Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2007, 07:05 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: weasel!
Stats: 156/154/125; 5'7", small frame
WOE: JUDDDD/LCHF/Paleo/WAPF/whole foods
Start Date: restart LCHF 1/2014; restart LCHF/JUDDDD 4/2014
Fawn's Golden Flax Garden Veggie Crackers

Fawn posted this recipe on another (non-recipe-room) thread. I made them and they're so terrific I wanted more people to see!

These are so easy to make and so tasty. They really have a lovely flavor profile. And to think, all the tastes are natural.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawn View Post
Sure Vesna! I think you might really enjoy these. I dip them in chicken salad, use them with soups, smear peanut butter on them....
2 cups golden flax soaked 12-24 hours no more they will ferment beyond 24 I do about 20 hours
2 green onions
1 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. nutritional yeast
1/2 cup chopped carrots
1 cup fresh tomatoes OR 3/4 cup sun dried soaked for 12 hours to re-constitute
2 tbs. dill
1 1/2 tbs. lemon juice

cover flax seeds with water and soak for no more than 24 hours they will ferment beyond the 24. Soaking them sprouts them and makes them more ready for digestion and nutritional benefit
soak tomatoes for 12 hours if using sun dried....this will re-constitute them
blen all ingredients except the flax seeds until smooth. If you blen the flax seed the crackers will not become crisp when dehydrated.
fold flax seeds in
taste and add a bit more salt to taste you want the flavor to be slightly under what you consider a perfect strenth because when you dehydrate, it contitutes the salt flavors and can end up being too salty. evenly spread the batter on the silicone tray of your dehydrator (no worry about the silicone as it doesn't get hot)
Dehydrate at 105 for 12 hours flip carefully and continue to dehydrate for another 12 hours or until crispy.

Variations
braggs amino's instead of salt
you can also add 1 1/2 cups of almonds that have been soaked and dehusked....if you use almonds double the rest of the other ingredients.
My variations:
- Drained canned tomatoes instead of fresh or reconstituted
- Parchment paper (see notes below)
- Hard container for storage (see notes below)

This made three dehydrator trays full for me. My variation: I used parchment paper for two of the three trays, because I only had one plastic tray. I found that I like the parchment better! The batter spread more easily, and I was able to peel the paper off the cracker easily when it came time to flip it. The one on the plastic tray broke into bits. Fawn mentions silicone -- my dehydrator is about 12 years old, from before the days of modern silicone kitchen gadgets. Maybe that's the difference.

I've been taking crackers to work for my afternoon snackerel of something, instead of cheese or nuts. It's been great. It's good for when I'm satisfied, satiety-wise, but want something fun and crunchy. And sooo tasty!

Another tip: in another post, Fawn says she keeps hers in a zip-top bag. I use a hard container, because in a bag mine will get pulverized. My pantry is just so jammed with stuff!

2009 JUDDDD SUCCESS STORY
6/8-149; 6/11-147; 6/18-145; 6/20-144; 6/23-145; 6/25-146; 6/27-145; 6/29-146; 7/2-144; 7/4-143; 7/7-142; 7/9-141; 7/11-140; 7/14-141; 7/30-139; 8/1-138
VFT August 1 after 8 weeks of alternate-day dieting!
weasel! is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2007, 06:54 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: eastbruce
Stats: 202/187/120
WOE: JUDDD,Low Carb, High Fat
What is the difference between golden flax meal/seeds and regular flax?
eastbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 07:05 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastbruce View Post
What is the difference between golden flax meal/seeds and regular flax?

One is just lighter that the other and some think it tastes lighter-I like both of them and tastes the same to me.
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 08:05 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: RealFoodLiving
Stats: 218 /158/118
WOE: LC / Working towards renewed health
Start Date: July 11 2007 / LC RE-start: Nov 2010, JUDD 1/11
Hey y'all,

Can the nutritional yeast be omitted or subbed with anything? I am allergic.
RealFoodLiving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 05:59 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

I just mixed up a batch of these with a different seasoning profile: Southwest. I ground a chile ancho and a chile mulato (from the cellophane sacks sold in the Hispanic grocery aisle) with a coffee grinder, then mixed with 1/4 teaspoon cumin.

Ancho and mulato are both sweet-flavored pepper, but there is a hint of heat in the cracker. Lovely!

I subtracted the dill. No other changes to my variations on the recipe at the start of this thread.

You could try chili powder or any other Southwest-style seasoning you like.

I look forward to trying this recipe with more and more seasoning variations!
Old 01-04-2008, 10:17 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AngieZ
Question RE: flax crackers

Does anyone know if these can be made in the oven? I don't own a dehydrator, but this recipe looks too good to pass up. Thank you
AngieZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 05:17 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Irishnonee
sounds good.
Irishnonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 05:58 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngieZ View Post
Does anyone know if these can be made in the oven? I don't own a dehydrator, but this recipe looks too good to pass up. Thank you
Angie,

You could try spreading it on parchment paper on cookie sheets and setting your oven to 200F, or lower if possible. Keep an eye on it! I don't think it'll burn at that temp, but I wouldn't leave the house with it, until I'd tested it for sure. Let us know how it works.
Old 04-04-2008, 04:01 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kisal
WOE: Basic low carb
Start Date: October 15, 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainGirl View Post
Hey y'all,

Can the nutritional yeast be omitted or subbed with anything? I am allergic.
It's only 1 1/2 teaspoons of nutritional yeast. I haven't tried it, but I'm pretty sure it could just be omitted without making the results noticeably different.

If you like, you could probably sub 1 1/2 tsp of unflavored whey protein, soy flour (if you use soy), or perhaps even something like psyllium husks. But I'd be willing to bet the crackers would turn out just fine without using the yeast or any kind of sub.
Kisal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 05:30 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: RealFoodLiving
Stats: 218 /158/118
WOE: LC / Working towards renewed health
Start Date: July 11 2007 / LC RE-start: Nov 2010, JUDD 1/11
Thank you for answering my question!! I sure appreciate it. I'm anxious to make these.
RealFoodLiving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 09:02 AM   #11
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by weasel! View Post

This made three dehydrator trays full for me. My variation: I used parchment paper for two of the three trays, because I only had one plastic tray. I found that I like the parchment better!
So do you simply cut the parchment paper to fit flat on the tray?

I've been thinking about fruit leather made with strawberries liquified in the blender, but I don't want to invest in the special liners for the trays - wonder if either parchment, or some of my silicone oven liners, could be cut and used - but not sure how "liquid" the strawberries will be after blending and if they'd all drip through without a "lip" on the liners!

So many experiments, so little time...

And if you wouldn't mind - I'd love it if you'd also post this recipe and your tweaks in the "Dehydrator" thread so I can find it easily! Thanks in advance!

Char

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 12:56 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

I have a batch drying right now! This time, I used fresh parsley instead of dill and freshly squeezed lime instead of lemon. Also I blended the soaked flax in the blender, as an experiment.

Kisal, I think you're right about the yeast being delete-able. In fact, I think you could omit every single thing except for the soaked flax seeds and wind up with a structurally identical product.

Charski, how 'bout I take the lazy way out and post a link to this thread on the other thread?

I think the parchment would work with the strawberry puree. If it's really watery, you could sieve out the excess. Whatever doesn't pour right out immediately will be fine on the parchment.

Yes, I cut the paper to fit flat on the tray, exactly.

Here's my parchment method. I make a bunch at a time by folding it as if I were making paper dolls. (Don't try for Z-folding -- just roll and flatten.) I take one of the inserts and trace lightly with a pencil. I find the very center by making an "x." I fold in half and cut. This way, it's almost just as fast to make a zillion as it is to make one. I make more than I need, for another time. I try to err on the side of being a little too small rather than a little too large. This provides me with homemade, cheap, disposable inserts!

Last edited by weasel!; 04-06-2008 at 12:58 PM..
Old 04-06-2008, 01:13 PM   #13
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Oh sure, a link will work just as well! Thanks so much! And thanks for the further instructions re: parchment and so forth.
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 05:24 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Wow, fantastic! Blending the flax seeds is a huge improvement!

The only problem with these crackers has always been that they shatter easily. Also, many (maybe most?) of the whole seeds go right through you instead of being digested and utilized. With some of the seeds ground up, the cracker has a much better structure, and a better mouthfeel.

I put them in the blender after soaking and whizzed away. There were still lots and lots of whole seeds, but a lot of them got blended up and mixed with the water into a sort of soft, gluey dough.

Next time, I'll trying grinding them up before soaking, to see if that's easier to do and what the results are like. I would reserve 1/8-1/4 of them whole, because the whole seeds are attractive and fun when they're scattered throughout the cracker.

The parsely was a good sub for the dill. A bit less aggressive flavor, which makes the crackers more multi-purposed. The lime worked, also.

Next time, I think I'll try just flax, salt and water, and see how well these do as just regular, neutral-flavored crackers.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:26 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

And my little boy (4) loves them with peanut butter!
Old 04-21-2008, 10:00 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jenks
Stats: 179/142/130
WOE: HCG shots
Start Date: April 2003/Jan 2004/March 2005/ April 2008
Just checking to see if anyone tried making these in the oven?
jenks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 06:07 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: soon
Stats: restart 07
WOE: whatever works
Anyone know if you can start with ground flaxseed and skip the soaking (lazy is my middle name)
soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 06:39 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

It wouldn't work. It would just be oily dust. There would be nothing to dehydrate.

The flax seeds get all puffed up with the water and turn into a batter. That's what you spread out to form crackers.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:28 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: islegirl
Stats: 148/?
WOE: Atkins
fresh or dried dill?

Hello weasel.
I am going to make fawn's flax crackers tomorrow and was wondering if I should use fresh or dried dill in this recipe? Thanks for your help.

Sue.
islegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 02:36 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Sue,

Sorry I didn't answer -- I haven't checked this thread for the past several months! Fresh dill will be more delicious, but dried will also work. If using dried, use only a teaspoon.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:06 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

I just made the crackers again, after a long break!

The way I make them now is to grind one cup and leave one cup whole. Then soak. 2 1/2 cups water is plenty. (Less to dehydrate out later.)

I have tried it with no seasoning besides salt, and it's good, very good.

I have a batch in the dehydrator now, made with parsely instead of dill and crushed, canned tomatoes. Lovely!
Old 01-19-2009, 11:26 AM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BikerAng
Stats: 195/167/155 5'9"
WOE: Atkins - organic & humanely raised
Start Date: Feb 2007
This recipe sounds fantastic! When you soak the flax, do you use the soaked flax and soaking water to make the dough, or do you drain it? I have everything except the carrots, would this work without them? Would celery work in it's place? I put my flax seeds in a container and they are soaking away. Sounds like this is a very tweak friendly recipe.

Charksi - I bought an Excalibur dehydrator a while ago and they recommend using saran wrap on the trays if you run out of the solid ones (mine only came with 2) for leathers. I haven't tried using saran wrap yet, but I think it would be ok because the dehydrator doesn't get hot. I'd just make sure the saran is larger than the tray and kind of wrap it over the edges.
BikerAng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 11:51 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

BikerAng, You don't drain the soaking water.

By the way I've found the ideal amount of water to add: 2 1/2 cups water for 2 cups flax. That's enough to soak the seeds well, but no more. It cuts the dehydrating time some.

You can make these crackers with nothing except flax and water. I've made them with just flax, water and salt. It's a nice, neutral carrier cracker for cheese, dip, etc.

Therefore I'm sure you can omit the carrots. However, you might want to think about adjusting the other seasonings. The balance might be affected by the absence of carrot. (Or it might not, but it's something to think about.)
Old 01-19-2009, 01:44 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

wonderful, thanks much!!
Old 01-20-2009, 09:32 AM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

These are dehydrating now! They look like they are going to be wonderful crackers. I got three full trays also. BTW: the parchment paper you suggested Vesna is a much better option than the saran wrap I suggested a few posts above. I used parchment for the 3rd tray, there is no way I could have spread this batter out on saran wrap!
Old 01-20-2009, 03:58 PM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jacksmixedtape
Stats: 160/140ish, 5'11"
WOE: gluten-free whole foods
Start Date: May 2007
Wish I had a dehydrator to make these! They sound so good and nourishing. Has anyone tried them in the oven?
jacksmixedtape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:48 AM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

These are a lovely cracker, super crispy and the flax flavor seemed to change a bit after soaking (they taste more mild). I just used the soaked flax and water, 2 chopped roma tomatoes (deseeded), nutritional yeast, salt, and lemon juice blended up in my food processor. These dehydrate for 24 hours at 105 degrees. I'm not sure if they'd turn out the same in an oven because they'd cook.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:48 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

You can probably pick up a really cheap dehydrator that was used once or twice via craigslist. I just searched and in my area there's one like that for $10 and one for $20 right now. They're $30 and up new.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:35 PM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

I told a co-worker about the $10 dehydrator on craigslist and she got in touch with the seller! She is going to buy it specifically so she can make these crackers. I brought them into work and she is wild about them! Is that cool or what?
Old 01-22-2009, 09:58 AM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Awesome! My DH doesn't like the taste of flax, and he tried one and said it had a slight flax "flavor". He loved the texture though. Well, he put cream cheese on them and ate a bunch. He said they grew on him. He thinks they'd be really good with other veggies, I'm going to make them more veggie like the next time around. I love these crackers!!