Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Classic Almond Flour Pound Cake (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/499824-classic-almond-flour-pound-cake.html)

Grammie C 06-17-2007 04:06 AM

Classic Almond Flour Pound Cake

If you would like to have a piece of cake when it is a special day or time to celebrate an event you may want to try this cake. It's rich and moist. Tried a super no stick silicone bundt pan and it was gorgeous

Classic Almond Flour Pound Cake

Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter (1 stick) softened at room temperature
1/2 cup full fat cream cheese
3/4 cup Splenda
5 large eggs, at room temperature
2 cups almond flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon lemon extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Cream butter, cream cheese and Splenda together, mixing well. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. In a separate bowl, mix almond flour with baking powder. Add egg/butter mixture to flour a little at a time while beating. Add lemon and vanilla extracts.

Pour into greased 9"-10" Springform pan, bundt pan, ring pan, (or 9" round cake pan) and bake at 350F for 50-55 minutes.

You can change flavors for this cake by using different extract flavors and even food color if you like!

Makes 12 servings. 6.1 net grams of carbohydrate per serving.

crazyredhead 06-17-2007 06:51 AM

Thanks for posting... sounds yummy and easy too! Just saved it to my recipes and will have to try it some time.

wifezilla 06-17-2007 09:59 AM

this does sound good. I can just see a slice topped with cut strawberries and whipped cream.....yummmmmmm

Kevinpa 06-17-2007 10:22 AM

Just a note:
If you sub.
3/4 tsp splenda quick pack for 3/4 cup splenda
and
unblanched almond flour instead of blanched almond flour

Then the carb count would be under 2 for the same piece.

Joycelyn 06-17-2007 02:13 PM

Thanks for posting this recipe. I almost couldn't believe it when I saw it - I was looking for the recipe this morning and couldn't find it! Is this perfect timing or what? Thanks again - this is a pretty terrific recipe. I made this last year for a relative who is diabetic. Just yesterday we saw him, and a year later he still can't stop talking about that cake! I lost my recipe so you are a lifesaver. Thanks again!

Kevinpa 06-17-2007 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scorpgc (Post 8781809)
Thanks, Kevinpa. So if we substituted the Splenda quickpack for the bag, would we need to add another filler? thanks!

No Gary, pourable splenda contribues nothing to volume so there is no need to worry about filler because the end product will be the same whichever you use.

CarolynF 06-17-2007 08:36 PM

I DO need to make this again..Thanks for posting the recipe!!!

dawnyama 06-18-2007 07:36 AM

I was just thinking of making this for my guests, that are from Japan, this week. Everytime I have made this cake it has always come out dry. My DH coughs everytime I serve it to him--he will no longer eat it. And he is very wary of my LC creations because of this. I was just wondering how to adjust the ingredients to alleviate this problem. Any suggestions?

wifezilla 06-18-2007 09:05 AM

You could try adding 1/4 cup of sour cream to the recipe.

dawnyama 06-18-2007 01:15 PM

Thanks--I have that and will include it. I will let you know how that works.

Deannie 06-19-2007 09:26 PM

I made one this week and found mine only took 30-35 minutes. I used 8 oz. cream cheese and no butter in it. It's really moist. HTH

pamk 06-20-2007 04:31 PM

Made a similar pound cake on Linda Sue's website, and with 5 eggs, it tasted very eggy-how does this taste? Cannot tolerate the slightest egg flavor.

Pam

ChristiansMom 06-24-2007 08:41 AM

Mmm this sounds yummy too!

I will add this to my list of things to try this coming week.

Thanks!

ChristiansMom 06-25-2007 03:31 AM

Ok I couldn't wait and made a loaf yesterday afternoon.
WOW it tasted and smelled just like a regular pound cake! I think next time I might take it out at about 45 minutes though. I tested it with a wooden stick at 35 minutes and it was still wet in the middle - so I left it in for 55 minutes and it is fine but just a tad on the dry side so next time I think 45 minutes should be good.

I had a slice last night with some sliced strawberries and a little whip cream - YUMMY! And I no longer am craving cake like I was before I found this recipe.

Thanks so much for sharing this - I'm going to make it with banana flavoring and nuts for a Banana Nut Bread taste and also going to try Orange as well as maybe a Spice Cake type flavor.

Itsanewme 06-25-2007 04:35 AM

Kahlua Pound Cake: omit lemon extract and add 1 - 2 tsp. espresso powder.

That Girl 06-26-2007 06:52 PM

is this cake grainy or textured like real pound cake? gosh, out of everything i have had to give up, i really miss a good piece of choc or vanilla cake. pilsbury, betty crocker cake mix types. thanks

ChristiansMom 07-16-2007 08:17 PM

Bella - I think it's textured just like pound cake but looks like the coloring of banana bread (I used Almond Meal). The smell and taste was very very similar to pound cake. Not quite spongy like Sara Lee type pound cake but as good as I could have imagined for this WOE.

I made a sinful dessert with it. I cut two very thin slices and layered them like a torte with SF chocolate fudge pudding, sliced almonds and whip topping. OMG it was like eating heaven! Not something I should probably have on a regular basis but once in awhile is o.k. :D

This is going in my recipe file, no doubt about it!

I think next time I might add more lemon flavoring, some poppy seeds and some sliced almonds on top for a Almond Lemon Poppyseed Cake :up:

metqa 01-23-2011 02:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I'm bumping this thread because I think new folks need to know just how awesome this cake is. Plus I have some new photos! :D

I have a lot of miniature baking pans cause they are cute :blush: and they make nice personal sized whatzits.

So I used my mini baking cake pans to make this recipe . I split it in half and baked them till they browned. longer than muffins but not nearly as long as the big cake recipe calls for.

I baked one in a springform pan and the other in a ... uh, holey pan. ( is that an angel food cake pan? :confused::dunno: ) anyway. I baked them the same amount of time and they came out as moist and delicious as usual. The top browned,and the bottoms and sides stayed light. I don't frost them i like them as they are.

I like the one with the hole cause it slices into neat little squares! :p I haven't tried but I'm sure this would make yummy cupcakes also.

these taste so awesome plain that I find it hard to add anything to them, but someone made fudge topped pound cake ( non LC) and while I dont' care for fudge, I thought it might be nice to bake this in a square pan, cut them into small cubes, and dip them in a dark chocolate ganach for little chocolate pound cake bites.

I'll post pics if I get around to trying so.

WildflowerMama 01-23-2011 05:01 PM

Did you bake them in a water bath? The original recipe doesn't call for one but, your picture looks like they're baking in water so, I just wanted to check.

metqa 01-23-2011 06:46 PM

Oh , no, they are two piece baking pans, and I was afraid of the batter leaking out or rising up and flowing over. the foil was just an extra precaution.

I do sometimes use water bath for cheesecakes though.

Kisal 01-23-2011 10:19 PM

I need to make some petit fours. Would this cake recipe work for something like that? I've never made petit fours before. :confused:

mac24312 01-24-2011 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metqa (Post 14304373)
I'm bumping this thread because I think new folks need to know just how awesome this cake is. Plus I have some new photos! :D

I have a lot of miniature baking pans cause they are cute :blush: and they make nice personal sized whatzits.

So I used my mini baking cake pans to make this recipe . I split it in half and baked them till they browned. longer than muffins but not nearly as long as the big cake recipe calls for.

I baked one in a springform pan and the other in a ... uh, holey pan. ( is that an angel food cake pan? :confused::dunno: ) anyway. I baked them the same amount of time and they came out as moist and delicious as usual. The top browned,and the bottoms and sides stayed light. I don't frost them i like them as they are.

I like the one with the hole cause it slices into neat little squares! :p I haven't tried but I'm sure this would make yummy cupcakes also.

these taste so awesome plain that I find it hard to add anything to them, but someone made fudge topped pound cake ( non LC) and while I dont' care for fudge, I thought it might be nice to bake this in a square pan, cut them into small cubes, and dip them in a dark chocolate ganach for little chocolate pound cake bites.

I'll post pics if I get around to trying so.

Now I cannot decide to make this or Jennifers LC Gluten Free CC cookies!:eek:

Wonder what would happen if I added around 1/2 cup of sour cream to this like I use to do the LC Choc Mayo cake??:dunno:

Soobee 01-24-2011 07:34 AM

I think the cake would work for petit fours.

SCOTTSDALEJULIE 01-24-2011 09:41 AM

I always use this recipe for strawberry short cake. It's uber yummy.

graciejean 01-24-2011 09:50 AM

Where can I buy the small {cute} cake pans ?I really would like to buy them. Thanks

Kisal 01-24-2011 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soobee (Post 14306580)
I think the cake would work for petit fours.

Great! :kicking: :clap: :up:

I have a recipe for a lc chocolate ganache that Scott123 posted. I thought I might use that for the icing. If that doesn't work, I have a recipe for a chocolate glaze that I might be able to make with lc chocolate chips.

I thought I'd get some sf seedless raspberry preserves to use as the filling.

(My birthday is coming up. Nobody's gonna be around but me, so I thought petit fours would be kinda fun ... "individual servings", you see, and freezable. I adore petit fours and haven't had them for over 6 years. :love: :blush: )

mac24312 01-24-2011 02:51 PM

Question..
I made this in a reg tube pan today..

Good..

What I wanted to know is I have a pan that is a 12 mini bunt pan...How many "bunts" does this fill for this recipe?? :]

sandyfanny 01-24-2011 03:13 PM

Thanks so much, everyone. I got in big trouble today at work...ate a slice of seven-layer chocolate cake. I haven't had cake since August. OMG! And I was looking for a cake recipe that's safe for me. You have delivered me from pure evil.

WildflowerMama 01-24-2011 03:55 PM

I made this today with the addition of a couple tablespoons of orange juice and it was delicious! Very light and moist and the hint of orange was soo good!

I made mine in a greased pampered chef fluted pan and it did stick so, I'd probably do a non stick pan next time.