Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Wonton Replacement (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/499609-wonton-replacement.html)

PhillyTwinsMom 06-15-2007 12:18 PM

Wonton Replacement

Has anyone found a decent replacement for wonton wrappers? I was watching a program on Food Network and she was making the wonton with a crab filling. I would love to give them a try. Any ideals what I could use?

I did do a search on the board and most of the answers are a little old. I am wondering if any new ideals have come up or if anyone has tried making the skins with the CQ receipe posted, a while ago, by chefgreg? If you have made the CQ version can you give me your opinion?

Thanks
Philly

Candid 06-15-2007 06:42 PM

INGREDIENTS
  • 1 egg
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour (Substitute your choice of low carb flour or mix)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
DIRECTIONS
  1. [COLOR=#333333]In a medium bowl, beat the egg. Mix in the water.[/COLOR]
  2. [COLOR=#333333]In a large bowl, combine the flour and salt. Create a well in the center of the mixture and slowly pour in the egg and water. Mix well. If the mixture is too dry, increase the amount of water one teaspoon at a time until a pliable dough has formed.[/COLOR]
  3. [COLOR=#333333]On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough until elastic. Cut dough into two separate balls. Cover the balls with a damp cloth for a minimum of 10 minutes.[/COLOR]
  4. [COLOR=#333333]Cut each ball into four equal pieces. Roll the pieces into 10 1/2x10 1/2 inch squares. Cut the squares into 3 1/2x3 1/2 inch squares. Use in any recipe that calls for wonton wrappers.[/COLOR]
Anyone care to give it a whirl?

HappyisNow 06-16-2007 04:52 PM

Not sure if this helps. I make my wontons the normal way for DH and myself. The only difference is that I peel away the wrap when eating it. The wrap really has not taste, just the soup and the filling so it's good enough for me. :)

PhillyTwinsMom 06-17-2007 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nanasue (Post 8776643)
INGREDIENTS
  • 1 egg
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour (Substitute your choice of low carb flour or mix)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
DIRECTIONS
  1. [COLOR=#333333]In a medium bowl, beat the egg. Mix in the water.[/COLOR]
  2. [COLOR=#333333]In a large bowl, combine the flour and salt. Create a well in the center of the mixture and slowly pour in the egg and water. Mix well. If the mixture is too dry, increase the amount of water one teaspoon at a time until a pliable dough has formed.[/COLOR]
  3. [COLOR=#333333]On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough until elastic. Cut dough into two separate balls. Cover the balls with a damp cloth for a minimum of 10 minutes.[/COLOR]
  4. [COLOR=#333333]Cut each ball into four equal pieces. Roll the pieces into 10 1/2x10 1/2 inch squares. Cut the squares into 3 1/2x3 1/2 inch squares. Use in any recipe that calls for wonton wrappers.[/COLOR]
Anyone care to give it a whirl?

Reading it, it looks so easy. But I know me. It will turn into a major project. I am willing to give it a try is someone would tell me what the best flour sub or combo would be. I have CQ, WPI5000, Golden Flax and the choice of almond, pecan or walnut flour.

So what do you think? Do you think a dough amateur would be able to succeed? :o

Kevinpa 06-17-2007 06:06 PM

The carbquik recipe that chef Greg had listed is almost identical to to the one Nana posted except he suggests sifting the carbquik. If it were me I would do either all carbquik or a 75/25 blend of carbquik/wpi5000. I don't think flax or nut flour would work well for this application.

Yummy's_Girl 06-17-2007 06:38 PM

I was about to say the same thing, but Kevin beat me too it. I can't see the nut flours or flax working.

If you try it, let us know how it turns out!