Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   VitaMix HEAVEN! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/525873-vitamix-heaven.html)

Salamander 09-26-2011 09:40 AM

Where are all the Vitamix people? :jumpjoy::hiya:

I use mine daily. Yesterday, I made the Bacon Cheddar Potato soup. The only thing is, their recipes are all low fat so I had to change it to be richer! For dessert I whipped up a Pomegranate Blueberry Sorbet.

Charski 09-26-2011 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salamander (Post 15036297)

I'm still here! :hiya: I just made creamy green chile soup - man that stuff is so good!

LOVE my Vitamix still.

Brendajm 09-26-2011 11:17 AM

I just got some already cut up and cubed butternut squash at the store,does anyone have a good soup recipe??

rosethorns 09-26-2011 11:37 AM

Charski has a really good recipe for the butternut squash. I think it's on here somewhere.
You go Mary I make my almond milk all the time. I'm getting ready to try coconut milk.

rosethorns 09-26-2011 11:46 AM

Brenda try the link on page 11 . I just started looking at it and there were some great sounding soup recipes there.

Charski 09-26-2011 11:54 AM

This is the link to my soup:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...uash-soup.html

I use an immersion blender but you could certainly do it in the Vitamix without a problem!

Brendajm 09-26-2011 12:15 PM

Got it , YUM< I too have an immersion blender and will use that.. thanks so much

Kaimi2008 09-26-2011 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salamander (Post 15036297)

I use mine daily. Yesterday, I made the Bacon Cheddar Potato soup. The only thing is, their recipes are all low fat so I had to change it to be richer! For dessert I whipped up a Pomegranate Blueberry Sorbet.

I'm here...and if i have to drink ONE more green shake of something lord knows what's inside of it..:laugh:...:sick: :p i'm gonna be :sick: :lol: ;) spinach and peach smoothie. :sick: what the world? ;) dh love his machine tho - :love: btw, I'd rather have my green shakeology. :o ;)

i'm in love w/ thai pumpkin soup. :love: :heart:

iwant2bfit 09-27-2011 12:00 AM

just ordered mine

QVC has the smaller 48 oz one on 5 payments with free shipping so I bought one in black. :jumpjoy:
I also got the dry container as I do grind alot of grains now with my kitchenaid FP although the almond flour ends up being more of an almond meal. The dry container is supposed to keep the flour from getting hot as it's pushed up away from the blades. I was hoping they would have one on easy pay today as they have a show this morning. The larger model was on 3 payments but is on waitlist. I know it's alot of money but I also know I'll use it. I work long hours 3 nights a week. My husband works days so I usually buy & cook in bulk on my days off & freeze. I have a sister that also LC. I thought about getting her one & saving it for xmas. She's single and this would be well out of her budget. Does anyone have the 48 oz container & does it suit your needs? I'm kicking myself for not buying it in August. I saw a minute or two of the presentation that morning after a 14 hour shift. I told myself there is no way I'm paying that much for a blender! I went to bed to prepare for another 14 hr shift and never gave it another thought until I started reading the threads on here about it recently. I researched it, watched youtube videos the last 2 days. I get "it" now. I cannot wait to get mine!!!

Charski 09-27-2011 09:57 AM

Yeah, calling a Vitamix a blender is like calling an FA-18 jet an airplane - it IS an airplane but nothing like a Piper Cub! LOL!

Salamander 09-27-2011 08:49 PM

iwant, that is the machine I have! I got it a few weeks ago when it was the TSV. The 48 oz is great for me, since there's only 2 of us at home.

I DVRd QVCs hour of vitamix today and watched after work... how dorky am I??? :p I feel it helps me learn. Jan Muller made up his own recipe for a pumpkin mousse- whipping cream, pumpkin, spices.

Tonight's dinner: smoothie with mango, blackberries, spinach, broccoli and 1/2 apple! :love:

iwant2bfit 09-27-2011 09:22 PM

There is only 2 of us at home too so I think it'll work out great. I do tend to make large batches of things & freeze. If I ever need a larger container, I'll hunt down a roadshow to buy one. There is one an hour & a half away at whole foods in October....Does anyone know if whole foods prices are cheaper than the website? just curious as with costco & sams there is a membership involved. I did end up getting my sister one for Christmas. Now I just need to either hide mine when she visits me or downplay how great it is so she doesn't end up hocking something to buy it!

iwant2bfit 09-27-2011 09:26 PM

Salamander, do you know if the pumpkin mousse recipe is in the cookbook? I watched the presentation this morning with one eyes opn as I didn't get to bed until 5 AM. Needless to say, I didn't write it down but it looked great. I'm craving pumpkin not to mention I have about 19 cans of pumpkin puree in my pantry.

Charski 09-28-2011 12:12 AM

I've never seen a Vitamix for sale at "my" Costco. I think they do food demos, probably for organic produce and smoothies and such, but don't know if they'll actually be selling the Vitamix?

Kaimi2008 09-28-2011 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charski (Post 15041853)
I've never seen a Vitamix for sale at "my" Costco. I think they do food demos, probably for organic produce and smoothies and such, but don't know if they'll actually be selling the Vitamix?

they sold the vitamix right there on the spot. $399.99 bucks. w/o tax. :p :o

well, u did have to carry it over to the cashier at the exchange. ;)

Charski 09-28-2011 09:56 AM

That was a brain fart - I know that the roadshows at Costco have them - I meant Whole Foods, per iwant2bfit's post above. DOH!

Salamander 09-28-2011 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iwant2bfit (Post 15041691)
Salamander, do you know if the pumpkin mousse recipe is in the cookbook? I watched the presentation this morning with one eyes opn as I didn't get to bed until 5 AM. Needless to say, I didn't write it down but it looked great. I'm craving pumpkin not to mention I have about 19 cans of pumpkin puree in my pantry.

Not in the cookbook. It's on QVCs site- find the product page and go to the "recipes" tab. :sing:

Nikki2777 09-28-2011 05:53 PM

Could someone give me a basic recipe for a protein drink or smoothie using fresh cranberries? I just got two bags today and am anxious to to try and use them.

What would I use for the liquid? Would/could I use a basic strawberry protein shake and replace the strawberries with cranberries?

Would the Vitamix grind the cranberries & water down to make a liquid?

Thanks much.

Nikki

vli1127 09-28-2011 06:17 PM

When I clicked on recipes, pumpkin mousse wasn't there, only chocolate.

Charski 09-28-2011 08:06 PM

Nikki, I make my own cranberry juice, but not in the Vitamix. I mix the berries with water and nuke til the berries pop, let steep, then strain out - I have the recipe on here someplace, let me find it and I can link it for you.

Charski 09-28-2011 08:07 PM

Here it is:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...rry-juice.html

I'm sure you could use whole berries in a protein shake and liquefy them in the Vitamix but you'd probably have to use a good deal of sweetener, as cranberries are pretty tart!

christyjo 09-28-2011 08:50 PM

Looking enviously at the Vitamix. I have a regular old Oster blender that I keep on the counter top in my relatively small kitchen. I use the thing most often for the chopper bowl that fits on it to chop onions etc. I watched the short "buy me" vids on QVC and saw that it chops as well as blends, liquifies, etc. Will it replace my little chopper bowl? If it does, it goes on my Christmas list, I think the compact model will just fit under my cabinets by a skitch. I have so many toys, so little room on my counter top! I got rid of at least two food processors because they were bulky and difficult to clean.

christyjo

Charski 09-29-2011 12:08 AM

It will chop, but it does it a little differently - you fill up the blender with what you want to chop to about halfway, then fill it with water, then chop, then pour off the water. It actually works amazingly well! You do crushed ice the same way and I was really surprised at what a great job it did.

Nikki2777 09-30-2011 01:48 AM

Charski,
This sounds wonderful... I get juice and cranberry jam!

A week ago I put 1/4 cup light Cranberry Juice, 1 orange and something else in the Vitamix. It was really good. Tart and sweet. Still amazed about the power of the Vitamix.

Thanks again for the Homemade Cranberry Juice thread.

Nikki

Nikki

springalong 11-04-2011 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nikki2777 (Post 15047733)
Charski,
This sounds wonderful... I get juice and cranberry jam!

A week ago I put 1/4 cup light Cranberry Juice, 1 orange and something else in the Vitamix. It was really good. Tart and sweet. Still amazed about the power of the Vitamix.

Thanks again for the Homemade Cranberry Juice thread.

Nikki

Nikki

Ive done that before its soooo good :yummy: I experiment with a lot of different juices.

However, does anyone have a good mock pina colada recipe? Something extremely basic would be my preference.

Charski 11-04-2011 12:10 PM

For Pina Colada, I use coconut milk, DaVinci SF Pineapple syrup, and rum, all to taste, plus ice - throw it all in the VM and let 'er rip!

iwant2bfit 11-06-2011 06:03 PM

I don't get a chance to post often but I'm loving my vitamix! My DH & I have a green smoothie every morning. I've made almond milk & some ice cream as well. I've tried some chocolate ones that I found on youtube that were good but trying to reduce carb counts as they used frozen banana, mango. They also used dates for sweetener. Tonight I made some chocolate ice cream using 1.5 C unsweetened blackberries, 1/2 HWC, 10 drops ez sweetz and about 3 T cacao powder. It was really good. Not sure about the carb counts though. I had thought about trying to purree a banana with some almond milk and adding cacao to that then freeze in ice cube trays. Use the cubes with ez sweetz and HWC to make ice cream. The reason for the banana is that it helps with creaminess which is why alot of smoothies use them. I tried ice cubes in ice cream recipes. They are more like slushies which is fine sometimes but I really want a texture close to ice cream. For ice cream, there is a 3 to 1 ratio of frozen to liquid. Has anyone else tried a chocolate ice cream recipe they can share?

iwant2bfit 11-08-2011 10:16 AM

I just stumbled across a vitamix ice cream recipe that uses frozen avocado instead of fruit. It also calls for guar & xantham gums, cocoa powder, almond milk or coconut milk, vanilla ice cubes and cinnamon (if desired). I haven't tried it yet but the recipe can be found on heathereatsalmondbutter.com It looks really good!

Divabunny 01-14-2012 11:26 PM

Subbing just bought one from QVC tonight! TSV!!

dawnyama 01-15-2012 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Divabunny (Post 15329102)
Subbing just bought one from QVC tonight! TSV!!

Yeah!! You are going to love it!!