Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2007, 01:59 PM   #361
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: PalmTreeGal
Stats: 181/123/115 @ 5'2
WOE: LC eclectic
I tried the muffin with cocoa last night, and iced it with splenda-sweetened mascarpone. Didn't do much for me. Then I remembered that I was never a huge chocolate cake fan pre-LC. It would have to be a very rich, intensely chocolately cake to get my interest. A supermarket cake or generic chocolate birthday cake didn't seem worth eating (not that I didn't eat it sometimes, just because it was there!). I'm staying away from baking LC sweets anyway, given my track record with cream cheese muffins. As far as flax muffins I'm sticking with my plain ol' cinnamon.

My 2010 Journal: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...0-journey.html
PalmTreeGal is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2007, 03:41 PM   #362
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: yules258
You guys are awesome! I was looking for flax recipes and came across this thread. I made the muffins and they are great. I have a few suggestions for anyone worried about stalling. Calories still matter especially when adding fiber and fat to your carbs. If you want to shave a few cals and fat try
3 tbsp of flax -instead of 4
1/4 cup egg beaters
1 packet splenda
not the full 1/2 tsp of baking powder
cinnamon
**spray dish with butter PAM and bake on 350 for about 12 min they still rise nicely with a little less powder and a little less flax.

this is only 125 calories. It is still big and you can still make your other variations. Instead of bananas try banana extract you only need about 1/2 tsp. Also try butter extract if you want that buttery taste. You can use pumkin pie spice instead of real pumkin.

Just be careful with all the stuff you add to them because it can really drive the cals, fat and carbs way up. All these little things added have traces of carbs and these traces add up to mg's. before you know it you take a low carb/low cal muffin and you have a 300 calorie snack.

Anyway, just thought I would add my 2 cents. I love your recipes and you are all so motivating it is just great! Keep the flax recipes coming:-)
yules258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 04:32 AM   #363
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cablegriz
Stats: 218/178/200/140
WOE: LC, Insulin Resistant on Metformin HCL 2000mg
Start Date: April 23, 2010 a restart for my health
Quote:
Originally Posted by yules258 View Post
You guys are awesome! I was looking for flax recipes and came across this thread. I made the muffins and they are great. I have a few suggestions for anyone worried about stalling. Calories still matter especially when adding fiber and fat to your carbs. If you want to shave a few cals and fat try
3 tbsp of flax -instead of 4
1/4 cup egg beaters
1 packet splenda
not the full 1/2 tsp of baking powder
cinnamon
**spray dish with butter PAM and bake on 350 for about 12 min they still rise nicely with a little less powder and a little less flax.

this is only 125 calories. It is still big and you can still make your other variations. Instead of bananas try banana extract you only need about 1/2 tsp. Also try butter extract if you want that buttery taste. You can use pumkin pie spice instead of real pumkin.

Just be careful with all the stuff you add to them because it can really drive the cals, fat and carbs way up. All these little things added have traces of carbs and these traces add up to mg's. before you know it you take a low carb/low cal muffin and you have a 300 calorie snack.

Anyway, just thought I would add my 2 cents. I love your recipes and you are all so motivating it is just great! Keep the flax recipes coming:-)
Thanks sound good!
Cablegriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 08:22 AM   #364
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: AnDee
Stats: 218/183..up 199.6...now 182.2..on the way down!
WOE: Uncomplicated LC - No Flour or Grains
Start Date: Oct. 18, 2004
[COLOR="Navy"]Hi all. I changed the OMM recipe again. This time I added a 2 tsp DiabeticSweet Brown Sugar (I think that's the name) along with the cinnamon, and I also added about 20 fozen blueberries - that was only a couple of extra carbs. It was yummy. When I toasted it at work, someone thought I was toasting French Toast!

For lunch, I'm having another OMM, but I mixed it with some onion flakes (reconstituted in some hot water), along with a few other seasonings. I nuked it in a small soup bowl and was able to slice it in half so I can toast it. I'm eating it with leftover steak, so it'll be like a real sandwich!!!

I've always been a slow loser, but I'm still losing, so I'm going to have at least one a day. They keep me nice and full.

Anne[/COLOR]

Last edited by AnDee; 10-03-2007 at 08:29 AM..
AnDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 09:44 AM   #365
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Lisa M
WOE: Modified Atkins
I have to thank whoever posted (sorry, don't have time to go through all these pages to find out who) about adding caraway seeds to make it a bread and make a ham and swiss sandwich on rye. I made it for breakfast this morning (grilled both sides in a pan w/ dijon mustard added to the sandwich) and it was honestly the best meal I've had in a while! Awesome. I'm already looking forward to one again tomorrow.
I was going to take and post a pic because it looked so good but the camera was in my husband's car.
Lisa M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 09:19 PM   #366
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: AnDee
Stats: 218/183..up 199.6...now 182.2..on the way down!
WOE: Uncomplicated LC - No Flour or Grains
Start Date: Oct. 18, 2004
[COLOR="Navy"]I'm going away for a few days to visit my family in FL. I made 3 sandwich-sized muffins to take with me. Figure, better safe, than stuck with nothing to eat.
So many people in my office are now buying flaxmeal and making the OMM! They keep saying how healthy it "looks." Guess brown food equals healthy!

Anne[/COLOR]
AnDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 09:42 PM   #367
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shelby7851
Stats: 246/230/199(mini)
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 06/26/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoSkids View Post
Oh goodness, I have had my flax meal in my cupboard (unrefrigerated) for I don't know how long

I did take a good look a the meal when I poured it and here were not any of those extra protein goodies crawling around in it. It is not rancid or I would have noticed the "turn". Guess I am a lucky one.

Looks and tastes ok to me.
same for me. when i found this recipe last week, i pulled my box of flax meal it was at LEAST a year old, if not more...it was fine
shelby7851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 09:24 AM   #368
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Toey2
Stats: I'm on a scale strike.
WOE: With a really big fork
Start Date: Every day is a new dawning...
ok, I wasn't all that sold with the first bite, but then I put some butter on the cinnamon one and kind of got addicted....and goodness do they help with keeping things moving!!!

can't wait to try the pizza crust recipe!!!
Toey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 02:03 PM   #369
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Toey2
Stats: I'm on a scale strike.
WOE: With a really big fork
Start Date: Every day is a new dawning...
I must be a nutter cause I like the flax seed meal all by itself!!
It's got such a nice nutty flavor and wonderful on salad!!!

Am I the only one?!?!
Toey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 02:16 PM   #370
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cablegriz
Stats: 218/178/200/140
WOE: LC, Insulin Resistant on Metformin HCL 2000mg
Start Date: April 23, 2010 a restart for my health
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneSD View Post
[COLOR="Navy"]I'm going away for a few days to visit my family in FL. I made 3 sandwich-sized muffins to take with me. Figure, better safe, than stuck with nothing to eat.

Anne[/COLOR]
When I went away this summer, I made a bunch before we left, and kept them in a ziplock in the cooler then in the fridge. They saved me a lot! Even at the hotel, I could grab my muffin with my coffee in the room!
Cablegriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 02:16 PM   #371
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kshelia
Stats: 148/134/135
WOE: Atkins Modified
Start Date: LC Since 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toey2 View Post
I must be a nutter cause I like the flax seed meal all by itself!!
It's got such a nice nutty flavor and wonderful on salad!!!

Am I the only one?!?!
I used to just eat a couple of table spoons of it all by itself! I like it too.

I am soooo going to try these muffins as soon as I get my weight loss going a little better. They sound great!!!
kshelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 05:05 PM   #372

Quote:
Am I the only one?!?!
Nope! I eat it by the spoonfuls, too sometimes.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:12 PM   #373
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: teri f
Stats: 203/127/125
WOE: High fat VLC
Start Date: Original start: January 3, 2001. Restart 6/18/2007
I don't eat it by the spoonful but I do like to sprinkle it on my salads.

Just had to pop in here to let you all know I used the basic recipe minus cinnamon (plus I add 1/2 t real vanilla) and made a "chick in the nest". I nuked the muffin mix in a square container, cut a circle out of the middle (and ate it), melted butter in a skillet, threw the "bread" in the pan and an egg in the hole. Cooked the egg over easy---it was WONDERFUL. It's a great adaptation of an old high carb favorite!

I think whoever came up with this recipe deserves the Nobel prize or something!!
Dr. William Castelli, a director of the Framingham Heart Study, (the longest running heart disease study), declared: "In Framingham, Mass, the more saturated fat one ate, the more cholesterol one ate, the more calories one ate, the lower the person's serum cholesterol...we found that the people who ate the most cholesterol,ate the most saturated fat, ate the most calories, weighed the least, and were the most physically active"
teri f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 04:38 PM   #374

Today I did the muffin in a coffee cup w/ cocoa and davinci kahlua and one drop of Sweetzfree. Wonderful!
Old 11-17-2007, 06:12 AM   #375
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hockeyrules
Stats: 2002-2004: 195/164/130
WOE: Atkins mixed w/ JUDDD
Start Date: 7/15/11 212/190/150
Today I made the following variation:

leave out cinnamon
replace Splenda w/ 1 Tablespoon banana Davinci's
add 1 T chopped walnuts

And baked them in the oven for 20 minutes. What makes 1 muffin in a coffee mug makes 2 muffins in my muffin tins.

I used muffin papers for half and sprayed the pan with Pam for the other half. The ones in paper stuck so I'll be using the plain greased muffin tin from now on.

Delicious, and I like the texture better baked. Less spongy, more like an ordinary muffin.
hockeyrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 07:17 AM   #376
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Amélie
Can I use flax meal during induction?

And is it available in any grocery stores? Nearest would be Albertsons =)
Amélie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 07:44 AM   #377
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: luvdanrs
Stats: 243/221.5/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: December 2006
The answer to that varies as you read thru the threads...some say yes some say Atkins said limit to 2 tsp or tbs per day. Basically it comes down to are you doing net carbs? Since it basically eliminates itself in its carb count with its fiber... I am going to try it... if it doesnt stall me then I am going to count it as an induction friendly food. Cant believe I hadnt found this recipe before. I have been living very much on Revolution Rolls ... and I love them but they take some planning as they take a while to make. With this I can make as I go. So going to go into the kitchen now and try them. Wish me luck...and thanks to all and everyone modifications!!!

" Some days you're the dog, some days you're the hydrant" I just pray for more dog days!!!!

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...Gz7/weight.png
luvdanrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 07:53 AM   #378
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Since we don't have flax meal around the house, I tried it with a tbsp of rice protein powder (1.3g net carbs, 1.8 total), egg, butter, and Starbucks sugar free cinnamon dolce syrup. Turned out to be a cake-y thing.

I'm so trying this with flax meal.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:35 PM   #379
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ok, so I tried another one minute muffin, this time with flax meal - I ran to Albertsons - but without baking powder (I thought we have some left, but none) and I was surprised that it looked like banana bread!
Old 11-17-2007, 05:32 PM   #380
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JeriRat
Stats: 293/283.5/160 6'0"
Start Date: 10/08/07 restart 03/28/09
Antigone - I've eaten the 1 Minute Muffin all through induction, averaging about 6 a week and have lost almost 15 pounds. I love them! This week I started subbing half the flax meal with hazelnut meal for a yummy change. I also have almond meal and coconut flour that I'm going to try.

I honestly think that the 1 Minute Muffin made the first two weeks of induction bearable and I don't know if I would've been able to stick with it if I hadn't had my muffin fix.
JeriRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 05:48 PM   #381
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: luvdanrs
Stats: 243/221.5/150
Start Date: December 2006
Ok I made this after a store run after I found out I didnt have any Baking Powder:blush: ( How uheard of) I omitted the cinamon since I was planning on making a Bacon Egg sandwich with it. I used a square plastic container I had about the size of a slice of bread maybe a hair larger... in my poor old microwave it took a total of 3 minutes.... but OMG I am in love... it came out like a heavy whole wheat piece of bread. I cut it in half and loaded it with egg and bacon. I had looked at it after 2 min and was very doubtful about the whole thing...so gave it that extra minute. Next time I make it and use it for that purpose I will omit the splenda (hope it doesnt need it to activate something). I can live with this. And geez it puts those poor Revolution Rolls to shame!!!
luvdanrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 08:35 PM   #382
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Is there really a big difference with the baking powder? If yes I might have to run to my neighborhood Albertsons first thing tomorrow morning.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:34 PM   #383
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: phatjow
Stats: 240/201.8/170
WOE: LC/Calorie counting/8hr diet
Start Date: This time ..7/24/13
I made the one minute muffin's and they were delish.... Can anyone give me the recipe for tuna muffin's??????????
phatjow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 04:45 AM   #384
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hockeyrules
Stats: 2002-2004: 195/164/130
WOE: Atkins mixed w/ JUDDD
Start Date: 7/15/11 212/190/150
Tuna muffins

FYI, to find a recipe (if it's not in the Recipe Room, or on LindaSue's site):

1. Click the ""Search" button, above,

2. halfway down on that box, click "Advanced Search" (light blue)

3. in the "Search Forums" box, put the name of the recipe you are searching for as the "Key Word(s)", then go to the dropdown box that says "Search Entire Posts" and change that to "Search Titles Only"

That will find just about any recipe ever talked about on this site, as long as you spell it right. For example, when you search tuna muffin, you only get 4 threads; when you search tuna muffins, you get 27.
hockeyrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 06:29 AM   #385
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Maeve
Stats: 224/219/178
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Ongoing
Just trying to be careful...

I have been doing things strictly by the book (Atkins Diabetes Revolution). But I also have two other Atkins books (the original and the DANDR) and I couldn't find anything in the index to read about flaxseed meal at all. I bought two bags of flaxseed meal at the store last night because I saw them and they were on sale, and I really wanted to hear from someone what he said about this stuff, and where the recipe originated. I am dying to try one but as I am moving up the ladder today (adding 5 more of cheese), I really don't want to blow the good work I've already done. I mean, my mouth is watering right now, just thinking about eating one of these things!
Maeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 07:15 AM   #386

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcelt View Post
I have been doing things strictly by the book (Atkins Diabetes Revolution). But I also have two other Atkins books (the original and the DANDR) and I couldn't find anything in the index to read about flaxseed meal at all. I bought two bags of flaxseed meal at the store last night because I saw them and they were on sale, and I really wanted to hear from someone what he said about this stuff, and where the recipe originated. I am dying to try one but as I am moving up the ladder today (adding 5 more of cheese), I really don't want to blow the good work I've already done. I mean, my mouth is watering right now, just thinking about eating one of these things!
It's listed in the Induction chapter to add 2 tbls to your diet to help w/constipation, I think the reference he gave was to sprinkle it over your veggies. Flax seed would be added under the nuts & seeds rung. Go here to find more info Flax Seed Health Benefits and Safety Issues - Flax Seed Nutrition. Just take it slow and easy as Dr. A says and add it back at the appropriate rung if you are following things as written. Some add it back right away and do ok-it's definitely a YMMV thing.
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 07:20 AM   #387
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you SO much for replying to me. I've been thinking about these since last night. I really want to make one this morning.

Oh, fooey. Yeah, I believe nuts and seeds are coming up NEXT week, not this one. But that said, it would seem that if he tells you to sprinkle them on your veggies, then, one on the weekend with my new-found soymilk cappuccino wouldn't be a bad thing, I don't guess... Or, you know, if I'm running out to work and don't have time to make my usual bacon and eggs, I can put this in a cup and do my make-up while it's cooking.

So, I guess I have two choices: either wait until next week and try it or just go ahead and try it today and not have another one until next week...

P.S. my soymilk is unsweetened and works out very nicely for me on the weekend; other than that, it's 1 tablespoon of cream a day divided into my 2 huge cups of tea

Last edited by Maeve; 11-18-2007 at 07:22 AM.. Reason: P.S.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:30 AM   #388
Major LCF Poster!

I'm waiting. Making a ricotta/egg pancake instead.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:51 AM   #389
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gina1
Stats: 193/current 180/goal weight 140
Start Date: starting right now
i use anise in my muffin instead of cinnamon and it tastes and smells really good. kindof like a stella dora cookie.
gina1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 10:44 AM   #390

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gina1 View Post
i use anise in my muffin instead of cinnamon and it tastes and smells really good. kindof like a stella dora cookie.
Don't forget to count the carbs for spices you add to the OneMinuteMuffin. LindaSue has a chart on her website you can print out. genaw.com/lowcarb
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote