Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2011, 05:23 AM   #31
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisal View Post
I would just try it and see. If it doesn't fill all the spaces, just fill the empty ones with water. The water ensures that the entire pan absorbs heat evenly. Without it, the empty spaces could overheat.

That's what I was taught to do with muffin tins, anyway, when I was learning to bake back in the dark ages.
I just took a look at the notes I posted for the pound cake recipe on my site and here's what I wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaSue
I bought myself a tin with 12 mini fluted tube pans so now I can make individual serving pound cakes. They came out very cute and are half the size of the mini bundt cakes. Bake them for 19-20 minutes. The tins were a little too full. My batter came all the way to the top of the tins, so I think you could get more servings by filling the tins 3/4 full and make a few mini muffins with the excess batter.
It's a Wilton pan and here's what the cakes looked like:

I also have some mini bundt cake pans that are a bit larger. The look about the same size in the photo but they're not really. I got 5 of those from the batter:

LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2011, 05:51 AM   #32
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: mac24312
Stats: 250/130/140
WOE: Stella Style/My OWN LC WOL ;]/Maintenance
Start Date: October 07 2006 Over 6 years on Atkins ;]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaSue View Post
I just took a look at the notes I posted for the pound cake recipe on my site and here's what I wrote:

It's a Wilton pan and here's what the cakes looked like:

I also have some mini bundt cake pans that are a bit larger. The look about the same size in the photo but they're not really. I got 5 of those from the batter:

Thanks Linda!

Wilton is the pan I bought months ago and have not even used it yet!

I did add around 1/4 cup of sour cream to the one I made yesterday.
Was good out of the oven and even BETTER from sitting overnight!
mac24312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:10 AM   #33

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybuns View Post
Where can I buy the small {cute} cake pans ?I really would like to buy them. Thanks
I've gotten them from several places. Walmart is the first place I'd suggest, since they are usually steady in their supplies if they have them at all..I've also bought them at Big Lots,...good luck, nothing ever sticks around there. You could also try a bakery shop but they will be price there.

I payed between $3-6 dollars for one to three pans , depending on how they are packaged. I've gotten mini cake pans, mini pie plates, mini heart cake pans, mini muffin tins, mini loaf pans, mini bundt, mini springform, mini angelfood cake pan ( the one with the hole all the way through), mini cookie sheet for the toaster oven, mini roasting pan for cornish hens or small roasts.
here is what some of them look like, I don't have the ruffle edged pans or the jello mold looking pan,

I'd like some mini tartlet pans.

I love mini. I even found a mini brownie bite pan at Micheals, but it is full size pan, so I'd have to make two dozen bites. i got it to make candies but maybe I'll bake pound cake bites in it. it might be less crumbly than cutting them into bites, or it could end up a mess...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac24312 View Post
Question..
I made this in a reg tube pan today..

Good..

What I wanted to know is I have a pan that is a 12 mini bunt pan...How many "bunts" does this fill for this recipe?? :]
Thanks Linda Sue for piping in on the multi bundt pan.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:51 AM   #34
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: its4me
WOE: Weight Watchers Points Plus
Start Date: 4/24/11
I made this cake yesterday and it turned out well. I added some orange sf davincis, some sf orange marmalade and a few drops of orange flavoring. I also added about 1/4 c of resistant wheat flour. I made it in a loaf pan. It browned a little too fast, so I think I would turn the oven down a little and bake it a little more gently the next time.

It would be excellent in the small bundt pan, maybe with a sugar free fruit compote on top and some whipped cream.

Good recipe.
its4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:33 AM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: graciejean
Thanks for the reply,I am going to wally world tomarrow.
graciejean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 04:45 PM   #36
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
I've gotten them from several places. Walmart is the first place I'd suggest, since they are usually steady in their supplies if they have them at all..I've also bought them at Big Lots,...good luck, nothing ever sticks around there. You could also try a bakery shop but they will be price there.

I payed between $3-6 dollars for one to three pans , depending on how they are packaged. I've gotten mini cake pans, mini pie plates, mini heart cake pans, mini muffin tins, mini loaf pans, mini bundt, mini springform, mini angelfood cake pan ( the one with the hole all the way through), mini cookie sheet for the toaster oven, mini roasting pan for cornish hens or small roasts.
here is what some of them look like, I don't have the ruffle edged pans or the jello mold looking pan,

I'd like some mini tartlet pans.

I love mini. I even found a mini brownie bite pan at Micheals, but it is full size pan, so I'd have to make two dozen bites. i got it to make candies but maybe I'll bake pound cake bites in it. it might be less crumbly than cutting them into bites, or it could end up a mess...

Thanks Linda Sue for piping in on the multi bundt pan.
I seen that Brownie pan at Walmart but didnt buy it!!
I WILL my next trip!
Old 01-25-2011, 11:19 PM   #37
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jacksmixedtape
Stats: 160/140ish, 5'11"
WOE: gluten-free whole foods
Start Date: May 2007
Christina or Linda Sue - could you describe the taste of this, somewhat in detail? It'd be much appreciated! I've had no luck with almond flour cakes in the paste. They've all tasted eggy, and been too moist and crumbly. Such a waste of expensive ingredients. :/ What is this cake like? I'm so tempted to bust out my small cute bundt pans like in your photo, Linda Sue!

Did you use ground almonds or storebought almond flour when you made this cake?

Also, is 8 ounces of cream cheese better than the 1/2 cream cheese half butter? Has anyone tried that? Thanks for any tips, fellow bakers.

"I've got a perfect body, but sometimes I forget. I've got a perfect body 'cause my eyelashes catch my sweat."
jacksmixedtape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:42 AM   #38
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Lauren!!
I used the recipe in this post but I added around 1/4 cup of sour cream to mine...
I used Almond Flour not Ground almonds...
The only thing I will do different next time is to use Erythonol/Liquid splenda instead of all Liquid Splenda in mine..

I know Almond Flour and sour cream makes it more moist because I tried this recipe a long time along with Ground Almonds and it was just TOO grainy..

SO glad you see you back on board Lauren!
How is school going??

Last edited by mac24312; 01-26-2011 at 02:44 AM..
Old 01-26-2011, 09:45 AM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CreekWatcher
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksmixedtape View Post
Christina or Linda Sue - could you describe the taste of this, somewhat in detail? It'd be much appreciated! I've had no luck with almond flour cakes in the paste. They've all tasted eggy, and been too moist and crumbly. Such a waste of expensive ingredients. :/ What is this cake like? I'm so tempted to bust out my small cute bundt pans like in your photo, Linda Sue!

Did you use ground almonds or storebought almond flour when you made this cake?

Also, is 8 ounces of cream cheese better than the 1/2 cream cheese half butter? Has anyone tried that? Thanks for any tips, fellow bakers.
I made this and liked it very much, and I'm almost eggyphobic when it comes to breads, etc...however I used one fourth cup each of erythritol and polydextrose as part of the sweetening...it was reasonably moist and not at all crumbly.
CreekWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:13 AM   #40

Lauren, to me it tastes like regular pound cake but the texture is a little more grainy. I'm not talking about a store bought kind of pound cake. I mean the real from scratch kind. I've only made it with half butter and half cream cheese. I like the buttery flavor.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:51 AM   #41
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jlatislaw
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 18, 2012
Hi Lauren! I've often wondered how you were doing.

LindaSue's recipe is slightly different than the one posted here in that her's uses a little less almond flour. I've made Linda's and liked it and don't remember any eggy taste. But then "eggy" doesn't bother me. I usually try maybe 1/4 the recipe to see if I like it without wasting a lot of expensive ingredients. I always use the blanched almond "flour" that I buy online. And any recipe that LindaSue gives 5 stars has always been good!

Last edited by jlatislaw; 01-26-2011 at 11:53 AM..
jlatislaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:06 PM   #42
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SCOTTSDALEJULIE
Stats: 242/202/145
How about making this substituting splend and Almond Flour Cake. Going to try this soon.

Patriotic Berry Trifle
Description
Recipe
About Will be a huge hit at your next get together!!

Yields: 8-10 servings

¼ cup plus ⅔ cup sugar
¼ cup fresh lemon juice
¼ teaspoon almond extract
1 premade angel food cake, cut into 1-inch slices
1 pound cream cheese, at room temperature
2 cups heavy cream, at room temperature
2 pints blueberries
2 pints strawberries, hulled and sliced

Heat ¼ cup sugar, the lemon juice and ¼ cup water in a saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring, until the sugar dissolves. Remove from the heat and stir in the almond extract.

Brush both sides of each slice of cake with the syrup. Cut the slices into 1-inch cubes.

Beat the remaining ⅔ cup sugar and the cream cheese with a mixer on medium speed until smooth and light. Add the cream and beat on medium-high speed until smooth and the consistency of whipped cream.

Arrange half of the cake cubes in the bottom of a 13-cup trifle dish. Sprinkle evenly with a layer of blueberries. Dollop half of the cream mixture over the blueberries and gently spread. Top with a layer of strawberries. Layer the remaining cake cubes on top of the strawberries, then sprinkle with more blueberries and top with the remaining cream mixture. Finish with the remaining strawberries and blueberries, arranging them in a decorative pattern. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour
SCOTTSDALEJULIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:07 PM   #43
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hockey_gal
Stats: 172/156/150 5'7.5 Goal met: Aug 19/11
WOE: Moderate LC
Start Date: Aug 2010
I made this today - but I subbed some of the splenda for caramel flavoured sucralose, maple extract instead of lemon and added some pecan pieces.

It turned out absolutely fantastic. I love lemon pound cake too but I wanted to make something that didn't need whip cream or anything else. I find the lemon a little boring after a slice or two.

Thanks for the recipe!!

Deanne
hockey_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 04:56 AM   #44
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dazygyrl
this looks good!

do the eggs have to be room temp? who has time to wait for *that*? lol!!

when it says to add the flour mix while beating, is that with an electric mixer or just while you're stirring it with a spoon?
dazygyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:26 AM   #45

it says "while beating" so I'd mix it in while still running the electric hand mixer.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:33 AM   #46
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

yeah, that's what i wondered...beating with a spoon or an electirc mixer?

so you use an electric mixer?
Old 01-28-2011, 06:35 AM   #47
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

and what about the eggs....is it crucial to use room temp?

when i want to make a cake it's usually spur of the moment and don't want to wait for eggs to warm up. lol.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:57 AM   #48

I don't know if it really matters. In fact half the time I will have a dozen eggs on the counter anyway. I just use what I have. I think if it were cheese cake or something more temperature sensitive it might matter.

Plus I wonder if it's a fluff factor since whites fluff more at room temp, but we aren't separating the eggs so

But it might be interesting to try separating the eggs, mixing the batter with everything else then folding beaten whites in. It might make it lighter in density. or it might not!

Go make and and let us know how you like it. I really want some and can't have any for a while, so I'm tasting vicariously through you all!
Old 01-28-2011, 07:02 AM   #49
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

good grief, who has time to separate eggs! lol! NOT I!

i will put it on my list to try soon! and will report back how it went with my COLD eggs.

(and isn't a POUND cake supposed to be dense? heehee...)
Old 01-28-2011, 09:02 AM   #50
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/152/150
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
If I need room-temp eggs, I place them in a bowl of warm water while I prepare the rest of the ingredients. It does the trick nicely, without wasting a lot of time.
theredhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:27 AM   #51
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
Carrie, Alton Brown says room remperature eggs are not necessary with a good mixer. Just beat them a little longer. I seldom remember to bring the eggs to room temperature either. It's nice to have a scientyific explanation for one's mistakes.
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 10:34 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3bees~1flower View Post
this looks good!

do the eggs have to be room temp? who has time to wait for *that*? lol!!

when it says to add the flour mix while beating, is that with an electric mixer or just while you're stirring it with a spoon?
I always use my eggs cold from the fridge.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:02 PM   #53
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hockey_gal
Stats: 172/156/150 5'7.5 Goal met: Aug 19/11
WOE: Moderate LC
Start Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
and what about the eggs....is it crucial to use room temp?

when i want to make a cake it's usually spur of the moment and don't want to wait for eggs to warm up. lol.
The problem with cold eggs is that it "reclumps" the cream cheese. Cream cheese has to be soft so it can be creamed with the sugar...once you put the eggs in you will get cream cheese chunks forming. I have made this mistake!

I just put them in warm water like the previous poster. But like you, I find it fustrating bc I'm not always sure if/when I feel like baking.

EDIT: I am using a hand mixer so maybe those big industrial Kitchenaid ones are different!
hockey_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 12:37 PM   #54
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

thanks for all the eggy input! maybe i'll try this tonight.

any ol' pan will work won't it? all i have for smaller ones is an 8x8 square.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:44 PM   #55
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CreekWatcher
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey_gal View Post
The problem with cold eggs is that it "reclumps" the cream cheese. Cream cheese has to be soft so it can be creamed with the sugar...once you put the eggs in you will get cream cheese chunks forming. I have made this mistake!

I just put them in warm water like the previous poster. But like you, I find it fustrating bc I'm not alway
s sure if/when I feel like baking.

EDIT: I am using a hand mixer so maybe those big industrial Kitchenaid ones are different!
I find that this is the case if I try to put more than one egg in at a time, or if I run the Kitchen Aid at more than the slowest speed; but if the cream cheese does clump, it seems that when I put the flour in (a little at a time), it comes together fine anyway...
CreekWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 03:21 PM   #56
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaSue View Post
I always use my eggs cold from the fridge.
I used cold eggs with NO problem in this cake...
Old 01-28-2011, 03:25 PM   #57
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: newyorkmeg
Stats: 247/152/healthy 5'8"
WOE: Just LC
Start Date: 10/09
Finally have a kitchen-yay!!!
Noe I can bake-thanks
newyorkmeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:07 PM   #58
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

made this tonight. it's cooling and we'll have some for dessert in a little bit.

slight minor tweaks.

added:
1 tsp x. gum
used 1/4c coconut flour in place of a 1/4c alm flour.
couple dollups of sour cream to adjust for the moisture sucking power of the coconut flour.
splash of alm milk
Old 02-01-2011, 08:47 PM   #59
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
Quote:
made this tonight. it's cooling and we'll have some for dessert in a little bit.

slight minor tweaks.

added:
1 tsp x. gum
used 1/4c coconut flour in place of a 1/4c alm flour.
couple dollups of sour cream to adjust for the moisture sucking power of the coconut flour.
splash of alm milk

and how did it turn out?
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:33 AM   #60
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

i was sorta disappointed. i thought it was too eggy. if i make it again, i not going to use 5 eggs. i dunno, it just had an odd taste to me.