Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Pecan Pie Muffins recipe with questions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/507181-pecan-pie-muffins-recipe-questions.html)

Sweeteater 07-26-2007 09:22 AM

Pecan Pie Muffins recipe with questions
 
I really want to try to make these lowcarb. What would be the best brown sugar substitute? I understand it really plays a big part in the taste. I also
have another recipe which calls for the mini-muffin pan, which I think I'll be using.

http://images.allrecipes.com/global/...mall/16945.jpg


Pecan Pie Muffins

INGREDIENTS
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup chopped pecans
2/3 cup butter, softened
2 eggs, beaten

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour 18 mini muffin cups or line with paper muffin liners.
In a medium bowl, stir together brown sugar, flour and pecans. In a separate bowl beat the butter and eggs together until smooth, stir into the dry ingredients just until combined. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups. Cups should be about 2/3 full.
Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 20 to 25 minutes. Cool on wire racks when done.


TIA!

CarolynF 07-26-2007 09:38 AM

Hey...great minds think alike..I saw this recipe in Guideposts and wanted to ask the same question..Gosh, those look good.

I don't know if Diabetisweet Brown Sugar would work for this..Where is our Kevin?????

Bfranke 07-26-2007 10:10 AM

I would think that the Diabetisweet Brown would be the best choice...or maybe molasses, erythritol and splenda. I would use Kevins latest flour mix, or Jena Marie cake flour.
They do sound good.
Bette

CarolynF 07-26-2007 10:20 AM

Bette: Give them a whirl..:) I need more butter!!

LindaSue 07-26-2007 11:51 AM

These muffins have a similar kind of flavor. I might use a little blackstrap molasses in them for a bit more of a brown sugar flavor.

MAPLE-PECAN MUFFINS
4 ounces almond flour, 1 cup
1/2 cup golden flax meal, 2 ounces
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup granular Splenda or equivalent liquid Splenda
1 teaspoon maple extract
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons heavy cream
2 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons butter, softened
2 eggs
1 ounce pecans, chopped, 1/4 cup

In a medium bowl, stir together the almond flour, flax meal, baking powder, salt and granular Splenda, if using. If you're using liquid Splenda, mix it in a custard dish with the extracts, cream and water. Combine everything with the dry ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon until well blended. Fill 6 paper-lined muffin cups with the batter, dividing it evenly among them. You can spray the liners with cooking spray, but they didn't seem to stick too much. Bake at 350 15-20 minutes, until the tops are golden brown. Cool 5 minutes on a rack before removing from the pan. Serve warm or at room temperature. Store in the refrigerator. Serve with butter or Cream Cheese Spread.

Makes 6 servings
Can be frozen

With granular Splenda:
Per Muffin: 284 Calories; 24g Fat; 8g Protein; 12g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 7g Net Carbs

With liquid Splenda:
Per Muffin: 268 Calories; 24g Fat; 8g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carbs

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/food_ph...an_muffins.jpg

Sweeteater 07-26-2007 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarolynF (Post 8969518)
Hey...great minds think alike..I saw this recipe in Guideposts and wanted to ask the same question..Gosh, those look good.

I don't know if Diabetisweet Brown Sugar would work for this..Where is our Kevin?????


I first saw the recipe in a Quick Cooking annual recipes book...so the recipe is in Guideposts, too? Must be a goodie! :up:

I was wondering about DBS. I was kinda hoping Kevin would take a stab at it in his spare time (:D) and post his results along with those wonderful pics you can practically smell. :up:

Sweeteater 07-26-2007 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bfranke (Post 8969749)
I would think that the Diabetisweet Brown would be the best choice...or maybe molasses, erythritol and splenda. I would use Kevins latest flour mix, or Jena Marie cake flour.
They do sound good.
Bette

Bette, just what I was thinking...a mixture would probably work best. :)

Sweeteater 07-26-2007 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LindaSue (Post 8970425)
These muffins have a similar kind of flavor. I might use a little blackstrap molasses in them for a bit more of a brown sugar flavor.

MAPLE-PECAN MUFFINS
4 ounces almond flour, 1 cup
1/2 cup golden flax meal, 2 ounces
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup granular Splenda or equivalent liquid Splenda
1 teaspoon maple extract
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons heavy cream
2 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons butter, softened
2 eggs
1 ounce pecans, chopped, 1/4 cup

In a medium bowl, stir together the almond flour, flax meal, baking powder, salt and granular Splenda, if using. If you're using liquid Splenda, mix it in a custard dish with the extracts, cream and water. Combine everything with the dry ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon until well blended. Fill 6 paper-lined muffin cups with the batter, dividing it evenly among them. You can spray the liners with cooking spray, but they didn't seem to stick too much. Bake at 350 15-20 minutes, until the tops are golden brown. Cool 5 minutes on a rack before removing from the pan. Serve warm or at room temperature. Store in the refrigerator. Serve with butter or Cream Cheese Spread.

Makes 6 servings
Can be frozen

With granular Splenda:
Per Muffin: 284 Calories; 24g Fat; 8g Protein; 12g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 7g Net Carbs

With liquid Splenda:
Per Muffin: 268 Calories; 24g Fat; 8g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carbs

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/food_ph...an_muffins.jpg

Linda,:notwrthy:

hmm, blackstrap molasses...I've heard some good things about BSM.
Thanks for pointing this recipe out. I do like to use almond meal, so that
would probably work in this recipe, too.

CarolynF 07-26-2007 03:30 PM

Okay..I sacrificed myself and made 1/2 a batch. They are SOOOOOO yummy..

I just did this very quickly..

For the brown sugar, I used the granular Splenda, plus 1 Tbs. of the Brown Diabetisweet (cuz I wasn't sure how much BDS would taste)

Then for the flour, I was lazy and had 1/2 almond flour, 1/2 vanilla protein powder..I think you could do 1/2 almond, 1/2 Carbalose, etc.

Then for pecans I got those pecan chips for cookies..OR chop your pecans up into little bits so you get lots of pecans in each muffin.

They are wonderful......:)

Sweeteater 07-26-2007 03:39 PM

girl! :up: You are too fast! Thanks for trying them and for the tips.

I have some Carbquik...think that would work in place of the carbalose?

Did you use the full size muffin cup pan?

How many did 1/2 batch make?

TIA!

CarolynF 07-26-2007 03:44 PM

Yup..I really meant CQuik could be used, too..

I made 6 muffins..I only filled them 1/2 way and they were smallish, but very tasty. I used cupcake tins..not the big giant muffin tins.

PLUS: Be sure to Pam your papers..I didn't do that because I thought there was alot of butter in the recipe..I would Pam them next time.

Sweeteater 07-26-2007 03:46 PM

thanks! :)

CarolynF 07-26-2007 04:32 PM

I'll be interested in how other peeps do with these.

Kevin is busy with his wedding stuff..Father of the bride..Can't wait to see his pics.

Sue421 07-26-2007 06:08 PM

Carolyn that sounds tasty! Thanks for trying them. I'm going to give them a whirl as well next week. I'm a bit busy as of right now.

CarolynF 07-27-2007 07:28 AM

bumping because these are fantastic..I froze the ones I made and just zapped one for breakie..........Can you say pecan pie?

Sweeteater 07-27-2007 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarolynF (Post 8973894)
bumping because these are fantastic..I froze the ones I made and just zapped one for breakie..........Can you say pecan pie?



oh, yum! :up: I can't wait to get everything together to make these!!!

Sweeteater 08-08-2007 10:21 AM

ok, finally got around to making these last night...here's how I did it

Pecan Pie Muffins

INGREDIENTS
1 cup granular Splenda
1 T Blackstrap Molasses
1/4 cup carbquik plus 1/4 cup almond meal
1 cup chopped pecans
2/3 cup butter, softened
2 eggs, beaten

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour 18 mini muffin cups or line with paper muffin liners.
In a medium bowl, stir together splenda, flours/meal and pecans. In a separate bowl beat the butter and eggs together until smooth, add the Blackstrap Molasses, and stir into the dry ingredients just until combined. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups. Cups should be about 2/3 full.

Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 20 to 25 minutes. Cool on wire racks when done.

******************

They were pretty good, tho I wish they had been a little more like a pecan pie filling. Maybe I need to bake them for a shorter time. The almond meal made them grainer, so maybe Carolyn's protein powder would be better instead of the almond meal. This still didn't stop me from taste-testing about 4 of them. :eek:

They were better this morning. :) I put the remainder in the freezer and will make the other peeps some high-carb muffins to take on my upcoming camping trip. Don't want them eating up all my goodies. :D

CarolynF 08-08-2007 12:33 PM

Sweet: I DID cook them a shorter time..They might have dried out a bit at the longer
time. However, with all that butter..:)

These taste like pecan pie cake to me..Did the molasses have a strong flavor?

Sweeteater 08-08-2007 12:37 PM

It was a little stronger in the batter than the baked muffin. I think it did add some brown-sugar like flavor. :up:

kcjudi 12-03-2007 07:41 AM

CarolynF's Pecan Pie Muffins revisited!
 
Finally got around to trying these!

First batch I used Carbquick, then here is the second try. First batch the texture was a little strange, but still good. So here is my second try. Much much better! It was difficult not to eat the entire 12 muffins!!!

Pecan Pie Muffins

INGREDIENTS
1 cup granular Splenda (I used liquid)
1 tsp vanilla
1 T Blackstrap Molasses
1/4 cup French Vanilla protein powder + 1/4 cup almond meal
1 cup finely chopped pecans
2/3 cup butter, softened
2 eggs, beaten

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F . Spray with Pam 12 foil muffin tin liners
In a bowl beat the butter and eggs & vanilla together until smooth, add the Blackstrap Molasses, and dry ingredients, stir until just combined. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups.

Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 15 minutes. Cool on wire racks when done.

Wonderful, really tastes like pecan pie!!! A definite keeper.

CarolynF 12-03-2007 07:50 AM

Thanks for bumping these...:) I need to whip some up.

Determinedtolose 12-03-2007 08:58 AM

Oh boy! Something else to add to my Christmas baking!!! I'm making mini muffins with this instead.

I have looked everywhere for BSM and can't find it. Where do you all get it?

CarolynF 12-03-2007 09:27 AM

Diana..Blackstrap Molasses is everywhere..near the pancake syrup or the cooking corn syrups..:) I member in the olden days, we used to have it on a piece of bread..BAD!

Sweeteater 12-03-2007 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcjudi (Post 9579914)
Finally got around to trying these!

First batch I used Carbquick, then here is the second try. First batch the texture was a little strange, but still good. So here is my second try. Much much better! It was difficult not to eat the entire 12 muffins!!!

Pecan Pie Muffins

INGREDIENTS
1 cup granular Splenda (I used liquid)
1 tsp vanilla
1 T Blackstrap Molasses
1/4 cup French Vanilla protein powder + 1/4 cup almond meal
1 cup finely chopped pecans
2/3 cup butter, softened
2 eggs, beaten

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F . Spray with Pam 12 foil muffin tin liners
In a bowl beat the butter and eggs & vanilla together until smooth, add the Blackstrap Molasses, and dry ingredients, stir until just combined. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups.

Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 15 minutes. Cool on wire racks when done.

Wonderful, really tastes like pecan pie!!! A definite keeper.


kc, thanks for sharing your way and the results. :)

Determinedtolose 12-09-2007 02:44 PM

I have only found the regularu unsulfered molasses, it doen't say blackstrap.

One is in a green label the other in a yellow label.

Which one?

CarolynF 12-09-2007 05:12 PM

It doesn't really matter which molasses you use, Diana..It's only to get the "brown sugary" flavor..

CarolynF 01-18-2013 02:06 PM

bumping for January...

pocahontas 01-18-2013 04:18 PM

Yum! I must have missed these back in 2007. :laugh:

rosethorns 01-18-2013 04:37 PM

I did too! I think I'll use Jen's GF bake mix. Yum.

Gina just made one that looks like this one using Ouizoid flour mix. Yum looking!!!

CarolynF 01-18-2013 04:53 PM

I making the almond flour/protein powder with a touch of pecan flour recipe for tomorrow's brunch at church..


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:52 AM.