Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Egg Foo Yung (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/504938-egg-foo-yung.html)

RVlady 07-14-2007 09:57 PM

Egg Foo Yung

Lately I'm hooked on my version of egg foo yung. Have been going through dozens of eggs.
I dice a quarter of an onion and start cooking it in my large cast iron fry pan in a little butter. I then add 1/2 pkg broc slaw and 1 lb package coleslaw, some mushrooms and some leftover diced pork/and/or chicken. I cook this until all is wilted, about 5-10 min. This is enough filling for 6 patties.
I scramble two xlarge eggs with s&p and a little lite soy sauce.
I use a medium cast iron pan and let 1 Tbsp butter start to brown over high heat, pour in 2/3 the egg mixture, then lower the heat, put a handful of pork/vegetable mixture on top of the eggs, pour on the last 1/3 of the egg mixture, cover it and let it cook until set. Then flip over and cook uncovered on the other side until brown. I tried this with bean sprouts also and prefer the coleslaw/broc slaw mixture instead.
I do not use any gravy with this and eat it for breakfast, lunch or dinner,.

Connie

walkingwoman 07-14-2007 10:28 PM

Yummy :love: Thanks. I've been using the canned La choy veggies for this but I love your idea.:love:

Charski 07-15-2007 09:35 AM

Mmmm, great idea to use the broc slaw/cabbage in place of the bean sprouts!

Egg foo yung is the ONLY thing I'll eat bean sprouts in, so I don't often have them in the house - but I DO often have the cabbage and/or broc slaw! Will try it next time!

LovesDivine 07-15-2007 07:08 PM

Gonna try this for sure!!! Funny, I was just thinking about how much I missed egg foo young. I used to eat it once a week for lunch. It's been about 9 months since I had it. Next time I am at the grocery store, getting me some cole slaw mix!!!

Kevinpa 07-16-2007 05:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This sounded so good that I made myself an Egg Foo Yung Omlet for breakfast this morning.......Yum!!

walkingwoman 07-16-2007 02:09 PM

Kevin, that looks so delicious. Did you use canned veggies or did you make your own assortment? I wonder if you could make this recipe into muffins? What do you think?

Kevinpa 07-16-2007 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by walkingwoman (Post 8922442)
Kevin, that looks so delicious. Did you use canned veggies or did you make your own assortment? I wonder if you could make this recipe into muffins? What do you think?

I just sautéed
1/2 bag of broccoli slaw with a couple of green onions and a few mushrooms in bacon fat. Then added the eggs, cream and seasoning..
sure...muffins would work.

oh I forgot....and cheddar cheese in the middle

walkingwoman 07-16-2007 02:57 PM

Thanks. That sounds wonderful :shake:

LovesDivine 07-16-2007 06:48 PM

Kevin that looks wonderful!!

LovesDivine 07-17-2007 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RVlady (Post 8915249)
Lately I'm hooked on my version of egg foo yung. Have been going through dozens of eggs.
I dice a quarter of an onion and start cooking it in my large cast iron fry pan in a little butter. I then add 1/2 pkg broc slaw and 1 lb package coleslaw, some mushrooms and some leftover diced pork/and/or chicken. I cook this until all is wilted, about 5-10 min. This is enough filling for 6 patties.
I scramble two xlarge eggs with s&p and a little lite soy sauce.
I use a medium cast iron pan and let 1 Tbsp butter start to brown over high heat, pour in 2/3 the egg mixture, then lower the heat, put a handful of pork/vegetable mixture on top of the eggs, pour on the last 1/3 of the egg mixture, cover it and let it cook until set. Then flip over and cook uncovered on the other side until brown. I tried this with bean sprouts also and prefer the coleslaw/broc slaw mixture instead.
I do not use any gravy with this and eat it for breakfast, lunch or dinner,.

Connie

I made this tonight with some minor tweaks and it is yummy! Gonna be breakfast AND lunch tomorrow!!

sails92 07-20-2007 06:53 PM

This sounded DELICIOUS that I made it last night for dinner....thank you for sharing this recipe - it was GREAT!!!!!

CarolynF 07-21-2007 08:27 PM

This sounds great..I was wondering what I would do with that coleslaw mix..yummmy..:)

MemoryKeeper 11-10-2011 12:38 PM

I'm confused. Do you only use 2 eggs for the whole recipe, or 2 eggs for each "Patty."?

Thanks! Looks delicious!

RVlady 11-10-2011 03:09 PM

I use 2 jumbo eggs per patty. I stir them up, not not as thoroughly as when I am making scrambled egg and add a dollop of lite soy sauce to the eggs, then pour in about 2/3 of the egg/soy mixture on top of the browned butter and then spread some of the veggie mixture on top of the eggs. Last, I dribble the rest of the egg mixture on top of the veggies, let brown on the bottom, then flip over and brown the other side.
I like diced leftover pork the best in these patties.

Connie

soon 11-10-2011 03:37 PM

I just bought some broccoli slaw and was wandering what to do with it. I used to buy egg foo young in the can but havent seen it in years was thinking I needed to make some never thought of using the slaw.. Wander what I can use for gravy. Thanks for sjqring your creativity with us.

RVlady 11-10-2011 05:17 PM

For gravy, you might like to try some chicken broth thickened w one of the lc thickeners such as guar gum, zanthum gum, etc. To the chicken broth, add a little soy sauce, perhaps a dribble of Kitchen Bouquet browning sauce. The veggie mixture cooks up very quickly. As soon as the broc slaw and coleslaw are softened, I turn it off. This mixture will keep for 4-5 days in a covered glass bowl in the refrigerator. Then it is so easy to pull the bowl out and mix up some eggs.
A good taste for very little work.

Connie

Connie

soon 11-10-2011 07:19 PM

the gravy idea is an excellent one ty for the suggestion

dmburk 01-23-2012 10:06 AM

This looks awesome. Gotta try it soon.

Barbo 01-23-2012 03:35 PM

Here's a Pork Fu Yung that we really love!

Pork Fu Yung
Gravy:
1 c. chicken broth
1 tbs. cornstarch (I use Xanthan Gum)
Tamari Sauce
Sriracha Sauce (Vietnamese hot sauce)
White Pepper
1 tsp. sesame oil
My comments are that I made up this sauce to
taste. Just make it and heat it up in a small pan.
If it's too thick add more chicken broth. Taste and
make it your own. You can't lose.

1/2 lb. boneless pork tenderloin Minced in the food processor
2 tsp peanut oil, 1 tsp.sesame oil
5 green onions thinly sliced (2 tbs. for topping)
1 c. thinly sliced mushrooms or more
2 c. fresh bean sprouts
¼ tsp. salt, ¼ tsp. white pepper
2 eggs, plus 2 egg whites

Mix eggs and whites, pepper, salt,oil, set aside.
Fry pork in 1 tsp. oil for about 4 min., set aside.
Add tsp. oil and 1 tsp. sesame oil, fry mushrooms
onions, sprouts about 4-5 min.Add pork, flatten with
spatula, add eggs. Cover & cook until eggs are set
3 min. Cut into wedges, top with gravy and sprinkle
with green onions.

ENJOY!

theislandgirl 04-05-2013 11:42 AM

Still delicious - pretty much any mix of small cut cooked veg and meat, any size from muffins to omelettes, tasty hot or cold.

I do like to grate in some fresh ginger (or add 2 tsp of ginger purée) and also at least a tsp of 100% toasted sesame oil to the egg mix.

I use the frittata method (mixture into a preheated oven-proof sauté pan with a good dose of spanish olive oil at the shimmer), when it starts to solidify around the sides, into a preheated 400F oven for about 8 minutes or til dry on top), then quarter and serve with extra tamari sauce and toasted sesame seeds on the side.

SO yum and convenient. :lol: