Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2012, 02:48 PM   #361
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lgpars
Stats: 222/208/130
WOE: AtkinsO
Start Date: Oct. 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
Costco doesn't normally carry it in stock - you have to buy it through their shows they put on there - or at least that's what the guy doing the demo told me!

I've not made the hot soup but I've made my BBQ sauce and "cooked" it right in the blender. Works great.

Santa should be tickled to know what you want!

I have seen them in stock at Costco the last few times I've been there. Did not get the model number though. Don't know if they are going to start keeping them in stock or not. They do have them when they give their live presentations but maybe now they are going to start stocking them.
lgpars is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2012, 02:55 PM   #362
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
That varies so much from region to region too - I know Barbo down south of me here can get a particular brand of marinara that I've never seen in "my" Costco.

I'd sure love it if they DID stock the VM and its accessories though! Will have to look next time I go in!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:24 AM   #363
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Divabunny
Stats: 215/195/160
WOE: Just making better choices
Start Date: 1/2/14
Do many of you use this to actually make HOT soups? or are you just blending and heating on the stove? Does it take awhile to get hot?

Haven't got mine yet, but the ability to make hot soups with it pushed me over the edge
Divabunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:48 PM   #364
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ann Lytle
I have the old original Vita Mix and yes, the soup heats up in it, very nice. I used to make soup in it all the time for the day care kids. They got a big kick out it and liked the soup as well, their favorite was tomato............................... Ann
Ann Lytle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:58 PM   #365
Gadget Gal

I HAVE heated soup in it but it's a noisy machine, so generally I'll pour it into a microwave-save bowl and heat it THAT way. Less noise and a little faster, usually.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:17 PM   #366
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: millergirl1976
Stats: 166.6/146.8/135<- 28in waist
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Restart. 3/31/14
It also goes more quickly if you start w/ hot liquid ingredients. Char is right- it is noisy. But, it works just like the demos.
millergirl1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:17 PM   #367
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
bumping because it was on qvc again!!! Love my VitaMix.
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:32 PM   #368
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: missdoc77
What size container?

Ok, Vitamix lovers... I've been thinking of buying one for a long time and finally going to make the investment! Question for those of you who have owned one for awhile... is the larger, 64oz container worth dealing with it's size?? I know they now have the smaller 48oz that will fit under standard cabinetry in the kitchen. If I'm going to be using this thing all the time I certainly don't want to get it in and out of a cabinet. But will I regret having the smaller capacity???

ALSO, many of you talk about making flours, etc. Do you have to have the seperate dry goods container for that or can you do it all in the "wet blade" container? What's the difference?

Thanks!
missdoc77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:51 PM   #369

missdoc--I have the 64 oz container and I don't use that capacity enough to warrant it. I have a large family of 6, and think the 48 oz would suit us just fine. I use my VitaMix mostly for my own shakes and uses. That being said, I am glad I have the larger jar, but would have much preferred a smaller fit under the counter VitaMix. Right now my huge, heavy VitaMix is in the dining room on top of my media cabinet. It is inconvenient to get to, but of so worth it!!!
Old 05-08-2012, 08:24 PM   #370
Gadget Gal

I got mine with the 64 oz. container, then bought the 32 oz one (I think that's it anyway!) at Costco when they had a VitaMix road show. I use the smaller one MUCH more often than the larger one - BUT I'm glad I have the larger one for times when I need it.

As for grinding stuff - my old VM had both containers, the "wet" blade and the "dry" blade ones. With the purchase of the new VM, I just got the "normal" container and trust me, it grinds stuff up just fine! I do flax seeds and coffee beans without a problem, and I grind popcorn kernels down into corn flour without a hitch. I can also grind soaked dried chiles into a thick luscious paste, and do my own toasted spice rub (from whole seeds) with ease. So, I'd not bother paying the extra $$ for the "dry" blade at this point.

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Old 05-09-2012, 01:37 PM   #371
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MargD
Stats: 134/119/115 (Orig. 180)
WOE: Pescatarian/LC/4:3
Start Date: May, 2011
Quote:
I got mine with the 64 oz. container, then bought the 32 oz one (I think that's it anyway!) at Costco when they had a VitaMix road show. I use the smaller one MUCH more often than the larger one - BUT I'm glad I have the larger one for times when I need it.
I did exactly the same thing. I have had my 32 oz container since early December and it is all I have used since then.
MargD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:37 AM   #372
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Nikki2777
I've only had my Vitamix since last October, but I immediately ordered the 32 oz. container from Vitamix Company. That is the only one I use and it fits perfectly on the counter.

Nikki
Nikki2777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 02:06 PM   #373
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: NewSabrina
After reading this thread I'm seriously thinking I need to start saving for a VM! Enablers!!
NewSabrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 02:27 PM   #374
Gadget Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewSabrina View Post
After reading this thread I'm seriously thinking I need to start saving for a VM! Enablers!!
I readily admit - I AM an enabler when it comes to quality kitchen tools!
Old 05-16-2012, 09:32 PM   #375
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sherrymyra
I ordered mine yesterday. Can't wait.
sherrymyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:24 AM   #376
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: fourstubbs
Stats: 225/220/142.3/135
WOE: IDEAL PROTEIN
Start Date: Restart July 2012
Quote:
I readily admit - I AM an enabler when it comes to quality kitchen tools!
So your finally admitting this?

I have the larger container, maybe someday I will get the smaller one, it will fit under the counter as one unit. Right now I place the larger container right next to the machine. I love my VM.
fourstubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:38 AM   #377
Gadget Gal

Oh heck - I've been admitting that for YEARS! Ask any number of happy VM owners around here....
Old 06-03-2012, 06:14 PM   #378
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sweet irony
Stats: 335/290/160 --5'8½"
WOE: <50g carbs a day/grain free
Start Date: August '10
A few years ago someone I knew made this fantastic chocolate pudding for me in his Vitamix. It had eggs in it, so I guess it was really a custard. He cooked it right in the Vitamix holding a thermometer in it until it was the 'perfect' temperature. I asked where he learned to make it and he said the recipe was right in his original Vitamix cookbook.

Well yesterday was my birthday and my family shocked me half to death and got me a Vitamix!!

The custard recipe isn't in the new cookbook. I have SCOURED the web searching under every set of words I can imagine and all I can find is chocolate pudding made with avocados in the Vitamix. While that sounds great, I really want to find that original recipe with eggs.

Do any of you who own (or owned) one of the old 4000 models still have the cookbook that came with it? Does anyone remember anything about a chocolate pudding recipe with eggs that you cook in the Vitamix?
sweet irony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:02 PM   #379
Gadget Gal

I had the 4000 but sold the book with the 4000 when I upgraded!

However, I found this:

This is a modified version of the Vita-Mix Cookbook pudding recipe

2 cups steaming milk
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup sugar
5 Tbs flour
1 egg (room temp)
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp butter
2 Tbs good quality cocoa powder
1 "mix in" piece of chocolate (about 1 oz - any flavor you like - I prefer bittersweet but have fun and mix it up)

Place hot milk, salt and sugar in Vita-Mix container. Secure lid. Select Variable speed #1. Turn machine on and quickly increase speed to #10, then to high. Allow machine to run for 2 minutes. Remover lid plug and add flour, cocoa powder, and chocolate through opening. Replace plug and allow machine to run until mixture settles down and appears to be thickening - about 30 seconds. Drop egg in and run for 1 minute longer. Add butter and vanilla. Stop machine and pour into large bowl or custard cups. Chill and serve.

Obviously, this would need some tweaking for LC but I think it's do-able!
Old 06-03-2012, 07:22 PM   #380
Senior LCF Member

Bless your soul Charski!! I had a feeling you'd be the one who came through for me.

I somehow remember his recipe had more eggs in it which is why I thought it would be so good for low carb, but this seems like a great recipe to start with. I wonder how important the flour is? Maybe a ¼ teaspoon of xanthan gum instead?

Anyway, thanks again Charski!
Old 06-03-2012, 08:16 PM   #381

Sweet irony

What a great surprise You know your family loves you if you got that great of a gift!!!
Old 06-03-2012, 08:35 PM   #382
Gadget Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet irony View Post
Bless your soul Charski!! I had a feeling you'd be the one who came through for me.

I somehow remember his recipe had more eggs in it which is why I thought it would be so good for low carb, but this seems like a great recipe to start with. I wonder how important the flour is? Maybe a ¼ teaspoon of xanthan gum instead?

Anyway, thanks again Charski!
Aww, you're so sweet!

I'd ditch the flour altogether and add another egg, or maybe 1 whole egg and 2 egg yolks total. Of course, your sweetener of choice, and half & half, or half water/half cream, or coconut milk - whatever you like.

Sounds like fun - I might have to try it myself!

You'll LOVE that VitaMix - I know you will. Your family is the BEST!
Old 06-03-2012, 08:38 PM   #383
Gadget Gal

OR - just try THIS:

RIDICULOUSLY EASY pots de creme!

This was posted by Stephdray on LCF, I tweaked it up so this is my tweaked version!

7 oz. dark chocolate, chopped fine (I used Trader Joe's 70% dark) (second time used Cadbury's Royal Dark)
2 eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla
pinch of sea salt
1 oz. heavy cream
3 oz. unsweetened chocolate almond milk
1 tablespoon SF honey

Put the chopped chocolate, eggs, vanilla, and sea salt in the blender and blend til pretty smooth.

Meanwhile heat the liquids in a 2 cup glass pyrex measure in the microwave til boiling - watch it or it will boil over!

While the blender is running, pour the boiling liquid into the chocolate/egg mixture. Continue to blend til very smooth. Pour into 6 cups and chill. Cover with plastic wrap when chilled.

I used small ceramic custard cups.

The darker the chocolate, the less carbs, BUT it may get pretty bitter so I'm thinking if you subbed out an ounce of the water and used a DV or Torani SF syrup instead in a complementary flavor, you'd get sweet AND more yum! Possibilities - kahlua, amaretto, chocolate, coffee...whatever you think sounds good.

Honestly this stuff is SO good that you'll swooooon.........
Old 06-06-2012, 09:53 AM   #384
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RVcook
Stats: 153/143/125
WOE: 40/30/30
Start Date: 8/2012
I have the old 1971 VitaMix cookbook that has several custard and pudding recipes in it and NO flour (or starch). Here are two that sound like what you're looking for:

Basic Custard
Vitamix:
2 large eggs (or 4 egg yolks)
1/3 C. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
Immediately add, while running:
2 C. scalded milk
Nutmeg and/or vanilla

Pour into custard cups or a casserole set in a pan of hot water. Sprinkle a little nutmeg on and bake 350 until knife tests clean.

For molded custard, use 3 eggs or 6 yolks. Put into buttered molds. Unmold onto serving dish.

Soft Custard

Put in Vitamix and turn on:
2 eggs or 4 yolks

Immediately add while running:
1 1/2 C. scalded milk
1/4 C. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla

Cook in double boiler with water in bottom simmering, stirring constantly. When custard coats a spoon, remove from heat. Vitamix a few seconds. Serve warm or cool.

When life happens, sometimes you NEED 'Plan C'...
RVcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:00 PM   #385
Senior LCF Member

OMG you guys. Thanks so much. I'm going to try all of these recipes and see which comes closest to what my friend used to make for me.

Costco was slow in shipping the machine so it looks like it will FINALLY be here tomorrow. I may not eat any solid food at all this weekend with all the experimenting I'm going to do.

Besides the custards and puddings, (I'll be using my famous mixture of Truvia and xylitol as the sweetener) I'm so excited to make a good cauliflower bisque, cream of broccoli soup, and, at some point, even a cream of tomato soup.

It must also be said, I simply can NOT wait to make a really good, actually healthy ice cream. One with healthier sweeteners and no artificial ingredients.

Thanks again you guys! I feel like I'm entering the healthiest cult on Earth with this Vita Mix thing.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:20 AM   #386
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: WildIrishRose
Stats: 271.5/250.5/140
Start Date: 1/10/10 - again...
Hi all,

I have been on the fence about buying a Vitamix after seeing the demo at Wegmans! I have read through the entire thread and you guys have convinced me I need one!

I went a head and ordered one on Monday.....Now I just cannot wait for it to arrive!!

Thank you all for the information in this thread it really helped me decide that I needed to have one of these wonderful machines!!

Thanks again,

Beth
WildIrishRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:27 PM   #387
Gadget Gal

Beth, I don't think you'll EVER regret your purchase!

>>>>>>So says Char, Queen of Purchase Enabling and VitaMix Aficionado Extraordinaire! <<<<<<

OH and while you await delivery - I highly recommend going on the VM website and going through their huge recipe archives. Some really good stuff there!
Old 06-15-2012, 10:09 AM   #388
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: WildIrishRose
Stats: 271.5/250.5/140
Start Date: 1/10/10 - again...
Oh Charski, Thank you! I love the web site there are some great recipes!! I cannot wait to try some of them!!

I will let you know what I think once I finally recieve it! According to the tracking information it is in Shrewsbury which is only a few towns away.....it's so frustrating though, the tracking info on the UPS site has not been updated since yesterday!! Currently it is scheduled for delivery on 6/19, I can't quite imagine why it would take 4 days to get two towns over.....I'm hoping it may arrive sooner!!
Old 06-15-2012, 10:15 AM   #389
Gadget Gal

Go chase down that truck, Beth!

It IS frustrating when you know it's so close and you're WAITING PATIENTLY FOR IT (NOT)!!!
Old 06-15-2012, 05:32 PM   #390
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sherrymyra
You will love it. I'v had mine now for a two or three weeks. Try to be patient. I was almost waiting on the step for mine.
sherrymyra is offline   Reply With Quote