Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Playground's Gooey Butter Cake Challenge (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/503669-playgrounds-gooey-butter-cake-challenge.html)

CarolynF 07-08-2007 02:34 PM

Playground's Gooey Butter Cake Challenge

The PG has been making this highcarb cake and eating it!!:cry:

Let's see if we can come up with a LC alternative for them:

High carb version:

I copied off the recipe from someone else with all the little ways you can change up the cake. Now don't come running to me when you realize that this cake is pure evil!

Gooey Butter Cake

1 (18.25-ounce) box yellow cake mix
1 egg
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted

Filling

1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
2 eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 (16-ounce) box confectioners' sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 13x9x2-inch baking pan.

In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine cake mix, egg, and butter and mix well. Pat into the bottom of prepared pan and set aside.

Still using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese until smooth; add eggs and vanilla. Dump in confectioners' sugar and beat well. Reduce speed of mixer and slowly pour in butter. Mix well.

Pour filling onto cake mixture and spread evenly. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes. Don't be afraid to make a judgment call on the cooking time, because oven temperatures can vary. You want the center to be a little gooey, so don't bake it past that point!

Remove from oven and allow to cool completely. Cut into squares. Just remember that these wonderful little cakes are very, very rich, and a little will go a long way-even for piggies like me!

Pumpkin Gooey: This variation has to be at the top of my list, especially around Thanksgiving. For the cake part, I sometimes use a spice cake mix. I have even used a chocolate cake mix, but I think my favorite is the basic yellow cake mix. Follow the original recipe, adding a 15-ounce can of pumpkin pie filling and an extra egg to the cream cheese filling. Bake as usual, remove from oven, and allow to cool. Cut into squares and top each square with a pecan half. Serve with a dollop of fresh whipped cream. I promise you'll never want pumpkin pie again!

Pineapple Gooey: Add a 20-ounce can of drained crushed pineapple and an extra egg to the cream cheese filling. Proceed as directed above.

Lemon Gooey: Use a lemon cake mix in place of the yellow cake. Add the juice (approximately 1/4 cup) and zest of 2 lemons to the cream cheese filling. Proceed: as directed above.

Carrot Cake Gooey: Use a spice cake mix, and add 1 cup chopped nuts and 1 1/2 cup finely grated carrots to the cream cheese filling. Proceed as directed above.

Yummy's_Girl 07-08-2007 02:37 PM

This sounds yummy! I was thinking Kevinpa's yellow cake would be good for the box of cake mix, but I'm not sure what to use in place of the box of confectioners sugar.

lisabinil 07-08-2007 03:28 PM

The confectioners sugar definitely makes the filling layer. If I measure out the confectioners sugar instead of using the box it doesn't come out right. My kids love the Pumpkin and PB Gooey Butter cakes and ask for them for their birthdays.

Kevinpa 07-08-2007 03:53 PM

This is the cake I would use and use and a lesser amount of powdered erythritol plus splenda of some kind. I"d have to play with amounts to see how it would turn out.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/sh...69&postcount=3

rexsreine 07-08-2007 04:01 PM

Hey, Kevin...

...Gooey Butter Cake is a scary challenge...but I bet you're up to it!:)

Kevinpa 07-08-2007 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rexsreine (Post 8881507)
...Gooey Butter Cake is a scary challenge...but I bet you're up to it!:)

I have wedding stuff to do tomorrow but I will take a stab at it this week sometime.

rexsreine 07-08-2007 04:07 PM

:up:

CarolynF 07-08-2007 04:12 PM

Father of the Bride..what a guy!!!! Can't wait for the results..

Lisa: The "filling" really seems like cream cheese butter frosting with eggs to hold it together. So, I think that is the tricky part..

Yummy's_Girl 07-08-2007 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevinpa (Post 8881522)
I have wedding stuff to do tomorrow but I will take a stab at it this week sometime.

We are looking forward to it!

5cats4me 07-08-2007 05:13 PM

For those of you tempted to make the original...DON'T!!!!! It's sinful and very addictive! Just walk away...

chefchick66 07-08-2007 05:14 PM

Popping in to mark my spot...I'm a Gooey Butter Cake Baking and Eating Playgrounder...:birthday:

Can't wait to see what Kevin comes up with...although if it has any sugar alcohols in it, I won't try it...they make my tummy VERY upset...:cry:

BTW, the Coconut version is FABULOUS! :love:

Miz Grits 07-08-2007 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chefchick66 (Post 8881824)
Popping in to mark my spot...I'm a Gooey Butter Cake Baking and Eating Playgrounder...:birthday:

Can't wait to see what Kevin comes up with...although if it has any sugar alcohols in it, I won't try it...they make my tummy VERY upset...:cry:

BTW, the Coconut version is FABULOUS! :love:

Trollop. Chasing Gooey Butter Cake all over the boards.:D

Kevinpa 07-08-2007 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chefchick66 (Post 8881824)
although if it has any sugar alcohols in it, I won't try it...they make my tummy VERY upset

Sorry to disappoint you but it won't work without at least the powdered erythritol.:dunno:

Tweaker Geek 07-08-2007 05:30 PM

That sounds like a delicious cake Carolyn. I'm sure Kevin will come up with a reasonable substitute. Powdered E in place of the confectioners is a definite need. How much confectioners sugar is in a box? - a pound? That's a lot of carbs!:eek:

The pumpkin version sounds wonderful!:up:

chefchick66 07-08-2007 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miz Grits (Post 8881864)
Trollop. Chasing Gooey Butter Cake all over the boards.:D

:blush: I tell ya...I can sniff out a GBC thread in my sleep...:laugh:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevinpa (Post 8881896)
Sorry to disappoint you but it won't work without at least the powdered erythritol.:dunno:

:( A PG poster tried the recipe with using a Sweet and Low Cake mix and I believe bulk Splenda in place of the Confectioners Sugar...I have not tried this tweak but she said it was very good.

kip 07-08-2007 05:34 PM

I'm from the PG and I haven't made or ate it. *angelic*

:D

chefchick66 07-08-2007 05:36 PM

Kevin, this is how Lauran made her cake...she cut down the recipe to accomodate an 8 by 8 pan instead of the 9 by 13 as the Sweet and Low mix called for the smaller sized pan:

Here is the way I made the SF version. It was very good.

Mix a dry Sweet+Low cake mix w/ 1/2 stick melted butter and 1/2 beaten egg. Pat into a sprayed 8x8 pan.

Filling: Mix til smooth, 4 oz cream cheese, 1 egg plus what's left from the first egg, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, 1 c. Splenda and 1/2 stick melted butter. Pour onto cake mixture and spread evenly. 350F about 25 min.

Miz Grits 07-08-2007 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kip (Post 8881930)

*loads shotgun*

If I grab some sugar alcohols, I may have something else to point at you.:D

chefchick66 07-08-2007 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kip (Post 8881930)

Showoff! :rolleyes:

Kevinpa 07-08-2007 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tweaker Geek (Post 8881917)
How much confectioners sugar is in a box? - a pound? That's a lot of carbs

There is 2 1/2 cups of powdered sugar in a 16 oz(1lb) box.

kip 07-08-2007 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chefchick66 (Post 8881938)
Showoff! :rolleyes:

Don't be hatin'. :p

CarolynF 07-08-2007 05:42 PM

Now..PG gals..What IS this cake like?? Is it like a cakey crust with a cheesecakey top? What should we be looking for?

Kevinpa 07-08-2007 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chefchick66 (Post 8881936)
Kevin, this is how Lauran made her cake...she cut down the recipe to accomodate an 8 by 8 pan instead of the 9 by 13 as the Sweet and Low mix called for the smaller sized pan:

Here is the way I made the SF version. It was very good.

Mix a dry Sweet+Low cake mix w/ 1/2 stick melted butter and 1/2 beaten egg. Pat into a sprayed 8x8 pan.

Filling: Mix til smooth, 4 oz cream cheese, 1 egg plus what's left from the first egg, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, 1 c. Splenda and 1/2 stick melted butter. Pour onto cake mixture and spread evenly. 350F about 25 min.

Lisa, I am sorry but I don't use sweet and low and I never use granular bulk splenda in any recipe I make. I don't think you will be trying my version from what you have said so far.:dunno: sorry.

chefchick66 07-08-2007 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kip (Post 8881968)
Don't be hatin'. :p

You make the rest of us look bad...:shake:

chefchick66 07-08-2007 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevinpa (Post 8881976)
Lisa, I am sorry but I don't use sweet and low and I never use granular bulk splenda in any recipe I make. I don't think you will be trying my version from what you have said so far.:dunno: sorry.

I still look forward to your experiment...from what I've seen of your recipes, if anybody can tweak a carb laden recipe and make it LC, it is you! :up:

Good luck! :high5:

kip 07-08-2007 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chefchick66 (Post 8881977)
You make the rest of us look bad...:shake:

Would it help if I said I had chicken fried steak, hash browns w/gravy and toast with strawberry jam last week? :birthday:

CarolynF 07-08-2007 05:50 PM

Kevin is our Master Chef..It will be wonderful..

Most of us lowcarb bakers don't use real flour..cuz of the carb count, so it takes
lots of work and creativity to duplicate high carb cakes..but, our Captain Kevin can do it..:)

chefchick66 07-08-2007 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kip (Post 8881993)
Would it help if I said I had chicken fried steak, hash browns w/gravy and toast with strawberry jam last week? :birthday:

Yes...I do feel better...:hugs:

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarolynF (Post 8882015)
Kevin is our Master Chef..It will be wonderful..

Most of us lowcarb bakers don't use real flour..cuz of the carb count, so it takes
lots of work and creativity to duplicate high carb cakes..but, our Captain Kevin can do it..:)

:up: I'll be cheering him on from the sidelines!

lisabinil 07-08-2007 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarolynF (Post 8881550)
Father of the Bride..what a guy!!!! Can't wait for the results..

Lisa: The "filling" really seems like cream cheese butter frosting with eggs to hold it together. So, I think that is the tricky part..

No it's not like frosting-it's more like a cheesecake and when I measure out the conf sugar instead of using the box it's runny. I make this all the time-my kids just luv this-it's a Paula Deen recipe.

CarolynF 07-08-2007 08:27 PM

Oh..that Paula with her butter..Maybe she has a picture of it on the food network site..:)