Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2007, 06:38 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Barbara Ray
Stats: 230/150/162/150
WOE: Low Calorie/Low Glycemic Load/Low Carb
Apple Cake

I've gotten some fantastic recipes from so many of you wonderful and inventive cooks - that I tought I'd share one with you.

I saw this on one of our local TV stations and printed it from their website - The credit goes to Chef Dave of Macy's Culinary Council and the "official" name is Jewish Apple Cake. I simply "tweaked" it a little. This is one of those cakes that gets better after a day or two - so make it the day before you want to serve it.

Ingredients for the apples

3 Golden Delicious apples
Juice of one lemon
1 Cup of sugar (I used Splenda Quick Pack - it equals 1 cup of sugar)
1 tsp cinnamon

Ingredients for the batter

4 large eggs
1 1/2 cups of vegetable oil (I used canola)
1 stick of unsalted butter (melted)
2 cups of sugar (I used 1 Splenda Quick Pack - and the Splenda, Erythritol and Diabetisweet blend which I have premixed and keep in an air tight container)
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup warm water
2 1/2 cups flour (I used 1 1/4 cups of Carbalose and 1 1/4 cups of flour blend which I also have premixed and keep in an air tight container)
1/2 tsp salt
1 TBL baking powder

Method of Preparation

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Peel, core and slice apples. Add cup of sugar (the Splenda Pack), cinnamon, lemon juice and toss together

For the batter - mix flour, sugar (the blend), baking powder and salt in a large bowl

In another bowl lightly whisk the eggs and add oil, vanilla, melted butter and warm water.

Gradually whisk the flour mixture with the batter mixture. Be careful not to over mix.

Spray Pam in a bundt pan - pour a layer of batter in the pan and throw in a few apple slices. Then layer it again with more batter, apples, the liquid in the apple bowl and a final layer of the batter

Place in oven for about an hour and 10 minutes - or until the top is nicely browned (my looked good at one hour).

Enjoy!
Barbara Ray is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2007, 10:32 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rexsreine
WOE: low carb
Barbara, this sounds wonderful. DH adores cinnamon and apples, so I'd like to try this. Three questions: Any idea of the cake's nutritional profile? Did you use JenaMarie's cake flour blend? How was the texture?

Thanks for posting!
Ginny
rexsreine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 11:47 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Barbara Ray
Stats: 230/150/162/150
WOE: Low Calorie/Low Glycemic Load/Low Carb
Apple Cake

I'm sorry I don't have a clue about the nutritional value - sorry!

I use the Jena Marie substitute blend:

1 1/2 cups Resistant Starch
1 1/4 cups Wheat Protein Isolate 5000
1 3/4 cups Oat Flour
2 1/2 cups Oat Fiber

19 net carbs per cup.

I use the blend half and half with Carbalose or Carbquick - it has a better texture and eliminates that "aftertaste".

I am always looking for dessert recipes that I can share with "other" people - this is one I would for SURE!!

The texture is the REAL thing.

If your hubbie likes the cinnamon and apple combo a lot I would think you could use more of both - I'm actually thinking I might use 4 apples instead of the 3.

Don't forget - as with most low carb desserts - this cake is better the next day - so make it the day before you want to serve it.
Barbara Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 03:37 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rexsreine
WOE: low carb
Thanks, Barbara. This is on my list of "to do" desserts!

Ginny
rexsreine is offline   Reply With Quote