Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2011, 11:28 AM   #271
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Mary - my foot is on your butt, girl.

BTW I know it's meant to be - I just came back from Costco and the Vitamix man was there doing demos!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2011, 11:33 AM   #272
Plastic Wrap Ninja

Gallery: BigBravesGirl
Stats: 397 / 336.2 / 2??
WOE: Biggest Loser Challenge
Start Date: Feb 8, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
BTW I know it's meant to be - I just came back from Costco and the Vitamix man was there doing demos!
Well, why didn't you buy us one? You could bring them when we go to Mary's house.
BigBravesGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:39 PM   #273
Gadget Gal

I'll go back and get them! Just send me your credit card info....
Old 07-29-2011, 02:22 PM   #274
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: fourstubbs
Stats: 225/220/142.3/135
WOE: IDEAL PROTEIN
Start Date: Restart July 2012
Quote:
I'll go back and get them! Just send me your credit card info....
LOL

Yeah, I asked dh, who popped in from work real quick...he said, um, um, um...when we get our bills paid off!!!! Not exactly what I was hoping for!!!
fourstubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 02:55 PM   #275
Gadget Gal

NOOOOOOOO that's not right, Mary! Tell him you NEEEEEED one and make a sad face with your lower lip stuck WAAAAAY out there. Tell him how much money it will SAVE to have one! Homemade ice cream real easy, homemade delicious nutritious soups and protein shakes, grind your own flax meal, make almond and coconut milk - then make the sad face again. I'm sure it will work!
Old 07-29-2011, 05:04 PM   #276
Major LCF Poster!

I am working on my pouty lip as we speak! I will throw in a tear or two also.
LOL.. He just got home...I will let you know if I get anywhere.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:28 PM   #277
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cats for Texas
Stats: 210
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart: December 3, 2012
marking. Love my VM. I make the Contessa's Bernaise sauce in it -- no cooking, the very hot butter does the cooking of the eggs. Soups are also good.
Cats for Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:04 AM   #278
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: millergirl1976
Stats: 166.6/155.4/135<- 28in waist
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Restart. 3/31/14
So I have been searching high and low for almond flour locally, and cannot find it. But, I am wondering if I could make it in my VM. Has anyone done this with any luck?
millergirl1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 06:32 PM   #279
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by millergirl1976 View Post
So I have been searching high and low for almond flour locally, and cannot find it. But, I am wondering if I could make it in my VM. Has anyone done this with any luck?
Millergirl: Char has told me that yes you can grind your own almond flour, just be careful because it can quickly turn to almond butter.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:37 PM   #280
Major LCF Poster!

Char: I FINALLY GOT MY VITAMIX!!!!!! I am so excited, we have been wanting one for YEARS! The roadshow just so happened to be at Sam's, dh said it was absolutely fine to get it early...sort of a Christmas present! We just got the machine, and hopefully in Feb. I can get the 32 oz container! I am just so excited. We were asking him all sorts of questions, he even made me ice cream out of it, and it was so good. Dh was loving all of the samples. The machine is a beast...it makes its presence known, doesn't it?

Carbs is the "gasoline" that causes the diabetes flame to burn higher and hotter.... common sense from Dr. Bernsteins website
RIP annagm 1956-2012 My Sweet Sister
Old 08-07-2011, 06:55 PM   #281
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
LOL Mary !!! Your so cute. I just know you are thrilled.
Time for Vita_mix partying. Have a great time.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:29 PM   #282
Gadget Gal

MARY!!!

Oh you're gonna have fun now. Get your DH some good stuff made up with it - he'll never regret buying it!

For easy ice cream - sweeten 1 cup heavy cream to taste (make it pretty sweet for most combos) and add a little vanilla extract if you want. Pour that into the VM then add 1 pound frozen fruit. My DH loves strawberries so I use Trader Joe's frozen whole berries. Turn it on low and walk it up fairly quickly to high, it makes a hellatious racket but pretty quick you've got soft-serve type strawberry (or other fruit) ice cream!

I've also used TJ's frozen mixed berries, frozen pitted cherries, and their frozen pineapple tidbits. All are wonderful! Frozen blueberries are good too but I found they needed a bit more sweetener than I thought they would. Make sure you visit that VitaMix Heaven thread on here too - LOTS of good stuff!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Old 08-08-2011, 12:32 PM   #283
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosethorns View Post
LOL Mary !!! Your so cute. I just know you are thrilled.
Time for Vita_mix partying. Have a great time.

Quote:
MARY!!!

Oh you're gonna have fun now. Get your DH some good stuff made up with it - he'll never regret buying it!

For easy ice cream - sweeten 1 cup heavy cream to taste (make it pretty sweet for most combos) and add a little vanilla extract if you want. Pour that into the VM then add 1 pound frozen fruit. My DH loves strawberries so I use Trader Joe's frozen whole berries. Turn it on low and walk it up fairly quickly to high, it makes a hellatious racket but pretty quick you've got soft-serve type strawberry (or other fruit) ice cream!

I've also used TJ's frozen mixed berries, frozen pitted cherries, and their frozen pineapple tidbits. All are wonderful! Frozen blueberries are good too but I found they needed a bit more sweetener than I thought they would. Make sure you visit that VitaMix Heaven thread on here too - LOTS of good stuff!

Thanks both of you! Yup, I am pretty thrilled! I spent part of last night hunting around for recipes... I noticed in the cookbook that you can make your own marzipan...interesting...What I want to try to make is some sort of almond paste like they put into pastries? That would be So, I am pretty much on cloud 9 right now...didn't realize how happy this would make me. LOL!!! You guys are really GREAT!!!
Old 08-08-2011, 05:16 PM   #284
Gadget Gal

And you must NOT forget to post whatever you try HERE so we can all share!
Old 08-08-2011, 05:36 PM   #285
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Dreamchaser
Quote:
Charski - HELP! I have what they call the Vitamix Creations II with a 48 oz jar. I just got it a few months ago. I tried this ice cream recipe today. I followed your exact directions. When I put the 1 pound of frozen fruit in mine, it didn't even begin to budge and move around with the cream. I had to keep adding cream and water just to get it to blend. By the time I was finished it turned out to be a shake....no where near ice cream.

Do they just not make the vitamix as good as it used to be? This really makes me upset. I'm thinking mine might not be as powerful as it's supposed to be. I can't imagine what else it could be. I have never used the tamper that came with it. Do you need to use to use the tamper for this recipe?
Old 08-08-2011, 06:29 PM   #286
Major LCF Poster!

I'm no vitamix expert, but I would have used the tamper...just to move things around a bit...I bet the experts would be able to give you great advice though! I am still learning with mine, I just got it yesterday!
Old 08-08-2011, 07:02 PM   #287
Gadget Gal

Yes, you need to use the tamper to press the frozen fruit into the blades!

Not sure what a "Creations II" is - it may not have the same strength as the 5000/5200 series? Did it come with a cookbook? If so there should be some fruit/cream "ice cream" recipes in there, I would think - my 5000 has them anyway.

Hope you get it to work!
Old 08-08-2011, 09:12 PM   #288

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourstubbs View Post
I'm no vitamix expert, but I would have used the tamper...just to move things around a bit...I bet the experts would be able to give you great advice though! I am still learning with mine, I just got it yesterday!
Quote:
Yes, you need to use the tamper to press the frozen fruit into the blades!

Not sure what a "Creations II" is - it may not have the same strength as the 5000/5200 series? Did it come with a cookbook? If so there should be some fruit/cream "ice cream" recipes in there, I would think - my 5000 has them anyway.

Hope you get it to work!
fourstubbs and Charski - Thanks for answering.

Let me ask you this. If you tried to do that recipe without the tamper, would it work in your machine?

I just looked on the website and the creations machine that I have does have a 2-peak HP (1380 Watts) motor which is the same motor as the 5200 machine.

Mine does have a cookbook. I just haven't really looked at it.

I did turn it off and try to move the fruit around with a spoon and then turned it back on but I guess that's not the same as using the tamper.
Dreamchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:32 PM   #289
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamchaser View Post
fourstubbs and Charski - Thanks for answering.

Let me ask you this. If you tried to do that recipe without the tamper, would it work in your machine?

I just looked on the website and the creations machine that I have does have a 2-peak HP (1380 Watts) motor which is the same motor as the 5200 machine.

Mine does have a cookbook. I just haven't really looked at it.

I did turn it off and try to move the fruit around with a spoon and then turned it back on but I guess that's not the same as using the tamper.
Probably not, since the tamper helps to push the ingredients down and get everything moving. I am sure your machine is wonderful, I have never heard a bad thing about the vitamix. It is a lifetime machine. Do you still have the tamper that came with the machine? ya know, even when using a regular blender, you would still have to move the strawberries around till it gets going too. I think because it's frozen, it tends to want to stick together and the tamper would help it to go to the bottom where the cream has settled and start whirling it all together. Char, is this about right?
Old 08-08-2011, 09:56 PM   #290

Quote:
Probably not, since the tamper helps to push the ingredients down and get everything moving. I am sure your machine is wonderful, I have never heard a bad thing about the vitamix. It is a lifetime machine. Do you still have the tamper that came with the machine? ya know, even when using a regular blender, you would still have to move the strawberries around till it gets going too. I think because it's frozen, it tends to want to stick together and the tamper would help it to go to the bottom where the cream has settled and start whirling it all together. Char, is this about right?
Thanks Mary! I know the vitamix is an excellent machine. I read about it for many years before I finally made the purchase.
But I couldn't understand why I couldn't get this recipe to work. And, plus, it always seems like when I am making my shakes, I have to add more than liquid than it seems like I should have to add to get it to mix up. I guess I just didn't realize the tamper made such a difference.

The frozen strawberries definitely do stick together! I do still have the tamper. I'll have to start using it.

Last edited by Dreamchaser; 08-08-2011 at 09:59 PM..
Old 08-08-2011, 11:01 PM   #291
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamchaser View Post
Thanks Mary! I know the vitamix is an excellent machine. I read about it for many years before I finally made the purchase.
But I couldn't understand why I couldn't get this recipe to work. And, plus, it always seems like when I am making my shakes, I have to add more than liquid than it seems like I should have to add to get it to mix up. I guess I just didn't realize the tamper made such a difference.

The frozen strawberries definitely do stick together! I do still have the tamper. I'll have to start using it.
I hope it works out for you!! I pulled this recipe up from the vitamix website, it goes into detail of the technique they use. You have to post and let us know how it works for you next time!

Strawberry Ice Cream

Yield: 3 1/2 cups (840 ml)

Speed: Variable to High
Time: 30 to 60 seconds

Ingredients

1 cup (240 ml) half and half or whole milk
1 pound (454 g) frozen unsweetened strawberries
1/3-1/2 cup (66-100 g) sugar or other sweetener to taste
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

1. Place all ingredients into the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure lid.
2. Select Variable 1.
3. Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to Variable 10, then to High.
4. Use the tamper to press ingredients into the blades.
5. In about 30-60 seconds, the sound of the motor will change and four mounds should form.
6. Stop machine. Do not overmix or melting will occur. Serve immediately.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:31 PM   #292

Quote:
I hope it works out for you!! I pulled this recipe up from the vitamix website, it goes into detail of the technique they use. You have to post and let us know how it works for you next time!

Strawberry Ice Cream

Yield: 3 1/2 cups (840 ml)

Speed: Variable to High
Time: 30 to 60 seconds

Ingredients

1 cup (240 ml) half and half or whole milk
1 pound (454 g) frozen unsweetened strawberries
1/3-1/2 cup (66-100 g) sugar or other sweetener to taste

1. Place all ingredients into the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure lid.
2. Select Variable 1.
3. Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to Variable 10, then to High.
4. Use the tamper to press ingredients into the blades.
5. In about 30-60 seconds, the sound of the motor will change and four mounds should form.
6. Stop machine. Do not overmix or melting will occur. Serve immediately.
Thanks so much for posting the recipe, fs, I appreciate that!

I will be sure to post my results next time (and use the tamper)!
Old 08-08-2011, 11:43 PM   #293
Gadget Gal

Yep. Exactly what Mary posted. I'm sorry I didn't mention the tamper - I'm pretty sure I did way upthread someplace, in fact probably mentioned that I made ice cream in my 32 ounce container and managed to chew up the bottom of the tamper by pushing it too hard into the container and it went past the "stop" and slid right into the blades! Ew.

So you gotta use it, for sure. The only other way I can think MIGHT work would be to get the machine running and drop a berry or two into it through the opening in the top while it's running at high speed. That will take a while though with a pound of berries!
Old 08-09-2011, 05:45 AM   #294
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sligh
Stats: 190/118/145
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 31, 2003
I just wanted to report how much I loved the Herbed Sauce for Salmon I got off the vitamix website. I usually do a cucumber/dill sauce with salmon, but this has a lemony flavor that is really nice and I liked even better.

Herbed Sauce for Salmon
Yield: 4 salmon steaks
Speed: Variable
Time: 10 seconds

4-4 ounce (454 g) salmon steaks
2 tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil
1/2 cup (120 g) lite or nonfat sour cream
1 tablespoon fresh chives
1 tablespoon milk
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
2 tablespoons (30 ml) lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon salt or substitute
1/8 teaspoon dried dill weed (or 1 tablespoon fresh)

1. Place sour cream, chives, milk, lemon peel, lemon juice, salt and dillweed into the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure lid.
2. Turn machine on to Variable 1 and slowly increase speed to Variable 4.
3. Blend for 10 seconds or until smooth. Cover and chill.

Cooking the Fish
1. Rinse fish and pat dry. Sprinkle with salt.
2. Add oil to a hot skillet. Place salmon steaks into the skillet, skin side down.
3. Reduce heat to medium and cook 3 to 5 minutes on each side or, until desired doneness. Transfer to a hot platter. Cover with sauce.

Garnish: Lemon slices
sligh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:16 AM   #295
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
And you must NOT forget to post whatever you try HERE so we can all share!
I will try my very best Char!
Old 08-09-2011, 11:17 AM   #296
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sligh View Post
I just wanted to report how much I loved the Herbed Sauce for Salmon I got off the vitamix website. I usually do a cucumber/dill sauce with salmon, but this has a lemony flavor that is really nice and I liked even better.

Herbed Sauce for Salmon
Yield: 4 salmon steaks
Speed: Variable
Time: 10 seconds

4-4 ounce (454 g) salmon steaks
2 tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil
1/2 cup (120 g) lite or nonfat sour cream
1 tablespoon fresh chives
1 tablespoon milk
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
2 tablespoons (30 ml) lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon salt or substitute
1/8 teaspoon dried dill weed (or 1 tablespoon fresh)

1. Place sour cream, chives, milk, lemon peel, lemon juice, salt and dillweed into the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure lid.
2. Turn machine on to Variable 1 and slowly increase speed to Variable 4.
3. Blend for 10 seconds or until smooth. Cover and chill.

Cooking the Fish
1. Rinse fish and pat dry. Sprinkle with salt.
2. Add oil to a hot skillet. Place salmon steaks into the skillet, skin side down.
3. Reduce heat to medium and cook 3 to 5 minutes on each side or, until desired doneness. Transfer to a hot platter. Cover with sauce.

Garnish: Lemon slices
I noticed this recipe last night too... I want to try this, but I need to get dill. I rarely use it, wish I had some fresh! Thanks!!
Old 08-09-2011, 03:58 PM   #297
Gadget Gal

Quote:
I will try my very best Char!
Do or do not. There is no "try"!

[spoken in my best Yoda voice....]
Old 08-09-2011, 06:14 PM   #298
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jokath
Stats: Then 190/144/144...Now 190/156/155
WOE: Low carb/Gluten Free
Start Date: January 2003
I just made this with Blackberrys...it is yummy! Even DH likes it!

Quote:
VitaMix Fruit Ice Cream or Frozen Yogurt

for 2 servings:

1/2 cup full-fat plain yogurt OR heavy cream OR half & half
Sweetener of your choice to equal about a cup
8 oz. unsweetened frozen fruit (individual pieces) - I've used strawberries, black raspberries, mixed berries, pineapple, blueberries, cherries, and cherry/berry mix (I get these from Trader Joe's but any frozen fruit you like will be fine)

Put ingredients in order listed into VitaMix container. Put on lid but remove center, insert tamper, start machine on Low and walk up to about 7 or 8, pushing fruit into blades with tamper. It should take about 30 seconds or less to make into a soft-serve consistency!

Great way to get your fruit and using the low-glycemic, lower-carb fruits works great. Our faves our strawberry and black raspberry, which is quite "seedy" but tasty none-the-less.

Double everything for 4 servings.

It doesn't "keep" well because it freezes rock-hard in the freezer, so I only make enough at a time for the servings required.
jokath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:10 PM   #299
Major LCF Poster!

OK I used the vitamix tonight for the first time. Yes, it did sit on my counter for two days before I used it! I indulged myself today, pulled that baby out and I have found that it is one heavy duty machine! It is made very well, nice and sturdy...I loved the quality of the unit..it impressed me. My husband always tells me I should be a quality assurance person..because I am really picky! Well I used it tonight, it is awesome! It is like going from a Ford to a Maserati!!! There is so much power to it ... it's incredible! If you are on the fence about whether or not to get it, DO IT, you won't regret your decision!!! I made blueberry ice cream. It was wonderful! Dh loved it.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:14 PM   #300
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Do or do not. There is no "try"!

[spoken in my best Yoda voice....]