Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2007, 06:00 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GennieF
Stats: restarting the restart
WOE: Atkins variation
Start Date: restarting yet again
Crab cakes recipes

Hello everyone,

Lurker here but love all you guys in this section though....KevinPA is my hero! Anyway, I have a pound of lump crabmeat in my fridge and was wondering if anybody had any tried and true crab cakes recipes they'd love to share? I do not have any type of filler such as lc breadcrumbs or pork rinds. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
GennieF is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2007, 06:51 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dianacan
Stats: 255/249/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: October 08, 2007
MMMM.... I love crab cakes. I'll be monitoring this thread for sure
Dianacan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 07:18 AM   #3
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: crazyredhead
I haven't made crabcakes since low carbing but I do make salmon cakes/patties using fresh poached salmon, fresh dill or parsley, grated parmesan cheese and an egg... the parm makes a decent binder. I would think it wouldn't be all that different to use crab
crazyredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 08:45 AM   #4
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
This is our favorite:

Char's Crabby Cakes with Chipotle Aioli

1 1-lb. can backfin crabmeat (procured at Costco in the refrigerated secton) or fresh crabmeat
1/2 cup crumb mix (see below)
1/4 cup Best Foods mayo
1 egg
1/4 teaspoon White Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning

Additional crumb mix for breading
Oil for frying (I used a mix of 2/3 coconut/1/3 olive oil)

Mix together crumb mix, mayo, and egg; stir in Worcestershire and Old Bay. Mix well. Blend in rinsed and drained crabmeat, mixing lightly.

Divide into 6 equal portions and form into thick patties. Put additional crumb mixture on a plate and coat each side of the patties. Refrigerate coated patties for an hour before frying.

Heat oils (to about 1/2" deep) in large nonstick or cast iron frying pan over medium high heat til shimmering. Cook patties, 3 at a time, until nicely browned on each side, about 2-3 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels and serve with Chipotle Aioli.

Chipotle Aioli

Mix 1/4 cup Best Foods mayo with Chipotle Tabasco, lemon juice, and crushed garlic to taste. Chill til serving time.

Crumb mix - I keep this in a Ziploc bag in the freezer all the time. It's great for breading anything from crab cakes to pork chops to veggies for oven or pan frying!

1 cup crushed pork rinds (I love to use the Hot & Spicy kind but plain is fine too) mixed with 2 tablespoons flax meal, 1/4 cup almond meal, and 2 tablespoons Vital Wheat Gluten. Shake well and freeze to use as needed.

You can crush the pork rinds with a rolling pin in a Ziploc bag, or do them in the Vitamix, blender, or food processor until they are a nice fine crumb.

OK, since you said you don't have pork rinds or almond meal - how about raw wheat bran? Parm cheese? LC bread you could make into crumbs? IMHO, they do require a little of SOME sort of mixture to firm them up a bit AND to dredge in prior to frying. You COULD try without, then dredge just in Parm cheese, but they may fall apart if you're not careful! I'd shape them and then put in the freezer for maybe 10 to 20 minutes to really set them before cooking....

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 10:00 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

I do have almond meal, as well as pecans and walnuts that I could grind. Hmmm...I also have Wasa crackers, Carbquick, dried unsweetened coconut too. LOL, sounds like I'm going to be making some sort concoction...truthfully I don't have mayo either, but was planning on making a homemade version so that wasn't a big issue. That's okay, I guess I'll figure it out and if I don't end up eating it...my husband will, he eats anything.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:04 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

I just realized I could always make some sort of crab w/ alfredo sauce and serve with a spaghetti squash I have. I just can't imagine yummy crab cakes with pork rinds, lol, I'm picky I guess. Does the "pork flavor" shine through?

Last edited by GennieF; 10-11-2007 at 10:05 AM.. Reason: Added more info
Old 10-11-2007, 12:37 PM   #7
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
No, you can't taste it at all, IMHO, especially when it's a "mix" and not the whole thing - but honestly, I HAVE used straight pork rinds for stuff and I don't think they taste "rind-y" at all when included in a recipe or even used as a crust for frying.

OTOH - I LIKE pork rinds!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 12:54 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

LOL, I tried to like pork rinds, I really, really did! A few years ago we bought them and I think I forced myself to "like" them but then I made a pork rind pizza....something went wrong. Very, very wrong. My husband, who has only NOT eaten something on only one other occasion (been with him 8 years), did not eat that pizza. This is a guy who I can say would forage through the garbage can and find a bunch of goodies. I think that killed the whole pork rind thing for me after that. Maybe I'll try them again some time now that you mentioned it. I was thinking the almond meal route may be the way to go. Possibly pecans? BTW, thanks for the flashback...Jason still talks about that pizza as the only inedible thing I have ever made
Old 10-11-2007, 02:53 PM   #9
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
These are very good but I cut mine with part fish to save money.

CRAB CAKES
6 ounces crab meat *
1 pound pollock, cooked and flaked **
1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped fine
4 green onions, chopped fine
2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning
1/2 teaspoon coriander
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
2 egg whites
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut, finely ground
Oil, for frying

In a medium bowl, break up the pollock with your fingers until it's finely shredded. Stir in all remaining ingredients, except crab meat, coconut and oil, until well blended. Gently fold in crab meat, trying not to break it up too much. Divide into 6 equal portions on a wax paper-lined baking sheet. Gently shape into patties with your hands; chill two hours. Put the coconut in a small shallow dish. Carefully set one crab cake in the coconut and gently turn over to coat the other side; place back on wax paper. Repeat to coat all the patties. Chill at least 1 hour. Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Fry patties 4-5 minutes per side, flipping carefully, until golden brown on each side.

Makes 6 servings
Can be frozen, but they get a little watery

* I used the fresh kind that's found in the seafood department, not canned. It comes in a foil pouch and contains no added liquid. If you use canned crab meat, you may need two cans to get a full 6 ounces after draining.

** You should end up with about 8 ounces of cooked fish. I used 2 fillets (12 ounces total) and came a bit short with only a 7 ounce yield. If you can't get pollock, any mild white fish will work.

Per Serving: 292 Calories; 22g Fat; 21g Protein; 2g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 1g Net Carbs

These taste very nice and have a kick of heat from the cayenne. They're very delicate and you must turn them very gently when cooking. When you cook your fish, go easy on the salt or don't salt it at all. There is plenty of salt in the Old Bay. If you can afford to use all crab meat I'm sure these would taste even better.
LindaSue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 03:29 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Charski

Very nice looking recipe. I have a big ole can of crab from CostCo.
I also have one of their own brand of crab cakes that come out to
about 5 g. per cake. I usually eat one. I have printed this out so
it will go into my NEW Low CARB Cookbook that I'm getting together.

Linda your's are economical and look good too. I love coconut shrimp
and I'm curious as to how much of a coconut taste is in your crab
cakes?

Thanks both of you for the recipes.
Barbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 05:12 PM   #11
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbo View Post
Linda your's are economical and look good too. I love coconut shrimp
and I'm curious as to how much of a coconut taste is in your crab
cakes?
Frankly, I don't think the coating tasted much like coconut. It just gave it a nice crunchy coating similar to bread crumbs. I had just eaten coconut "breaded" crab cakes in a restaurant and they gave me the idea for my recipe.
LindaSue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 07:40 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Thank you everyone for the suggestions! I ended up using a recipe that supposedly didn't require filler (from what I understand, those from Baltimore scoff at a crab cake made with breadcrumbs ), but I ended up mixing in a bit of almond flour anyway so that it would hold together while frying. I think next time I may try Linda Sue's version if I don't get brave enough to try pork rinds again, lol.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:58 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cynthia12368
Stats: 300/268/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Restart 1/06/2008
I made these last night and...YUM!

I saw this recipe on the Travel Channels show, "The Feasty Boys Eat America" and it looked really good so I decided to try it. I made them last night it they are great! The only substitution that I made was Soy Flour instead of regular flour. Also, be careful adding the sauce to the crab meat, so that it doesn't get too wet and fall apart when you try to form the cakes.

Feasty Filler-Free Crab Cakes

1 pound crabmeat (select backfin)
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons Seafood seasoning
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 egg
2 teaspoons lemon juice
3/4 cup mayonnaise
2 teaspoons white pepper
Soy flour
Butter for frying

In a large bowl, combine mayonnaise, egg, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce and dry ingredients. Mix thoroughly and gradually pour over the crabmeat, all the while mixing. Add just enough of this mixture to form cakes, which should stick together well. Chances are you won't use all this mixture, but you never know! Form sand dollar-sized crab cakes and dredge both sides in white flour, gently shaking off excess flour. Over medium to medium-high heat, fry crab cakes in butter for approximately 2 - 3 minutes per side or until cakes achieve a golden brown outer coating. Drain crab cakes on paper towel and serve warm.

These crab cakes aren't like any other crab cakes you'll ever order out. The flour will give you a nice, light, crispy coating on the outside, while the lack of filler provides a crab imperial-like filling!
Cynthia12368 is offline   Reply With Quote