Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2007, 12:40 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: liza15
Stats: 165/125
Any great low carb Thanksgiving side dishes

Looking for some great Thanksgiving side dishes....but no califlower ones
liza15 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2007, 02:06 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bamainhawaii
Stats: 165(HW)142/139/115 5'2"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Jan 2005-Restart 12-17-12
I love to do sauteed brussel sprouts with bacon, green beans, maybe roasted aparagus, broccoli and cheese, baked sweet potato(if you're in OWL or maintenance), turnip greens, baked turnips.
bamainhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 03:10 PM   #3
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: hdyhouse
Stats: 335/211/195
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2003
My first Thanksgiving on l/c, I made zucchini carbonara. I rich dish that I continue to use, especially for entertaining. Afterall, what's not to like about a recipe that begins by cooking bacon in some olive oil?
ZUCCHINI CARBONARA
3 medium to large zucchini
1 Tablespoon olive oil
5 slices bacon cut into small pieces
2 cloves minced garlic
½ cup chopped onion
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup grated parmesan cheese

Add olive oil to a large skillet over medium heat. Add bacon and cook until brown but not crispy. Add garlic and onion and cook, stirring often until onion is soft.
Add cream and cook for a few minutes.
Add cheese, stir to combine and remove from heat. (If sauce is too thick, just stir in some water until the desired consistency is reached.)

Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Prepare zucchini by cutting off the ends and, using a vegetable peeler, peeling the skin. Discard the skin. Use the peeler, peel the zucchini in long strips until you reach the seeds. (I have found that if you repeat the strips from the same area 3 or 4 times before rotating slightly to begin the next set of strips, you end up with much wider strips which hold up better.) Discard the center part of the zucchini. When all zucchini strips are ready, place them in the pot of boiling water. Leave in the water for 1 minute to blanche. (Water will not have time to come back to a boil after adding the zucchini.) Drain zucchini in a colander and press to remove excess water. While draining, put sauce back on the medium heat and bring to a simmer. Add zucchini, toss and serve.

This recipe has approximately 32 to 38 net carbs, depending on the size of the zucchini. It will serve 4-8, depending on the size of serving with a net carb count of 8-9 for 4 servings or 4-5 for 8 servings.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:39 PM   #4
Typos, Typos, As Far As The Eye Can See...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prosciutto-Wrapped Asparagus

24 Asparagus spears, about 1.5lbs., trimmed
12 thin slices Prosciutto (6oz.) halved lengthwise
1.5tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
2 tsp lemon zest
1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
1/4 tsp. salt
pinch pepper

Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to boil. Add Asparagus and cook until crips-tender--about 3 min.

Drain and transfer to a bowl of ice water, cool about 2 min. and pat dry.

Wrap each asparagus spear with one piece of prosciutto. Place lengthwise on a serving tray.

Combine oil, zest, lemon juice, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Mix well. Use a pastry brush to coat wrapped asparagus with dressing. Serve immediately.

------------------------------------------------

Green Beans (Southern Style)
Submitted by: fifi

Servings: 4 as a side

I invented this one day when I had a sudden craving for green beans. (???) I wanted to make them more delicious without losing the green beans in the process. The answer was to go a bit over the top with seasonings without getting so complicated that the beans got lost. The following recipe is what I came up with and has since become an addictive vegetable. Some in my family have been known to eat nothing else… for breakfast. The recipe is for one pound but I usually cook at least two. Just multiply accordingly.

—1 lb Fresh green beans
—5 Pieces thick sliced bacon
—1 Large white onion
—1 c Chicken broth
Salt & pepper to taste

Immerse the green beans in a sink full of cold water and swish around. This will get any grit off of them. Snap off any ugly ends and snap into about 1 inch pieces. Set aside.

Cut the bacon strips crosswise into 1 inch pieces. In a heavy pot, big enough to hold all of the ingredients, cook the bacon on medium heat until all fat is rendered and the pieces are crispy. This is done relatively slowly so that all fat is rendered without the bacon becoming over browned. You will have to stir occasionally to ensure even browning. If you must, tip the pot and remove some of the bacon fat. For God's sake, don't remove all of it. (Reserve if you want to try the variation noted later.)

Chop the onion into a medium dice. Add to the pot, sprinkle sparingly with salt, add fresh ground pepper to taste (I like a lot) and continue to cook over medium heat until thoroughly cooked and beginning to caramelize. Stir occasionally to ensure even cooking and caramelization without burning on the bottom. You will probably have to scrape the bottom from time to time.

Add the green beans and chicken broth. Bring to a fast simmer, but not a hard boil. Cover and cook for about an hour or more, stirring occasionally. We are NOT going for al dente here. You want thoroughly stewed green beans, tender and luscious. Remove the cover and continue to simmer until the liquid cooks down by about half. Taste for salt and adjust if necessary.

Notes:

Pay attention to the cooking times. This is important. You can't rush well done crispy bacon, well caramelized onions, or thoroughly stewed green beans that develop a wonderful sweetness. (I have been accused of adding sugar.) Cooking down the "pot liquor" is also an important step.

A variation is to take 1 to 2 tablespoons of reserved bacon fat, combine with 1 tablespoon flour in a small frying pan, and make a medium roux. Add the roux to the beans when you take the lid off. Stir to combine with the liquid and cook until the consistency of the liquid suits you.

This is a good recipe to make ahead for a dinner. Just reheat, but please don't microwave. The variation with the roux can be put into a casserole dish. Sprinkle some of those French fried onion things or breadcrumbs on top and reheat in the oven.

----------------------------------

Italian Stuffed Mushrooms

Mushrooms of choices-(fresh not canned) [COLOR="Red"] I used white. Could use med portabellas or whatever[/COLOR]
cream cheese
Italian sausages
green onions
fresh minced garlic (I use it out of the jar)
garlic powder
butter
pepper
salt
shredded cheese or sliced "white" cheese like provolone, mozzarella, muenster...

Use each of these ingredients in the proportion that you like to your taste.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Pull the stems out of the mushroom caps and set aside. Turn caps rounded side up/flat side down into a shallow baking pan. Melt butter in microwave and mix in garlic powder to taste. Brush garlic butter onto outside of caps and put in the oven for about 15 min. Take out and cool.

While caps are baking slice sausage skin lengthwise and scoop ground pork out and into a skillet. Cook on medium heat and break up into small pieces as you go. While sausage is cooking chop mushroom stems and green onions. When sausage is done remove from skillet to drain and add onions, stems, and minced fresh garlic (to taste) salt and pepper. Saute until stems are cooked thru. start w/half a block of cream cheese and slice into small pieces. Add to skillet. As it melts stir in sausage a little at a time until you have the proportions you want. You may want to add more cream cheese and less sausage or vice versa. Make sure you have crumbled bigger pieces of sausage by hand before adding back in to cream cheese mixture.....Let the mixture cool and then pack by hand into the caps.

place the stuffed caps back into the pan and bake at 350 until they look a little crusty on top. Add shredded or sliced white cheese of your choice and bake until it melts. Serve hot.

[COLOR="red"]I freeze the extra sausage and use it whenever I make this. I just keep it in a tupperware container and spoon out what I need. Instead of cooking the stems in grease I cook it in a little butter then add the sausage frozen. It just thaws as you go then because it is already fully cooked....These are so good it is hard to believe it! They dissappear immediately at social functions and nobody knows they are low carb....They reheat great in the microwave too! [/COLOR]

[COLOR="red"]Something out of the "ordinary" for T-giving.....[/COLOR]

Dreamfields Spaghetti with Asparagus, Smoked Mozzarella and Prosciutto

Spaghetti with Asparagus, Smoked Mozzarella and Prosciutto
Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis

Show: Everyday Italian
Episode: Family Favorites

Recipe Summary
Difficulty: Easy
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Yield: 6 to 8 servings

2 pounds asparagus, trimmed
3/4 pound Dreamfields spaghetti
4 tablespoons olive oil
4 garlic cloves, minced
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
6 ounces thinly sliced Prosciutto, cut crosswise into strips
6 ounces smoked mozzarella cheese, diced (about 1 cup)
6 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh basil leaves

Cook the asparagus in a large pot of boiling salted water until crisp tender, about 2 to 3 minutes. With a spider or slotted spoon, remove asparagus from boiling water to a bowl of ice water to cool and stop the cooking. When cool, strain, cut asparagus into 1-inch pieces, and set aside.

Return the water in the pot to a boil, adding additional water, if necessary. Add the pasta and cook until al dente, tender but still firm to the bite, about 8 minutes. Drain the pasta, reserving 1 cup of the cooking liquid.

Heat the oil in a heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 20 seconds. Add asparagus to the skillet. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Add the pasta, and if needed, some of the reserved cooking liquid. Toss to coat. Add the Prosciutto, mozzarella, and basil, and toss to combine. Turn off the heat. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and serve hot!

Squash Casserole

[Ingredients:

sliced yellow squash (amt. depends on how many ppl you are feeding)
sliced onion (or you could omit and use onoin powder to taste)
Butter
Splenda
Pecan Meal
Grated Parmesan Cheese
Mrs. Dash
Granulated Garlic
Salt
Pepper

*The ratio of squash to onion should be about 1/5 onion and 4/5 squash

**ratio of meal/cheese is 1/4cheese to 3/4 pecan meal. Amt determined by amt. you are making.

Steam squash and onion in a steamer until tender. Drain well as the squash can produce a lot of water. Add squash, onion, and butter together in a bowl-mash with a potato masher...leaving it a little chunky. Butter will make it a bit watery but thats ok. Season liberally w/spices, especially salt. Sprinkle a little splenda in it too to take care of any squash that might be slightly bitter. Mix it all up good. Pour into a casserole dish, top with a mixture of pecan meal and P. cheese. put in the oven at 350 until meal/cheese has formed a little crust on top, squash is bubbling and it smells divine.

[COLOR="Red"]
I heat some of this back up in the oven or microwave and eat w/meat at breakfast....it is fabulous.....
[/COLOR]

---------------------------

[COLOR="red"]a little "higher" in carbs but OMG![/COLOR]

Herb-Roasted Onions

Copyright 2007, Ina Garten, All Rights Reserved
See this recipe on air Monday Oct. 15 at 12:00 PM ET/PT.

2 red onions
1 yellow onion
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 tablespoon minced fresh thyme leaves
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup good olive oil
1/2 tablespoon minced fresh parsley leaves

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Remove the stem end of each onion and carefully slice off the brown part of the root end, leaving the root intact. Peel the onion. Stand each onion root end up on a cutting board and cut the onion in wedges through the root. Place the wedges in a bowl.

For the dressing, combine the lemon juice, mustard, garlic, thyme, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Slowly whisk in the olive oil. Pour the dressing over the onions and toss well.

With a slotted spoon, transfer the onions to a sheet pan, reserving the vinaigrette that remains in the bowl. Bake the onions for 30 to 45 minutes, until tender and browned. Toss the onions once during cooking. Remove from the oven, and drizzle with the reserved dressing. Sprinkle with parsley, season to taste and serve warm or at room temperature.

Recipe Summary
Difficulty: Easy
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Yield: 3 servings
User Rating:

Episode#: IG0910
Copyright © 2006 Television Food Network, G.P., All Rights Reserved

---------------------------------------------

Brussel Sprouts with Italian Sausages!!

[COLOR="red"]found this at in the recipe room last year. It is SO GOOD! I did add pearl onions and ommitted the dried onion.[/COLOR]

Quote:
Brussel Sprouts with Italian Sausages!!

Wow! This was delicious

I took one bag of frozen brussel sprouts and nuked them in the bag for about 2 minutes just to thaw a bit. I then put them in a casserole dish and cut 3 italian sausages over the brussel sprouts. I then splashed some olive oil on it and seasoned it with my favorites: kosher salt, minced dried onion, garlic powder and pepper. I mixed it all up to make sure it was coated in the oil and put the dish in the oven at 400. I love things REALLY well done, almost burnt and left it in for one hour. Can you spell Nirvana? The flavors were unbelivable. The brussel sprouts were almost black and so were the sausages! The bad news is that I ate the whole thing. Still need to get a handle on the portion control!

Marieze

[COLOR="red"]good stuff! all of it![/COLOR]
Woman Typing Badly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 06:08 PM   #5

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
This is one of my families favorites.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...casserole.html
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 10:57 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dizneegirl
These are in our permanent Thanksgiving menu:

Sausage Stuffing

Recipe By: Lisa Hunt
Categories: Beef/Pork

1 pound sausage -- seasoned
2 large onions -- finely chopped
3 stalks celery -- finely chopped (3 to 4)
2 tablespoons butter -- (2 to 4)
1 head cabbage -- finely chopped
15 ounces chicken broth -- canned
3 eggs -- beaten
Seasonings

This has all the taste of real stuffing, without the bread. You won't miss the bread and can "stuff" yourself as much as you like.

Saute your onion and celery in the butter. Add sausage, brown, crumbling the sausage finely. Let the oils and butter brown on the bottom of the pan to get that great carbonation flavor. Add seasonings you like such as thyme, oregano, pepper, salt, to taste. My sausage was preseasoned, so I just added pepper. Add cabbage and continue cooking. Add chicken broth to moisten as dish starts to get dry. I ended up using a whole can. Cook until cabbage is cooked and tender. Put in a 3-4 qt baking dish and add the eggs. Bake in 350 degree oven for 20-30 minutes. Actually we didn't have an oven when I made this and we cooked ours in the microwave for five minutes. You may need to adjust some things to get it the way you like dressing.

2486 Calories; 222g Fat (80.8% calories from fat); 83g Protein;
36g Carbohydrate; 8g Dietary Fiber; 932mg Cholesterol; 4908mg Sodium.

--

Here's a low-carb version of an old family recipe... not quite the French's recipe, but very good, and a little tangy.

Dizneegirl's Green Bean Casserole

3 tablespoons butter, melted
1 cup onion, diced fine
1 cup sour cream
2 cans green beans, canned
salt and pepper, to taste
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Sunkist bacon and cheese sliced almonds

Preheat oven to 350F.

Melt butter in bottom of casserole dish.

Add diced onions, salt and pepper, and place in heated oven for 10 minutes.

Mix in green beans, sour cream, and 1/3 cup of cheese, along with any more salt and pepper to taste.

Place remainder of shredded cheese on top of casserole. Bake for 30 minutes. Add handful of bacon & cheese sliced almonds on top, place back in oven for an additional 5-10 minutes.

--

And there are some more in here: Thanksgiving Recipes
Old 10-17-2007, 12:38 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: momov2boys
Thanks for sharing, everyone.
I'm marking my spot!
momov2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 06:50 PM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: walkingwoman
WOE: maintaining 124-128 range
Start Date: 2/1/13
Dottie's green bean casserole is a staple at our dinner. Everyone raves about it
walkingwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 05:42 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CreekWatcher
Henry, the zucchini carbonara sounds good, and although for some reason it seemed like an odd idea at first--now I think it sounds like something that would be tremendous with turkey.
CreekWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 08:57 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
I think these look promising, thanks mainly to LindaSue!

[Bhttp://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/flaxbun_vegetable_stuffing.html
Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes
[/B]
magnamater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 08:58 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
Forgot this!
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...heese-dip.html
magnamater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 12:58 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: liza15
Stats: 165/125
I was kind of dreading Thanksgiving this year, because I planned on refraining from the goodies.....but these entree's look fabulous!!! I am getting excited- will definately be trying some.....KEEP 'EM COMIN" !
liza15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 07:32 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Wendalina
Stats: start: 196 goal: 165
WOE: Livin la vida LOW CARB!!!!
Start Date: September 22, 2008 - again!!!
just want to keep track of all these WONDERFUL dishes....
Wendalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 08:59 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gettingsmaller
bump
gettingsmaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 12:22 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: momov2boys
I have ordered a Honeybaked ham's roasted turkey breast (w/o the glaze).

I am making Dizneegirl's sausage stuffing and green bean casserole (w/o almonds).
Thanks for posting your recipes, Dizneegirl!

I'm also making Jody's pumkpin bake:

That (plus lovely white wine) will be our Thanksgiving dinner menu!

Last edited by momov2boys; 11-03-2007 at 12:23 PM..
momov2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 12:48 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Crink
[COLOR="DarkOrange"]3-Layer Jello Salad or Dessert [/COLOR]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's a great Jell-O dish for the holidays. It's been around before, but worth revisiting. It is sooooooooooo delicious and beautiful!

Jell-o Salad

In a glass cup sprinkle
1 envelope Knox Gelatine over 1 C cold water.
Let stand 2 minutes and microwave on high until hot.
Stir until completely dissolved.

With an electric mixer, soften:

16 oz. cream cheese
SF sweetener to equal the sweetness of 3/4 C sugar

Add:
softened Knox gelatine and mix thoroughly

Add:
A shot of SF Vanilla Torani Syrup
1/3 cup mayonnaise
2 Tbs. SF vanilla instant pudding mix (dry)
Mix thoroughly and pour into bottom of 9X13 glass pan.

When nearly set, Pour on
1 lg. pkg Orange Jell-O made with 3 3/4 cups water which has been "cooled-until-syrupy"

Let set until firm.

Before serving, top with whipped cream to which is added a dash of SF French Vanilla syrup and 1 tsp. vanilla instant pudding mix. (dry)

The varriations are endless. The cream-cheese layer is what makes it so great!!! The Orange one is MY favorite and DH's too!

I also tried mixing the cream cheese layer with the orange jello. It was pretty good and tasted quite different for some strange reason. It was a nice change.

Raspberry on the bottom, Cream Cheese layer in the middle and Lime on the top is beautiful and tasty for Christmas or any time! Whipped cream on top of course (licking lips).....

We like Raspberry on the bottom, cream cheese middle and lemon on the top with whipped cream.

This is too good. I don't know the carb counts. Maybe someone can figure it out and post it here! I hope you enjoy this, Crink
Crink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 02:06 PM   #17

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
If you make it with powdered Splenda I come up with 56.3 carbs for the whole batch. 6 servings would be 9.38 and 8 servings would be 7.03. The instant pudding has 24 carbs per box.
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 05:28 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yummy's_Girl
Stats: 168/134/130-135
WOE: A way of my own
Start Date: June 2006
I'm sure you could use the SF cook N Serve to make it, and it has less carbs
Yummy's_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 08:10 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tink81
WOE: atkins
How bout green bean casserole the cambells way.

I am not sure what to use for the fried onions but I love it without em

2 cans of french style green beans
1 can of cream of chicken and mushroom soup

Mix together and either bake at 350 for 30 minutes or microwave for 10 minutes.

If anyone has any ideas though for me to get the fried onions lc I would love to know how.
tink81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 08:22 PM   #20

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yummy's_Girl View Post
I'm sure you could use the SF cook N Serve to make it, and it has less carbs
It has 4 carbs less but if you use Sweetzfree you could save a lot of carbs.
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 12:59 PM   #21

Gallery: Rory
Stats: 20W/14M/8
T-Giving

Rutabagas. Boiled Mashed Lots of Cream and Butter! Just make sure everyone knows they are not Sweet Potatos! At her first TGiving dinner at our house my poot future DIL took a big mouthful of rutabagas and swallowed them down then leaned over and whispered to my son "OMG somethings terribly wrong with the sweet potatos, should we tell your mom?" She had never had rutabagas and was unfamiliar with the flavor.
She likes them now but when her first bite she expecting candied sweet potatoes??? ...... what a shock! We'll never let her live it down!! It became her first "family story" to be part of, lol.

Rory
Old 11-04-2007, 04:28 PM   #22
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: sasasota
Stats: 301/173/140
WOE: LC
Start Date: March 15, 2006
This is a family recipe that we have used for years and years. It is not very low in calorie, but it is not too bad in carbs(if you don't over do it)

Pearl Onions

As many pearl onions as you have the patience to peel (we usually buy 4-5 one pound bags)
Heavy cream
Real butter

Peel all the onions and put them in a pot(I use a crock pot)
Cover about an inch over with heavy cream (a couple quarts)
Use 2 cubes real butter per quart of heavy cream(yes 2 cubes)

Cook on low about 4-5 hours and season with salt and pepper to taste. They ment in your mouth and are so wonderful!

Started March 2006
301/173/140

"Dance like no one is watching"
sasasota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 06:57 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 3leggedtable
Stats: 244/191/184 6 feet
WOE: general low carb
Start Date: 1-29-2007
Hi Sasasota,

An easy way to peel pearl onions is to flash boil them for two minutes. Then drain them in cold water. Cut the root end off and just pop the skin right off.

Pearl onions is one of my signature dishes for Thanksgiving.

Happy cooking.
3leggedtable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 07:09 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3leggedtable View Post
Hi Sasasota,

An easy way to peel pearl onions is to flash boil them for two minutes. Then drain them in cold water. Cut the root end off and just pop the skin right off.

Happy cooking.
[COLOR="Red"]would you pleasepleaseplease post the recipe for your signature dish? I love pearl onions.......[/COLOR]

Last edited by Woman Typing Badly; 11-05-2007 at 07:11 AM..
Old 11-05-2007, 03:17 PM   #25

Gallery: Pami
WOE: LC JUDDD
Holiday Jell-O Salad

* Exported from MasterCook *

Holiday Jell-O Salad

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 16 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Salad

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
16 ounces crushed pineapple in water
water
1 teaspoon lemon juice
2 packages sugar-free lime gelatin -- 4 serving size
1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup heavy cream
2 cups cottage cheese
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup celery -- diced
liquid Splenda -- optional, to taste

Drain pineapple, set aside. Add water to pineapple liquid to measure 2
cups. Stir in lemon juice.

Bring to a boil; stir in gelatin powder until dissolved.

Fold in remaining ingredients. Taste and add Splenda, if needed.

Turn into a pretty serving dish and chill until firm.

Or chill in a rectangular cake pan and cut into squares when set and serve
on a lettuce leaf

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 243 Calories; 22g Fat (80.0%
calories from fat); 7g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 28mg
Cholesterol; 270mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 1 Lean Meat; 0
Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 3 Fat.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 5739 0 0 0 0 0 0

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it by the book...
It's not a stall when you're cheating!
If you don't want to do something, one excuse is as good as any other. (Yiddish Proverb)
~Proud to be a Famous Banta Babe~
Pami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 03:24 PM   #26

Gallery: Pami
WOE: LC JUDDD
Golden Rutabaga Casserole

* Exported from MasterCook *

Golden Rutabaga Casserole

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Holiday Side Dish
Vegetable

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 rutabaga -- trimmed and cubed
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup sour cream
2 Tablespoons butter -- melted
1 Tablespoon dehydrated onion flakes
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
salt -- to taste

1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Steam rutabaga until tender.

Remove from heat; let stand until cool.

Coarsely shred rutabaga. Preheat oven to 350F.

Combine remaining ingredients, except for 1/4 cup of cheese,
in a medium bowl.

Add rutabaga, stirring lightly.

Turn into a 1-quart casserole dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.

Bake 35 minutes, or until heated through.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 335 Calories; 30g Fat (78.2%
calories from fat); 11g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 78mg
Cholesterol; 316mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1 1/2 Lean Meat;
0 Non-Fat Milk; 5 Fat.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Pami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 05:25 PM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Tammy - we love pearl onions, thanks for the crock pot idea. What is a cube of butter? I assume it's a stick= 1/2 cup= 1/4 lb., correct?
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 05:57 PM   #28
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3leggedtable View Post
Hi Sasasota,

Happy cooking.
OMG! Your my hero. I am peeling them like that this year. The kids will be so excited tht they don't have to peel them by hand!
Old 11-05-2007, 06:34 PM   #29
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Yes tweaker geek, a cube is a stick. These pearl onions are always everyones favorite. We can never make enough, we seriously make tons of them. Sometimes 2 crockpots just so that we have a few leftovers. the second day is always better, they just don't normally last that long.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:57 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasasota View Post
Yes tweaker geek, a cube is a stick. These pearl onions are always everyones favorite. We can never make enough, we seriously make tons of them. Sometimes 2 crockpots just so that we have a few leftovers. the second day is always better, they just don't normally last that long.
[COLOR="Red"]Can you do the same recipe with frozen pearl onions?[/COLOR]