Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2007, 08:00 AM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: wifezilla
Stats: 250/207/190
WOE: Read em all. Doing it my way.
Start Date: May 2007
"Breading" - best lc substitute?

I did some experimenting last night trying to find a good lc "breading" for some chicken nuggets. I fried a bunch of stuff up last night. Here is what the results of my experimenting were...

1. seasoned hazelnut meal: very tasty, but doesn't get as crunchy as I would like.
2. seasoned powdered parmesan cheese: browns up nice, does get crunchy, but has a gritty/dusty feel to it.
3. seasoned flax meal: browns up nice, is crispy, but has that oily yucky texture that cooked flax can give you. it was my least favorite.
4. seasoned unsweetened coconut flakes: THIS was may favorite. Nice and crispy, great flavor, but hubby hated it. LOL. Actually, that may work in my favor...he isn't going lc and usually eats my lc stuff on me anyway.

The seasoning was pepper, salt, chayenne pepper and some garlic

Anyone else had a favorite lc breading? What works best? I want to try some on fish next time I buy some.

My Favorite Low Carb Ezine! Modern Savage Living
wifezilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2007, 08:29 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: woofie47
Stats: 183/130/120 5'1
WOE: original Atkins/EFGT
Start Date: Atkins in 1979, EFGT 11/06
try using vital wheat gluten, either alone or with parmesan or lc bread crumbs.
maybe ground pork rinds.
woofie47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 08:33 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tish437
Triscuits is whole grain and low in sugar. When I want a crust I crush them up in a baggie. Works great, lots of crunch.
Tish437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 09:01 AM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: wifezilla
Stats: 250/207/190
WOE: Read em all. Doing it my way.
Start Date: May 2007
I have to stay away from wheat. it triggers binging, bloating and I am mildly allergic.
wifezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 03:41 PM   #5
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Crushed pork rinds (especially the hot & spicy ones) mixed about half and half with Parm cheese is good. Sometimes I also add some Carbquik, all in about equal ratios.

I dip whatever it is I'm breading in beaten eggwhite (not the whole egg - the whites alone are "stickier" IMHO) and then in the crumb mixture.

You can also use mayonnaise as the "glue" and then bread.
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 05:18 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Candid
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: August 2002
I am partial to the clone of Bob's Redmill bake mix that I came up with a while back. Even my non LC food snob Moma likes it. My stepdad went to the Dr.(he's diabetic) and showed him his blood count record and showed him how good his numbers where when I was there visiting a few weeks ago. But you know every one has different tastes. But here is my mix recipe if you are interested.

1 cup vital wheat gluten
1 cup oat flour
1/3 cup oat bran
1/2 cup ground flax meal
1/2 wheat bran
1 cup soy flour
1/4 cup rye flour
1/2 cup whey protein
2 tsp. sea salt

my nutritional values figured as such: for a serving of 1/4 cup
calories 88

fat grams 2

total carbs 9

fiber 4

protein 10
Candid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 06:12 AM   #7
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: jackieba
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: October 2005
For chicken I prefer ground pork rinds, esp the spicy ones but plain works fine too. I add garlic and pepper and if using plain pork rinds I add cajun seasoning or red pepper. I put the pork rinds in a ziplock bag. I dip in egg then drop the chicken in the bag and shake. It stays on well and gives a nice crunch.

For fish, I combine pork rinds,Carbquik, Hazelnut meal and Almond meal in equal amounts along with red pepper, black pepper and garlic powder but you probably don't use Carbquik because of the wheat. To me the Carbquik, Hazelnut and Almond meals give a "cornmeal-like" taste and the pork rinds just add extra crunch with no more carbs. I have done it without the pork rinds too.

Last edited by jackieba; 06-16-2007 at 06:23 AM..
jackieba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 12:18 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SarahAnne717
Stats: 172/143/135
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: today and everyday
we just had chicken breaded in hot&spicy pork rinds (ground very fine in my magic bullet), and then put in the deep fryer... didn't even need to put in egg whites first. Turned out great
SarahAnne717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 04:10 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nolagina
Stats: 236/169/140
WOE: Protein Power
Start Date: December 2006
I mix a bit of almond flour, finely ground walnuts and/or pecans, grated Parmesan cheese and various spices.
nolagina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 03:47 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rexsreine
WOE: low carb
Been meaning to answer this post for days...

Wifezilla, there are four different "breadings" I use. I like them all; it just depends what I have on hand and how much time I have to put things together. All them came from somewhere on this site so I am indebted to those who have gone before and shared! Here goes:

Anne's Basic Breading (a lot like nolagina's)
1 cup grated Parmesan (green can stuff)
1 cup almond meal - blanched or unblanched (latter is cheaper)
1 cup Carbquik

Add onion and/or garlic powder, pepper, Cajun or Italian spices as desired. Other nut meals work, too (pecan or hazelnut, for example)

LC Breading

2cups dried onion
2 tsp Kosher salt
1/2 tsp ground pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp ground sage
1 tsp dried rosemary
1 Tbsp sweet paprika (I use Hungarian)
1 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp dried basil
2 crushed bay leaves
1/4 cup protein powder (MUST be unflavored!!!!)
1 1/2 cups grated Parmesan (green can)

Put dried onion in food processor or blender. Pulse at least 1 minute. Add everything else except Parmesan. Pulse 1 minute. Add Parmesan and pulse about 10 seconds. Use a somewhat lower heat when frying as this has a tendency to brown quite quickly.

Breading #3

1 cup vital wheat gluten
1 cup oat flour
1 cup Parmesan
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
2 Tbsp dried parsley flakes

Combine well. Whole recipe is supposed to be 70 carbs.

Breading #4

Dry out LC commercial (I've used Aunt Hattie's because it's the only one sold here, but there are undoubtedly others) bread in a low oven. Put in the food processor to grind. Add onion and/or garlic powder and other seasonings to taste. Add as much Parmesan as you have crumbs. I make homemade LC bread, too, and it is even better, but I don't usually have enough leftover bread to do this.

Also, Kevin has a breadcrumbs recipe that he uses, though it would require making homemade bread, which you may not want to do.

I have even combined parts of these recipes (l store leftover crumbs in the freezer and sometimes have a little of this and a little of that). A trick I learned awhile back is to dip the meat or fish in the beaten egg, then the crumbs, and then put the breaded pieces on a cookie sheet and freeze (yes, put in the freezer) for about 10 minutes before frying. Somehow, the coatings seem to stick better and be crispier. I was told this is done in Japanese restaurants. All I know is that it works!

Hope this helps, Ginny
rexsreine is offline   Reply With Quote