Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   How about Monkey Bread..the LC way? Kevin? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/523442-how-about-monkey-bread-lc-way-kevin.html)

CarolynF 10-29-2007 12:32 PM

How about Monkey Bread..the LC way? Kevin?

I'm at my dd's house..She just had thyroid surgery..Paula Deen was making that
yummy coffee cake..

Frozen dinner rolls
Butterscotch pudding mix
1/2 cup pecans
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 stick of melted butter.

Place the little balls of frozen dough in the bottom of a sprayed tube pan..Layer about 3 layers..Sprinkle dry butterscotch instant pudding over the top Sprinkle pecans, brown sugar..Pour melted butter over the top..

Cover this will a towel and let set overnight until raised..Bake at 350 around 30-40 minutes until done..

Invert and serve.

I think we could use Kevin's little yeast rolls (the Pita bread recipe)..and do the same thing with SF everything..Wait maybe an hour until it rises (as the
dough won't be frozen)..Then bake..

What do you guys think?? Kevin????

magnamater 10-29-2007 12:35 PM

I'm not Kevin,but here is something similar. . .and I was talking about Monkey Bread too! Great minds. . .

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ffee-cake.html

I think this is a winner!

CarolynF 10-29-2007 04:19 PM

This is too wierd..Thanks for that recipe, Magna...and Kevin for his great flour..

Tater Head 10-29-2007 04:45 PM

Carolyn, I love that idea, Kevin's #4 bread dough would work I bet.

Debbie

Tater Head 10-29-2007 04:52 PM

here is the ingredients, she says NO instant pudding, I don't think the butterscotch comes in sf cook & serve?

16 to 18 unbaked frozen dinner rolls
1 (3-ounce) package regular butterscotch pudding mix, not instant
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup pecans, chopped
1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, melted

CarolynF 10-29-2007 08:22 PM

You are right..Vanilla and chocolate are the only flavors...maybe vanilla would work.

Kevinpa 10-29-2007 10:48 PM

I think I agree with Janie, I would you the dough from the glazed coffee cake if I were going to make monkeybread.

Tweaker Geek 10-30-2007 07:57 AM

Magna- Wow! Thanks for posting the link to the coffee cake - I don't know how I ever missed that one :doh:, it looks delish and will go on my list of things to try.

Kevin - Another wonderful recipe - thank you!

stephdray 10-31-2007 06:50 PM

Ask and you shall receive

This recipe was great and certainly company worthy--in fact, I served it to friends tonight. And it doesn't taste low carb. Unfortunately, it tasted more like a cinnamon coffee cake than monkey bread. This might be because I overcooked the dough and because the sweeteners and butter didn't form the wet syrup that most monkey bread has.

If I make this again, I would use some blackstrap molasses in a butter sauce to wet the thing down and to take it out of the oven sooner. But it was still amazingly delicious.

Dough:
3 cups lc cake and cookie flour mix
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp splenda quick pack (or other concentrated sweetener)
1 tsp REAL SUGAR (It's for the yeast. They eat it.)
2 tsp quick yeast
1/2 cup Carb Countdown milk (or almond milk)
1/8 cup butter
1 large egg

Coating:
1 Cup Granular Sugar Replacement (I used Erythritol/Splenda/Ace-K)
2 T Cinnamon
1/4 cup melted butter

Icing:
1/4 cup powdered erythritol
1 T not/Sugar
2 T Heavy Whipping Cream (or water for a lighter glaze)

Directions

1. Grease a bundt pan and set aside.
2. Combine dry dough ingredients in a separate bowl
3. In an electric mixing bowl, combine wet dough ingredients, then, using dough hooks, add flour and knead for about 10 minutes until dough is smooth and pliable. Dough may be too wet--mine was--so add more flour a little at a time until it's workable.
4. Divide dough into little balls.
5. Set dough balls in a draft-free location to rise for about 1-2 hours.
6. In a zip-lock bag, mix granular sweetener and cinnamon.
7. When dough has doubled in size, dip each one in the melted butter, then drop into the ziplock bag and shake until coated.
8. Drop coated balls of dough into the bundt pan.
9. Bake at 375 for 20 minutes, but keep an eye on it because it's better undercooked than over.
10. Mix up icing ingredients. Drizzle over cooled monkey bread.

This is not the best picture because the icing is hiding all the little balls of monkey bread goodness. But, still.

http://pics.livejournal.com/stephdra...8sdy4/s320x240

Tweaker Geek 11-01-2007 09:18 AM

Hey Steph! You have the same dishes I do. Don't you love that ivy pattern?

By the way, the monkey bread looks good too!

chrismiss 11-01-2007 10:56 AM

Monkey Bread

That looks delicious Steph,

Thanks for making it and giving us pictures too.

barbo

stephdray 11-01-2007 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tweaker Geek (Post 9442158)
Hey Steph! You have the same dishes I do. Don't you love that ivy pattern?

By the way, the monkey bread looks good too!

I do love them! And I especially like how lightweight they are. I would never go back to stonewear after having this ;)