Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2007, 09:47 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Barbara Ray
Stats: 230/150/162/150
WOE: Low Calorie/Low Glycemic Load/Low Carb
Sour Cream Doughnuts

I just came across some of my VERY old recipes - ones I collected when I first started doing Low Carb almost five years ago. So many new products have come on the market and soooooo many have vanished since then - anyway the recipe I'm posting uses Carbsense Zero Carb Baking Mix in the recipe - this is NO longer available as the company went out of business - so I'm thinking I could perhaps use one of the flour blends or perhaps Carbquick - I'd like some input on that. The recipe does sound good and EASY - here it is:

1 egg - beaten
1/2 cup Splenda
1/3 cup sour cream
1 1/3 cup Carbsense Zero Carb Baking Mix
1/3 teaspoon baking soda
2/3 teaspoon double-acting baking powder
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
pinch of salt

Mix together egg and Splenda, add sour cream. Stir the remaining ingredients into the egg mixture until blended. Fry at 375 degrees until golden grown.

It doesn't say - but I "assume" you would drop spoonfuls of the mixture into the hot oil.

Yield: 12 doughnuts

Net carbs: About 3 grams per doughnut
Barbara Ray is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2007, 10:53 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yummy's_Girl
Stats: 168/134/130-135
WOE: A way of my own
Start Date: June 2006
These look good. I'm watching to see is anyoen has any ideas for them
Yummy's_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 11:31 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kisal
WOE: Basic low carb
Start Date: October 15, 2004
I wonder if Kevinpa's Cake and Cookie mix would be a good sub for the Carbsense bake mix. Might be worth a try, but I don't have a deep fryer.
Kisal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 01:17 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yummy's_Girl
Stats: 168/134/130-135
WOE: A way of my own
Start Date: June 2006
hmm that might work!
Yummy's_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 07:43 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisal View Post
I wonder if Kevinpa's Cake and Cookie mix would be a good sub for the Carbsense bake mix. Might be worth a try, but I don't have a deep fryer.

Hi Kisal,

You don't need a deep fryer - I just use a 4 inch deep - 12 inch round frying pan for frying many things that one would "think" you'd need a deep fryer for. You could also use a large "pot" or dutch oven. My cookware is heavy so I have no problems.

I also have some BigSkies flour - I didn't even think about that last night when I posted this. I may just go ahead and try that - NOT today though - too many "irons in the fire" as it is.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:31 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

I made these yesterday as our weekend breakfast "treat". I used Big Skies flour and they turned out GREAT. While they were warm I sprinkled them with "sugar" (I used Splenda) and some cinnamon. I would do two things differently in the future. First I would use an extra large egg or "perhaps" two eggs as it was too "flakey" to hold together well - and the second is that I'd roll the dough into little balls - giving you donut "holes". I don't have a deep fryer - so I just fried them in a 10" skillet. I do have a cooking thermometer - but don't believe that's necessary either - just get the oil hot enough that when you drop some batter into it (as a "test") it rises to the top.

A personal note - I've just started using Big Skies Flour and so far I REALLY like it. It doesn't have an "off" taste and things turn out just like they do using "regular" flour. EVEN gravy! I like that I don't have to buy a TON of ingredients and mix them together. One five pound bag at a time suits me just fine.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:27 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rexsreine
WOE: low carb
Hey, Barb, those doughnuts sound great. Can't try them now as we're going out of town, but they would make a wonderful autumn treat to go with coffee. I've got the Big Skies flour, too, and so will use that. Thanks for posting recipe and results!

Ginny
rexsreine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 10:55 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gettingsmaller
Blue Skies

This is the first time I have heard about Big Skies flour. What is it and where do you get it?

Just found the web site for the flour. I was looking for Blue Skies flour at first. It is not that low carb with 24 per cup.

gs

Last edited by gettingsmaller; 10-01-2007 at 11:33 AM.. Reason: add information
gettingsmaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 11:45 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettingsmaller View Post
This is the first time I have heard about Big Skies flour. What is it and where do you get it?

Just found the web site for the flour. I was looking for Blue Skies flour at first. It is not that low carb with 24 per cup.

gs

Hi,

I wouldn't use it for anything while doing induction - but this particular forum seems to address those of us on "maintenance" - there are some recipes on here that are pretty high in carbs IF you're looking to lose weight - NOT maintain what you've already lost.

I only have a bag of King Arthur's brand whole wheat flour on hand (which is LOWER in carbs than white flour) and note that this has 21 grams of carbs per 1/4 cup- that's 84 carbs per cup - using the Big Skies flour saves you 60 carbs per cup.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:16 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gettingsmaller
Barbara,

What you say is true. I had been looking at it from a more induction and weight loss perspective rather than a maintenance recipe flour.

gs
gettingsmaller is offline   Reply With Quote