Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Coconut Oil uses (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/525357-coconut-oil-uses.html)

susan12369 11-09-2007 09:42 AM

Coconut Oil uses

I'm wondering what the best way to integrate some coconut oil into my daily diet is. I found the bark recipe and can't wait to try that, but I'm wondering also what it can be substituted for in recipes, and whether equal substitution or what percentage. Mayonnaise? Butter?

For those of you who use coconut oil, how do you use it?

Charski 11-09-2007 09:47 AM

Well, first, I use the organic expeller-pressed most often, because it is fragrance and flavor-free. Some things you just don't WANT to taste like coconut! ;)

I use it to fry eggs, meat, veggies, or whatever needs oil. It's great for deep frying too because it has a very high smoke point.

I've made mayo with it but it got TOO solid at fridge temp (where of course you have to store it) and then softened up too much at room temp. So I just use extra-light olive oil now for mayo.

I melt and use it in any recipe that calls for vegetable oil, like muffins and such.

I also use it on my skin! It's a great moisturizer and actually a good deodorant too, as it's antibacterial/antiviral - keeps colonies of odor-causing bacteria from multiplying and you'll have the softest pits in town! :rofl:

susan12369 11-09-2007 12:21 PM

Thanks!

rexsreine 11-09-2007 01:47 PM

Charski, which brand of oil do you use? I've fiddled with a number of them over time but can't say I'm completely satisfied yet. I use LouAna from Wal-Mart for shallow frying (it's pretty inexpensive) and a virgin type for my coffee and some baked goods. Have done the mail order, too, but wasn't convinced the shipping costs were justified.

Oh, Susan, do a search on this board for mayonnaise. I posted a recipe that is actually spreadable even when cold.

Ginny

Dixie Barkley 11-09-2007 03:31 PM

Can anyone tell me the shelf-life of coconut oil. I have some that has never been open and is about a year old. Does it retain its properties for a long time. It is the odorless and tasteless one.

Charski 11-09-2007 04:44 PM

Ginny, I love the stuff from Tropical Traditions. I buy both the expeller-pressed and the virgin. I use by FAR more EPCO though.

Dixie, if it's been kept in a cool dark place it's probably still just fine. You'll be able to tell if it smells rancid or "off" when you open it.

LindaSue 11-10-2007 07:38 AM

If you want the kind with a coconut flavor, the Rexall brand from Wal-Mart is very good. It's about $10 for 16 ounces. You'll find it in the vitamin section. I like eating by the spoonful when it is somewhat firm but most of the time it's in a liquid state due to the warm weather. Don't try storing it in the fridge or you'll never get it out of the container.

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/products/coconut_oil.jpg

I've been making this with it:

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/food_ph...conut_bark.jpg

CHOCOLATE COCONUT BARK
20 grams Lindt 85% cocoa chocolate, 2 squares
1/4 cup coconut oil
1 tablespoon granular Splenda or equivalent liquid Splenda

Break the chocolate up into small pieces and put in a microwaveable bowl along with the coconut oil. Microwave on 50% power about 1 minute or until the chocolate has melted. Add the Splenda and stir to blend well. Pour into a small container lined with nonstick foil. Freeze until firm then break or chop into pieces. Store in the freezer for best results. It melts very quickly at room temperature.

Makes 2-4 servings

With granular Splenda:
1/4 Recipe: 145 Calories; 16g Fat; 1g Protein; 1g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 1g Net Carb
1/2 Recipe: 290 Calories; 32g Fat; 1g Protein; 3g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 2g Net Carbs

With liquid Splenda:
1/4 Recipe: 144 Calories; 16g Fat; 1g Protein; 1g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; trace Net Carbs
1/2 Recipe: 287 Calories; 32g Fat; 1g Protein; 1.5g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; .5g Net Carbs

lcmiller461 11-10-2007 07:51 AM

I add 2 TBL to my protein drink each morning and don't notice the difference. I've put it in my 3 minute muffins as someone on the boards suggested, but although I can't taste the diff, if you eat the muffins with your fingers you definitely have oily fingers. I've also melted and added Butter Buds--that worked out really well, but since I don't use butter much I wasn't getting my daily amount. Also, I've used it to make Mayo and it turned out fine. I also make the bark, but sometimes I get tired of eating it every day (I know, I know--how can you get tired of chocolate??!!) :laugh:

rexsreine 11-10-2007 09:18 AM

Thanks, LindaSue, for the tip on virgin coconut oil from Wal-Mart. Only coconut oil I've bought there so far has been the LouAna brand, a refined, bleached, deodorized product that is fine for frying but not good enough for other purposes. The price on the Rexall is nice, too!

Ginny

lisabinil 11-10-2007 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcmiller461 (Post 9483240)
I add 2 TBL to my protein drink each morning and don't notice the difference. I've put it in my 3 minute muffins as someone on the boards suggested, but although I can't taste the diff, if you eat the muffins with your fingers you definitely have oily fingers. I've also melted and added Butter Buds--that worked out really well, but since I don't use butter much I wasn't getting my daily amount. Also, I've used it to make Mayo and it turned out fine. I also make the bark, but sometimes I get tired of eating it every day (I know, I know--how can you get tired of chocolate??!!) :laugh:

I add CO to my OneMinuteMuffins and have never had greasy fingers. Could you be overdoing it? :)

puttchikins 11-10-2007 12:18 PM

This is way too good make a cup of sugar cookie tea/2bags steep for a few minutes then add coconut oil and it tastes just like a coconut sugar cookie..I did add a tad of sweetener but no cream and it was yummy!

lcmiller461 11-10-2007 04:45 PM

Quote:

I add CO to my OneMinuteMuffins and have never had greasy fingers. Could you be overdoing it?
Probably--I add 2 T in place of the liquid. I try to have 2 T a day, and was just trying to get it all in at once.

crazywoman-n-wy 11-10-2007 08:43 PM

[COLOR=Red]I saw that coconut oil down in Arkansas and/or Oklahoma when down there visiting my sister (& helping w/my FIL), but I haven't seen it at my WalMart here yet. Maybe I just missed it. I'll have to look again one of these days.
The container & even the label looks just like the one on some that I bought from a vitamin supply online. Wonder if it is marketed by the same company to different stores? :confused:
Hope my WalMart does get it in, as it was a better price at WalMart down there than ordering it. Or at least maybe the same, and no shipping. Much handier to buy locally than to order.

Ginny, I've bought the LouAnna here at my WM before. I prefer the other as I'm not real happy with the way they process the LouAnna. I keep what I have for skin cream.
[/COLOR]

Annette/TX 11-11-2007 08:51 AM

I just made a batch of Linda's bark. I "tweaked" it by toasting almonds in skillet with 1tsp butter and putting 6-7 whole toasted amonds in the bottoms of my mini muffin pans. I made a double batch of the basic recipe in my glass pyrex measuring cup which has one edge with a spout of sorts. I poured it over the almonds put in the freezer and got 24 of the cutest round candies ever! Not to mention delicious!
Thanks Linda Sue!

eastbruce 11-11-2007 08:54 AM

I found the Rexall Coconut Oil at my WalMart, but almost missed it because it was not with the other oils (fish, flaxseed etc) but was 5 shelves up, all by itself.

wifezilla 11-11-2007 08:58 AM

At my Walmart, the LuAnn brand is by the other oils, the Rexall Extra Virgin stuff is by the vitamins. Use the LuAnn for stuff you don't want to have a coconut flavor, use the other stuff for everything else.

rexsreine 11-11-2007 09:45 AM

I've done a fair amount of reading on coconut oil. There are those who will not use anything but extra virgin oil - no matter what the food. They say they like the flavor of the coconut in just about anything and everything. Others used expeller-pressed or centrifuged for dishes that don't combine well with coconut flavor. All of these oils are much more expensive than a refined, bleached, deodorized oil like LouAna. One respected authority says even the latter is acceptable - though lower in the much-valued lauric acid - and is widely used in the Philippines with no ill effect. It seems flavor and pocket book are the main considerations.

Ginny

LindaSue 11-11-2007 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rexsreine (Post 9487236)
I've done a fair amount of reading on coconut oil. There are those who will not use anything but extra virgin oil - no matter what the food. They say they like the flavor of the coconut in just about anything and everything. Others used expeller-pressed or centrifuged for dishes that don't combine well with coconut flavor. All of these oils are much more expensive than a refined, bleached, deodorized oil like LouAna. One respected authority says even the latter is acceptable - though lower in the much-valued lauric acid - and is widely used in the Philippines with no ill effect. It seems flavor and pocket book are the main considerations.

Ginny

That's good to know, Ginny. I wondered if the LouAna had any health benefits or if it would be considered a "damaged" oil because it has been refined.

rexsreine 11-11-2007 02:28 PM

LindaSue, perhaps I should have added that the reason some people do not want to use a refined, bleached, deodorized oil like LouAna is because they are concerned that those processes leave chemical residues in the oil. No doubt, for an oil with no flavor, the expeller pressed or centrifuged are more natural products. But how often you will use them comes down to economic considerations.

Ginny

crazywoman-n-wy 11-11-2007 02:40 PM

[COLOR=Red]Thanks for sharing your research Ginny!!!!
I have eaten a couple of "jars" of the LouAna myself. Glad to know that researchers have said it does contain at least some of the healthy benefits!

Yes, economic considerations do make a big difference!!!
[/COLOR]

magnamater 11-11-2007 07:05 PM

Anybody want to send me to where you can find the health benefits of CO? I use it daily flavored with powdered PB and sometimes cocoa and add lots of protein powder. It serves for many times when I need to eat and there's not anything LC handy.

Just wondered about health bene's.

crazywoman-n-wy 11-11-2007 11:21 PM

[COLOR=Red]Janie, here is a link to one thread over in the Main low carb lobby about it.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ma...conut-oil.html

If you do a search (especially in that forum) you'll find lots of threads on it.
[/COLOR]

magnamater 11-12-2007 04:11 AM

Thanks, Billie!

crazywoman-n-wy 11-12-2007 02:24 PM

[COLOR=Red]You're welcome! Hope it helped. There are a lot of threads about CO over there.[/COLOR]

Galveston Gal 01-15-2012 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcmiller461 (Post 9483240)

....I also make the bark, but sometimes I get tired of eating it every day (I know, I know--how can you get tired of chocolate??!!) :laugh:

Today I tried and was so very delighted with an alternate I found here on LCF....

1 Tbsp Coconut Oil
1 teaspoon peanut butter ...(I used almond butter)
1 teaspoon favorite Torani's...(I used Hazelnut)

IT WAS DELIGHTFUL....!!!:clap:
I poured it into a silicone mold...2" X4"...so it was cooled quickly in the frig...and broke it in half....
So very satisfying for so little Carbs...!:yummy:

lonestarstamper 01-21-2012 09:45 PM

bump

soon 01-21-2012 10:46 PM

I use it in my shakes , yougurt, my body and my hair. On you tube the chocolate candy is known as chocolate delight there are tons of videos there. I wander who the original poster of the recipe was.