Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2007, 11:08 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cricket4t
Stats: 285/200/160
WOE: Started with Atkins/Swithched to Caveman-Type
Start Date: May 3, 2007
Luscious Lemon Swirl Cheesecake

This cheesecake is a little more trouble than your average cheesecake but it is sooooo worth it. If you are a lemon lover like I am you will love this one. This is the best cheesecake that I have ever eaten, low carb or high carb.

Luscious Lemon Swirl Cheesecake

Crust:
1 cup almond flour
3 tablespoons Splenda
3 tablespoons butter, melted

Cheesecake batter
1-cup sour cream
4 pkg. (8 oz. each) cream cheese, softened
1 cup Splenda
1/3 cup Erythritol
3 tablespoons VWG
1-1/2 tablespoons vanilla
4 eggs, beaten

Lemon Curd
6 large very fresh egg yolks (older eggs will not set up properly)
1-cup Splenda
1/3 cup Erythritol
1/3 cup Polydextrose
1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 stick butter-chopped
20 drops of yellow food color

Preparation:

Make crust and cool completely.
MIX almond flour, 3 Splenda and butter; press firmly onto bottom of 9-inch springform pan. Bake at 325°F for 10 minutes. (Bake at 300°F for 10 minutes if using dark nonstick springform pan.)

Make lemon curd.
Put the egg yolks, lemon juice and sweetener in the top of a double boiler. Use medium heat and stir with whisk constantly. Once the mixture has heated up (make sure that it's hot because if you start adding the butter before it's hot, it doesn't set up as well) add the butter a couple of pieces at a time. As the previous pieces melt, add 2 more. Once all the butter has been added, let it continue to cook for 15 minutes, stirring often. When it is ready it will no longer look frothy and will be thicker and look like the butter is trying to separate. Transfer to the fridge and cool completely stirring often to keep the butter from separating. Chill until curd is the consistency of peanut butter. While the curd is chilling mix the cheesecake batter.

MIX sour cream, cream cheese, Splenda, Erythritol, VWG and vanilla with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended. Mix in beaten eggs. Remove 1-1/3 cups of the cheesecake batter and stir it along with the 20 drops of yellow food color into the lemon curd.

Spoon half the batter over prepared crust. Spoon half of the lemon curd in dollops into pan. Repeat, ending with lemon curd. With metal spatula or knife, cut through batters to marble.

BAKE at 325°F for 1 hour 10 minutes or until center is almost set if using silver springform pan. (Bake at 300°F for 1 hour 10 minutes or until center is almost set if using dark nonstick springform pan.) Run knife or metal spatula around rim of pan to loosen cake; cool before removing rim of pan. Refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2007, 11:28 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kattbelly
This looks fabu. I just printed it off. Thanks!
Kattbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 12:20 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Lemon Curd

Ohhh I see that layer of lemon curd near the bottom of the cake.
It truly looks like a major winner.
Barbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 04:40 AM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
That looks gorgeous! Is there a reason for using part sugar alcohols and PolyD instead of all Splenda?
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 05:06 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
Lemon lover? Me, me, me, me, me! Waving hands wildly.

thanks, Cricket!
magnamater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 05:28 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: H20Goddess
Stats: 181/140/140, 5'9
WOE: LC / Whole Foods
Start Date: Jan 10, 2005
Oh wow...just wow...
H20Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 07:04 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Criosa
Stats: 240/171/150
WOE: hhCG, Low Carb
Start Date: In and out since 2003
This looks so good! Do you think the 3 T VWG is necessary? Sadly, I'm not able to eat any wheat. I'm not quite sure how VWG works. Does it thicken? Maybe a little not/sugar would work. I can't wait to try it. I have to order some erythritol though.
Criosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 08:05 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaSue View Post
That looks gorgeous! Is there a reason for using part sugar alcohols and PolyD instead of all Splenda?
As for the sweetener in the cheesecake batter, I use the Erythritol because I prefer it to Splenda alone. The two together give a taste more like real sugar to me, I also think that the Erythritol helps to make a creamier cheesecake but it's possible that is just my imagination.

As far as the PolyD, it helps the lemon curd to tighten up to the necessary consistency to get the separate layers in the cheesecake. You may be able to use not starch in its place but I've never tried it and I'm not sure how it would work.

The lemon curd has to tighten up to the consistency of peanut butter so that when you add the cheesecake batter to it the curd will have a firmer texture than the surrounding cheesecake batter.
Cricket4t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 08:10 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Criosa View Post
This looks so good! Do you think the 3 T VWG is necessary? Sadly, I'm not able to eat any wheat. I'm not quite sure how VWG works. Does it thicken? Maybe a little not/sugar would work. I can't wait to try it. I have to order some erythritol though.
In this case it's used as a stabilizer for the cheesecake batter and I don't see any reason why you couldn't use not/sugar. I would only use 1 tablespoon of the not/sugar but I think it would work just fine.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:33 AM   #10
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Girlfriend, that is a thing of beauty! I LOVE me some lemon curd. My dwarf Meyer lemon is in full production at the moment so this one is going on the list of things to make next time I need a dessert! Thank you!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 08:43 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tater Head
Stats: start weight 212/200 /goal 150
WOE: Lowcarb
Wow Wow Wow !!!! must try this recipe, it looks yummo

Debbie
Tater Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 09:34 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
Girlfriend, that is a thing of beauty! I LOVE me some lemon curd. My dwarf Meyer lemon is in full production at the moment so this one is going on the list of things to make next time I need a dessert! Thank you!
I have been thinking about getting a lemon tree, I've seen adds for these little dwarf trees that you are supposed to be able to grow in a pot. Is yours in a pot or is it planted in the yard? Our climate here is sub-tropical so if I needed to plant it in the ground I think it would be fine. I have an avocado tree growing in my yard so I don’t see why a lemon tree wouldn’t work.

What you talking about; dessert! This is breakfast!! I get really tired of plain old eggs and I don't really like to have to cook in the mornings so I will make something big and eat some for breakfast each morning with my coffee until it's gone and then I'll make something different. With 10 eggs and cream cheese hay that sounds like breakfast to me.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:52 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CreekWatcher
Thanks for the recipe, and especially for the low carb lemon curd making instructions.
CreekWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 10:05 AM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Your pie looks wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
rosethorns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 10:07 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreekWatcher View Post
Thanks for the recipe, and especially for the low carb lemon curd making instructions.
Don't use this recipe to try and make lemon curd, it sets up way too thick to use it as just curd. This would be a better recipe if all you want is the curd.

Heirloom Lemon Pie

Pie Crust:
2 cups Almond flour
1/4 cup Splenda
6 tablespoons butter, melted
Mix almond flour and Splenda, stir in melted butter and pat evenly into a 9” pie plate. Bake at 350° for 13 minutes. Remove from oven and cool completely.

Filling:
5 extra large Egg(s)
1 cup Splenda
1/3 cup Erythritol
1/3 cup Lemon juice, fresh
1 tablespoon Butter
1/3 cup Splenda

PREPARATION:
Separate eggs into 3 bowls as follows.....5 yolks in one bowl, 2 whites in one bowl and 3 whites in last bowl.

Cream egg yolks, add 1-cup Splenda, Erythritol and lemon juice and mix thoroughly. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly until thick. Add butter and remove from heat. Let cool slightly. Beat the 2 egg whites until stiff, and then fold in cooled lemon mixture. Fill pie shell with this mixture.

Beat remaining 3 egg whites until stiff. Beat in 1/3 cup Splenda.
Pile meringue on top of pie and bake at 325° for 15 minutes.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:35 PM   #16
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket4t View Post
I have been thinking about getting a lemon tree, I've seen adds for these little dwarf trees that you are supposed to be able to grow in a pot. Is yours in a pot or is it planted in the yard? Our climate here is sub-tropical so if I needed to plant it in the ground I think it would be fine. I have an avocado tree growing in my yard so I don’t see why a lemon tree wouldn’t work.

What you talking about; dessert! This is breakfast!! I get really tired of plain old eggs and I don't really like to have to cook in the mornings so I will make something big and eat some for breakfast each morning with my coffee until it's gone and then I'll make something different. With 10 eggs and cream cheese hay that sounds like breakfast to me.
You CAN grow that tree in a pot. Ours is in the ground, and there's not much DWARF left about it! LOL! I keep pruning it back but it's over 6' tall and at least as wide. It's such a good producer too.

My Dad had one in a brick planter, about 2' x 2', for YEARS. It never got bigger than about 3' tall and had lots of good lemons. It finally gave up and quit producing much a year or two ago, and he took it out a couple months back.

Meyer lemons are SO good too!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 06:59 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
You CAN grow that tree in a pot. Ours is in the ground, and there's not much DWARF left about it! LOL! I keep pruning it back but it's over 6' tall and at least as wide. It's such a good producer too.

My Dad had one in a brick planter, about 2' x 2', for YEARS. It never got bigger than about 3' tall and had lots of good lemons. It finally gave up and quit producing much a year or two ago, and he took it out a couple months back.

Meyer lemons are SO good too!
Thanks, I'm going to keep an eye out for a Meyer dwarf lemon tree and see if I can find one in my area. If not I may just order one off the net.

I have take a trip to Houston tomorrow I may just check out a couple of nurseries in the area and see if I can find one.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:39 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ilove2read
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 8/9/10
Cricket4t,
Your lemon cheesecake recipe looks awesome! I personally absolutely love lemon and I love lemon and cheesecake combination from Baker's Square and that's exactly what your recipe reminds me of. I can't wait to try it out! I've been craving it ever since I saw your pictures!

Can you tell me your carb count in the whole recipe and how many servings did you get out of this? I'm on induction right now, so I don't think I'd be able to make this right now - but will make it as soon as I can!!!
Ilove2read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 08:07 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flower75 View Post
Cricket4t,
Your lemon cheesecake recipe looks awesome! I personally absolutely love lemon and I love lemon and cheesecake combination from Baker's Square and that's exactly what your recipe reminds me of. I can't wait to try it out! I've been craving it ever since I saw your pictures!

Can you tell me your carb count in the whole recipe and how many servings did you get out of this? I'm on induction right now, so I don't think I'd be able to make this right now - but will make it as soon as I can!!!
I'm sorry I don't know the carb count; I don't count carbs I just eat low carb and don't worry about it. I tend to have an obsessive personality and if I start obsessing over carbs I'll go way overboard with it and drive my family nuts. So I cook and eat low carb and let it go at that.

I really don't know how many servings there are because DH and DS have eaten most of it and they don't eat small portions. I'll go get what's left out of the frig and see if I can estimate a number of servings for you.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:51 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Cricket4t,
After looking at the almost empty plate I would guess 16 good size servings. I hope you enjoy it as much as we have.
Old 10-13-2007, 12:22 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Cricket4t,

I pluged all the ingredients into ****** and I get:
Carbs: 209
Fiber: 133
Net Carbs: 76 With liquid Splenda for the whole cheesecake.
For 16 servings: 4.75 carbs per serving

Carbs:257
Fiber 133
Net Carbs: 124 With granular Splenda for the whole cheesecake.
For 16 servings: 7.75 carbs per serving

Last edited by Cricket4t; 10-13-2007 at 12:23 AM..
Old 10-14-2007, 09:38 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KathryninAR
WOE: Atkins
Oh my Cricket!! This is wonderful! Thank you so much!

Made this yesterday, used 1T not Sugar because I didn't have the VWG. Didn't matter, was terrific!! I also added a couple packages of True Lemon, just because when I tasted the lemon batter it wasn't quite tart enough for me. With them swirled together, the tart and the sweet, oh my goodness!! Thanks for sharing a fantastic recipe!

Oh yeah, ate a piece yesterday when warm and thought it was really good, ate a piece today (from the fridge) and it was DYNAMITE!!

Kate
KathryninAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 09:46 AM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I hate to ask this, but when you put in the numbers what were the calories per slice? I am counting both right now. I will use liquid splenda most likely.

Thanks Debbie
Old 10-14-2007, 10:28 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathryninAR View Post
Oh my Cricket!! This is wonderful! Thank you so much!

Made this yesterday, used 1T not Sugar because I didn't have the VWG. Didn't matter, was terrific!! I also added a couple packages of True Lemon, just because when I tasted the lemon batter it wasn't quite tart enough for me. With them swirled together, the tart and the sweet, oh my goodness!! Thanks for sharing a fantastic recipe!

Oh yeah, ate a piece yesterday when warm and thought it was really good, ate a piece today (from the fridge) and it was DYNAMITE!!

Kate
I'm so glad you liked it!

This is my favorite cheesecake of all time and I actually think the low carb version is better than the high carb version. I don't really know why but the low carb version is creamier and has a soother texture.
Old 10-14-2007, 10:31 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tater Head View Post
I hate to ask this, but when you put in the numbers what were the calories per slice? I am counting both right now. I will use liquid splenda most likely.

Thanks Debbie
For 16 servings the count for 1 slice is 313.4 calories.
Old 10-14-2007, 10:36 AM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

thanks, a little too high for now, but will make this soon

Debbie
Old 10-21-2007, 01:52 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Criosa
Stats: 240/171/150
WOE: hhCG, Low Carb
Start Date: In and out since 2003
Ever since I saw this recipe I wanted to try it. I finally made it over the weekend, and it is now my favorite cheesecake! I mean my very favorite cheesecake. I used 1 Tbsp. not/sugar instead of VWG, and the texture was just right. It was the first time I've ever made (let alone even ate) lemon curd. I was a little worried because it seemed a little hard to do. I had a few obstacles because I had to improvise a double boiler, and my liquid splenda had lost it sweetening power - I didn't know that could happen! I haven't used it in a long time, so I guess it died of neglect. Just kidding, but I was wondering if that has ever happened to anyone else. I found another bag of pourable splenda (which was also very old, but seemed fine) and guessed on how much to put in to make it taste like it's supposed to. Since I've never had lemon curd, I wasn't quite sure how sweet to make it. Anyway, I was very happy with the results. Thank you Cricket for the recipe.
Criosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 04:33 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Criosa View Post
Ever since I saw this recipe I wanted to try it. I finally made it over the weekend, and it is now my favorite cheesecake! I mean my very favorite cheesecake. I used 1 Tbsp. not/sugar instead of VWG, and the texture was just right. It was the first time I've ever made (let alone even ate) lemon curd. I was a little worried because it seemed a little hard to do. I had a few obstacles because I had to improvise a double boiler, and my liquid splenda had lost it sweetening power - I didn't know that could happen! I haven't used it in a long time, so I guess it died of neglect. Just kidding, but I was wondering if that has ever happened to anyone else. I found another bag of pourable splenda (which was also very old, but seemed fine) and guessed on how much to put in to make it taste like it's supposed to. Since I've never had lemon curd, I wasn't quite sure how sweet to make it. Anyway, I was very happy with the results. Thank you Cricket for the recipe.
I'm glad you enjoyed it, I posted a chocolate version but the lemon is still my favorite. There is nothing like a good lemon curd and mix it with cheesecake...how could you go wrong.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:50 AM   #29
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: jackieba
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: October 2005
Sounds wonderful but I look at calories too and I came up with 390 per slice. Maybe I can do this for a holiday dessert though. It really looks good and I love cheesecake. Wonder how it would be with the Pilly reduced fat cream cheese--that would reduce calories and it's not any higher in carbs either.
jackieba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 05:53 PM   #30
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Jackie, I use the 1/3 less Philly cream cheese in everything. Cheesecakes come out great with it and it would cut the calories.
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote