Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2007, 01:59 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: scb1988
Stats: 298/260/142
WOE: lo carbs/Atkins
Start Date: 12/31/06 restart 4/11/08
coconut flour recipes

i just bought coconut flour and need recipes. Any one have any good ones they would like to share?????
scb1988 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2007, 05:20 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Candid
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: August 2002
I've made a simple breakfast muffin with it...
1/2 scoop whey protein
1/4 c. coconut flour
1 egg
1/2 T. soften butter
Da Vinci's vanilla syrup

Mix it all together and cook in a microwave save bowl for 1 minute...I liked it.
Candid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 10:48 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

that sounds good thank you
Old 07-11-2007, 02:29 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brittanilh
Stats: 220/218/140/5'2"
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Start 7/30/2012
Wow, is that all for coconut flour? Is there a website or something that we can go to for recipes? I have a huge bag of this in my cabinet waiting for some yummy recipes to whip up with it....
brittanilh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 05:24 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

LoL I wa hoping for more
Old 07-11-2007, 05:48 PM   #6
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Just my persnal opinion but you might not want any more recipes after you try the first one. I made banana muffins and even my DH wouldn't eat them and he has never been known to turn down food. Tried another recipe and it was just as bad. The coconut flour now resides in my freezer. Through wasting ingredients.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 06:09 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tater Head
Stats: start weight 212/200 /goal 150
WOE: Lowcarb
bump
Tater Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 08:03 PM   #8
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Bfranke
Stats: 177.5/139.5/117.5
WOE: Modified Atkins/Exercise
Start Date: 12/26/05
I have used small amounts, like 1/8 c, in recipes. It does not act like a flour, in my opinion. I used it in my Chia Bars, and it is great in that.
I think we all thought this would be a real replacement for flour...NOT.
Bette
Bfranke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 08:13 PM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
I bought 4 lbs of coconut flour about a year ago and have given it way more than the old college try. I for one won't waste anymore of my time on it.
It may be healthy for you but what good is that if you don't want to eat the results.
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 11:00 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
The only results I've liked from using coconut flour is by mixing it up with other stuff like parmesan, carbquick, almond flour, etc. and using it as a coating for chicken. It works okay that way or like Bette said, use very little in a recipe along with other flour substitutes.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 11:30 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kisal
WOE: Basic low carb
Start Date: October 15, 2004
I have a recipe that someone here posted awhile ago for a Chocolate Coconut Flour Cake. I have no idea whether or not the cake would be edible after you went to all the trouble of making it, though. I noticed that I put a note at the bottom of the recipe indicating that you have to use 3 eggs for every 1/4 cup of coconut flour.

I'll post the recipe if you like, but as I've never made the cake, I can't say that it's a favorite of mine. Perhaps some others have tried the cake and can comment on it.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:24 AM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: erlybird
WOE: General Low Carb
Start Date: March 2007
Chocolate Cake

½ cup butter or coconut oil

¼ cup cocoa powder

¼ cup coconut milk

9 eggs

1 ½ cups sugar

¾ teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon vanilla

¾ cup sifted coconut flour

¾ teaspoon baking powder

Frosting

Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add cocoa powder and coconut milk and mix together. Remove from heat and set aside. In a bowl, mix together eggs, sugar, salt, and vanilla. Stir in cocoa mixture. Combine coconut flour with baking powder and whisk into batter until there are no lumps. Pour batter into greased 8x8x2 or 9x9x2-inch pan. Bake at 350 degrees F (175C) for 35 minutes or until knife inserted into center comes out clean. Cool and cover with frosting of your choice.

I've never tried this and no promises but I found this on a web search.
http://www.simplycoconut.com/coconut_flour_recipes.htm
erlybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 04:27 AM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Coconut Balls
Ingredients:

Sweetener: approximately 3/4 cup (may use any sweetener of your choice
Eggs: 2
Coconut Flour: approximately 2 cups
Orange peel from 1 orange
Whisk the eggs until they are stiff together with the sugar. Add the grated orange peel. When the mixture is frothy, add the coconut flour. Add enough coconut flour until it is crumbly but still soft and moist. Let it rest for 5 minutes.

Grease an oven pan and form small balls with your hands from the mixture. The mixture should be just perfect for making into balls. Arrange them on the pan. Put them into the oven when it is hot and bake for 15 minutes at a medium temperature.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:28 AM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Tips for Using Coconut Flour

Ingredients:
Using Organic Coconut Flour

· You can replace up to 20% of the flour called for in a recipe with Coconut Flour, adding an equivalent amount of additional liquid to the recipe. Because of its high fiber content, Coconut Flour requires much more liquid than other flours. You need to use an equal amount of liquids to the amount of Coconut Flour used.

· If batter seems too thick, thin out by adding a bit more oil until desired consistency is achieved. If batter seems too runny, don’t worry. Coconut Flour’s high fiber content makes it highly absorbent and during baking the flour will absorb the extra liquid.

· To maintain freshness, store Coconut Flour in an airtight container after opening.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:31 AM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Coconut Cream-Cheese Squares

Ingredients:
1 box (8 oz.) cream cheese (soften)
1 stick butter
1 cup coconut flour
1/2 cup splenda
4 large eggs
2 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 Tbsp. Virgin Coconut Oil

Procedure:

Pre- heat oven at 350 degree F. Brush pan with coconut oil.

1. Beat butter and cream cheese in a mixing bowl with an electric mixer. Mix until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time. Beat well. Add sugar gradually, continue mixing. Add coconut flour and vanilla; beat until well blended.

2. Pour batter into a 11 X 7 inches rectangular pan (pre-greased, see above.)

3. Bake at 350 degree for 30 minutes.

4. Cool the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes.

5. Slice into squares.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:32 AM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Coconut Smoothie

10-12 ice cubes
1 cup of water
1-2 tablespoons protein powder
1 tablespoon Virgin coconut oil
1 tablespoon flax seeds ground
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3-4 tablespoons coconut flour (more if you want it thicker)
Place all ingredients in a blender and process at high speed until well combined. You may need more or less ice, depending on how cold you like a smoothie.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:35 AM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Coconut Flour Brownies (Gluten Free)

1 8 oz. box cream cheese softened

½ cup butter (1 stick) softened

1 cup coconut flour

¾ cup splenda

4 eggs

2 tsp vanilla

1/3 cup heavy cream

1/3 cup cocoa powder

½ cup walnuts chopped

Coconut oil

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brush both sides and bottom of 11x7 pan with coconut oil.

Whip butter, sugar, and cream cheese with electric mixer on high speed until light and fluffy, scrape bowl after each addition. Add coco powder, and heavy cream; beat well. Add eggs one at a time and whip until the mixture looks like a smooth, creamy, fluffy chocolate pudding Add flour and vanilla to the chocolate mixture and whip on medium speed and then turn up to high speed and beat until mixture becomes stiff and color becomes a little paler.

Pour chocolate mixture into prepared pan and sprinkle chopped nuts on top and pat nuts gently into batter. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. When done, place pan on wire rack and cool completely. Enjoy!!

TIPS: These brownies taste best a day later so if you’re making them for company dessert, bake them the day before and when cool, cover the top of the pan with aluminum foil and refrigerate.

If you want to get a little fancy, melt 2oz of bittersweet chocolate and cool. Meanwhile, get a little zip lock bag and pour the cooled chocolate inside and snip a little hole in one corner and give the bag a little squeeze while drizzling over the brownies. Have fun!!

VARATIONS: Coconut Flour Coco Banana Brownies: Make brownies as recipe follows but add 3 large mashed bananas to chocolate mixture and mix together before baking.

Chocolate Muffins: Make as directed but place batter in muffin cups and bake for about 20-25 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:39 AM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Blueberry muffins

1/4 cup coconut flour
2 tablespoons coconut flour (additional)
3 eggs
2 tablespoons canola oil or melted butter
2 tablespoons coconut milk
3 tablespoons honey
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup frozen blueberries

Whisk eggs, butter, coconut milk, honey, salt and vanilla until thoroughly blended.
Sift all coconut flour (1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons). Stir sifted coconut flour and baking powder into the batter and stir until there are no lumps.
Fold in frozen blueberries, stirring gently. Pour batter into greased muffin tin.
Bake at 400 F for 15-18 minutes

Last edited by erlybird; 07-12-2007 at 04:54 AM..
Old 07-12-2007, 04:46 AM   #19
Junior LCF Member

Pumpkin Muffins

2 1/2 cups of LC bake mix (of your choice)
3/4 cup coconut flour
2 cups pumpkin puree, or one 15 ounce can (unseasoned)
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 cup splenda
1/2 cup sf maple syrup
1/2 cup water or coconut milk
2 tablespoons pumpkin pie spice mix
4 eggs

Preheat oven to 350 F. Mix all dry ingredients in a large bowl. Whisk wet ingredients together in a separate bowl, then fold into dry mixture. Whisk all ingredients until combined and smooth.

Place muffin liners into two 12-muffin pans, and spray the insides of the papers with baking spray. Distribute batter evenly between muffin liners (approximately 1/4 cup each). Bake for 20-25 minutes.

Makes 24 muffins.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:00 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rexsreine
WOE: low carb
Erlybird, have you made all the recipes you posted? Any comments on any of them? Thanks!

Ginny
rexsreine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 02:03 PM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Quote:
Originally Posted by erlybird View Post
Coconut Flour Brownies (Gluten Free)

1 8 oz. box cream cheese softened

½ cup butter (1 stick) softened

1 cup coconut flour

¾ cup splenda

4 eggs

2 tsp vanilla

1/3 cup heavy cream

1/3 cup cocoa powder

½ cup walnuts chopped

Coconut oil

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brush both sides and bottom of 11x7 pan with coconut oil.

Whip butter, sugar, and cream cheese with electric mixer on high speed until light and fluffy, scrape bowl after each addition. Add coco powder, and heavy cream; beat well. Add eggs one at a time and whip until the mixture looks like a smooth, creamy, fluffy chocolate pudding Add flour and vanilla to the chocolate mixture and whip on medium speed and then turn up to high speed and beat until mixture becomes stiff and color becomes a little paler.

Pour chocolate mixture into prepared pan and sprinkle chopped nuts on top and pat nuts gently into batter. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. When done, place pan on wire rack and cool completely. Enjoy!!

TIPS: These brownies taste best a day later so if you’re making them for company dessert, bake them the day before and when cool, cover the top of the pan with aluminum foil and refrigerate.

If you want to get a little fancy, melt 2oz of bittersweet chocolate and cool. Meanwhile, get a little zip lock bag and pour the cooled chocolate inside and snip a little hole in one corner and give the bag a little squeeze while drizzling over the brownies. Have fun!!

VARATIONS: Coconut Flour Coco Banana Brownies: Make brownies as recipe follows but add 3 large mashed bananas to chocolate mixture and mix together before baking.

Chocolate Muffins: Make as directed but place batter in muffin cups and bake for about 20-25 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
This one I might try and divide it into 1/4 recipe so it won't waste so many ingredients. But where does the coconut oil fit in?

erlybird ~ Have you tried any of these recipes?

The main reason I ask is cause I've tried lots of recipes using coconut flour, even from the Bruce FIfe cookbook, which I consider a waste of money now, and none of them were edible and I followed the recipes exactly.

Last edited by Nigel; 07-12-2007 at 02:05 PM..
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 02:41 PM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
Start Date: September 2000
Erlybird, thank you for the tips on baking with coconut flour. The hints you give might also help with oat fiber and other fibrous ingredients.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 02:27 AM   #23
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexsreine View Post
Erlybird, have you made all the recipes you posted? Any comments on any of them? Thanks!

Ginny
I posted the ones that looked the most workable to me, and tweakable. I have used homemade coconut flour off and on for a while and I like the taste of coconut and I like the added fiber for my diet. The chocolate cake I stated when I posted it I had not tried it, so no promises. I plan to cut the recipes down small and try them out. I have personally found a mixture of lc flours to be the best solution. So anyone that wants to jump in and try them out and help the original poster with their request for help is welcome. Let's see if we can make these work. So they won't have wasted coconut flour in their pantry.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:37 AM   #24
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
This one I might try and divide it into 1/4 recipe so it won't waste so many ingredients. But where does the coconut oil fit in?

erlybird ~ Have you tried any of these recipes?

The main reason I ask is cause I've tried lots of recipes using coconut flour, even from the Bruce FIfe cookbook, which I consider a waste of money now, and none of them were edible and I followed the recipes exactly.
It looks to me like the coconut oil is just used to grease to pan. Coconut oil is supposed to be good for people with thyroid problems. I believe CarolynF has posted recipes coconut oil and coconut, maybe you could ask her for more info. I thought 1/4 of a recipe be would be a safe expieriment too. I have made egg custard with coconut added and it was good. It looks to me from researching on the net the main point of the coconut flour recipes are that they are gluten free. So it's kinda one of those individual taste things. I read some posts from other sites when I was searching, and they had good reviews on the blueberry muffins especially it seemed. Do a search and see what you come up with.
Old 07-13-2007, 04:37 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: babydollsea
WOE: Moderate carbs
Thanks so much for posting these...I will try these recipes as well...
babydollsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 07:05 AM   #26
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
There is a book out on cooking with coconut flour. I do not have it but might get it in the future. I still have a 2 lb bag of coconut flour that I ordered years ago and have just this week finished the first 2 lb bag. (It was a buy one get one free deal). You may have to do a search to find the thread about the book by Bruce Fife I believe. I posted the chocolate cake with the coconut flour. It was edible--but 9 eggs!!! You have to store it in the fridge and I didn't with the first one and had to throw it away. I have made it twice and with the second one I didn't make an icing--maybe with the next one I will. After comments on this board, I mainly use my coconut flour for adding into my yogurt for my lunch. I will add a TBL to my 8 oz of plain yogurt to thicken it up. I am enjoying it that way, but don't use it for baking. I have to experiment with the recipes above....
Old 07-14-2007, 08:53 AM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Candid
Start Date: August 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by erlybird View Post
Coconut Cream-Cheese Squares

Ingredients:
1 box (8 oz.) cream cheese (soften)
1 stick butter
1 cup coconut flour
1/2 cup splenda
4 large eggs
2 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 Tbsp. Virgin Coconut Oil

Procedure:

Pre- heat oven at 350 degree F. Brush pan with coconut oil.

1. Beat butter and cream cheese in a mixing bowl with an electric mixer. Mix until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time. Beat well. Add sugar gradually, continue mixing. Add coconut flour and vanilla; beat until well blended.

2. Pour batter into a 11 X 7 inches rectangular pan (pre-greased, see above.)

3. Bake at 350 degree for 30 minutes.

4. Cool the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes.

5. Slice into squares.

I cut this recipe in half. I cut the powdered splenda in half and added DaVinci Vanilla syrup(1/8 cup). I also put a small pan of water in the oven when I baked it. (It reminded me of a coconut custard I came up with a few years back.) Since I read in one of the other posts here that coconut flour is a thirsty one, I figured the extra liquid from the DaVinci's wouldn't be a problem. Worked ok for me.
Candid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 09:57 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brittanilh
Stats: 220/218/140/5'2"
Start Date: Start 7/30/2012
Hmm, looks like I'll just have to make a few things to see how I like it. Sounds like it's hit or miss with this coconut flour thing. Thanks for the suggestions! The recipes look great!
brittanilh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 10:07 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Trying the cocnut squares....just out of the oven and need to cool. smells and looks great. Kinda like a coconut shortbread
Old 07-15-2007, 10:37 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: clyde
Stats: 167/118/110 Height 5'6"
Start Date: Restart 12/07/06
Quote:
Originally Posted by scb1988 View Post
Trying the cocnut squares....just out of the oven and need to cool. smells and looks great. Kinda like a coconut shortbread
Please give us your final comments!!! I've got like 6 lbs of the stuff!!!

I would love to find a recipe I'm really crazy about
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote