Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2007, 06:01 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jennywren
Quick LC Bread or Bun--

Sometime ago, I posted this recipe-tweak for LC "bread" (recipe=4 slices, 1 carb each). I was thinking I should share it again, for anyone who might be wishing for bread, and never saw it or forgot about it. Even tho I love making Kevinpa's wonderful bread recipes (Thanks btw, Kevinpa), when I have the time to do so--this little recipe has been a lifesaver for me. Soooo fast and easy! Ready in less than 5 min, while the meal is cooking.

It looks and has a texture alot like reg. multi-grain bread, and I LOVE having it in my LC bag of tricks. Nuked in a round container, itworks/tastes great for a burger, IMO. Looks just like an English Muffin--opens the door to all sorts of breakfast sandwiches...AND makes great french toast. It toasts well in the toaster, and goes super with "runny" eggs, just like toast--or with your fave jelly--or peanut butter! Sometimes, use 2 slices with a slice of cheese & slice of ham, grill it on a heated skillet, for a yummy crunchy toasted ham-n-cheese! Makes great BLT's too!

If I'm going to use for a "savory" (like a burger or sandwich)...I add some onion or garlic powder. If for "sweet" then add 1/4 tsp nutmeg and/or cinnamon to it. That helps cover any CQ taste if your tastebuds notice that.

I don't know how to create a link to the other thread...but here's the recipe, if you'd like to give it a try. And you can find the old thread if you search on Tasty Lowcarb Bread Tweak--alot of discussion there..

Darn Good LC Bread...EASY and QUICK!

Combine in the container you will nuke it in:
1/3 c. Carbquik

2 Tbsp. dk flaxmeal (golden looks nearly like white bread...I like the dark--looks kinda like multi-grain types and I like the flavor it adds)

about half/packet Splenda to your taste (sm. paper pkts)...see *note below

In small bowl, beat 1 egg

add 2 Tbsp water
*(Vanilla SF syrup can be used for half of it...then NO dry Splenda)

1 Tbsp. oil (usually extra virgin olive oil--sometimes butter, or bacon grease)

Blend in dry ingredients and mix well. (If it's too stiff, add a few drops of water--consistency should be slightly thicker than pancake batter. Want it soft & moist--not soggy. If that happens, needs to be nuked slightly longer next time.

I usually stir altogether in the container to be used for cooking in the microwave. Scrape down the sides and nuke on high for 1 1/2 to 2 min. Check at 1 1/2 min--should spring back when touched lightly with a fingertip. Can make it square if using for reg. sandwich, but not as many slices, i.e. more carbs per slice. Round, it works like an English muffin for an egg mcmuffin, or just toasted w/sf jelly.

Turn it out upside down, and let it cool slightly, till you can slice horizontally into about 4 slices, abt thickness of commercial bread slices...sometimes a little thicker if for burgers or other juicy sandwiches; however, even 2 thinner slices are quite filling!

It's a fine textured, not-quite yeast-bread consistency, and I don't notice any off-taste...but I do add the appropriate spices for savory or sweet. Recently made "garlic toast" with it...buttered the slice, sprinkled on garlic powder, and toasted in the toaster oven! Yummo.

Sorry for the long post, but must give credit to CarolynF for posting the Pancake recipe that I tweaked from. Thanks again CarolynF, this has helped me more than you'll ever know.

Jenn
Jennywren is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2007, 06:10 PM   #2

Gallery: red14him
Jenny, thank you so much. To tell the truth, I shy away from recipes that call for complicated ingredients. This is a LIFESAVER. Thank you.
red14him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 08:22 PM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Hey, Jenny..you are sweet..and thanks for bumping this up..It helps us remember how good this is.
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 01:53 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Phaedra
Stats: 248/171/160
WOE: WW
Start Date: January 2005
This Recipe is a true JOY!

Thank you Jenn.

This one recipe has greatly improved my LC life style. As I needed a more portable diet. This bread renewed my interest in cooking and meal planning.Easy to make,terrific taste and fun to work with.

My hats off to you,
Namaste
Phaedra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 08:06 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nolagina
Stats: 236/169/140
WOE: Protein Power
Start Date: December 2006
FYI... I put this in MasterCook... Here are the stats for the recipe above
This is for the whole recipe.
286 calories; 24 g fat; 15 g carbs; 10 g fiber; 5 g net carbs; 13 g protein
nolagina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 11:02 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nolagina
Stats: 236/169/140
WOE: Protein Power
Start Date: December 2006
Oh and I tried this bread last night... I added just a bit of italian seasoning and garlic powder.. It was pretty tasty... Will be doing this again....
nolagina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 12:16 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CreekWatcher
Thanks for the reminder. Have to make this again and try it with a few new things.
CreekWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:16 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dmburk
Stats: 260/185/190
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Feb 2011
I made this in a square container. It was very bread-like. I used it to eat with a bread dip I made for a party.
dmburk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:29 AM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Dorcas you'll love this stuff. I use to love CQ , now just can't eat it.

Check out the CQ thread.
rosethorns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:08 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jennywren
Gosh...here it is again--LOL! Still love this little recipe--I use it pretty often actually.

I like to make toasted sandwiches with it in a sprayed skillet (doesn't need butter on the outside to grill it to a wonderful color and crunch.) If you lightly grill the surface on inside of sandwich before you assemble it, you can even make a Reuben--I layer my well-drained sauerkraut between the swiss and the meat to help against soaking the bread.

I also use it for french toast...just be careful when dipping it from the egg-batter onto skillet...it gets quite delicate when soaked up (I use a wide spatula so it doesn't break apart). Pretty darn close to being the real thing.

Even tho we have alot of new recipes in our "bag of bread tricks", I really love this and use it couple times a week just cuz it's so darned quick and easy.....and TASTY!

Wish it didn't cause trouble for you guys who can't use the Carbquik. Jenn

Last edited by Jennywren; 01-31-2013 at 12:10 PM..
Jennywren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:11 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shopgirl
Stats: 255/234/135
WOE: Low Carb / 5:2
Start Date: May 31, 2011
Subbing.
shopgirl is offline   Reply With Quote