Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2011, 12:38 PM   #301
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sibylle
Stats: 170/150/120
WOE: HF/VLC
Start Date: February 2011
Snickers Ice Cream

Ok, I am not a great cook. But here's a recipe I came up with today that IMHO comes to something that is very close to snickers ice cream.

All you need is a VM or another high-potency mixer. Place the following ingredients into it:

2 heaping scoops Protein Powder (I used Optimum Whey Cookies n" Cream)
3-4 cups Half and Half
3-4 Tbsp. Splenda
2 squares unsweetened Baker's Chocolate
3-4 Tbs. Heavy Whipping Cream
1.5 measuring scoop Guar Gum
about 20 ice cubes
1-2 oz. roasted salty peanuts

Mix everything except the ice cubes on high speed until it has a creamy texture. This is necessary fo the guar gum to develop its potential as a thickening agent. Then add the ice cubes and mix at high speed until the mixture is like soft ice cream. Finally add the peanuts to the mixture and freeze until the desired texture is reached. I found 15 minutes enough time.

Enjoy!
Sibylle is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2011, 12:47 PM   #302
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: fourstubbs
Stats: 225/220/142.3/135
WOE: IDEAL PROTEIN
Start Date: Restart July 2012
yum! Plan on making this today then, thank you!!!!!

This is good... I used cocoa powder though and forgot the guar gum...I am drinking it as a shake and it tastes just like snickers! (I added a little peanut butter too).....

Last edited by fourstubbs; 08-21-2011 at 01:12 PM..
fourstubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 01:16 PM   #303
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sibylle
Stats: 170/150/120
WOE: HF/VLC
Start Date: February 2011
Snickers Ice Cream

Glad you enjoyed and thank you very much for the tip to add a little peanut butter. I am certain, it will improve the taste greatly.
Sibylle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:08 AM   #304
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Nicole T
Stats: 193/189/170
WOE: hCG/Paleo
Start Date: 10/7/13
SO excited to get my Vitamix once I reach goal as my prize to myself
Nicole T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 12:45 PM   #305
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sligh
Stats: 190/118/145
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 31, 2003
I always make some kind of cucumber/dill sauce to serve over grilled salmon, but last night I made the Creamy Provencale Basil Sauce from the Vitamix cookbook. It was so fabulous that I may never make cucumber/dill sauce again. Here it is in case you don't have the book.

Creamy Provencale Basil Sauce

2 tablespoons heavy cream
3 ounces cream cheese
1/2 roma tomato
1 garlic clove, peeled
9 basil leaves, freshly ground
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Place ingredients, expecpt salt and pepper, into the Vitamix in the order listed and secure lid.

Select Variable 1. Turn machine on and quickly increase speed to Variable 10and then to High.

Blend for 30 seconds, using the tamper to press the ingredients into the blades.

Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Yield: 1 cup
sligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 09:59 AM   #306
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
For anyone who wants one, it is a Today's Special Value on the Q If I didn't already have one, I would buy one TODAY!!! This one featured today is the one that fits under the counter (mine doesn't and is a pain to store) and comes with a set of spatulas

Last edited by dawnyama; 08-28-2011 at 10:00 AM..
dawnyama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:41 AM   #307
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: crenita
I am waiting for my NEW Vitamix.. ordered from QVC and have been having qualms re spending that much for a blender... Saw that it is in the shipping process.. hoping I didn't make big $$$ mistake ...
crenita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:58 PM   #308
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Nicole T
Stats: 193/189/170
WOE: hCG/Paleo
Start Date: 10/7/13
Crenita--I am in the process of deciding whether to get one or not and I have to say that out of all the message boards, natural food groups and other groups I am a member on and asked people's opinions, NOT ONE PERSON said "don't do it". That HAS to mean something
Nicole T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 02:25 PM   #309
Junior LCF Member

Thanks Nicole...that helped.!
Old 08-30-2011, 02:56 PM   #310

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by crenita View Post
I am waiting for my NEW Vitamix.. ordered from QVC and have been having qualms re spending that much for a blender... Saw that it is in the shipping process.. hoping I didn't make big $$$ mistake ...
q v c really stands by their products too. If you don't like it, even after the 30 day period, you can return it and get your money back. They took mine back and exchanged it, and that was about 4 months after I got it. They were going to refund my money because they did not have the color I wanted in stock, but I told them I would take anything they had because I just wanted one that worked And it is not "just a blender", my dear it is way more than that!! You will not be sorry
Old 08-31-2011, 06:29 AM   #311
Junior LCF Member

Good to know Dawn Thanks .. just nervous about the amount vs USE...I love kitchen gadgets but sadely more end up in the garage than in the kitchen.....

Does anyone have the Demo receipe for Spinach Soup with Ricotta Cheese Dumplings ??? I saw this listed in a cookbook for sale on ebay
Old 08-31-2011, 12:19 PM   #312
Major LCF Poster!

I am a new vitamix owner...and since I have gotten it, we have used it every day!!! It is so easy to make a quick drink, hot or cold.. ice cream etc. I really like mine...I think you will too...
Old 08-31-2011, 02:02 PM   #313
Junior LCF Member

Is there anything that can be added to the ice cream/ frozen yogurt so that you can freeze it ??
I am the only one that needs to limit carbs..
Old 08-31-2011, 02:44 PM   #314
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
I don't know of anything. But you can make it as small as 2 servings. If you have a kid around they will eat anything.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 04:49 AM   #315
Junior LCF Member

other than a fruit SMOOTHIE,what other recipe should one of my first Test Run be to get a good idea of the wonders of this gizmo ????
Old 09-01-2011, 06:00 AM   #316
Junior LCF Member

found this link .It is a very organized list of the soup recipes.. for those like me that need all the help we can get.VitaMix Recipes: VitaMix Soup- Overview to 57 VitaMix Soup Recipes
Old 09-08-2011, 01:16 PM   #317
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: springalong
Stats: 205/180/130
WOE: LFL
FYI I pressed on like for VitaMix on FB and wow!!! Great info including recipes that pop up!!!
springalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 04:58 PM   #318
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Nikki2777
crenita,

Thanks for the link... marked it in my folder for Vitamix soup recipes.

I got my Vitamix couple days ago. Oh My Gosh, I'm overwhelmed!! That is a big unit, it is bigger than my C/Food Processor!

After watching the DVD and reading the recipes for beginners in the Cook Book, I made an Orange Drink (cup of ice cubes and 1 orange) and this morning I made my usual Chocolate Protein Shake. Both were very good. In fact, exceptionally good.

Nikki
Nikki2777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:45 AM   #319
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Vanessa120
Stats: 189/130 size 2-4 5'4"
WOE: Low Carb Real Food
Start Date: Low Carb Since 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by crenita View Post
Is there anything that can be added to the ice cream/ frozen yogurt so that you can freeze it ??
I am the only one that needs to limit carbs..
I would try adding glycerine. You can find it in the baking section at JoAnn's and/or Michael's. The brand I use is Wilton. I have used it with success in ice cream to make it scoopable for days. Amount is going to vary depending on how much frozen yogurt you are making.
Vanessa120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:50 AM   #320
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Salamander
Stats: 5'0"- 43
WOE: Stillmans
Start Date: Feb 08
My Creations Vitamix from QVC arrived last week. So excited! So far I've only made a couple milkshakes and smoothies. So far, so GREAT!!!

I'm interested in trying the coconut milk recipe... has anyone done that? It's so expensive (the milk in cans) so I figured I could order a couple bags of Bob's Red Mill coconut flakes and make it whenever... It's my new obsession- coconut milk in a 'cereal' of nuts/flaxseed/berries.
Salamander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 11:27 AM   #321
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamander View Post
My Creations Vitamix from QVC arrived last week. So excited! So far I've only made a couple milkshakes and smoothies. So far, so GREAT!!!

I'm interested in trying the coconut milk recipe... has anyone done that? It's so expensive (the milk in cans) so I figured I could order a couple bags of Bob's Red Mill coconut flakes and make it whenever... It's my new obsession- coconut milk in a 'cereal' of nuts/flaxseed/berries.
Hi Salamander: I just made the almond milk last night! I haven't tried the coconut milk but I was so impressed with the almond milk that I am sure you will love the coconut. Did your vitamix come with a cookbook?
Old 09-12-2011, 04:34 PM   #322
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourstubbs View Post
Hi Salamander: I just made the almond milk last night! I haven't tried the coconut milk but I was so impressed with the almond milk that I am sure you will love the coconut. Did your vitamix come with a cookbook?
Yes I got a great cookbook and that's where the recipe is. I was just wondering if anyone had feedback because I googled and some people say that you should soak the coconut before blending... that's not specific to Vitamix though. Did you do the almond milk per their recipe?
Old 09-12-2011, 04:42 PM   #323
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Yes I got a great cookbook and that's where the recipe is. I was just wondering if anyone had feedback because I googled and some people say that you should soak the coconut before blending... that's not specific to Vitamix though. Did you do the almond milk per their recipe?
I just put some almond meal in it and some water...and blended...I have a habit of not using recipes...which don't always work out! The vitamix blends extremely well, so there was just very little grit in it...I haven't had commercial almond milk though, but what I had was very tasty...I should try coconut milk too...hmmm maybe tonight..
Old 09-12-2011, 04:49 PM   #324
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
I am glad I found this thread. I have had a Vita Mix for about a year now and it sits on a cart along with my Gevalia coffee maker because neither one fits under my cupboards. I haven't gone beyond making smoothies with my Vita Mix, so I need to expand my horizon.
vli1127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:48 PM   #325
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Made some this afternoon...It was fine, I didn't soak it...around the edges of the cup where I poured it has some grit...hope this helps. I used it to make a shake, what a money saver the vitamix is!
Old 09-12-2011, 06:51 PM   #326
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vli1127 View Post
I am glad I found this thread. I have had a Vita Mix for about a year now and it sits on a cart along with my Gevalia coffee maker because neither one fits under my cupboards. I haven't gone beyond making smoothies with my Vita Mix, so I need to expand my horizon.
I've been using mine for protein pudding and shakes. Now the milks. I've even made soup out of it. DH likes the machine too. Too bad I waiting so long to get one!
Old 09-14-2011, 09:28 AM   #327
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Made some this afternoon...It was fine, I didn't soak it...around the edges of the cup where I poured it has some grit...hope this helps. I used it to make a shake, what a money saver the vitamix is!
stubbs, thanks! I have my Bob's unsweetened coconut and will try this very soon!

I haven't been following the recipes for smoothies 100%, as I don't want all the fruit carbs and I like to experiment with my own combos.

I've been having a protein smoothie for dinner the last few nights (in place of solid food)... and I've lost a couple lbs and feel really good! I have a huge bag of baby spinach so I always put a couple handfuls in so I'm sure I'm getting lots of vitamins and iron.
Old 09-18-2011, 05:44 AM   #328

Gallery: Kaimi2008
Stats: 197.2/181.0/155 (for now) 5'6"
WOE: Diet To Go
Start Date: November 1, 2013
Dh just bought a vitamix last night.
Going too subscribe to this thread for some recipes OTHER than what's in the book that came w/ it.
Kaimi2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 11:43 AM   #329
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Quote:
I just put some almond meal in it and some water...and blended...I have a habit of not using recipes...which don't always work out! The vitamix blends extremely well, so there was just very little grit in it...I haven't had commercial almond milk though, but what I had was very tasty...I should try coconut milk too...hmmm maybe tonight..
It comes out better if you use almond butter and water and blend it all up, more like almond milk.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 07:14 PM   #330
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaimi2008 View Post
Dh just bought a vitamix last night.
Going too subscribe to this thread for some recipes OTHER than what's in the book that came w/ it.

YAY Kaimi!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
It comes out better if you use almond butter and water and blend it all up, more like almond milk.
Nigel, thanks for that, it sounds as if it is a great idea...I just have a whole lot of almond flour here. I guess I could make my own almond butter too. It would be a much smoother consistency for sure.