Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2007, 08:42 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: PhillyTwinsMom
WOE: LowCarb & Patience
Start Date: It's a fresh start everyday...!
Using a Pressure Cooker

I just purchased a pressure cooker and I can't wait to try it out. I just got the digital 6qt from QVC, so hopefully it will not be a scary experience.

First I have a question. Do you think that most recipes that are designed for the crockpot can easily be converted to the PC? Do you have any basic tips you can share with me about cooking this way?

I see A LOT of great crockpot receipes I would love to move over to the PC!

Thanks
Philly~
PhillyTwinsMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2007, 08:49 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rexsreine
WOE: low carb
Yes, anything you can do in a crockpot you can do in a pressure cooker. I've learned a couple of things about using one:1) never use higher than medium heat or you'll have sticking and burning and 2) some foods (more delicate ones) do better when put into a stainless bowl covered with foil which is then put into the pressure cooker that has some water in it. There are some recipe sites devoted to pressure cooking that you might want to check out.

Ginny
rexsreine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 09:23 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
[COLOR=red]I cook cauliflower for mashed (or actually I always do twice baked) cauliflower. I have a stainless steel mesh strainer that I put inside the cooker. Add water to the bottom. I bring it to pressure, then cook for 2-3 minutes. It comes out cooked just right to mash, and no worry about excess water in the cauliflower.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#ff0000]I always bring my cooker up to pressure on high, then lower the temp. But I don't have one of those fancy-dancy digital cookers, so I'm not sure on it. Just follow the directions for it. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=#ff0000]Be sure to use enough water. The instructions should tell you how much to add for different foods. It may not have all, just use it as a guide.[/COLOR]

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 09:40 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tim964
WOE: watching fat and calories, not carbs
Start Date: Febuary 2009
I also have one of those non-fancy pressure cookers, and about the best 2 things I make in it are bone-in chicken breasts - the meat basicaly falls off the bone, and brisket. For the brisket, I add one can of diet coke or diet rite (just make sure it is sweetened with splenda), 1/3 c. low carb ketchup, 1/3 c. yellow mustard, and liquid smoke to taste. I bring it to pressure and cook it for about 30 minutes. Once the meat is done, I remove it from the cooker and boil the remaingin sauce to reduce. We like it best made the day ahead since it slices much easier when it is cold, and you can also easily remove the grease from the sauce.

Tim
tim964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 09:57 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Are you putting the bowl, strainer or brisket directly on the bottom of the PC or should it be raised? I have been on a few sites and they mention having a rack on the inside to raise food.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:00 AM   #6
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
I have that PC from QVC and I love it.

If you google "pressure cooker recipes" you'll come up with tons of them, that's what I did when I first got it.
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 11:42 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim964 View Post
For the brisket, I add one can of diet coke or diet rite (just make sure it is sweetened with splenda), 1/3 c. low carb ketchup, 1/3 c. yellow mustard, and liquid smoke to taste. I bring it to pressure and cook it for about 30 minutes. Once the meat is done, I remove it from the cooker and boil the remaingin sauce to reduce. We like it best made the day ahead since it slices much easier when it is cold, and you can also easily remove the grease from the sauce.

Tim
Tim thanks for this. I wanted to make the cola chicken that is posted here (usually simmered on stove) but I wasn't sure if I could put soda in the PC. I think since this is so simple I will start with this and work my way up. S.L.O.W.L.Y

Charski...Thanks for the heads up. I have searched previous PC threads here and also googled. I guess my main interest was in "how to use" or can I convert other recipes easily. Now that I know I can convert crockpot recipes I will be digging in LCF's crockpot sticky

Another question, the suggested liquid level is 1c for my PC. Would the sauces or creams be considered liquid or do I add the sauce and the 1c of water.

I know this may sound silly, but I know this is the best place for me to come for "Live" help/tips.:blush: They give you the bare minimum in the book. I guess they are looking to sell PC cookbooks.
Old 06-23-2007, 05:38 AM   #8
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: jackieba
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: October 2005
I consider any liquid when using my pressure cooker--the main thing is to have enough so it won't evaporate and burn. You don't lose as much liquid as you would simmering on the stove though. I cook a roast for an hour and usually only lose about 1 cup liquid. But it doesn't matter if it's water or a sauce. I love cooking roasts in my pressure cooker--the cheap cuts come out so tender. I also like chicken cooked in the PC and when I have it quail too. I also like to use the PC to tenderize ribs--10 minutes does it then I finish them on the grill (away from the heat) but the grill part is just for that smokey flavor. I never use high heat--always medium. Mine is a 25yr old Presto.
jackieba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 08:28 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jlatislaw
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 18, 2012
My PC is like jackieba's - an ancient Presto. I wouldn't want to be without it. You can cook cut up meat (for soup or chop suey etc.) in 10-15 mins. instead of an hour. Chuck roasts come out so tender you'd think they had been in a crock pot all day. I also never use high heat - just medium then I lower it when the pressure gets up.
jlatislaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 02:05 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks everyone!!! I am trying my first experiment now. I bought a young whole roaster. I am actually browning it and then I am going to put it in with 1-Pepsi One (splenda), 3/4c of LC ketchup (from LSue) and 1/4c mustard. Of course I will be adding a little onion and garlic.

I will let you know how it comes out.
Old 06-23-2007, 05:24 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Well everything turned out great. I initially cooked the chicken for 25mins. When I opened it, it was done but not falling off the bone so I put it back on for 15mins. It was perfect. In fact, it was falling apart when I was trying to get it out. That was an adventure in itself I had to use a large serving spoon to get it all out. The sauce was still thin so I kept the lid off and turned on the browning fuction. It was bubbling wildly in less than a minute. I just let it run till it thinned down, then I poured it over the chicken. If I had some xanthan I am sure this would have been the perfect time to use it and not lose so much sauce due to reduction. That will be on my next netrition order.

I look forward to making other things. I will be digging through the crockpot sticky this evening. I bought a small corned beef and some ribs from the store this morning. (I really need to stay out of the store. I went for eggs and came back with a bag of meat).

Thank everyone.
Old 06-23-2007, 08:00 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: decodiana
Stats: 301/239/150
WOE: Protein Power
Start Date: Start again 1/5/13
This is one of my favorite PC recipes:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/recipe...cat/all/page/1
decodiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 08:38 AM   #13
Gadget Gal

Corned beef comes out great in there - I put it in with its spice packet and a bottle of LC beer. YUMMO, may have to look for one now!

Another thing I have made in there is SF jam. I use the Trader Joe's frozen mixed berries and liquid or granulated Splenda, about 1 cup sweetener to every 3 cups fruit. Put on High, cook 6 minutes, release steam and take off the top and put on Brown and cook down til thickened a bit more. It thickens further as it cools.

Really good stuff!
Old 06-24-2007, 03:45 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

decodiana that looks great. I put it on my watch list. I will definitely have to try it out. I have all the ingre. except the wine. I will have to pick up some.

Charski that jam sounds so good. They have frozen fruit on sale this week at the market. I will look into it.

Today my DH decided to grill, so I took the ribs I bought yesterday and seasoned them, cut to fit and put in the pc for 10mins. I used water, but after reading charski's post I will be sure to use beer next time. They came out tender and just about done. He put them on the grill and they worked out perfect.

I can't wait to experiment some more. But right now I have so much meat cooked I have to wait a couple of days to do more My kids stay the weekdays in the summer with my mom so there is only me and my DH. I will have to try and get him to pack lunch so the food will go faster

Thanks everyone....Keep the ideal coming.

*****Hey I just had an ideal. You know the recipe where you put a lemon and beer can inside the chicken and put on the grill. This would probably work great if I use the beer liquid (minus the can) in the bottom, put the lemon in the chix, season with lemon & pepper and then sit it on the trivet so it's above the liquid. This way it will be like rotissiere lemon chix. Whatcha think???

Last edited by PhillyTwinsMom; 06-24-2007 at 03:48 PM..
Old 06-25-2007, 04:45 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyTwinsMom View Post
Are you putting the bowl, strainer or brisket directly on the bottom of the PC or should it be raised? I have been on a few sites and they mention having a rack on the inside to raise food.
[COLOR=red]My pressure cooker, and I think most, does come with a little rack. I put that in first, and then put the strainer in on top of that. They also sell little expandable stainless steel steamers that would be good for this. Again, put in the little rack (or trivet) then put the steamer on top of that. You want to try to hold the cauliflower up out of the water.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#ff0000]I'm not sure right this moment whether you are supposed to put the meat on the rack when you are cooking in a sauce. Probably not then.[/COLOR]
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 01:47 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Creamy cabbage

I did this in my pressure cooker but I am sure you can slow cook it or put it on the stove.

1 Large head of cabbage
1 can cream of chix mushroom soup
1/2c chix broth

I cut up the cabbage and put in the PC. Topped with soup and broth. The pressure cooker only took 3mins to finish.

I also added a little onion, pepper and minced garlic before closing.

This is the first time I did this, but it came out YUMMY!!
Old 07-03-2007, 09:56 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
Corned beef comes out great in there - I put it in with its spice packet and a bottle of LC beer. YUMMO, may have to look for one now!!
Charski....I just wanted to say THANKS. I made the corned beef last night. I used yuengling light beer and it came out excellent. My DH is sooo excited.

I continue to enjoy my new toy and look forward trying more new things.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:50 PM   #18
Gadget Gal

Oh, that's great! I'm glad he was tickled. Corned beef is such good stuff, especially leftover for sandwiches!
Old 07-03-2007, 02:03 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

I know!!! Too excited!!! I had corned beef and creamy cabbage for lunch today. That was some GOOD stuff.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:59 PM   #20
Gadget Gal

You're inspiring me to get my PC out and make something! LOL!

Please post any other things you do with it too. Isn't that a great appliance? I was skeert of regular old PCs but not of THIS one!
Old 07-04-2007, 06:50 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Shredded BBQ Beef

Using 4 steaks I had in the freezer. I defrosted and seasoned with soul seasoning, salt, pepper and worcestshire sauce.

Into the PC goes 1T of olive oil and 1T of CO.

On the brown setting I cook red onion and celery. When it is welted and starting to brown I remove.

One by one I add the steaks to brown on both sides. Adding a little oil when necessary.

Once this is done I put the veggies back in and add a cup of beer.
PC for 20mins (not tender enough) PC for 20mins more. Tender enough to shred with 2 forks. I remove half of the liquid and add a bottle of KC LC BBQ sauce. PC for 5mins.

This was kind of a figure it out as I go along recipe. It turned out really good. Now I just have to figure out a side to go with it.
Old 07-04-2007, 07:13 PM   #22
Gadget Gal

Coleslaw is great with BBQ beef or pulled pork! I've made something very similar with boneless pork loin chops or a whole pork sirloin.

Also the mocktato salad (made with lightly steamed cauliflorets instead of cubed potatoes) is also really good with dishes like this.

Sounds like you're having fun with your new PC! You go, Girl!