Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2007, 09:31 PM   #31
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: gettinserious
Stats: 3++/3++/170
WOE: lowcarb foods
Start Date: argh
Alfredo Beef and Broccoli Bake

by: Dottie

1.5 lbs ground beef
1 c. diced onion
1 can sliced mushrooms, drained
1 bag frozen broccoli flowerettes, thawed (gettin used fresh)
1/2 bottle of Ragu alfredo sauce (gettin used Classico Brothers portabello mushroom)
salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste
extra parm for on top

Brown beef with onions. Drain if needed. Add spices to taste then add mushrooms and broccoli. Cover and let steam for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Raise heat to high, pour on alfredo and let simmer 2-3 minutes. Top with parm and enjoy

Serves 4

This was good, but didn't have high reviews. I thought it was awesome, but then I used a different alfredo. If you don't like Ragu, try a new one. Classico Brothers has about 5 different kinds of alfredo, so test and see what you like.
GOAL #1: Get into size 22s or beyond by August!
GOAL #2: Lose 100 lbs by years end for a new wardrobe!!

"Cheats happen but the next moment starts now. What you do with it is up to you. Cheat again or abstain... its up to you."

Last edited by gettinserious; 11-10-2007 at 09:32 PM..
gettinserious is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2007, 09:34 PM   #32
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
YUM-I love chili relleno! Thanks Tannie, now I know what I'm having for breakfast!!
Just do me a favor and if you love it as much as me, go tell the person who wrote it out ok?
Old 11-10-2007, 09:45 PM   #33
Blabbermouth!!!

Ok, I have more, but am getting typer's wrist. So tomorrow with the rest. Enjoy cause unless someone else adds some, this is it for the week. I do not have to cook, because I cooked ahead! WHOOO HOOOOOOOO! Planning is so cool. I'm going to have to do this every Saturday. (since I'm home with kids anyways )

Ok, one more... this one is from my grammy though. If you think you hate dill, still try this. Its excellent. I am not a dill fan at all, but this dip is amazing. TRUST ME! Do NOT pass this up because you think you don't like something.

Raw Vegetable Dip

2 C. Miracle Whip or mayo (doesn't have any more than mayo)
2 C. sour cream
3 tsp dill weed (HAHAHA! Bevis and Butthead running through my mind at that one. lol)
1 1/2 tsp seasoned salt
1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
3 tsp parsley flakes
3 tsp onion flakes

Mix together and let mingle all night in fridge.

I have no pic of this, but its good. You will never have another dip like it. I eat this after about 2 hours and its still good. Every day it sits though, it gets better. AND its freezable.

I thought I would set this one out, seeing as the holidays are coming around.
Old 11-11-2007, 05:22 AM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deb79fl
Start Date: Every day
I like the idea of the induction recipe thread, but I have to ask this....

Most of the recipes didn't list serving sizes or carb counts. I know we can eat "liberally" of the induction friendly foods, but, there are limits to the cheese, sour cream, and portions of misc other foods that can easily put you over the carb count for induction. Can someone be the "guide" for the thread and obtain the counts when posting the new recipes? I know that Linda Sue's are broken down on her area and that helps so much!
Deb79fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 10:22 AM   #35
Blabbermouth!!!

Good point. There really isn't serving specifications on most of these recipes. My guideline for the casserole type dishes is no more than 1/2 cup. And I will have a salad or other veggie with it. Then again, I put more meat than veggie or sauce in these casseroles to cut the carb count considerably. I will start adding carb counts for each recipe.

I have to admit that a big fault of mine is NOT measuring. I just throw stuff together and do the above guideline. As I said also in a previous post, I use a salad plate for ALL food consumed and I don't fill it past the center, so that is roughly 1/2 c casserole/ 1 c. salad veggies... And that center is filled. See what I mean?

Last edited by gettinserious; 11-11-2007 at 10:46 AM..
Old 11-11-2007, 11:21 AM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deb79fl
Start Date: Every day
Yes, I do see the "eye ball" method. Makes sense to me, like the way The Zone diet gave rough portion sizes.

I just remember my early days and thinking that it didn't matter how much of something I was actually eating, as long as it was induction friendy. That way always lead me to a stall. Of course, now my appetite is generally much smaller than it used to be, so my portion control is pretty much "built in" except for when I "fall off" and have a pizza binge, crust and all!!

Thanks for the thread and your work putting it together, I'll be checking it out for new recipes often!
Old 11-11-2007, 12:02 PM   #37
Blabbermouth!!!

Deb- I also use this board as a tool for portion control. I eat while being here. It helps me alot. I know popular consensus is to not eat while doing other things, but I find that if I'm online I consume less because my fingers are busy elsewhere and only occasionally I take a bite. It takes me roughly 1/2 hour to and hour to eat and by then I'm "satisfied and full" because that satiation period of waiting 20 mins.
Old 11-11-2007, 04:15 PM   #38
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinserious View Post
Ok, I have more, but am getting typer's wrist. So tomorrow with the rest. Enjoy cause unless someone else adds some, this is it for the week. I do not have to cook, because I cooked ahead! WHOOO HOOOOOOOO! Planning is so cool. I'm going to have to do this every Saturday. (since I'm home with kids anyways )

Ok, one more... this one is from my grammy though. If you think you hate dill, still try this. Its excellent. I am not a dill fan at all, but this dip is amazing. TRUST ME! Do NOT pass this up because you think you don't like something.

Raw Vegetable Dip

2 C. Miracle Whip or mayo (doesn't have any more than mayo)
2 C. sour cream
3 tsp dill weed (HAHAHA! Bevis and Butthead running through my mind at that one. lol)
1 1/2 tsp seasoned salt
1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
3 tsp parsley flakes
3 tsp onion flakes

Mix together and let mingle all night in fridge.

I have no pic of this, but its good. You will never have another dip like it. I eat this after about 2 hours and its still good. Every day it sits though, it gets better. AND its freezable.

I thought I would set this one out, seeing as the holidays are coming around.
Just an FY-Miracle Whip is not an Atkins friendly food. Look at the ingredients

Ingredients: WATER, SOYBEAN OIL, VINEGAR, [COLOR="Red"]HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, SUGAR, MODIFIED FOOD STARCH, [/COLOR]EGG YOLKS, SALT, MUSTARD FLOUR, ARTIFICIAL COLOR, POTASSIUM SORBATE AS A PRESERVATIVE, SPICE, PAPRIKA, NATURAL FLAVOR, DRIED GARLIC.

It contains sugar. It also has 32 grams of carbs per cup so this recipe would have 64 carbs alone from the Miracle Whip. 2 cups of mayo has about 12 carbs. You can make your own homemade Miracle Whip by adding the sweetener of your choice to your mayo.
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 04:23 PM   #39
Blabbermouth!!!

That is true. I wrote it out as Granny had it (original form) then added mayo for the alternative. I have used mayo mixed with a little vinegar (need to get the "tang" from something) and some sweetener with this and its good.

I'm not advocating eating the entire recipe. As with any "dip" you gotta watch portions.

And I HAVE been known to sneek some MW in my LC diet. :blush: Love that stuff. lol.
Old 11-11-2007, 04:27 PM   #40
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Quote:
That is true. I wrote it out as Granny had it (original form) then added mayo for the alternative. I have used mayo mixed with a little vinegar (need to get the "tang" from something) and some sweetener with this and its good.

I'm not advocating eating the entire recipe. As with any "dip" you gotta watch portions.

And I HAVE been known to sneek some MW in my LC diet. :blush: Love that stuff. lol.
My ex was a miraclewhiphead too! He ate it on everything. Be cautious as sugar can cause cravings & binges in some people.
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 04:36 PM   #41
Blabbermouth!!!

Yeah, I keep it to a minimum. Ususally just with my egg salad and whatnot. Which I don't eat a lot of because of that. And I AM a baddie...... I do count it in my totals for the day though.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:39 AM   #42
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Boudica
Stats: New Mommy
WOE: Low G.I. WOE
Start Date: Every Day
I wanna throw one in there.....

Tuna Salad

I can tuna, oil or water packed, drained VERY well (until dry-ish)
1 hard boiled egg, diced
2T mayo
3-4T chopped onion
A couple shakes celery salt

Mix everything together and either eat by itself, use it to stuff a celery stick or two or on top of a regular leaf salad.

Although I am NOT a huge fish fan, I find that the egg and celery salt cut the fishy-ness taste and I actually LIKE this salad!
Boudica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 12:49 PM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tim964
WOE: watching fat and calories, not carbs
Start Date: Febuary 2009
I'll admit that this is questionable for induction (because of the peanut butter), but it's pretty good if you can have peanut butter in small amounts.

Thai Peanut Chicken

4 chicken breasts (about 1 pound), cubed and stir fried in peanut oil with 1/2 tsp ginger and 1 clove of garlic until done. In a small bowl, combine 3 Tbsp natural peanut butter, 2 Tbsp water, 1 packet splenda, 1 tsp crushed red pepper and 2 Tbsp soy. Nuke the sauce for a few seconds so that it combines easily, then toss over the cooked chicken. I sometimes stir fry some red pepper, green onion, or other veggie with the chicken.
tim964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 01:41 PM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Wendalina
Stats: start: 196 goal: 165
WOE: Livin la vida LOW CARB!!!!
Start Date: September 22, 2008 - again!!!
Chicken Wings

the greatest induction food!

1lb wings (separate drums from wings)
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup hot sauce

bake at 350 for about 30 minutes, toss in the hot sauce mix

Serve with celery and ranch or blue cheese dressing.

YUM! great for watching the game tonight!
Wendalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 02:52 PM   #45
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: KellBell1234
loving this thread!!
KellBell1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 05:12 PM   #46
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim964 View Post
I'll admit that this is questionable for induction (because of the peanut butter), but it's pretty good if you can have peanut butter in small amounts.

Thai Peanut Chicken

4 chicken breasts (about 1 pound), cubed and stir fried in peanut oil with 1/2 tsp ginger and 1 clove of garlic until done. In a small bowl, combine 3 Tbsp natural peanut butter, 2 Tbsp water, 1 packet splenda, 1 tsp crushed red pepper and 2 Tbsp soy. Nuke the sauce for a few seconds so that it combines easily, then toss over the cooked chicken. I sometimes stir fry some red pepper, green onion, or other veggie with the chicken.

Sorry kids... but peanuts, or peanut butter, is not allowed during Induction. Not even in 'small amounts'. Although it sounds like a VERY tasty recipe, this is not one that can be tried during Induction.

Crockpot Chicken

2-4 chicken breasts/thighs
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup vinegar

Put chicken in crockpot. Cover with soy sauce and vinegar. Let cook on low 6-8 hours. Serve. You can also add a couple pieces of ginger to this.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:40 PM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tink81
WOE: atkins
For those of you who love miracle whip buy some mayo then add splenda to taste. We use liquid splenda then you still have legal miracle whip and you fill your want for it.
tink81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 09:16 PM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: yboggie
Stats: 183(due to prego Wt)/156/130
WOE: Atkin
Start Date: Oct. 15. 07
great thread
yboggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 09:21 PM   #49
Not Jake

Gallery: Jake
WOE: Plain old Atkins
Start Date: 8/22/1973
Thread tag.

I am SOOOOOOOOOO putting all this into Krecipe tomorrow!!
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 12:08 PM   #50
Major LCF Poster!

Another staple I had was cream cheese (1/3 less fat Philly has the least carbs). I would soften 8 oz, mix in some herbs, a little garlic powder, a little onion powder, whatever. I'd put this into a small container in the fridge.

Whenever I felt peckish I'd have a dab with some celery or, to change the taste of fish, chicken or burgers, I toss a spoonful onto them. DELISH!

I would have to say to anyone out there on Induction that feels 'bored', it is SO EASY to change it up! I invested about $15 in different spices, some from Mrs. Dash, some from the hispanic aisle, some just to try something new! I could literally eat a burger for breakfast, lunch and dinner and not have the same tasting burger twice in a month!

Also, check around for different kinds of cheeses. Don't just grab a block or a bag of shredded cheese from the case! Go to the deli section and get 1/4 pound of different cheeses you've never tried before! You ARE allowed up to 4oz of cheese a day on Induction, and they usually cut the cheese (giggling) into 1/2 ounce slices. Adding a different flavoured cheese to your diet makes things interesting! (Still check to see the carb count beforehand. If you ask, they will tell you)

This is also a good time to get some variety into your diet. Try veggies you've never tried before! Try some in a different way!:

Golden Brussels:

Bag of frozen baby brussel sprouts, thawed
1/2 stick BUTTER

Melt butter in frying pan. Pour in the sprouts and toss to coat well with the butter. Let them fry over med-high heat until golden/crispy. Sprinkle with a little salt and serve. 100 grams is only 8g carbs - 2g fibre for 6g NET carbs.

Pumpkin Shake

2oz canned cooked pumpkin (NOT the pumpkin pie, regular pumpkin)
2oz heavy cream
2oz vanilla SF Davinci (or other brand) syrup
6oz water
2 handfuls ice
1t pumpkin pie spice

Toss everything in a blender and whirl away! As written there is 6g carbs - 1g fibre for 5 NET carbs in this shake. (232 calories)
Old 11-14-2007, 02:29 PM   #51
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
(1/3 less fat Philly has the least carbs
REALLY? I never even looked. I thought that all lower fat stuff is higher carb. Just goes to show how important it is to look at labels. Course I buy generic cream cheese.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:32 PM   #52
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Also, check around for different kinds of cheeses. Don't just grab a block or a bag of shredded cheese from the case! Go to the deli section and get 1/4 pound of different cheeses you've never tried before! You ARE allowed up to 4oz of cheese a day on Induction, and they usually cut the cheese (giggling) into 1/2 ounce slices. Adding a different flavoured cheese to your diet makes things interesting! (Still check to see the carb count beforehand. If you ask, they will tell you)
Keeping in mind that Portwine Cheese and most processed cheeses are not adviseable though.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:34 PM   #53
Blabbermouth!!!

Deila- You are my new hero. lol. I have been looking at the dang Dairy Queen pumpkin blizzard ad for over a month now and it is seriously getting to me. But you gave me a delcious sounding alternative that I think would make it perfect, except I would have to whip up some heavy cream and add a dollop to the top.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:34 PM   #54
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
REALLY? I never even looked. I thought that all lower fat stuff is higher carb. Just goes to show how important it is to look at labels. Course I buy generic cream cheese.
Usually, the generic brand has 2g carbs per ounce, regular Philly has 1g per ounce and 1/3 less fat has <1g per ounce. I guess whatever your preference is... but I never tasted ANY difference between any of the brands or fat content.

Quote:
Keeping in mind that Portwine Cheese and most processed cheeses are not adviseable though.
Thanks for pointing that out! I should have been clearer and said hard cheeses.

Quote:
Deila- You are my new hero. lol. I have been looking at the dang Dairy Queen pumpkin blizzard ad for over a month now and it is seriously getting to me. But you gave me a delcious sounding alternative that I think would make it perfect, except I would have to whip up some heavy cream and add a dollop to the top.
Well, if counting calories as well, AND you can spare a couple extra carbs, you can use Hood Calorie Countdown milk! And I am glad you like the recipe! DH (NOT a LC person) absolutely ADORES this shake and has asked for one at least 3-4 times a week!

~D
Old 11-14-2007, 07:56 PM   #55
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Thanks for pointing that out! I should have been clearer and said hard cheeses.
lol! Yep, spread = middle age spread... lol. IF you know what I mean...
Old 11-15-2007, 07:14 AM   #56
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
lol! Yep, spread = middle age spread... lol. IF you know what I mean...
I know NUZZINK about middle age....(slowly regressing from 37 to 12....)

Another HUGE staple during Induction, and even for me now, are QUICHES. With how easy this is, and how versatile this is, I am surprised it isn't pushed more by old-bies on to the newbies!

Basic Quiche

8 eggs
6 ounces meat that is already cooked
4 ounces cheese, shredded
2 oz veggies
1T herbs or spices of your choice
1/4C water or heavy cream or milk

Blend eggs and liquid together well. Stir in the rest of the ingredients. Pour into a greased pie plate or baking dish and bake @350 until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean, usually 20-45 minutes (depending on which type of dish you use to bake it in).

8 servings. Stores in the refrigerator, in a storage bowl, covered, for up to 10 days. Also can be frozen.

EGGS:Now, you can separate the eggs if, like me, you aren't a huge yolk eater. I think, as long as there are 4 yolks in the whole thing, you can substitute the rest of the eggs with the whites, at a 2 for 1 ratio (two whites for every yolk left out).

MEAT:Oh if this isn't the easiest of the bunch. I normally grab one of those packages of pre-sliced ham or chicken or turkey ([COLOR="Red"]watch the salt content though![/COLOR]) and cut those into bite sized pieces. Also, cooked sausage, hamburger and cooked bacon work well. Leftover meats work well too! It doesn't really matter HOW they are cooked as long as they are cooked.

CHEESE: Another easy one. ANY hard cheese that's been grated (again, keep track of how many carbs there are per ounce because even the hard cheeses vary).

VEGGIES: Onion, cooked broccoli, cooked cauliflower, sliced mushrooms, zuchinni, cooked asparagus, green beans. The list goes on and on!

The herbs and spices are to your taste. I am a HUGE garlic fan so I use garlic a LOT! I am also a HUGE fan of the different spice blends by Mrs. Dash.

Italian Quiche

8 eggs
3 oz pepperoni
3 oz cooked sausage
3 oz mozzerella
1 oz parmesan
1 oz onion
1 oz mushroom
1/2T garlic powder
1/2T red pepper flake (or use all garlic powder)
1/4C Hunts NSA spaghetti sauce (or other LC sauce)

Blend everything together EXCEPT the parmesan cheese. Bake @350 for 30 minutes (or until inserted knife comes out clean) shake the parmesan on top and serve.

Haughty Quiche

8 eggs
6 oz chicken
4 oz baby swiss
2 oz cooked asparagus
1T lemon pepper
1/4 C heavy cream

Blend together and bake for about 25 minutes ( or until you can do the knife trick). Serve each slice with a pat of butter and a squeeze of lemon on top.

HTH
~Deila
Old 11-15-2007, 12:03 PM   #57
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jimzgrl
Stats: 245/217.4/170
WOE: Still figuring it out!
Start Date: Restart-Everyday!!
You guys are so awesome with these recipes! I tried the Pumpkin Shake last night I only had sf caramel syrup so I used that and it tasted good. Bought some sf vanilla today, will try that for a snack later! All the quiches sound great too, DH will like those.
Thanks again!!
jimzgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 02:16 PM   #58
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Snickerdoolers
Stats: 252.8/--/150
WOE: Atkins
Marking my spot!!
Snickerdoolers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 11:20 AM   #59
Blabbermouth!!!

A few more! Sorry I am late with these. Rough week with the kids last week and TOM is beating me with a 2x4.

Beware of this, you can easily eat the whole thing in one sitting if you aren't careful, it is that good.

White Castle Hamburger Pie

By: Linda Sue

1 lb ground beef (leaner the better otherwise it bubbles over and stinks)
1 pkt onion soup mix or seasoning mixture (noted in recipe)
2 eggs
1/2 c. mayonnaise
1/4 c. heavy cream
8 oz cheddar cheese, shredded
salt and pepper

If you want to save a few carbs, you can use onion powder and dry minced onion in place of the soup mix (which Gettin did). I used 2 tsp toasted onion powder (available from Penzeys or use regular) and 1 tbsp dry minced onion. I also sprinkled a little onion powder in with the egg/mayonnaise mixture. If you do it this way: 476 cals; 41 g. fat; 24 g. protein; 3g carbs; trace dietary fiber; 2.5g net carbs (compared to 16 carbs for soup mix)

Brown the hamburger with about half the onion soup mix or seasoning mixture; drain fat and season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in remaining soup mix or seasoning mix and put meat into a greased 9-10 in pie plate stir in 1/2 cheese, then top with remaining cheese. Beat eggs, mayonnaise, cream and a dash of pepper (and remember onion powder). Pour evenly over meat. Bake at 350 for 30-35 mins. Let stand 10 minutes before serving (good luck with that!)

Can be frozen.

Makes 6-8 servings

490 cals; 41g fat; 25g protein, 5g carbs; 1g dietary fiber; 4g net carbs

Linda- Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes - Home
Old 11-18-2007, 06:12 PM   #60
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: vickigabri
Stats: 145 5'2" goal 120
WOE: any good low carb!
Start Date: low carb for yrs
supper easy

i have frozen shredded zukes in the freezer ( things were coming out of my ears this summer!)so it makes this really easy and fast. i'm sick of eggs but they don't seem real obvious in this!

Joanna's Super Skillet Breakfast **** fast & easy

1 small zucchini, grated and drained _thoroughly_
1/2 small onion, chopped
3 strips of bacon
2 eggs
2 T. Parmesan cheese

Directions:
1. Cut bacon into small peices and fry in skillet until 3/4 cooked. Do not
remove from heat.
2. Add onion to pan and continue to cook.
3. When onions begin to soften, add zucchini. Let the mixture cook until
zucchini is soft and some shreds are beginning to brown.
4. Scramble eggs and add to skillet. Stir everything like you're making
scrambled eggs.
5. Move to plate and sprinkle cheese over mixture.
To cut time off this recipe, shred and drain zucchini ahead of time.
note use of linda's grading system!

Last edited by vickigabri; 11-18-2007 at 06:14 PM.. Reason: idot!typo
vickigabri is offline   Reply With Quote