Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2007, 06:45 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dointhis4me
Stats: 258.8/249.4/165
WOE: Low carb my way
Start Date: 3/17/14
Thanksgiving dinner

This is my first time doing low carb. Usually Thanksgiving dinner is a total carb fest (besides the turkey). We normally have mashed potatoes, gravy, stuffing, mac & cheese, corn, cranberry sauce, punch, etc. What ideas do you have for a healthy, low carb Thanksgiving meal?
dointhis4me is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2007, 06:54 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deeda
Stats: 220/196/160 5'8"
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: May 2007/ Again Feb. 22 2008
I was just thinking about that this morning. My mom is coming in from out of state for Thanksgiving and I miss her cooking so much! I hope you get some good suggestions b/c I am really thinking I am taking a day off LC for Thanksgiving. I was thinking about making corned beef and cabbage and green beans?
Deeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 06:54 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: KrystaLyn
Stats: 173.0/164.0/135 (pre-preg 162/135)
Start Date: Post-pregnancy start: 03/02/2011
If you do an advanced search for "Thanksgiving," you will get a nice list of ideas. Here's one to get you started

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ad-2003-a.html
KrystaLyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 07:09 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: homestretch
Stats: 206.5/155
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 5/26/06
Yum, I have not even thought of Thanksgiving but I love the holiday. I love low carb pumpkin pie or low carb cheesecake. Personally I could just eat that and turkey!
homestretch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 07:12 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ItsToni
Stats: 5'9" - started@223/199/160
WOE: Atkins (over & over)
Start Date: October 21, 2005
I would suggest [COLOR="Red"]NOT[/COLOR] taking a day off of Low Carb! It's so easy to eat low carb on Thanksgiving! It's easy to "feast" on turkey, deviled eggs, veggie trays, green beans, broccoli & cheese, squash and there are sf pumpkin recipes galore out there! You'll be glad when everyone else is laying around, unbuttoning their pants and slipping into a food coma. If you are eating at someone else's house, bring anything you think you might need. (such as splenda for coffee or a little mix of sf brown sugar and cinnamon to put over squash, etc.) You'll feel just GREAT!
Old 09-18-2007, 07:44 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Angel
Stats: 225 /135/120 ~ was128/current155/128 again soon?
WOE: Low carb
I found this recipe here ages ago...My family LOVED this and now I'm gonna have to go out and find soy grits to make it again

Preheat oven to 400 degrees

Mix
1 8oz pk cream cheese
3 eggs
3 tbsp Splenda
1/3 cup Atkins Bake Mix
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup soy grits (I used to use Bob's Red Mills Brand, but I really haven't made this in a long while, so I am not sure if this brand is still available)
1/4 cup buttermilk (yuck.....I used heavy cream dilluted a tiny bit with water)
2 tbsp melted bacon grease

Beat cream cheese with mixer until blended smooth, add the remaining ingredients (except bacon grease..that comes in a minute ) and let sit for 5 minutes before using.

Now for that bacon grease....
While you are mixing together your ingredients, preheat your oven with cast iron skillet (cause ANY Southern Cook knows cast iron is THE BEST skillet to make corn bread in..faux or not ) inside for 5-10 minutes. Remove skillet, add the 2 tbsp of bacon grease and return the skillet to the oven until melted. Rotate pan until the grease coats the pan....then pour remaining grease into your batter mixture and mix well.

Bake until golden brown ontop then enjoy!

It makes 10 large slices. According to ****** the nutrional values are as follows (WITH the buttermilk..I didn't compute the values..this was in the first post..and I am too lazy to compute the values with the watered down cream :P )

Total Calories 172
Fat 13 68%
Sat 7 26%
Poly 1 5%
Mono 4 21%
Carbs 4.8 8%
Fiber 1.5 0%
protein 11 25%
Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 07:49 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
[COLOR=Red]You can have almost everything you listed (or a substitute). There are recipes out there to sub for nearly all that. Some is LC anyway.
Check out the
[/COLOR][COLOR=Red]foodnetwork[/COLOR][COLOR=Red] site, and search George Stella, look at all the pages. George has several of the things already low carbed.
I make a variation of his Mock mashed "potatoes" (His is
[/COLOR][COLOR=Red]"Mock"[/COLOR][COLOR=Red] Garlic Mashed Potatoes). I make a kinda mock twice baked "potato" (cauliflower). He does a cauliflower Mac & Cheese, but it isn't listed on that site. I can't give you the recipe, but it is basically cooked cauliflower with a LC cheese sauce (no flours of course). He even has a LC pumpkin pie on that site. And Cheesecake!
I've seen LC recipies for cranberry sauce. Sorry I don't have one I can give you. Do a search, I bet you will find one on here.
The corn, I would leave off. But that is me personally.

I've stayed LC thru several Thanksgivings now, and have never regretted it.

Oh, and after Thankgiving (If you have turkey), may I suggest Kevinpa's Pot Pie? http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ml#post8473618 It is for chicken pot pie, but I think it will work great for leftover turkey.

Deeda,
[/COLOR]"corned beef and cabbage and green beans" [COLOR=Red]are low carb. Or was that why you were thinking about having that? [/COLOR]
[COLOR=Red][/COLOR]

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 08:11 AM   #8
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: jackieba
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: October 2005
Here's some ideas from last year but if you do a search you'll find more.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ving-menu.html

Making your own cranberry sauce using splenda works great. If you have something like xantham gum (which alot of groc stores carry) you can make giblet gravy (a little bit goes a long way to thicken).
Making mashed potatoes using cauliflower works well for most people.

Here's another link to the recipe room holiday dishes:
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/recipe...cat=18&ppuser=

Last edited by jackieba; 09-18-2007 at 08:14 AM..
jackieba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 08:37 AM   #9
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: crazyredhead
Sweet potatoes are lower carb than regular potatoes... you can mash them just the same and they are very thanksgivingy. You don't need to add flour to gravy to thicken it... just cook on high until it reduces and thickens on it's own or use a low carb thickener. I've made a version of the infamous green bean casserole using fresh green beans and a can of campbell's cream of mushroom soup. I found fried onion strings that were not too carby but could top with just caramelized onions or onions that have been fried with a low carb breading of some sort. I posted this the other day... someone was wondering what to do with butternut squash... I've made it for several thanksgivings and everyone loved it.

Butternut squash (diced into small to medium chunks... without the outer peel)
Chicken stock
Vidalia or sweet onion (can also use shallots)
Butter
Nutmeg
Ginger
Salt and pepper
Heavy or light cream

Sweat the onion in some butter in a very large pot, then add the butternut squash, chicken stock, nutmeg, ginger, salt and pepper and cook on low until the squash is soft. Blend everything together with one of those stick mixers or in a blender... return to the pot and adjust seasonings if necessary. Add some cream (and possibly more stock) until you have the right consistency for soup (the soup is very creamy on it's own so the cream is optional if you don't want to use it... but it tastes good in my opinion).

This is a big hit for Thanksgiving!
crazyredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 09:12 AM   #10
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Sweet potatoes still have alot of carbs. Unless you're in maintenance, I wouldn't go there. But a great alternative is Delicata Squash (a winter squash--here they have them around Thanksgiving and only then), check out Kevinpa's recipes for it--it tastes very close to sweet potatoes. It's lower in carbs than butternut squash and it's easy to peel unlike alot of winter squashes. I made Kevin's mock sweet potato casserole and it tasted just like my old high carb sweet potato casserole. It makes a good pie too. They freeze well too ( I peel and cut it up then freeze).

Also if you make casseroles that normally use cream of mushroom soup, try Campbell's Cream of Chicken and Mushroom soup--much lower in carbs.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:22 AM   #11
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
I've done 4 T'givings on LC and looking forward to my 5th!

The best part of staying LC is you won't feel so bloated and horrid after dinner - while everyone else is crashed out due to carb overload, YOU can take a nice walk!

I LOVE homemade LC cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie, and all the LC fixin's of the day!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 04:25 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yummy's_Girl
Stats: 168/134/130-135
WOE: A way of my own
Start Date: June 2006
Here is a great Green Bean casserole, from Linda Sue's site, and it doesnt use any canned soup:

DOTTIE'S GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE

2 14-ounce cans french cut green beans, drained well *
4 ounce can mushrooms, drained well
1 small onion, sliced into very thin rings, 2 1/2 ounces
2 stalks celery, finely chopped
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded

Sauté the onion, celery and mushrooms in the butter until very soft and a little browned, about 20 minutes. Combine all ingredients in a greased 1 1/2 quart casserole or 8x8" baking pan. Bake at 350º, uncovered, 30 minutes or until nicely browned and bubbly. Or, microwave on 50% power, loosely covered, about 30 minutes, turning down to LOW if it starts to get too brown.

Makes 6-8 servings

* You can use a 16 ounce bag of frozen green beans. Cook them according to the package and drain well. See my comments below.

Per 1/6 recipe: 281 Calories; 24g Fat; 11g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs
Per 1/8 recipe: 211 Calories; 18g Fat; 8g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carbs

This is the only green bean cassserole I like. I don't care for the ones made with soup. This is delicious

Your body is the baggage you must carry through life. The more excess the baggage, the shorter the trip.--Arnold H. Glasgow

Last edited by Yummy's_Girl; 09-18-2007 at 04:26 PM..
Yummy's_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 05:12 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yummy's_Girl
Stats: 168/134/130-135
WOE: A way of my own
Start Date: June 2006
Let's keep the ideas coming, folks! I looked over the older threads and wrote a few things down, but I'd like to hear new ideas.

Can some of you give your recipe/directions for homemeade cranberry sauce?
Yummy's_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 06:23 PM   #14
Bike Tart

Gallery: mamagiff
WOE: general low carb
I've made cranberry sauce with cranberries and raspberry DaVinci's instead of water. Everyone loves it!

Dottie's green bean casserole is always a big hit as are roasted veggies, Linda Sue's Just Like Stuffed Baked Potato casserole and the usual higher carb sides that are part of the dinner for the non low carb people.
mamagiff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 07:13 PM   #15
Gadget Gal

This is a favorite around our place:

Char's Cranberry/Jalapeno Sauce

4 cups fresh or frozen cranberries - if frozen, defrosted
1/4 of a medium white onion, cut into large chunks
Juice of a medium lime
1/2 c. orange flavored SF syrup such as DaVinci or Torani
2 medium jalapenos, seeded and cut into chunks
1 tablespoon SF maple syrup
1/4 c. Splenda or equivalent artificial sweetener

In a food processor, process onion chunks til minced. Add jalapenos and pulse til finely chopped. Add cranberries and pulse til coarsely chopped - some halved or whole berries adds to the texture. Transfer to a microwave-safe large bowl (I use an 8 cup Pyrex batter bowl) and stir in the lime juice and sweet ingredients. Microwave on High 5 minutes; stir; then microwave at 2 minute intervals until simmering and starting to thicken. Cool to room temp, then refrigerate. Best if made at least several hours ahead to allow the flavors to blend.

It's also really good as an appetizer - just don't thicken it quite as much. When cool, put a block of cream cheese on a plate and spoon the cranberry sauce over it. Use LC crackers to scoop it up.

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Old 09-18-2007, 07:25 PM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: lippi
“Stuffing”

2 cups diced cooked chicken
1 pound pork sausage
1 large stalk celery (chopped)
3 tbls. chopped onion
1 small can mushrooms, drained
4 lg. eggs
1/2 cup heavy cream
8 oz. Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
1/2 teaspoon salt (I didn't add any)
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon fresh parsley, minced, optional (I didn't add any)
1/4 - 1/2 tsp sage

Brown the sausage with the onion and celery; drain well. Add sage and mushrooms. Place in a 2 qt. casserole dish. Mix in chicken and cheese. Beat eggs, cream, seasonings and parsley, if using. Pour evenly over meat mixture. Bake at 350º 35-40 minutes until set in the center and nicely browned. Let stand 10 minutes before serving
lippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 07:46 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MeFirst
Stats: 271.8/258.8/199 to start
Start Date: 01/01/08
I'll need to make close to single servings...no one else will eat it, and I need the portion control. Before I have ate the regular turkey, ham, green beans... and I made myself a side of mock mashed potatoes. I would love to know of a pumpkin type sweet that I can make...that there wont be alot extra.
MeFirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 05:52 AM   #18
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Shannon, here's an idea:
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...pkin-bake.html

There's only two of us so I divide stuff into servings sizes and freeze leftovers that way.
I often cut a recipe in half if it's for more than 4 servings.

There's alot of LC dishes that others would enjoy if you can get them to taste it. I've served non-LCers dishes that they couldn't believe was low carb. Okay, not the cauliflower mashed potatoes or mock stuffing but things like Kevin's delicata squash mock sweet potato casserole, gravies, lots of veggie casseroles, cranberry sauce, and meat/chicken dishes.

Last edited by jackieba; 09-19-2007 at 05:53 AM..
Old 09-19-2007, 06:17 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: choconut68
Stats: 249/242/150 5'4"
Start Date: Restart: June 21st, 2011 TODAY
Menu for our LC meal
Turkey
green beans
devilled eggs
coleslaw (sf)
pumpkin casserole( like sweetpotato) SF
Mocked Potatoes with bacon bits
I have other things for the nonLC'ers
I just try to limit my portions cus I know I would over do the legal carbs anyway!
choconut68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 08:05 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: momof5
Stats: 235/235/140-5"2
Start Date: Jan 8 2007 Re-start Jan 9 2012
Hi
I played around with my stuffing recipe and came out with something we all like

I make the batter for chili rellenos and then I fry the batter up in little pancake size portions. I let them cool then break them up by hand.
I then add the dry spices and put in fridge over night. I like Chicken in mine so in a seperate bowl I place chicken cooked celery&onion (add what ever you want as long it is low carb) slice some egg whites into the mixture. GENTLY mix with Relleno crumbles from fridge with chicken mix.. now here you will have to choose how you want to moisten your "stuffing". I use chicken broth 1/4 cup at a time till its the way i like it. Dont let it get to wet.
Place in dish that has been sprayed with pam, cover and cok in oven at 350 for about 45 min. Uncover and allow the top to brown a little. Use sage, it really makes a diff.
momof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 08:06 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Make sure you use cooked chicken. Sorry about that
Old 09-19-2007, 11:40 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tecnokitty
Stats: 222/125/150 After Baby/Now:241/145/150
WOE: Atkins 72, I'm 5'7", 36 years old
Start Date: Restarted 6/22/07. In a size 4-6 jeans now!
Subscribing
Tecnokitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 01:17 PM   #23
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Sweeteater
WOE: Lower Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecnokitty View Post
Subscribing

me, too!

Last edited by Sweeteater; 09-19-2007 at 01:19 PM.. Reason: typo
Sweeteater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 02:54 PM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
You could make mac 'n cheese with dreamfields pasta.

momof5, can you share your chili rellenos batter recipe please?
Nigel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 07:52 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Hi
the chili rellenos batter i use is ...
I seperate 6 eggs (room temp eggs) into two different bowls. Then i beat the egg whites with 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of cream of tarter. Mix till stiff peaks or you can tilt the bowl with out the whites sliping in the bowl-set aside in other bowl use mixer on egg yolks and add 2 tablespoons of 1/2 and 1/2mix for about a min on high. Fold yolk mix into white mix becareful not to over mix.
have your oil hot and ready so you can start to make the miny pancakes as soon as the batter is ready.the cream of tarter really helps the egg whites to stiffen. Hope that helps. The batter is so cheap to make. I make alot of stuffing so I use 6 eggs.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:57 PM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thank you so much for the recipe. I will try it.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:10 PM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tecnokitty
Stats: 222/125/150 After Baby/Now:241/145/150
WOE: Atkins 72, I'm 5'7", 36 years old
Start Date: Restarted 6/22/07. In a size 4-6 jeans now!
I don't do dreamfields as it has the same effect on me as regular pasta. Anyone have any ideas of something to use in it's place for mac-n-cheese?
Tecnokitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 05:35 PM   #28
Gadget Gal

Yep, cook cauliflower til tender, drain VERY well (I use a colander) and use that in place of the pasta. It's not EXACTLY the same but it's really tasty.

A lot of people use those shiratake noodles but I can't get past the texture of those - in Asian dishes I like them but not as a pasta substitute. Many disagree with me though so it's obviously a "personal taste" type thing!
Old 09-20-2007, 06:37 PM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecnokitty View Post
I don't do dreamfields as it has the same effect on me as regular pasta. Anyone have any ideas of something to use in it's place for mac-n-cheese?
The only thing I can think of would be the reduced carb macaroni by RF or Mueller's. I've tried both and they are very good, but they are just lower carb, not actually considered low carb. If you are only going to have it the one day, I think it might be alright--better than the regular high carb stuff.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:57 AM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dointhis4me
Stats: 258.8/249.4/165
WOE: Low carb my way
Start Date: 3/17/14
it's almost that time....bumping
dointhis4me is offline   Reply With Quote