Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2007, 09:57 AM   #31
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
Yeah, [COLOR="DarkRed"]Carolyn[/COLOR], the gingerbread. . .is the best for me so far! I also tried cookie dough--DaVinci's and it was good but not as good as the gingerbread. . .I think cinnamon would be good as well as some freshly grated nutmeg!

They are dry. . .but just means I can't eat em as fast as other cookies!

[COLOR="darkred"]Jude,[/COLOR] I didn't know spice blend was stronger than gingerbread.

I think this is more induction friendly than the "cookie dough" I used to mix up with cream cheese and nut butter plus protein powder and syrup.

I also gave the dough a coupla sprays of Better than Butter or whatever that stuff is. . .had to add more powder! but I might scale back the butter with that.. .

it's a work in progress! for me!

Janie
magnamater is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2007, 02:08 PM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nolagina
Stats: 236/169/140
WOE: Protein Power
Start Date: December 2006
I tried this... I tweaked a bit..

7g vanilla protein powder (1/2 scoop)
1 t butter, melted
1/4 t vanilla extract
1 splenda packet
drops of vanilla SF syrup
drops of water

I microwaved it for 30 seconds, I didn't get a big cookie, one about 2" in diameter. I topped it with cinnamon. It was a decent cookie substitute. I wouldn't call it "Evil" as Amy described them. DH had one with his LC ice cream. He said it was a nice treat to accompany the ice cream.

Ok, I did one more experiment and this IS THE EVIL COOKIE:

same as above except I added a dash of cinnamon to the protein powder and splenda; reserved a bit of the splenda.
When done, top with cinnamon and the lil' bit of reserved splenda... LC snickerdoodle... HELP ME!
"Crystallize your goals. Make a plan for achieving them and set yourself a deadline. Then, with supreme confidence, determination and disregard for obstacles and other people's criticisms, carry out your plan." Paul Meyer
------------------------------
Gina

Last edited by nolagina; 07-04-2007 at 02:21 PM.. Reason: update
nolagina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 02:22 PM   #33
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
Last night I watched some of Amy's videos then decided to make one of these cookies. I only had chocolate whey protein powder on hand so that's what I used. I kind of like them and think they make a nice little snack. They're pretty filling and I think it would be hard to eat too many because of the dry texture. Plus, you have to make them one at a time, LOL.

Today I played around with the recipe a little more to work out just how much water to add and how long to microwave them. With my microwave (1,200 watts), 15 seconds gives me a slightly moister, chewier cookie but it's not a big as when I cook them for 30 seconds. They really puff up (a lot like the mock cheez-its do) when you nuke them for 25-30 seconds but then they get pretty dry inside. I like them either way.

Here's the link to the recipe on my site: http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/protein_cookie.html

Here's how mine looked after nuking for 15 seconds:

And, here's one cooked for 30 seconds:

LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 03:21 PM   #34

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
I knew you guys would come to the "dry cookie" rescue..LOL..Thanks!!

Maybe a 20 second cookie would do it..LOLO

Last edited by CarolynF; 07-04-2007 at 03:23 PM..
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 06:10 AM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RECkate
Stats: 275/193/150 5'10"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 08/23/2011
Haha...mine tasted nasty... I had strawberry soy protein powder....
RECkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 06:43 AM   #36

Yuck..Rec..Soy tastes nasty to me..eewww..
Old 07-05-2007, 06:45 AM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RECkate
Stats: 275/193/150 5'10"
Start Date: 08/23/2011
I don't mind soy itself....it's pretty bland but it'll do the job. I'll have to get whey protein next time.
RECkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 06:51 AM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yummy's_Girl
Stats: 168/134/130-135
WOE: A way of my own
Start Date: June 2006
Hmm I need to try my hand at experimenting with this
Yummy's_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 06:18 PM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sue421
Stats: 150/125/125
Start Date: Dec. 2003
I had to add a little more protein powder as I used a tad too much Caramel DaVinci with my Designer Chocolate Whey protein and melted butter. I nuked mine for 20 seconds and it puffed up. At first I thought it was not sweet enough, but it grew on me. My husband thought it was awful though. I think I'll make this again. YMMV as they say.

Last edited by Sue421; 07-05-2007 at 06:19 PM..
Sue421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 08:38 PM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theislandgirl
Stats: forever and ever
WOE: Atkins/PP/semi-paleo
Start Date: July 1998
I've been making them with some MCT Oil (natural butter flavour), with the ICBINB stuff, and just with water and/or DaVinci.

I've reached the conclusion that the butter or oil makes only a tad of difference in the moistness and mouthfeel, so I'm leaving it out for calorie reasons.

So far, I'm liking the plain water, pinch of liquid splenda and a titch of ground cinnamon version, though I haven't done the chocolate yet.

It reminds me, too, of the puffy cheese crackers made with a slice of process cheese in the microwave. I'm guessing it's the milk/whey protein forming a matrix as it heats.

I'm using a base of 100% whey protein isolate with Stevia and Vanilla natural flavours, Kaizen brand made somewhere here in Canada, I believe. I'm trying to stay away from soft plastics in the nuker, so I'm using a wide shallow bowl with a spritz of pan spray, and a max of 28 secs as well in my 1000W microwave. Take 'em out and turn 'em over while cooling (always some moisture on the underside of nuked stuff like this). Slightly chewy and not too dry. Oh, and I'm using a full scoop and enough liquid to make it almost syrupy, like a thick sticky batter, and then making two, one after the other. It's easier to control the cooking process and make sure it isn't overcooked, I find, with the extra moisture. As the plate warms, they cook faster...so the second one is more like 26 secs.

Fun stuff! (and a quick breakfast as I'm firing out the door).
Old 07-06-2007, 08:11 AM   #41

Jude: I was thinking of eliminating the fat next time..My son had some Muscle Milk (chocolate peanut butter), but it has quite a bit of fat already in it. When Amy made hers, she used that non-fat butter, so I think we do need some liquid..but probably fat is optional.

So, yours looked like pancake batter???
Old 07-06-2007, 08:36 AM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Itsanewme
Stats: 322/145/143-147
WOE: Weight Watchers/ Lower Carbs WLS 10/02
Start Date: Restarted 3/1/06
I subbed the butter with a teaspoon of chunky peanut butter....it's the bomb! Even the consistancy seemed more cookie-like. But then I'm a *huge* fan of peanut butter.
Itsanewme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 09:15 AM   #43
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
I tried this again yesterday. I was so craving a chocolate chip cookie. I used chocolate davinci's instead of water and I shaved some s/f chocolate into it and cooked it less. It was better and cured my craving.
I think I was just overcooking it before.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 09:42 AM   #44

Its: I just made the cookie with the 1 heaping tsp. of peanut butter..It was a wonderful experience..Thanks..
Old 07-06-2007, 01:57 PM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ellbie
Linda, thanks for the pictures. I watched the video of Amy's but I didn't really get to see the cookie up close.

Peanut butter sounds great in it, but I think it might get me in too much trouble. I did make one last night and used cinnamon and SF Log Cabin syrup and it tasted pretty good and less dry.
Ellbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 02:08 PM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ska53
Stats: 201/185/130
Start Date: Re-inducted 4/26/09
Mmmmmm. . . I found the pot of gold!

I tried this as Carolyn first posted and enjoyed it. But today . . . I made it as a snickerdoodle and I am in heaven.

I added just a little cinnamon to the cookie dough and then rolled it in splenda and cinnamon. Ahhhhhhh it was so good.

Thanks Carolyn
ska53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 02:19 PM   #47

Glad you enjoyed it, SKA..It does need some "flavor"..and it's easy to tweak..
Old 07-06-2007, 06:32 PM   #48
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I made some with the synthrax Green Apple. . .and it was MAYBE the best yet. . .added cinnamon and used DaVinci's gingerbread and the butter spray.

The dryness just means I can't eat em too fast and that I don't overindulge. I like that about this cookie.

I, like Jude, make 2, but I haven't made em with the batter that thin. I will try that tomorrow. I have just cooked 2 at once for 30 seconds. I'm happy with that. I cook em on a piece of paper used in food service. Like you get a donut with. No spray needed for that.

I agree, Jude, they are great on the go, and I can see eating these both as a breakfast and as a snack. . .a take along one. I think they are "good" without much refrigeration. What do you think? Since they are dried out?

Just picking your brains!!
Old 07-06-2007, 07:33 PM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bethstarr
Stats: 235/215/175
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic
Start Date: June 11, 2007
Well I decided to try this and its not the greatest(but that could be because my stomach is not feeling well) It definitely would help if i was craving something though. I only had plain protein powder so i added a touch of cocoa powder, some raspberry davinci's, peanut butter, splenda, water and butter. It came out more like a dense brownie. I added a dollop of S.F. Cool whip and a scoop of my l.c. rocky road. Not Bad
bethstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 12:48 AM   #50
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: TXniteowl
I have been eating these for a few months now and I LOVE them for a light breakfast with coffee! I've never been a big breakfast eater and these are perfect for me.

I don't like adding water to mine because I think it waters down the taste. I use 1/2 scoop Designer Whey PP (either French Vanilla or Chocolate), a pkt of splenda and sometimes a sprinkle of cinnamon. I use the I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray and just keep spritzing it on and smooshing around until it holds together.

It does come out rather dry so maybe I will try cooking it a little less. I can't wait to try out some of these new ideas!
Old 07-07-2007, 06:27 AM   #51

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnamater View Post
I agree, Jude, they are great on the go, and I can see eating these both as a breakfast and as a snack. . .a take along one. I think they are "good" without much refrigeration. What do you think? Since they are dried out?
I don't think they need to be refrigerated as long as they aren't doughy on the inside. Cheese crisps can be stored at room temperature for a long time so why shouldn't these?
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 09:28 AM   #52
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ncgirl
Thanks for posting this, Carolyn (and thanks everyone else for the ideas and pictures!). This was great! (I did Cookie Dough Da Vinci with Designer Whey Chocolate/Caramel).
ncgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 06:18 AM   #53
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Somewhere I read that they are doing this with an egg. . .then it becomes 3 minute cake. Carolyn, full circle!

Anybody have any luck with THAT? Actually, they mentioned not using protein powder. . .so that makes it Carolyn's flourless chocolate cake. . .with cocoa, that is!

Janie
Old 07-08-2007, 06:49 AM   #54

Janie: Hmm..I think if we added an egg to 1/2 scoop of the protein powder and the rest of the ingredients..maybe with 1/4 tsp. of baking powder..WOULD WE HAVE CAKE? I'll have to try it this afternoon..It's like a magic recipe, huh?
Old 07-08-2007, 08:48 AM   #55
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Definitely post your results, Carolyn!
Old 07-08-2007, 11:29 AM   #56
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
Jude: I was thinking of eliminating the fat next time..My son had some Muscle Milk (chocolate peanut butter), but it has quite a bit of fat already in it. When Amy made hers, she used that non-fat butter, so I think we do need some liquid..but probably fat is optional.

So, yours looked like pancake batter???
Yes, it did, though much stickier...actually, it's beginning to remind me of a small size version of the Beignets or LC Donuts recipe, the one that I either deep fry or bake off...they, too, get squeaky-dry if they're overcooked (and it has butter or oil in it, too) so I'm pretty sure it's the time and temp and not the oil or fat that makes the difference.

[COLOR="Navy"][COLOR="Blue"]Beignets ("French Donuts"), baked version[/COLOR][/COLOR]

Last edited by theislandgirl; 07-08-2007 at 11:40 AM..
theislandgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 11:38 AM   #57
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Quote:
I don't think they need to be refrigerated as long as they aren't doughy on the inside. Cheese crisps can be stored at room temperature for a long time so why shouldn't these?
Ditto. The lack of moisture means they're pretty good on the counter top or in a baggie for some time. I did leave a couple out on a plate overnight and they dried out completely. Back to that squeaky too dry thing. So don't do that... unless you want it really dry, rather like a bland meringue.

These all need a serious flavour kick to work and not to be undercooked... oh, and the ICBINB is only calorie free if you use it in regular serving sizes, folks...check the ingredients out. When we're using teaspoons of the stuff, it's a little different counting process.
theislandgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 12:41 PM   #58
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Okay, my tweak, and sorry no picts.

Convection oven--350 degrees reg oven 375 degrees.

2 eggs
1/4 c DaVinci's (I used egg nog. . .but any flavor I think)
10 sprays CBINRButter
few squirts of my homemade sucralose with stevia mixture--to taste
few twists of grater of nutmeg (cinnamon would be good too)
2 1/2 scoops of Designer Whey protein. . .I used French Vanilla
1/4 t. baking powder

Mixed all and cooked 6 muffins in oven in a heavily Pammed silicone mini bundt pan I had that would fit in the convection toaster oven.

Cooked those 10 minutes.

Cooked 1 custard cup, Pammed, in microwave, 30 seconds, had more batter than the other 6--other six had 2 T approx in each. . .guestimate. . .

Now these were NOT with butter, because I chose that.

And they aren't bad. At all. I would take 2-3 to work for breakers, one for snack. . .and I would refrig. them when cooled but not in my lunch 'cause I use a cold pack.

Chocolate is next!

Any idea on cal? carb? I can track it later if no one has an easy program.

Janie

Last edited by magnamater; 07-08-2007 at 01:03 PM.. Reason: forgot any extra sweetener
Old 07-08-2007, 12:42 PM   #59
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I found the microwave one more eggy than the baked. Wonder why?

Janie
Old 07-08-2007, 01:30 PM   #60

Janie: I was thinking that it might be eggy.. Good experimenting..I'm too full from lunch to play around with it..I might have one for dinner, though.