Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2007, 05:37 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Barbara Ray
Stats: 230/150/162/150
WOE: Low Calorie/Low Glycemic Load/Low Carb
Whey Low

I just heard about this product and was wondering IF anyone has tried it? And IF so what are your thoughts comparing this product with Splenda or any of the "sugar" blends found on this site.

Thanks one and ALL!
Barbara Ray is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2007, 01:44 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dixie Barkley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Ray View Post
I just heard about this product and was wondering IF anyone has tried it? And IF so what are your thoughts comparing this product with Splenda or any of the "sugar" blends found on this site.

Thanks one and ALL!
Barbara, I have hesitated to respond to your posting because many of the experts in the low carb community are very much against Whey Low and say that it is sugar, pure and simple. I am in no way an expert and all I can give you is my experience with the product.

It has never had an effect on my bgl and for me that tells the tale. I have Type II diabetes but am not much of a real "sweets" person. I have always used Sweet & Low in my iced tea and Splenda or Sweetzfree in other applications. I like the Whey Low to make sugared pecans during the holidays and in recipes where I need the feel of bulk. I use their Whey Low Gold when recipes call for brown sugar and it does a very fine job. I like the Whey Low products too because they replace sugar on a 1 to 1 ratio. I will say the only place where the Whey Low product or any other sugar replacement product falls short in my opinion is on fresh strawberries. Nothing has ever come closed to duplicating sugar in this area.

I hope I have given you some helpful information.
Dixie Barkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 02:30 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
I found this info online:

"4. Is Whey Low® effective for low-carbohydrate dieters?

Because of their low glycemic index, Whey Low® Granular, Whey Low® Granular Packets, Whey Low® Gold, Whey Low® Powder, Whey Low® for Ice Cream, and Whey Low® Maple are all ideal for low-carb dieters. The available carbohydrate count or impact carbohydrates for Whey Low® in combination with dietary carbohydrates is only 1 gram of carbohydrates per 1 teaspoon serving. The carbohydrate count for table sugar is 4 grams per teaspoon."
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 03:39 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: StacyW
I use this and love it! I have used it for a couple of years now. It tastes just like sugar. No funky taste to it. About a year and a half ago I was diagnosed with PCOS and pre-diabetes. I took the info that I had on Whey Low to my doctor and was told that it would be great for me to use. It does not affect me adversely. It is a product that I use daily. I love it!
StacyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 07:43 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

WOW - thanks to all of you! I was wondering IF I'd ever get any responses.

Dixie - yes - your experience with the product is VERY helpful information

Nigel - thanks

and js - thanks for the comment about the "funky" taste - that's what I hate most of all - especially the "cooling" effect of erythritol which I find MOST overwhelming in some chocolate recipes.

I've done some further research on my own - and although I lost my weight doing nothing but low carb - since then I've incorporated the glycemic load into my daily diet - and EVEN "they" say a "little" bit of sugar is okay - however, I do try to stay away from "real" sugar. In addition - most of the fruits we eat have the same "ingredients" as Whey Low - AND - the BEST part is that it contains no Sugar Alcohols (I don't have an issue with them - but others do). So, I am going to order a bag of the "white" and one of the "brown" - and see how my body reacts to it. And go from there - hopefully I will have found a permanent substitute that will make my "baking" life a whole lot easier! It seems to get anything right you need a degree in molecular engineering!!! lol!

Again - thanks to you ALL!
Old 08-23-2007, 03:27 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I was telling my DH about this thread and he asked me if I let you know that once you try it you will never want to use another sugar substitute. He is right about that.

It even cooks like regular sugar. I use it on top of creme brulee and it burns like sugar. I should be a Whey Low rep...
Old 08-23-2007, 04:04 PM   #7
Tom
Administrator

Gallery: Tom
Whey Low is composed of simple sugars (fructose, lactose and sucrose). I believe we know that the three simple sugars individually will taste good, but are not good for low carbers.

I think the big issue about Whey Low has always been whether there is really some canceling effect created by combining the three simple sugars.

I think the best way to determine that is to have a lot of people report back on their blood sugar levels after consuming it plain.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 04:09 PM   #8

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
I tried it quite awhile ago and its not for me. My blood glucose levels reacted just like they do to sugar....I tossed mine.
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 10:32 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswalker1992 View Post
I was telling my DH about this thread and he asked me if I let you know that once you try it you will never want to use another sugar substitute. He is right about that.

It even cooks like regular sugar. I use it on top of creme brulee and it burns like sugar. I should be a Whey Low rep...
Yea - you should!!!

Thanks for your DH's input!!! Since you use it all the time have you noticed any negative effects - that's a "dumb" question - but thought I'd ask it anyway! Have you been able to maintain your weight?

I'm not a diabetic so I'm not concerned about what so many folks do NEED to be concerned with. I eat all kinds of fruits (which have the same properties as the Whey Low) and do "cheat" from time to time - with NO negative effects and NO weight gain! And - by the way "exercise" is a dirty word in my language - so I don't "sweat it off"! I've just been able to maintain!

I'm mainly looking for something I can bake with that doesn't have all those "chemical" tastes. Also, I bake a lot of things that I bring to church socials - and although I have NO problem with sugar alcohols - other folks (especially the "older" ones) do - so I am VERY cautious about the ingredients in what I bring.

Anyway - let me know about your weight maintenance.

Thanks
Old 08-23-2007, 10:42 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Whey Low is composed of simple sugars (fructose, lactose and sucrose). I believe we know that the three simple sugars individually will taste good, but are not good for low carbers.

I think the big issue about Whey Low has always been whether there is really some canceling effect created by combining the three simple sugars.

I think the best way to determine that is to have a lot of people report back on their blood sugar levels after consuming it plain.

Hi Tom,

I am not at the present time a "true" low carber - I have incorporated the glycemic load into my daily living - and find I'm able to consume many things that are otherwise "restricted" on a TRUE low carb regimen.

I do believe there are folks who absolutely MUST not use this product BECAUSE of health reasons. But there are many of us that aren't all that "happy" with the products available in terms of the aftertaste and/or the "chemical" taste - who would be able to metabolize this product successfully. In addition there are many folks who have problems with sugar alcohols. So an "across the board" BAN is not appropriate.

I do concur with the point you made about people "reporting" how this products effect them.

Thanks!
Old 08-24-2007, 08:30 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Ray View Post
Yea - you should!!!

Thanks for your DH's input!!! Since you use it all the time have you noticed any negative effects - that's a "dumb" question - but thought I'd ask it anyway! Have you been able to maintain your weight?

I'm not a diabetic so I'm not concerned about what so many folks do NEED to be concerned with. I eat all kinds of fruits (which have the same properties as the Whey Low) and do "cheat" from time to time - with NO negative effects and NO weight gain! And - by the way "exercise" is a dirty word in my language - so I don't "sweat it off"! I've just been able to maintain!

I'm mainly looking for something I can bake with that doesn't have all those "chemical" tastes. Also, I bake a lot of things that I bring to church socials - and although I have NO problem with sugar alcohols - other folks (especially the "older" ones) do - so I am VERY cautious about the ingredients in what I bring.

Anyway - let me know about your weight maintenance.

Thanks
Actually, I am in the process of losing weight. I have lost about 55 pounds since the beginning of the year. I haven't had any issues like I have had with sugar alcohols. My kids use it; we don't buy the regular sugar at all. Everyone here really likes it. I have also used the brown sugar and the powdered sugar and have enjoyed those a lot. I bake with it; no one knows the difference. Personally, I think that it is a tad sweeter than regular sugar, so there are times that I cut back on it. Like I said, we love it!
Old 08-24-2007, 10:57 AM   #12
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: jackieba
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: October 2005
I haven't tried it because it contains sucrose (regular white sugar). I eat fruit but I don't consider fructose from fresh fruit to be the same as highly refined fructose. I would be interested to hear how it affects other people's bloodsugar. I am not a diabetic. I can eat sugar and still maintain my weight (in moderation of course)--I'm just choosing not to do that. But each to his own--whatever works for ya. If I were making something to take to a church function or similar, I'd just go ahead and use sugar.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:50 PM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ekrulo
Stats: 250.5/212.5/140
WOE: LC/Atkins'72/Kimkins
Start Date: June 1, 2007
I've tried it and it's delicious; but having said that, I have so much weight to lose that I don't really want to take the chance of sabotaging myself right now... (scaredy-cat!) I do plan, however, to experiment with it a lot more once I hit maintenance.
ekrulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 03:06 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackieba View Post
I haven't tried it because it contains sucrose (regular white sugar). I eat fruit but I don't consider fructose from fresh fruit to be the same as highly refined fructose. I would be interested to hear how it affects other people's bloodsugar. I am not a diabetic. I can eat sugar and still maintain my weight (in moderation of course)--I'm just choosing not to do that. But each to his own--whatever works for ya. If I were making something to take to a church function or similar, I'd just go ahead and use sugar.

Good point about bringing "real" sugar made "goodies" - but I try to bring something that the many, many people who are diabetics can have a "treat" as well. I certainly wouldn't bother otherwise - it's REAL easy to made a cake from cake mix compared to making something LC.
Old 08-25-2007, 06:26 AM   #15
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: jackieba
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: October 2005
I wouldn't use Whey Low and give it to diabetics--it does contain real table sugar. If giving to diabetics, I'd stick with Splenda/Erythritol combo. I feel it's better to play it safe especially where someone else's health is concerned.

Last edited by jackieba; 08-25-2007 at 06:29 AM..
jackieba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 06:33 AM   #16

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
Yes, even whey low has a different formulation for diabetics. That should tell you something in itself about the regular whey low.
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote