Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2007, 08:00 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: girl81
Stats: past/100/healthy
WOE: unprocessed
Substituting xanthan gum for cornstarch

I have a recipe that calls for cornstarch. I want to use xanthan gum in place of it. Should I use it in a 1:1 ratio?
girl81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2007, 12:26 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yummy's_Girl
Stats: 168/134/130-135
WOE: A way of my own
Start Date: June 2006
when I use xantham gum, I usually just sprinkle it in to the recipe and whisk it to thicken with it. I don't think most people use it as a 1:1 ration. I cant say 100% for sure but I think msot people do it the sprinkle way I mentioned. Hope that helps!
Yummy's_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 05:41 AM   #3
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: jackieba
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: October 2005
It takes alot less xantham than cornstarch for the same effect.
I start with 1/8 tsp xantham per cup of liquid for thickening and sprinkle it in. Sometimes I may add a little more later but usually that will do it. It will continue to thicken as the liquid cools so if you won't be eating it right away, keep that in mind.
jackieba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 06:49 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cricket4t
Stats: 285/200/160
WOE: Started with Atkins/Swithched to Caveman-Type
Start Date: May 3, 2007
I find that a combination of thickeners works better than just one. When I'm making gravy, cream pies, thickening stews or making a cream soup, I will make a roux with Carbquik or Carbalose and proceed as usual. It won't be thick enough at this point but then I will add a little bit of xanthan gum or not/starch...which ever I happen to have to finish the job.

The gums alone give a slimy/gummy mouth feel that I really don't like but used with another form of thickener you don't get that.
Cricket4t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 12:45 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket4t View Post
I find that a combination of thickeners works better than just one. When I'm making gravy, cream pies, thickening stews or making a cream soup, I will make a roux with Carbquik or Carbalose and proceed as usual. It won't be thick enough at this point but then I will add a little bit of xanthan gum or not/starch...which ever I happen to have to finish the job.

The gums alone give a slimy/gummy mouth feel that I really don't like but used with another form of thickener you don't get that.
[COLOR=Red]That's pretty much what I do too. I didn't like using just the gums to thicken, especially in gravies. But combining them with Carbquick or Carbalose works well.

If you use a 1:1 ratio, you'll end up with paste!!! As Jackie said, start off with about 1/8 tsp. But of course it depends on what type recipe it is. Gravy, pudding, soup????? I wish I could give you a ratio for using Carbquick/Carbalose, but sorry I just don't really know.
[/COLOR]

Last edited by crazywoman-n-wy; 10-14-2007 at 12:50 PM..
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote