Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2007, 05:33 PM   #1
Come join us on the Game Board

Location: retired now - I ski 50+ days annually and do marathons. 1st TIME GRANDMOTHER 6/18/07
Gallery: Sharon
Stats: GO UCLA - BEAT USC. ALWAYS STAY POSITIVE
Frozen Yogurt Recipes

I just bought an ice cream maker but really want to make frozen yogurt recipes. Does anyone have any favorites? The one in the recipe book calls for light corn syrup - YUCK!! I was going to substitute that with Splenda so will that work?
Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2007, 10:03 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Low Carb Mommy
Stats: 175/118 /New wt. 153/123/115
WOE: Atkins & Watching Calories-Starting over
Start Date: September 2006/2014
I would love one too!
Low Carb Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 05:25 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
This isn't a true recipe, but I used to make it quite a bit. Get your favorite sugarfree jello. Mix it in 1 cup of boiling water. Then use the 1 cup of yogurt( I use whole milk plain), instead of your 1 cup cold water. Sweeten to taste. Stick in fridge, Use whenever you want. It does stick to the sides of the ice cream freezer, but I just eat those parts too as they melt off. Delicious flavor.
Alternatively, you can make it with plain gelatine( I think a pcaket), some koolaid, some sweetener, and 1 cup of boiling water. Then the 1 cup of yogurt. Proceed as before. This way I get lemonade sherbert and other interesting flavors.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 06:24 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Low Carb Mommy
Stats: 175/118 /New wt. 153/123/115
WOE: Atkins & Watching Calories-Starting over
Start Date: September 2006/2014
Soobee~Do you ever just put it in the freezer and let it freeze that way? Sometimes I don't want to get out my ice cream freezer.
Low Carb Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 03:58 PM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
What about trying this Kevin's way..by freezing the yogurt mixture in ice cube trays, then blending it in a blender..?
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 06:08 PM   #6

Location: retired now - I ski 50+ days annually and do marathons. 1st TIME GRANDMOTHER 6/18/07
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
What about trying this Kevin's way..by freezing the yogurt mixture in ice cube trays, then blending it in a blender..?
This sounds very interesting with no ice cream maker necessary.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:22 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: clyde
Stats: 167/118/110 Height 5'6"
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Restart 12/07/06
My favorite frozen yogurt is when you mix it with sugar free jello, (I like peach), 1 1/2 cups of water, a little extract (I use vanilla but I wish I could find peach), 2 cups of plain yogurt - chill until cold (maybe 30 minutes), then pour it into the ice cream maker.

Out of the ice-cream maker it is "da bomb", but it does freeze hard as a rock - I just nuke it for a few seconds and it's good to go.

One day I'd like to make low carb peach ice-cream (can you tell I'm craving peach?), but for now this really helps the craving!
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 09:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
My favorite frozen yogurt is when you mix it with sugar free jello, (I like peach)
This is the second recipe postwith sugar-free jello. I would have never thought about adding that to yogurt. Thanks for the idea.
Old 06-15-2007, 06:10 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Hi Sharon!

I'm so impressed by your stats!

I just bought my ice cream/yogurt maker last year and like you, was so disappointed in the recipes that came with it. I have the kind that you store the drum in the freezer and if it's going to take up that valuable space - by gosh - I want to use it!

I'm not big on experimenting so if you come up with some fun and yummy things to do with yours - please post them!
Old 06-15-2007, 06:16 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
I have never tried putting it into the freezer directly. I suspect the only way it would work is to use Carolynf's suggestion of making ice cubes and then processing it.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 06:37 AM   #11
MRM
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MRM
[COLOR="Magenta"]So are yall saying, you just take plain whole milk yogurt and mix it with jello - then put that in the ice cube tray and then after frozen put it in the food processor?

And that is it???[/COLOR]
MRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 11:50 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Soobee:

I'm trying your version of the jello recipe right now. Yours has less water and it seems like it might be creamier than mine....although I used two cups of yogurt - the flavor might be peachier with your concentration.

Thanks!

I'm going to try Kevin's ice-cube method to store the leftovers.

MRM: I'm pretty sure that method would work - skipping the ice-cream maker altogether. If you give it a try - let us know how it turns out!!
Old 06-15-2007, 03:04 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 7PAWS
I was watching Barefoot Contessa yesterday on Food Network and they were making a Yogurt Sorbet. It looked so simple and good as the only ingredients were egg whites, sugar and yogurt. Might be pretty simple to convert to LC:

Yogurt Sorbet
Copyright, 2004, Patricia Wells, All Rights Reserved
Show: Barefoot Contessa
Episode: Cooking Lite

3 extra-large egg whites*
2/3 cup sugar
3 cups plain non-fat yogurt

With a hand-held mixer, beat the egg whites in a medium bowl, until frothy. While still beating, slowly add the sugar and beat on high speed until the egg whites are stiff and shiny, about 4 minutes. (This can also be done in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment).

In another bowl, whisk the yogurt until smooth. Fold in the egg whites. Transfer the mixture to an ice cream freezer and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions. Freeze in a quart container until ready to serve.
7PAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 05:13 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7PAWS View Post
I was watching Barefoot Contessa yesterday on Food Network and they were making a Yogurt Sorbet. It looked so simple and good as the only ingredients were egg whites, sugar and yogurt. Might be pretty simple to convert to LC:

Yogurt Sorbet
Copyright, 2004, Patricia Wells, All Rights Reserved
Show: Barefoot Contessa
Episode: Cooking Lite

3 extra-large egg whites*
2/3 cup sugar
3 cups plain non-fat yogurt

With a hand-held mixer, beat the egg whites in a medium bowl, until frothy. While still beating, slowly add the sugar and beat on high speed until the egg
whites are stiff and shiny, about 4 minutes. (This can also be done in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment).

In another bowl, whisk the yogurt until smooth. Fold in the egg whites. Transfer the mixture to an ice cream freezer and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions. Freeze in a quart container until ready to serve.
Thanks for this one as it sounds fabulous. I'll just change out the sugar for Splenda.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:09 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aquarian
Stats: 297/267/155
WOE: Lean Protein, Very Limited Carbs - Kimkins
Start Date: Restarted 04/12/2007
Wow, you guys have just hipped me to some new yogurt "game"! Thanx, I'm going to try the icecube method once I get one of those Donvier yogurt cheese makers!
Aquarian is offline   Reply With Quote