Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2007, 09:17 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cubbie
1980's Diet Center Chicken/Wasa Recipe??

Hi!! I am coming here for help. Back in the 1980's I went to Diet Center and back then they were very much into lower carbs. They had a chicken casserole recipe that was made with Wasa crackers. I can't find my old cookbook and can't remember enough about it to make it. It was really good and satisfied that "comfort food" thing I have now and again. If anyone out there has this old recipe I would be SOOO grateful if you could share it with me!!! Thanks!!!
Cubbie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2007, 12:51 PM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: KymOnTheBeach
Hi Cubbie! It just so happens that I was an avid Diet Center member, and I have the book that contains quite a few recipes. The recipe that has chicken with the crushed wasas is "Rolled Breaded Chicken Breasts" In case this is the one, here's the recipe:

4- 3 1/2 portions chicken breastb boned,skinned and pounded to 1/2 inch thickness.
4 Wasa crackers, crushed
4 Tbsp. Unprocessed Bran
Seasonings to taste; poultry seasoning,pepper, (unavailable DC seasonings)
1 Egg, beaten with 1 tsp. water.

Mix wasa with seasonings. Dip chicken breasts in egg mixture. Roll in crumbs and place on a baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray. Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 20-minutes. Reduce heat to 350 and cook for an additional 10 minutes. Test chiken with a fork.

I hope that's the right recipe! If you want anymore from the book, I will be glad to help!
KymOnTheBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 02:19 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Hi Kym!! Thanks for posting SO quickly! I am so jealous that you have that book--I know that somewhere buried deep in my basement is my copy!
I'm not sure that that is the recipe I'm remembering--it seems like maybe there was zucchini or something else in it that made the casserole kind of "mushy". I'm pretty sure I made it on the stovetop. Sorry my explanation is so vague--I only made it a couple of times. My local Diet Center had a lady who made up recipes from the book to order and you could purchase them for the convenience---it was GREAT!
There was also a recipe she made that had like meatballs made of ground chicken and kind of an orange sauce. Does that ring a bell?
I REALLY appreciate your help--this board is such a great place for help and support. Have a great evening! PS I am copying this recipe to use because it sounds great and easy to make--my two favorite things.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:30 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Glad to help Cubbie! Darn! I thought for sure that was the recipe you had in mind! Glad you like it! I don't recall the zucchini recipe or the chicken meatballs with orange sauce(YUM!), they may have been your Diet Center's counselor's own recipes. The Diet Center I went to sold ready made bran muffins. For some reason, their muffins always tasted way better than mine! They made chocolate muffins! Sometimes, like right now, I crave one of those muffins! MMMMMMMMMMMM
Old 07-11-2007, 12:09 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Glad to help Cubbie! I really thought that was the recipe you were describing!
I don't recall the zucchini recipe or the chicken meatballs with orange sauce(YUM!), they may have been recipes of your Diet Center Counselor! The Diet Center I went to, sold ready made chocolate bran muffins! They always tasted better than the ones I made. Sometimes, like right now, I crave one of those muffins!
Old 07-11-2007, 02:22 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Kym--Looks like I am just going to have to "bite the bullet" and clean out that darn basement! It should be a double bonus--find the book and burn LOTS of calories Thanks for your help--if I find the book, I'll post the recipes so that you can try them.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:05 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: replay
Stats: 309/299/200
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 4/7/2011
Please post your recipe if you find it. Also, it seems like the GG bran crackers would make a good sub for the Wasa, or maybe 50/50.
replay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 11:02 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Haven't been able to find my cookbook -- bumping this up to see if anyone else has any help.
I DID try Kym's chicken recipe -- YUM! Thanks Kym!

Anybody else have any "old" Diet Center recipes????
Old 07-23-2007, 11:20 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DixieMoon
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 2/2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubbie View Post
Haven't been able to find my cookbook -- bumping this up to see if anyone else has any help.
I DID try Kym's chicken recipe -- YUM! Thanks Kym!

Anybody else have any "old" Diet Center recipes????
Hey Cubbie - Sybil Ferguson's book is on ebay for about 5 bucks!
DixieMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 04:32 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the tip Dixie Moon. Never bought anything on Ebay before, but there is always a first time, and this could be it yes?
Old 08-06-2007, 05:24 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubbie View Post
Hi!! I am coming here for help. Back in the 1980's I went to Diet Center and back then they were very much into lower carbs. They had a chicken casserole recipe that was made with Wasa crackers. I can't find my old cookbook and can't remember enough about it to make it. It was really good and satisfied that "comfort food" thing I have now and again. If anyone out there has this old recipe I would be SOOO grateful if you could share it with me!!! Thanks!!!
Was the recipe called Chicken Florentine? It has spinach in it.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:32 AM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Halljanex
Hi Kim on the Beach,

I have been trying to find the soft cover recipe book they gave out in the 1980's. It had several ways to season stir fries listed by country, i.e. asian, german, lebonese, etc. listed on one page. The beginning of the book was about how to make stock. Do you have this book? I'm aching for one of the stir fry recipes. I think I threw my book away! It is not the hardcover Sybil Fergason book.
Halljanex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:48 AM   #13
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halljanex View Post
Hi Kim on the Beach,

I have been trying to find the soft cover recipe book they gave out in the 1980's. It had several ways to season stir fries listed by country, i.e. asian, german, lebonese, etc. listed on one page. The beginning of the book was about how to make stock. Do you have this book? I'm aching for one of the stir fry recipes. I think I threw my book away! It is not the hardcover Sybil Fergason book.
Welcome
Kim hasn't been on the site since 2007, so I don't think you'll get a response from her.
I did a quick google search for "diet center stock recipe" and got a lot of hits. I don't know the recipe, so I don't know which one would be the one you're looking for. I suggest doing the search, worded the way I did, and see if any of them ring a bell
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:30 AM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cupasugar
Stats: 160/154/120
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: August 2011
Orange Glazed Chicken, Modified

Several of the ingredients are no longer available, so have adjusted the recipe.

2 chicken breasts (4 oz each)
1 teaspoon Nice 'n Spicy seasoning
1/2 teaspoon Buttery Flavored Salt
Dash of pepper
2 tablespoons Tofu, blended
3 tablespoons Polynesian Orange Sauce*
1 teaspoon Parsley Patch It's a Dilly**
1 orange sliced

Arrange chicken breasts in an 8 or 9 inch round microwave safe baking dish with thicker portion toward edge of dish. Sprinkle with Nice n Spicy***.

Cover with wax paper. Microwave on high 10-12 minutes or until chicken is tender, rotating dish once. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Let stand 5 minutes. Combine Tofu and sauce, blending well. Microwave on high uncovered, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes or until mixture boils and thickens, stirring once.

Stir in Seasoning. Transfer chicken to serving plate. Spoon glaze onto chicken. Garnish with Parsley and Orange slices.

2 Servings

*was a Diet Center product - will require substitution. Would recommend chicken broth, artificial sweetener, orange extract and thickener such as xanthan gum or guar gum. You could add some SF Teriaki or Soy Sauce, depending on your taste.

**Not made anymore by McCormick, but recipe duplicate is as follows:
IT'S A DILLY, SALT FREE 1.9 oz
INGREDIENTS: ONION, GARLIC, DILL WEED, LEMON PEEL, DILL SEED, AND JALAPENO PEPPER.

Dilly Seasoning Mix:
Dill is the dominant flavor in this delicious and versatile seasoning mix. It can be used as a salad dressing, a vegetable dip, in pasta salads, or sprinkled on chicken or seafood.
1/2 cup dried dill weed (not seeds)
1/2 cup dried minced onion (not powder)
1/3 cup dried parsley
1/4 cup dried basil
1/4 cup dried tarragon
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon dried lemon peel

Combine the ingredients and blend well.

***Nice 'n Spicy - would use Linda Sue's Spicy Seasoning Salt

Is this it?
cupasugar is offline   Reply With Quote