Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2007, 11:54 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ska53
Stats: 201/185/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Re-inducted 4/26/09
Eggplant?

Does anyone use eggplant? I recently tasted eggplant parmesan and thought it was great! Hoped someone has a lo carb version they is good.
ska53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2007, 12:14 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Rose1271
Stats: 238-22W (highest)/191.5-16W/135
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Restart-March 1, 2011
Ever try white eggplant? I think it's better than the traditional purple.

You can slice it in rounds, dip in egg wash, dip in parm cheese, fry until golden brown.
Rose1271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 12:31 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

No, never tried or even seen white eggplant. I think maybe I saw in a thread that you have to soak it in saltwater. Do you do that?
Old 07-06-2007, 01:22 PM   #4
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: crazyredhead
I haven't made the parmigiana yet with the eggplant, but I think a lot of people dip in egg and parmesan cheese and fry (as pokey mentioned). One of my favorite things to do with eggplant is lasagna. I slice the eggplant the long way about a 1/4" thick (with the skin on) and cook on both sides on an indoor grill we have until it gets soft and has some nice drill marks on it. I don't soak the eggplant in saltwater... it hasn't seemed necessary and doesn't taste bitter to me, especially with all the ingredients that go into lasagna. I just brush some olive oil on and season with a little salt and pepper before grilling. I then layer those with ricotta cheese, fresh mozarella and tomato sauce... sometimes I even add layers of crisp pepperoni chips - sounds weird but it goes really well with the eggplant. Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes to an hour.
crazyredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 01:25 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: KellBell1234
yum! That eggplant lasagna sounds great, I am going to try that as soon as it cools down enough to turn on the oven. Thanks for sharing!
KellBell1234 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 01:33 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Crazy for the suggestions. I'll have to try the Lasagna too.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:58 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Crink
We love eggplant.

Grill thin slices with olive oil and salt.
You can eat it this way or add some Parmesan or Mozzarella or Provolone cheese and let that melt on top.

OR:

Add it to a sandwich using:

tomatoes, fire-roasted bell peppers, fire-roasted red onion, & avacado. Be sure to add some cheese and melt it on top!
This is also good with some grilled thinly-sliced chicken breast or turkey.

OR:

Fry up some slices about 3/4 inch thick. Coat with egg and some LC bread crumbs mixed with parmasean.

Place in a casserole and top them with your favorite thick spaghetti sauce full of ground beef.

Top that with Mozzarella slices and some fresh parmasean. Sprkinle grated cheddar cheese on top. Bake or microwave until cheese is melted and everything is hot. This is amazing. You can add some sliced olives too for a slightly different twist.

Be careful with salt when using parmasean. Things can get too salty really quickly.

Enjoy!:
Crink
Old 07-06-2007, 05:27 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Rose1271
Stats: 238-22W (highest)/191.5-16W/135
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Restart-March 1, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ska53 View Post
No, never tried or even seen white eggplant. I think maybe I saw in a thread that you have to soak it in saltwater. Do you do that?
It's smaller than those big purple ones in the grocery store. There are also ones that are shorter and rounder that are purple and white.

I've never soaked eggplant in saltwater, never heard of it. I like the white ones because the skin is not as tough as the dark purple so you don't have to peel them.
Rose1271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 06:51 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Smythe
Stats: restart 2/6/12 174/163/140
WOE: LC
I roast or grill it with salt, pepper, garlic and other seasonings. Olive oil too
Smythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 06:33 AM   #10
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
Here's an idea that I came up with a while back. It's a combination of chicken parmesan and eggplant parmesan. You get the flavor of the eggplant but not as many carbs as you would with all eggplant in the dish.

EGGPLANT AND CHICKEN PARMESAN
Breading mixture:
1 cup almond flour, about 4 ounces
1 cup grated parmesan cheese, 4 ounces
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
Salt, to taste
2-3 eggs

Combine all the dry ingredients in a pie pan. Break 2 of the eggs into another pie pan and beat well with a fork. Start with 2 eggs and add the third one later if needed.

6 1/4-inch slices eggplant *
3 large boneless chicken breasts
1/4 cup oil, or as needed
Salt and pepper, to taste
6 tablespoons spaghetti sauce
4 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded, 1 cup
2 tablespoons parmesan cheese

Cut each chicken breast in half to make 2 servings from each; cover with plastic wrap and flatten. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Dip each chicken breast in egg to coat, then lightly coat them with parmesan-almond mixture. Fry the chicken in hot oil until browned and the meat is almost done, but still slightly pink in the center. The chicken is usually done by the time the breading is golden brown. Place the chicken breasts on a foil-lined and greased rimmed baking sheet; season lightly with salt and pepper. Repeat the breading and frying process with the eggplant slices.

Top each piece of chicken with a slice of the fried eggplant then top each with 1 tablespoon of spaghetti sauce and 1/6 of the mozzarella. Sprinkle each with 1 teaspoon parmesan cheese. Bake at 350║ about 10-15 minutes until chicken is heated through and the cheese is melted and bubbly.

Makes 6 servings

* You'll need to buy a 1 1/4 pound eggplant. This will yield about twelve 1/4-inch slices and you'll use 1 slice per serving. You can fry up the remaining eggplant and serve it along with the chicken, but it hasn't been included in the counts. You may need to make some extra breading mixture to coat the rest of the eggplant.

Per Serving: 438 Calories; 30g Fat; 33g Protein; 9g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 5g Net Carbs
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 08:09 AM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sylvana diane
Another idea: Pizza:
Cut the (2)eggplants 1/4 " thick or less(I peel them). Lay them on flat surface and sprinkle with salt leave for approx 15-20 min(this takes away the bitter taste)
rinse and brush with olive oil and grill (or shallow fry)
arrange your grilled eggplant in a large shallow dish, top with good quality smoked ham, brush with (preferable home made tomato sauce) top with thinly sliced red bell pepper, thinly sliced fresh mushrooms, thinly sliced onion and lots of grated mozzarella. sprinkle a tbspoon of origanum and salt to taste. Bake in hot oven for approx 15 min. Just made it this morning for brunch it was yummy!
sylvana diane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 08:27 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Carleigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by ska53 View Post
I think maybe I saw in a thread that you have to soak it in saltwater. Do you do that?
I do...but I'm not sure if I soak it because I'm supposed to, or just because that's what I've always done!

I read somewhere that it helps with lessening the bitter/acidic taste of the eggplant..but again, completely unconfirmed by me personally!
Carleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 10:56 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rexsreine
WOE: low carb
Ditto all the ideas that have gone before.

Two things: you don't have to fry the eggplant slices if you've breaded them. My mother had figured out how to bake them many, many years ago. It's a lot easier and cleaner. Just add a thin layer of olive oil to a rimmed cookie sheet and arrange the "breaded" eggplant slices on it. Bake at 400 degrees till bottom is brown, then flip over and bake again.

As far as the salting goes, I've done it both ways. Personally, I think if the eggplant is bitter, it's going to be bitter no matter what you do. I cut off a small bit of the eggplant, cook it, and taste it. If it's bitter, I toss it and go buy more eggplant from a different store. Cook's Illustrated will tell you that the salting produces a better, firmer, meatier texture. I find that to be to be true, but I don't always want to take the time to do it. Seems to be more important for grilling unadorned slices than when making a parmigiana-style dish. JMHO

Ginny
rexsreine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 11:05 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tater Head
Stats: start weight 212/200 /goal 150
WOE: Lowcarb
I buy "EGGPLANT PARMESAN" from trader joe's frozen section, no muss no fuss. It taste great but it never has enough cheese so i add more then nuke.

Debbie
Tater Head is offline   Reply With Quote