Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2007, 06:18 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Paula Deen's EZ Corned Beef and Cabbage

I got this from Linda Sue's recipe site. I tweaked it to work for myself
and husband. We loved it and it only took 15 min. for a wonderful dinner.
I'm posting the original recipe and then adding my 'tweaks'.

PAULA'S EASY CORNED BEEF & CABBAGE
4 pieces bacon, coarsely chopped (used 2 pieces bacon)
4 tablespoons butter (cut this into 2 tbs.)
1 small cabbage, coarsely chopped, 25 ounces
Salt and pepper, to taste
12 ounce can corned beef, broken into chunks * (Used 12 oz. of delicious
deli corned beef sliced as though you had a corned beef cooked in front
of you. I didn't want it thin.)

In a large skillet with a lid, cook bacon until almost crisp. Remove bacon but keep fat in skillet. Add butter to fat and heat over medium. Add cabbage and stir to coat with fat. Add 1/3 cup water and salt and pepper, going easy on the salt. Cover and cook 10-15 minutes, until cabbage is tender. Add corned beef and bacon. Cook, uncovered, until everything is hot and some of the liquid has evaporated. Adjust seasonings to taste.

Makes 4-6 servings

* If you don't chill your corned beef ahead of time, as directed on the can, it will crumble into bits and look like hamburger like mine did. The second time I made this, I chilled the meat and cut it into cubes. It still crumbled a bit with cooking, but there were larger chunks. I haven't quite decided if that's such a good thing because canned corned beef isn't all that pretty to look at.

Per 1/4 Recipe: 395 Calories; 28g Fat; 28g Protein; 10g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 6g Net Carbs
Per 1/6 Recipe: 263 Calories; 19g Fat; 18g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carbs

Despite the fact that my corned beef was a bit mushy and crumbly, this was very good. It's very homey and satisfying, which isn't surprising since it came from Paula Deen of Food Network. I bet the leftovers would be nice reheated and topped with a fried egg. This basic recipe might also be nice with a pound of cooked ground beef instead of the corned beef. I would brown a little onion along with the ground beef to give it a little extra flavor.

We loved it. and we have two portions for tomorrow's lunch.
Thanks for posting this Linda Sue

Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2007, 09:42 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rexsreine
WOE: low carb
We tried Paula's recipe last year. Canned corned beef was new to me. Did NOT like CANNED corned beef. The cabbage was great and the dish easy to do. Since Barbo used deli meat, I'm sure it was much better. I'd recommend using the deli meat.

Ginny
rexsreine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 11:04 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
It was yummo

We will have the rest for lunch today. Bet it tastes even better Ginny?

I made those little "English Muffins" and put caraway seeds in them
so that they kinda tasted like ryebread toast, this will be good with
the corned beef and cabbage, don'tcha think?

b
Barbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 12:40 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Barbara Ray
Stats: 230/150/162/150
WOE: Low Calorie/Low Glycemic Load/Low Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexsreine View Post
We tried Paula's recipe last year. Canned corned beef was new to me. Did NOT like CANNED corned beef. The cabbage was great and the dish easy to do. Since Barbo used deli meat, I'm sure it was much better. I'd recommend using the deli meat.

Ginny

I wholeheartedly agree about CANNED meats of ANYKIND!!! IF I was to make this I'd surely use deli meat. But - alas I'm "old fashion" and like my corn beef simmered until fork tender - adding veggies at the end. Now - that's REAL corn beef!
Barbara Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 01:09 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rexsreine
WOE: low carb
Canned chicken is okay, but just okay. Probably good to have a couple of cans around for emergencies. The only other canned meat I'll buy is canned beef cubes from Argentina. Costco used to carry this (big can) but I believe they have now gone to small cans containing beef and gravy. Restaurant supply places like Smart and Final still have the large cans. The beef is lean and packed in broth which has very little fat. I use it only in machaca and it does an excellent job for that. It's usually cheaper than cooking a chuck roast yourself for the meat shreds. Of course, most of us like canned tuna. Canned shrimp, in my opinion, is not worth eating.

Ginny
rexsreine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 02:03 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LovesDivine
Stats: 175/175/145
Start Date: 2/4/2013 (restart again)
I actually made this late last week and finally had some for lunch. I did not really care for it. It was not "bad" but for sure not as good as cabbage and hamburger meat or cabbage and "real" corned beef. I won't make it again.
LovesDivine is offline   Reply With Quote