month now and I have used it every day.
atcgirl42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:46 PM   #420
Gadget Gal

The VitaMix guy was at Costco today. He had a red one, a silver one, and a black one. Makes me wanna ditch my white one! LOL!

Nah not really but that red one was sure purty.