Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2007, 09:40 PM   #301
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: AnDee
Stats: 218/183..up 199.6...now 182.2..on the way down!
WOE: Uncomplicated LC - No Flour or Grains
Start Date: Oct. 18, 2004
[COLOR="Navy"]Well, I took the plunge and finally made a OMM. I used a small sandwich plate, so the muffin is about 5" across (looks like a thick pancake). I figure I can toast it at work for breakfast and spread it with some cream cheese. Yum!! I'm also bringing 2 turkey/chicken sausages and the carb count is only 1 carb for everything. Gotta love it.

I used to make the muffins a couple of years ago, so having it again will be a real treat. Back then I used to use a muffin top pan and used some onion & garlic powder to season the muffin - it made a GREAT hamburger bun.
I used to make hot cereal with the flaxmeal, too, and it was delicious. Might try making that again when the weather turns cold (it was 80 degrees today).

Anne [/COLOR]

Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2007, 10:12 PM   #302
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JoSkids
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcenter View Post
I had a grilled cheese sandwich for dinner tonight........... Cooked a plain OMM in a retangular plastic dish. When I cut the OMM in half each piece was exactly the size of a slice of cheese. The slices were just about the same thickness as sliced bread. Stuck some cheese in the middle and grilled it until browned in the skillet. Yum.
Yup that is my "eat every day, don't get tired of" food!! I love my grilled cheese. I add 2T sunflower seeds to my "bread" and it tastes so nutty, yum. Warning - don't use store brand processed cheese slices (I personally like my grilled cheese with the fake stuff although I did buy some brie for a treat) they don't melt. Bought the good old Kraft Singles and they melted almost too good this morning!
JoSkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:32 PM   #303
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Liza79
Stats: 237/214.6/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: On and off for years
I wish that I could shake the hand of the person who came up with the one minute muffins. I think that if I knew about them 5 years ago.. I would have never fallen off the wagon.... they are DELICIOUS! And almond flour.... it's like a party in my mouth.
Liza79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 07:25 AM   #304
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ItsToni
Stats: 5'9" - started@223/199/160
WOE: Atkins (over & over)
Start Date: October 21, 2005
Ok - new muffin this morning - Lemon Poppyseed

1/4 c. flax meal
1/2 t. baking powder
1/2 pkt. splenda
sprinkle of poppyseeds
capfull of lemon extract
1 TB sour cream (instead of butter)
Dash pour of sf vanilla davinci's syrup

I'm eating it now with cream cheese over the top. It's good Could use a tad more lemon flavor (maybe some lemon juice too) and a bit more sweetener OR sweetened cream cheese instead of regular over the top.
ItsToni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 08:40 AM   #305
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: freeman525
Stats: (241)201.8/197.5/141
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart 12/30/13
Banana Nut

After all the raving about banana nut muffins I bought some SF banana syrup and made one this morning. You guys are right. It was great. Now I guess I'll have to try the pumpkin and the lemon poppyseed. What a chore.

Janice
freeman525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 08:47 AM   #306
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: boogie
WOE: diabetic diet
Just another lover of the one minute muffin!!! I will have to try the lemon poopyseed one...looks soooooo good!
boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 12:28 PM   #307
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Sweetpea
Stats: on my way to 110
WOE: my way
Start Date: 04/25/2011
Am I the only one who don't like these?
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 12:52 PM   #308
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SollovesAma
Hey everyone,

Isin't this "one minute muffin" bad on induction? and i seen the nutrional facts on flax meal and it has 8 carbs!! How is this acceptable? Someone please let me know what makes this acceptable on this LC diet? (reminder: i am on induction now, so all the recepies i can get the better!!) :blush:
SollovesAma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 01:07 PM   #309
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hani
Stats: 235/179/thinking about really skinny
WOE: moderate carbs, no sugar.
Start Date: 3/21/03 @235 uncomfortable pounds
hani's one minute brownie muffin--

1 square baking chocolate
2-3T butter
equiv to 1/2 c. sugar (i used 1/4 c. cyclomate and a few T coffee davinci)
1/4 c. flax meal
1 egg

melt choc square and butter in glass measuring cup in microwave.
add sugar subs
add flax meal
add egg
cook for a minute or so.

very yummy.
hani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 01:16 PM   #310
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: carrielyn
Stats: 186/177/140
WOE: SBD
Start Date: restarting 1/18/11
I tried this with flax.....I tried it using half flax and half almond flour both are good but a bit spongy. I purchased a low carb flour and I'm going to try using a bit of each. A 1/4 cup is 4 tbspns so I'll see if I can get a more bread like texture breaking the recipe down. A tbspn of this and one of that, etc.

I think I have to be careful with these for multiple reasons but 2 or 3 times a week would be something to look forward to.

If it turns out nice would anyone like to know?
Old 09-27-2007, 01:22 PM   #311
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

toni, how about some sugar free lemonade powdered drink mix (crystal lite) for additional lemon flavor?

I had my grilled cheese with brie - eh, I am going back to processed cheese.

Now I can see trying to make little cracker thingies and spreading brie on those, but not melting it in a sandwich - just loses something in the translation
Old 09-27-2007, 01:28 PM   #312
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ItsToni
Stats: 5'9" - started@223/199/160
WOE: Atkins (over & over)
Start Date: October 21, 2005
Sweetpeasgram - some like them, some don't. I think it depends on how much you miss bread LOL I'm one who looks forward to the flax "bread" each day

Sollovesama - some say these are induction safe because the carbs in flax are all fiber carbs. though, I don't think flax meal is on the acceptable foods list in induction. to be safe, I would refrain for your 2 week period - it's only 2 weeks

Hani - God Bless you - Brownies are a downfall of mine - I'll be trying this one!

Carrilyn - please share anything that you come up with! many of us are having fun being creative with the muffins

joskids - didn't think of lemonade crystal light - I have some so will try it in the am
Old 09-27-2007, 01:28 PM   #313
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SollovesAma View Post
Hey everyone,

Isin't this "one minute muffin" bad on induction? and i seen the nutrional facts on flax meal and it has 8 carbs!! How is this acceptable? Someone please let me know what makes this acceptable on this LC diet? (reminder: i am on induction now, so all the recepies i can get the better!!) :blush:
It is all fiber so if you subract fiber from carbs - which I do, it negates itself - it' going right through.
Old 09-27-2007, 02:11 PM   #314
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: msdee54
Stats: 264/215/160
WOE: Atkins/HHCG
Start Date: July 7, 2009
My 2 weeks of induction have been so painless partly because of this muffin that I didn't even realize until a few minutes ago that my 14 days is over today.

I have lost a total of 11lbs as of today , I was carbed up from vacation so I'm not counting the 4 I lost before I officially started induction.

The flax keeps me full and satisfied until late in the day (not necessarily a good thing) .

I have had it with Sugar free syrup and butter along with my bacon & eggs or lately I've been having grilled cheese and bacon or grilled cheese and ham.

I'm beginning to suspect that the 2 slices of colby or monterey jack (og carbs a slice) are slowing me up because most of my loss was before I changed over from the 2g carbs a slice Kraft slices.

I'm going to stop the colby and maybe do 2 more weeks of induction .

Any thoughts?

Dee
msdee54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 02:24 PM   #315
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SollovesAma View Post
Hey everyone,

Technically it's not on the allowable list of Induction foods. Dr. A did allow 2 tbls of flaxmeal sprinkled on your veggies or in a shake for constipation.
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 02:48 PM   #316
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisabinil View Post
Technically it's not on the allowable list of Induction foods. Dr. A did allow 2 tbls of flaxmeal sprinkled on your veggies or in a shake for constipation.
Well, a serving has 8g carbs but also 8g fiber so virtually no net carbs. I have been allowing 3g carbs for this to be on the safe side..

I'm thinking though that maybe I should do another 2 weeks of induction with no muffin and not much cheese and see what happens .

Dee
Old 09-27-2007, 02:51 PM   #317
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: carrielyn
Stats: 186/177/140
WOE: SBD
Start Date: restarting 1/18/11
Quote:
Then the OMM can be made. Using the 2 tbls of flax meal along with 1/8 cup of egg substitute, half the baking powder add a touch of butter or oil and one can have a piece of toast or a small muffin with breakfast.
carrielyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 03:04 PM   #318

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdee54 View Post
Well, a serving has 8g carbs but also 8g fiber so virtually no net carbs. I have been allowing 3g carbs for this to be on the safe side..

I'm thinking though that maybe I should do another 2 weeks of induction with no muffin and not much cheese and see what happens .

Dee

If you're doing well with it and still losing I wouldn't change anything. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Are you going to move up the rungs of OWL? I have and have been satisfied with my foods and WOE and have not felt the need to cheat or binge. I see so many posts of those who stay on strict Induction and don't properly move up the rungs and end up losing all their weight and not knowing how to maintain properly.
Old 09-27-2007, 03:20 PM   #319
Senior LCF Member

Hey Lisa,

Yes, I totally plan on doing the plan as advised going up the rungs to find out what my ccl is .

This is the last time I want to do this so I want to learn how to do this woe properly to make it a real lifetime woe.

I think I did well on induction but I'm slowing up now basically I've been the same weight up or down a lb for the last 5 days or so makes me think I should re-do induction but I guess I have to take it 1 day at a time and re-read some chapters of the book.

I do realize I lost a lot and I'm grateful for my 11lb loss maybe my body is just catching up.

thanks, Lisa
Old 09-29-2007, 05:43 AM   #320
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: puttchikins
maybe someone wrote this already..I confess I didn't read all of the 11 pages..Transitioning from ******* and definitely in need of fiber, lots of fiber..Anyway I put all the ingredients in a magic bullet glass blended them and cooked them in the same glass they came out fine! Next time I am going to pam the glass before I cook them thats it..Like 2 minutes from start to finish...
puttchikins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 07:52 AM   #321
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cablegriz
Stats: 218/178/200/140
WOE: LC, Insulin Resistant on Metformin HCL 2000mg
Start Date: April 23, 2010 a restart for my health
Quote:

If you're doing well with it and still losing I wouldn't change anything. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Are you going to move up the rungs of OWL? I have and have been satisfied with my foods and WOE and have not felt the need to cheat or binge. I see so many posts of those who stay on strict Induction and don't properly move up the rungs and end up losing all their weight and not knowing how to maintain properly.
Lisa: Speaking of this........ When reading the book (months ago) I remember it being vague on how to move up the carb ladder, just added 5 extra carbs and see how it goes? Or is there more of a concrete way of doing it? Thanks!

Also, yesterday I took
2 Tblsp. melted butter,
1/4 Cup flax,
1/2 tsp. Bpowder,
large pinch granular splenda,
dash salt,
pinch of onion powder,
1 Tbsp shredded parmesan, and
1 large egg.
Mixed it up and spread it out on an 8" round plate. Microwaved it for about 1 1/2 min. removed to paper plate, and let it cool, then used it to wrap up turkey, cheese, lettuce, tomato, and mayo! it was really good, made a huge wrap. and actually stayed together!

For the muffin: Has anyone tried using zucchini yet? what about left over spaghetti squash? and how much?

Have a great day!

Last edited by Cablegriz; 09-29-2007 at 07:53 AM..
Cablegriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 08:00 AM   #322

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cablegriz View Post
Lisa: Speaking of this........ When reading the book (months ago) I remember it being vague on how to move up the carb ladder, just added 5 extra carbs and see how it goes? Or is there more of a concrete way of doing it? Thanks!

Also, yesterday I took
2 Tblsp. melted butter,
1/4 Cup flax,
1/2 tsp. Bpowder,
large pinch granular splenda,
dash salt,
pinch of onion powder,
1 Tbsp shredded parmesan, and
1 large egg.
Mixed it up and spread it out on an 8" round plate. Microwaved it for about 1 1/2 min. removed to paper plate, and let it cool, then used it to wrap up turkey, cheese, lettuce, tomato, and mayo! it was really good, made a huge wrap. and actually stayed together!

For the muffin: Has anyone tried using zucchini yet? what about left over spaghetti squash? and how much?

Have a great day!
I don't have the book in front of me (so I may be wrong) but I believe it says to add the 5 carbs of a new food in 2 or 3 times a week at first to see how it goes before you try to have it everyday. Most people go too gungho and have it everyday-you're got to give your digestive system time to catch up and show any changes. It's not an overnight process and you have to be patient. I think that should be my new mantra, patience my child, patience. If it doesn't stall you then you can have it when you want if you don't have cravings or weight gain. I did that with my 1/2 of an apple this week. I had it spaced out 2 days apart and didn't notice any weight gain from it so I will incorporate it more often. It's 9 net carbs but it is a healthy food I enjoy and brings satisfaction to my WOE as long as I control myself with it.

Last edited by lisabinil; 09-29-2007 at 08:01 AM..
Old 09-29-2007, 08:02 AM   #323
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shelby7851
Stats: 246/230/199(mini)
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 06/26/13
Son of a gun. If this doesnt taste like a real muffin. wow. another skeptic, that is in love!!!
shelby7851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 10:40 AM   #324
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tecnokitty
Stats: 222/125/150 After Baby/Now:241/145/150
WOE: Atkins 72, I'm 5'7", 36 years old
Start Date: Restarted 6/22/07. In a size 4-6 jeans now!
Has anyone used a silicone muffin cup in the microwave to make these? I use the coffee cup to make them for my DH but I was wondering if I could use the silicone so they are actually shaped like a muffin?
Tecnokitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 11:33 AM   #325
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cablegriz
Stats: 218/178/200/140
WOE: LC, Insulin Resistant on Metformin HCL 2000mg
Start Date: April 23, 2010 a restart for my health
Tecnokitty,
I'm sure you can, I have put the mix into a larger rounded bottom tupperware bowl and had it come out more like one of the bigger muffins you'd buy at the store.
Bethy
Cablegriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 11:44 AM   #326
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tecnokitty
Stats: 222/125/150 After Baby/Now:241/145/150
WOE: Atkins 72, I'm 5'7", 36 years old
Start Date: Restarted 6/22/07. In a size 4-6 jeans now!
Thanks Bethy, I think I will give it a try tomorrow. The silicone muffin cups I have are not the large ones, they are medium size so I think it should make 2.

I also have another question. Is anyone using stevia to sweeten these instead of the 1 packet of Splenda? If so, how much are you using? the conversion on the bottles does not seem to be at all correct. I have to use alot more then what it says so I am curious if anyone else has experimented with this so I don't mess it up and DH ends up spitting it out..lol.
GOAL ACHIEVED 10/14/09
http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php...18192594884448
Tecnokitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 12:19 PM   #327
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tymom
Stats: Big/ not so big/ small
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: August (this time around)
OK!!!!! Well I passed over this thread a hundred times and today finally made my first one... it was great!!! Loved it ... THANKS!!!!
tymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 12:31 PM   #328
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: VGrace
Stats: 180/156.2/130
WOE: LC
Start Date: 12/28/11
same here Tymom!! I just made the 1st recipe,so i plan to browse here later and find more recipes!!
VGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 12:41 PM   #329
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dbunny
Stats: 5'10"
WOE: Atkins ~ HCG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecnokitty View Post
I also have another question. Is anyone using stevia to sweeten these instead of the 1 packet of Splenda? If so, how much are you using? the conversion on the bottles does not seem to be at all correct. I have to use alot more then what it says so I am curious if anyone else has experimented with this so I don't mess it up and DH ends up spitting it out..lol.

i have been mixing stevia, splenda and torani french vanilla syrup when i make a sweet muffin. my stevia is powder form and has a teeny scoop in the bottle and i add one of those. it seems to 'round out' the flavor or the muffin. i also add a dash of salt now. before i used just splenda and it was kinda blah... now it rocks! i make it in a square plastic container, then toast it...yum!
dbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 01:04 PM   #330
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

techno - I don't use stevia, however I tried some liquid stevia when I was at my friend's this summer and I put in way more than I would ever put in of any other kind of artificial sweetener and it still didn't seem very sweet to me - at which point I stopped adding it cause I have heard rumors of it tasting bitter so I couldn't actually tell you how much to use, but for me it was more than I would expect and there is a fine line between just enough and too much. Good luck

If hunger is not the problem, food is not the answer!

Be Prepared - It's not just a Boy Scout motto anymore!

If anyone doesn't think their plan is the best; they should probably be looking for a new plan. - Jezzie